Moment of the Week?

It's a secret! (waffles)
No peeking!
Hanners continuing to peek anyway.
The unmentionable DAAAAAANG
Pintsize's coma
"Damn, girl!"
Mister gentleman
First he was all :D, and then he was :), but soon he was :|, and finally he was :(
BOOBS!
Happy Arbor Day 2003!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011  (Read 235865 times)

AnAverageWriter

Re: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011
« Reply #550 on: 18 Nov 2011, 00:54 »

I wasn't getting worked up (in fact, I was trying to phrase it to be vaguely witty), and I knew you were talking about the general public (that's kind of hard to misinterpret); I was noting that we are not the general public.

You mean "you".

One would wager that quite a bit of that "general public" visits the comic and enjoys it as well, as well as pops in and out of the forum. Quite rather, in fact, if the only ones that went on here were limited to the strict and rigid limitations you proscribe, that would be a rather boring populace.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #551 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:02 »

I could have sworn Marten was in his mid thirties, which was why he's always so mopey about what he's doing in life and how much he's accomplished and stuff.

He's in his early-mid-twenties? Damn. How does one come to be so world-wearly at such a young age? What, did something sneak up on him in the night and drain him of his wonderlust?
Hu ? I had doubts about my life goals back when I was 13 ... I fail to see why you need to be 30+ to think about your life.
Carpe Diem

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #552 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:27 »

@AnAverageWriter:
Why? Why are you pushing this?

I think I may have made a mistake in my phrasing- I never intended to connect the prior conversation with the one I am having with Westrim. I'm certainly not trying to push anything. I was quite simply pointing out that the entire populace that visits the site and forum doesn't proscribe to the very limited "we are this" conventions he labelled everyone with. None of us endorse racial slurs, bigotry or the "s-word". I apologize if I came across the wrong way.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 01:33 by AnAverageWriter »

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #553 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:29 »

Ah.

westrim

« Reply #554 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:37 »

Damn the internet! When will we be able to convey tone through pixels. ><

But at least I got what you were trying to say... I still don't know why anyone would ever think of a forum's userbase as some kind of "general anything" :-D
I'm waiting for the day when we can write and read via brain interfaces.

One would wager that quite a bit of that "general public" visits the comic and enjoys it as well, as well as pops in and out of the forum. Quite rather, in fact, if the only ones that went on here were limited to the strict and rigid limitations you proscribe, that would be a rather boring populace.
No, I mean 'we', due to observation of past discussions, demographics, what we're reading, and a hunch. I would be much surprised if a majority of the forum (if we somehow conducted a poll of everyone that's come here, past and present) shared any of the views noted as being those of the majority of the population. Except the illiteracy one, that's depressingly widespread.

@AnAverageWriter:
Why? Why are you pushing this?
You should check a persons previous posts before making claims about their past behavior.

For some reason my writing tonight seems extremely dry to me. Maybe I'm just tired. It's probably from riding too long on the town bicycle. (I propose a mustache tag for every comment with innuendo, as follows :{   )

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #555 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:58 »

@Comic:
So... basically, Marten just has a problem with her leaving? ... jeeeeeeeeeeeeez, what a drama-queen.

edit:
And Faye is right to call him an idiot.

Also, will Marten now have to do the thing with Hanners, since there is no ready male available? Awkward. °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #556 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:03 »

But what is Hanners reacting to anyway?  I can't see any reason for her to be saying AUGH; even Pintsize's antics at this point appear to be as innocent as he is capable of.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #557 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:05 »

Shes reacting to pintsize throwing sprinklethings in the air.

Also... I'd expected more from Faye then that.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #558 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:08 »

This particular scene back at the apartment just started and you seem to think it's over already. Give it time; Jeph's a slow-paced storyteller.

Oh, Marten. But I love his "I KNOW" in the last panel  :lol:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #559 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:09 »

I propose a mustache tag for every comment with innuendo, as follows :{ 

I like it!

You can also add a goatee.  :{>

Or a little gnome hat. <:{>
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #560 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:10 »

Marten's expression on the "Boobs!!!" panel made my day, I'd buy a big print of that, frame it and hang it on my house living room.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #561 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:13 »

Even for Hanners that seems a bit over-sensitive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #562 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:16 »

Oh, Marten. But I love his "I KNOW" in the last panel  :lol:

Yep, that made the comic.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

westrim

« Reply #563 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:17 »

I thought she was reacting to the Arbor day banner and the balloons (assuming that's what the ribbons are attached to). Is that meant to be an indication of what the day is in QCverse, or is it just a random banner Pintsize had (and how did he get it up there?)

I propose a mustache tag for every comment with innuendo, as follows :{ 

I like it!

You can also add a goatee.  :{>

Or a little gnome hat. <:{>
And if it costs money, then :{$

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #564 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:21 »

I could have sworn Marten was in his mid thirties, which was why he's always so mopey about what he's doing in life and how much he's accomplished and stuff.

He's in his early-mid-twenties? Damn. How does one come to be so world-wearly at such a young age? What, did something sneak up on him in the night and drain him of his wonderlust?
Hu ? I had doubts about my life goals back when I was 13 ... I fail to see why you need to be 30+ to think about your life.
Thinking about life, having doubts for sure. Just seems a little young to be flatout defeated by life. He's like a walking Toby Kieth playlist.

"I Love this bar"
"Should've been a cowboy"
"Woman's touch"
"Ain't as good as I once was"
"We Were in love"

And then where even the most forlorn soul would move on to "Big ol' Truck" and then "How do you like me now", he just loops back to "I love this bar" and starts over again.

Not saying his behavior is unrealistic or anything. I'd view it as a tad atypical, but he's always been that and that's a good thing. It just really changes the way I see him to find out he is the way he is at such a young age. Turns what I'd previously assumed to be the product of half a lifetime of crushing failure leading into a dead end devoid of hope or opportunity into another kind of issue entirely.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #565 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:21 »

Marten, you described Padma's boobs as "rad"...

...I'd slap you, but you're apparently trapped in the year 1988.  :-P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #566 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:22 »

I thought she was reacting to the Arbor day banner and the balloons (assuming that's what the ribbons are attached to). Is that meant to be an indication of what the day is in QCverse, or is it just a random banner Pintsize had (and how did he get it up there?)

Same random banner that he pulled out for Faye and Angus.  As for how, there were a couple of early comics in which Pintsize walked on the ceiling.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 02:30 by pwhodges »

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #567 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:23 »

The banner is a reference to comic 1889.  Jeph loves his call-backs.

As for the rest of the strip, all I will say is that for many people there is more to life than just good sex and rad boobs, and Marten seems to be one of those people.  And there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.
"It's not safe there."

Dust

« Reply #568 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:29 »

She probably saw what he made the confetti out of..  :psyduck:

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #569 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:43 »

She probably saw what he made the confetti out of..  :psyduck:

Or she's thinking about Marten and Padma sexing that scares her... But I don't think so.
Edit: or she just walked in and got jumbled up.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #570 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:45 »

For comic #2060...

1. Art-wise, I liked Jeph's "seesaw" of Marten's commentary.

2. Poor Marten, he should have stopped at "BOOBS!" (of which panel #5 also made me laugh too), or possibly "rad boobs."  But yes, I agree with Faye being correct in Marten being an idiot for overthinking this.

3. @pwhodges... Panel #7 also made me wonder as well.  I am guessing Hannelore's "AUGH" reaction is from the confetti being scattered and causing a hard-to-clean mess.

4. Again, it appears the couch is very low &/or close to the floor from the way their legs & feet are positioned.  But that could just be my weary eyes and mind.

5. I too approve of the moustache tag :{ , we need an emoticon with one.  Preferably with Yosemite Sam level "handlebar" moustaches.

6. And this is not insanity...

- THIS...IS...SPARTA!  *kicks musicalsoul*

- [to off-screen]: What?  This is not Sparta...?  It is the QC-WCDT...?

- [to screen]: I guess this is insanity after all.  [calls out] Fetch me my green straight-jacket and #2 ball-gag!
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 08:39 by pendrake »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #571 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:50 »

(4.) Some couches are that low.  I've got one, and know others who have similar.

sluthy

« Reply #572 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:57 »

Hannelore was startled by Pintsize. He might've been loud or unexpected. Yeah it's uncharacteristically jumpy for her but hey, it's hanners. Her character isn't exactly consistant.

How do we know that Padma is not sitting at her place right now agonising over exactly the same thing? Happy that she got a booty call, but now even more depressed about her impending departure? Most probably not, since her lackadaisical approach to just about everything we've seen so far suggests she's not exactly one to overthink situations, but her next strip appearance will be interesting.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #573 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:04 »

Amazingly, it's not that it hit him after walking her home.  Apparantly it was hitting him the whole time they were hitting it off...

I can't imagine that constantly going back to it, he had that good a time. 

Or that they didn't talk about it at least a little that morning.  Like when Padma said, "What?" 

Dude, she left you an opening.  Take it.  Talk to her for a few.  Tell her what's in your head.  'cause it's probably in hers, too. 

And pillowtalk is a good great  way to get to know your new friend better. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

sluthy

« Reply #574 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:06 »

Wait - is Faye saying to Marten "you're an idiot for hooking up with her" or "you're an idiot for feeling this way about the hookup"? Everyone but Marten seemed to be keen on Marten-Padma sexy-times.

Oh, and surprise - Marten's bags are back.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #575 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:07 »

As for the rest of the strip, all I will say is that for many people there is more to life than just good sex and rad boobs, and Marten seems to be one of those people.  And there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I would say there is more to life than just good sex and rad boobs, no matter who you are. There is only the people who have realized this and those who have not - with Marten right now somewhere in between. That's my view, at least.

Too bad we didn't get to see any pillowtalk. They must have talked about something, right?
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #576 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:09 »

We saw some...

"Your boobs are amazing"

"I know, right?"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

VyperX

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #577 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:13 »

Glad to see Marten being self-aware enough to realize he's being an idiot. And he didn't even need to get slapped for it this time!

It'll be interesting to see how their eventually phone call will go. So much speculation going on about Padma that it's hard to predict what will happen. (Although I'm still pretty certain there was no malintent behind it.)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

akronnick

« Reply #578 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:19 »

Let's not forget that Faye and Angus still have unresolved issues.

I have a feeling that the next few weeks of QC are going to have content that is unusually questionable. :{
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #579 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:20 »

We saw some...

"Your boobs are amazing"

"I know, right?"

Well, yes, but that was before sleep. I'm guessing the morning makes for more interesting talk. (guessing, since I haven't tried it myself yet)
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #580 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:42 »

A party is cause for a one-night stand.  Not the other way around.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #581 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:53 »

Aaaand our indecisive wishywashy hero is back. Now I'll just have to make up -my own- mind, should the reaction for this  be "D'aww" or "D'oh!". Can't really decide yet. (in retrospect, the title was damn fitting..)

Probably a lil' bit of both. The fact that Padma is leaving wasn't a suprise to him, but he chose to make some kind of effort nevertheless, and it resulted in sexytimes. I think this was the first time (totally not sure about this one, someone with better archieve-fu check) he decided to live in the moment and consequences be damned.

Personally, I hope that we would see more of Padma in the future.

As for the debate about their one-night stand....  :psyduck: oh.. my.. god..  :psyduck:
Both knew what they were doing (more or less :P ), and no-one got hurt (random mopery next morning doesn't count  :roll: ) , I'd say just the opposite..  :evil:
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

akronnick

« Reply #582 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:55 »

D'oww! (?)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #583 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:58 »

[ ... ] So much speculation going on about Padma that it's hard to predict what will happen. (Although I'm still pretty certain there was no malintent behind it.)
Which, if it turns out to be correct, will be a huge bummer for everyone looking for a good old antagonist-protagonist situation in this comic.  :-P

Also, I think the whole "Your boobs are amazing" conversation was placed there by Jeph to convey to the reader that it IS NOT an awkward one-night-stand.
(I had one of those awkward ones one time. It got much better eventually but the beginning of the next morning was very, very silently awkward. So it does not make for more interesting talk.)

edit:
"But she's leaving" somehow sounds to me like "But I can never make her stay." ... poor guy.
Yet another girl he can't profess his undying love to because of external circumstances out of his control. (See: Faye, Tequila Monster)

edit2:
Yay, 200!
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 04:03 by Soulsynger »

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #584 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:05 »

Also, I think the whole "Your boobs are amazing" conversation was placed there by Jeph to convey to the reader that it IS NOT an awkward one-night-stand.

Gotta agree on this one. The prime example of awkward could the discussion between Marten and Elliot. (thou the context is quite different, the awkwardness is almost touchable  :-D )
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #585 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:07 »

Ladies and gentlemen and those yet undecided(*), I give you: "BOOBS!" (SFW)

* Disclaimer: courtesy of my old English teacher. No offense intended.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #586 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:51 »

Good edit, Loki. I'd just suggest changing Pintsize's line as well.

ihaveavoice

« Reply #587 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:53 »

[ ... ] I've never had that specific kind of fun but I still know that it doesn't have some sort of magical tainting effect on a woman's value as a person, regardless of how much she has or with whom.
Oooph... compare that point of view with that of the general public opinion about girls that do one-night-stands. Prepare to be surprised.

Surprised? Umkay. Have I magically grown to adulthood without having any contact with or awareness of the general public, then? The general public is content to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" or "bad," sees no issue with a white person appropriating some mish-mash of Native American cultural dress and calling it a "drunken Indian" costume, will not only condemn a woman for having consensual sex, but blame her for being raped as well - and honestly, listing all the ways the general public has things wrong is not worth anyone's time. Nor is acting like the archaic, prejudiced, backward thinking of large swaths of society somehow has any bearing on the inherent value of a person or that the views of the majority must hold some kind of sway over my own.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #588 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:56 »

Happy Arbor Day 2003, y'all!

ihaveavoice

« Reply #589 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:57 »

The "BOOBS!" panel looks like it's been altered when viewed out of context, lol! Like you'd ask, "Okay, what was Marten really saying there?"

Over-under on how long it takes for that panel to get removed from its context and handed around the internet? Or has that technically already happened? I see that more as multiplication, maybe a non-hostile take-over of the strip.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #590 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:01 »

[ ... ]Nor is acting like the archaic, prejudiced, backward thinking of large swaths of society somehow has any bearing on the inherent value of a person or that the views of the majority must hold some kind of sway over my own.
So glad to hear you say that. (...read you having typed that ... wha? °O)

Wasn't my intention to accuse you of accepting any general opinion as your own. No hard ones? (Feelings.)

ihaveavoice

« Reply #591 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:04 »

Ha, I get confused about the heard/seen/read thing, too. Colloquialism or accuracy? Which wins??  :psyduck:

No hard feelings.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #592 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:24 »

The general public is content to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" or "bad," sees no issue with a white person appropriating some mish-mash of Native American cultural dress and calling it a "drunken Indian" costume, will not only condemn a woman for having consensual sex, but blame her for being raped as well

That's one pretty damn awful general public you've been subjected to. I would imagine our encounters with said general differ depending on our location. You around the Southern US perhaps?
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 05:29 by AnAverageWriter »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #593 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:58 »

So... my students won't think highly of me, if I pull off this  :cry: :cry:
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #594 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:09 »

I doubt she paid any attention. I mean, why start now?

Quote of the year right 'chere.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #595 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:19 »

The general public is content to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" or "bad," sees no issue with a white person appropriating some mish-mash of Native American cultural dress and calling it a "drunken Indian" costume, will not only condemn a woman for having consensual sex, but blame her for being raped as well

That's one pretty damn awful general public you've been subjected to. I would imagine our encounters with said general differ depending on our location. You around the Southern US perhaps?

Hardly.  Attitudes like that can be found all over.  There was a stink last year, and rightfully so, when the "best costume" prize at a Campbellford, Ontario Halloween party was won by a man in a KKK costume and his friend in blackface, who was led around by a rope as his slave.   Gay as  a synonym for weak etc. is common up here.  Etc. etc.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #596 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:23 »

Back to actual comic talk.  I would imagine Hannelore is not a big fan of confetti, especially in her personal space.  The stuff flies all over the place, gets stuck on clothing and shoes, and bits problably turn up weeks or months after you thought you got it all.  And we all know about her obsessive nature, so those kind of factors would probably really bother her.

westrim

« Reply #597 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:33 »

Back to actual comic talk.  I would imagine Hannelore is not a big fan of confetti, especially in her personal space.  The stuff flies all over the place, gets stuck on clothing and shoes, and bits problably turn up weeks or months after you thought you got it all.  And we all know about her obsessive nature, so those kind of factors would probably really bother her.
I believe it's glitter that's gonorrhea, so is confetti chlamydia?

EDIT: No, glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts. I guess I just alliterated it to another STD.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 06:59 by Westrim »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #598 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:35 »

Ew, where did that come from?  On second thoughts, don't tell me...

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #599 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:07 »

What's wrong with saying, rad? I think it sounds rad.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up