Moment of the Week?

It's a secret! (waffles)
No peeking!
Hanners continuing to peek anyway.
The unmentionable DAAAAAANG
Pintsize's coma
"Damn, girl!"
Mister gentleman
First he was all :D, and then he was :), but soon he was :|, and finally he was :(
BOOBS!
Happy Arbor Day 2003!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011  (Read 232589 times)

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011
« Reply #600 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:09 »

Usually I sympathize with Marten and find his angst funny and/or understandable, but my first reaction to #2060 was, "God DAMN IT Marten, don't look gift boobs in the mouth!"

Also, from Jeph's tumbldump:

[fan question] wow, I actualy already lived today’s comic(2059) from elioth’s point of view… did that situation ever happend to you from any of the caracters perspective?

[Jeph] I’ve been in Marten’s current situation before.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #601 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:16 »

I am starting to feel bad for Marten, so I made this.

I am NOT proud of myself.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #602 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:47 »

Usually I sympathize with Marten and find his angst funny and/or understandable, but my first reaction to #2060 was, "God DAMN IT Marten, don't look gift boobs in the mouth!"

o_O ... I think I saw that in one of the Lucifer comics.  Or perhaps Sandman: Season of mists.

Oh, and Hanners is just having trouble counting the confetti.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #603 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:59 »

Okay, while I agree stoutfiles does get carried away with his accusations sometimes, the point he's trying to make is looking sharper and sharper all the time.  Let's face it, this does not paint Padma in a good light.  According to Elliot, she specifically said she doesn't want to get involved with anyone before she left.  So what does she do?  Hook up with Marten for a one-night stand, without first making sure he's comfortable with a one-night stand.  And as it turns out he isn't.

Despite the "underwear clue" I honestly feel that this was a spontaneous thing. Both Padma and Marten had probably been considering the possibility, but neither of them planned it ahead of time. You don't stop in the middle of spontaneous, drunken make-outs to make sure that the other person is comfortable with this being a one-time thing. Perhaps that would be the "appropriate" thing to do, but it isn't the most realistic thing.

I fail to see the whole "Padma is an evil slut who is taking advantage of nice ol' Marten" angle that is being suggested.*

*I know you didn't actually call her a slut. I'm being hyperbolic.

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #604 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:02 »

Some people are made for possible one-night-no-strings-attached things, others are not.
He clearly isn't made for that kind of thing. He probably won't do that again.
I'm not either, but I know that so I never did that. Monogamous long term relationships, fuck yeah.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #605 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:04 »

Someone in a previous thread had posted about Marten's ability to 'do casual' / have casual sex.  Guess this answers the question.  Some guys just can't have the sex without a certain emotional attachment to the partner...

But, again, consenting adults. Do the deed, deal with the consequences, same as everyone else.

...y'know, there's absolutely nothing showing Padma is a love 'em and leave 'em kind of gal. Zero. Zip. Nada. Only that she doesn't have the greatest self-censoring and a little oblivious, but that's about it.  Again, the only one who's been a real sleazeball about hooking up and disregarding emotional attachments has been, well, Sven.  

SQUEEZE BOX

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #606 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:33 »

For comic #2060...
6. And this is not insanity...

- THIS...IS...SPARTA!  *kicks musicalsoul*

- [to off-screen]: What?  This is not Sparta...?  It is the QC-WCDT...?

- [to screen]: I guess this is insanity after all.  [calls out] Fetch me my green straight-jacket and #2 ball-gag!

I think that this made me giggle far more than is appropriate.  :-D

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #607 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:52 »

The general public is content to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" or "bad," sees no issue with a white person appropriating some mish-mash of Native American cultural dress and calling it a "drunken Indian" costume, will not only condemn a woman for having consensual sex, but blame her for being raped as well

That's one pretty damn awful general public you've been subjected to. I would imagine our encounters with said general differ depending on our location. You around the Southern US perhaps?

Why does everyone always assume when there's a generally negative opinion coming from the general public, it just HAS TO BE from the south?

I mean I get it, we're the Bible Belt, we're ass backwards uneducated hicks who don't have running water and do nothing all day but shoot guns at them damn blacks and gays and we love to lynch people because dammit the south will rise again!

But really, that stereotype, it gets old. Ignorance like that is not just based in the southern part of the United States. And perhaps I'm being just a little bit too defensive at the moment, but the whole thing just riles me up because I grew up in a teeny-tiny town in Alabama, that actually ass backwards and I've lived in yet another teeny-tiny town that wasn't. And when I lived in Virginia, I found myself having to defend my old school basically saying "no, I'm not dumb because I'm from there, I'm actually ahead of where you guys are are right now) and now that I live here in Metro-Atlanta, I see a little bit of everything. Extreme open-mindedness, crazy vegans, crazy bible thumpers, and rednecks. Like I said, ignorance is not exclusive to the south, and I get so tired of having to prove to people I'm not an idiot just because I talk kind of slow and I say the word y'all.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #608 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:57 »

Ladies and gentlemen and those yet undecided(*), I give you: "BOOBS!" (SFW)

* Disclaimer: courtesy of my old English teacher. No offense intended.

You inspired me to edit my avatar.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #609 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:58 »

I have to agree with musicalsoul. There are more rednecks up here in Northern Wisconsin than you could find in Middle Tennessee.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #610 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:22 »

I think we'd all be hard pressed to find any states where rednecks/hillbillies/similar country folk aren't located...i live in New York and we have more than I'd like to admit.  :-P

perhaps the densely wooded areas/prime hunting grounds are to blame here...
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #611 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:54 »

Without going into a lot of very dull personal history, I've had dating experiences that mirror Marten's fairly well (up until the Dora breakup, I'm still with my Dora, and my Dora is also Padma, in that she's soon [amicably] leaving never to return.)
I guess I expected Marten to conclude as I did that what is best in relationships is to crush your anxieties for the future, embrace the opportunities before you, and wring as much fun as possible as you can out of the time left.
That may even be what attitude Marten comes around to in a comic or two, I guess it would have been pretty unMartenlike if he got there without being anxious. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #612 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:58 »

perhaps the densely wooded areas/prime hunting grounds are to blame here...

Why, you just described 90% of Northern Wisconsin! (The rest is lakes and rivers.)
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #613 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:27 »

Shes reacting to pintsize throwing sprinklethings in the air.

Even for Hanners that seems a bit over-sensitive.
Hey, you wanna try counting those? And they're not falling in a symmetrical pattern, either. Then there's clean-up, which can be nightmareish on anything but a tile floor — you'll find bits around for weeks afterwards. Yes, I'm sure confetti hits quite a few of Hannelore's many buttons.

I have undies that have things written on the butt (I don't think any of them actually say 'sassy' though  :-P).
I really miss Phil Hartman. (Couldn't find a single clip of his Sassy magazine bit, either. Dammit)
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #614 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:35 »

Ladies and gentlemen and those yet undecided(*), I give you: "BOOBS!" (SFW)

* Disclaimer: courtesy of my old English teacher. No offense intended.

The only improvement would be in the last panel, Faye saying "YOU'RE  a BooB!"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #615 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:52 »

Why does everyone always assume when there's a generally negative opinion coming from the general public, it just HAS TO BE from the south?

I mean I get it, we're the Bible Belt, we're ass backwards uneducated hicks who don't have running water and do nothing all day but shoot guns at them damn blacks and gays and we love to lynch people because dammit the south will rise again!

But really, that stereotype, it gets old. Ignorance like that is not just based in the southern part of the United States. And perhaps I'm being just a little bit too defensive at the moment, but the whole thing just riles me up because I grew up in a teeny-tiny town in Alabama, that actually ass backwards and I've lived in yet another teeny-tiny town that wasn't. And when I lived in Virginia, I found myself having to defend my old school basically saying "no, I'm not dumb because I'm from there, I'm actually ahead of where you guys are are right now) and now that I live here in Metro-Atlanta, I see a little bit of everything. Extreme open-mindedness, crazy vegans, crazy bible thumpers, and rednecks. Like I said, ignorance is not exclusive to the south, and I get so tired of having to prove to people I'm not an idiot just because I talk kind of slow and I say the word y'all.

Thank you. I grew up and live in Athens, Georgia, and I get really tired of the stupid stereotype that I have to face just because of that. (PS: Athens, being a college town, is hugely liberal guys, its not hickville, stop thinking hickville is the only thing in the south, or that its exclusive to the south. Also, Atlanta is really diverse)

As for Hanners... she is probably just startled because she thinks she just time travelled to Arbor Day of 2003.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #616 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:07 »

Thank you. I grew up and live in Athens, Georgia, and I get really tired of the stupid stereotype that I have to face just because of that. (PS: Athens, being a college town, is hugely liberal guys, its not hickville, stop thinking hickville is the only thing in the south, or that its exclusive to the south. Also, Atlanta is really diverse)

As for Hanners... she is probably just startled because she thinks she just time travelled to Arbor Day of 2003.
As long as we're taking offense to things, can I take offense to the implication that if you aren't a college educated liberal, you're a stupid hick?  Or is that meant to sum up the major political groups of the Amercan south?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #617 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:15 »

I have no idea if it works in America that way, but I was assuming that people are more open-minded because there are all kinds of people from all over the place moving there because it's a college town.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ChristineIrene

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #618 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:25 »

It is getting way too personal in this week's comic discussion thread.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #619 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:33 »

As long as we're taking offense to things, can I take offense to the implication that if you aren't a college educated liberal, you're a stupid hick?  Or is that meant to sum up the major political groups of the Amercan south?

I don't think that was the intention of the "Athens is a college town we're liberal" comment. But then again, maybe it was, I can't actually say for sure. My original point was that the entire southern region of this country shouldn't be painted with such a wide brush. The stereotype, it bothers me, because it's one I've had to deal with my whole life and I may have been a little bit too defensive in my original post, but like I said, I just get riled up about it. And I personally don't think not having a college education and liberal views makes you a stupid hick. If that were the case, I couldn't have gone on my rant about how not everyone in the south is an uneducated hick. I'm a college drop-out and I'm moderate all the way down the board as far as my political views go.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #620 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:53 »

The stereotype, it bothers me, because it's one I've had to deal with my whole life and I may have been a little bit too defensive in my original post, but like I said, I just get riled up about it. And I personally don't think not having a college education and liberal views makes you a stupid hick. If that were the case, I couldn't have gone on my rant about how not everyone in the south is an uneducated hick. I'm a college drop-out and I'm moderate all the way down the board as far as my political views go.

OH
MY
GOD

Talk about fricking oversensitivity. Yeah, whatever- you could be from Rexburg or Utah or Chicago whatnot. But that's not the first place that comes to mind when it comes to overly large conservative populaces. No need to get your knickers in a twist about it.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 14:06 by AnAverageWriter »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #621 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:53 »

Maybe Marten will learn a life lesson here, that transient happiness is just as real as long-term happiness.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #622 on: 18 Nov 2011, 13:56 »

I don't like what I've kicked loose with my starting statement about the "general public's opinion" anymore... °O

And also... I never knew Americans used the word "redneck" in much the same way Europeans do when they talk about that topic... *spock voice* Fascinating.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Soban

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #623 on: 18 Nov 2011, 14:08 »

AAW, I like the south. I enjoy living in the state that has world's busiest passenger airport.

Now, as for the last few comics. I think that I would classify the encounter as a consensual casual encounter. Marten enjoys the relationship aspect of things and so not being able to have the relationship depresses him. What he should take from this is that the long run of not being in a relationship when he has sex is not going to be enjoyable so he should find people he can have a relationship with.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #624 on: 18 Nov 2011, 14:19 »

AAW, I like the south. I enjoy living in the state that has world's busiest passenger airport.

-Shrug-

Good for you?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

I could have said "Are you in the general vicinity of northern Appalachia" or any other place with a large overly conservative populace and it would have meant the same damn thing. Some people need to just get off the broom they've been sitting on.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #625 on: 18 Nov 2011, 14:31 »

Ahh, the perils of self flagellation.  You'd think that Marten was related to The Albino in this comic.

Or is he 'arbouring tree or four feelings for Padma?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #626 on: 18 Nov 2011, 15:44 »

[removed by moderator, purely political]
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 17:11 by Is it cold in here? »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #627 on: 18 Nov 2011, 15:55 »

Hanners is allergic to confetti.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #628 on: 18 Nov 2011, 17:16 »

(moderator)
Harmless, offtopic fun is part of the culture here. Criticisms of people's backgrounds is harmful, offtopic non-fun. It is time to ease off on the argument (or maybe stop it altogether?).
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #629 on: 18 Nov 2011, 18:04 »

So what was the moment of the week?

(I know, I know - "I know, right? Ever since I was fourteen, it's been like, '#### girl!'")
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #630 on: 18 Nov 2011, 18:28 »

YELLING
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #631 on: 18 Nov 2011, 18:36 »

BOOBS!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #632 on: 18 Nov 2011, 19:11 »

I second jwhouk's.

One thing that bothers me a bit: shouldn't Faye's face be at least slightly bruised after taking that hit last night?
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #633 on: 18 Nov 2011, 19:25 »

What hit?

Oh right, That one.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Cornan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #634 on: 18 Nov 2011, 19:29 »

I second jwhouk's.

One thing that bothers me a bit: shouldn't Faye's face be at least slightly bruised after taking that hit last night?

Nah, the glasses absorbed the impact.

>.>

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #635 on: 18 Nov 2011, 19:50 »

Thank you. I grew up and live in Athens, Georgia
Birthplace of REM and the B-52s! That place always seemed to have a really kick-ass music scene.

I didn't think about the fact Marten's never really had casual relationships; hard for me to understand that mindset, it's very much the opposite of my own (I've never been in a completely monogamous relationship and can't really see myself ever having one, heh.) I'll have to stop being so critical of his reaction ~
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #636 on: 18 Nov 2011, 20:41 »

Maybe Marten will learn a life lesson here, that transient happiness is just as real as long-term happiness.
That's not the issue, I suspect. Marten's still dealing with the let-down from his break-up. No matter how nice that 'transient happiness' is, the come-down from it is going to feel a little like what he's just gone through. Not exactly a 'zipiddy-doo-da' kind of feeling, but more like "screwed up again."

In other words, there's nothing wrong with Padma*, but she's the wrong girl for Marten to be involved with right now. A few months later than this, and I imagine it'd be a different story, and he'd be set to wallow in the transient. Timing is often all the difference.

*No, I'm not forgetting the stonking obliviousness, but that's not pertinent here.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #637 on: 18 Nov 2011, 22:48 »

I'll fix the poll for a moment of the week tomorrow.  Good night, friends!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #638 on: 18 Nov 2011, 23:06 »

Back to actual comic talk.  I would imagine Hannelore is not a big fan of confetti, especially in her personal space.  The stuff flies all over the place, gets stuck on clothing and shoes, and bits problably turn up weeks or months after you thought you got it all.  And we all know about her obsessive nature, so those kind of factors would probably really bother her.

Yes, the confetti will show up for the rest of her life pretty much, some how it will even get on top of the fridge and in the bath tub (speaking from personal experience). Everytime i see confetti now I react in the exact same way, knowing that six months from now you are gonna wake up in the morning and there is a piece of confetti in the middle of your living room that definately wasn't there the ngiht before (once again, personal experience. Confetti and I have a history) could be really bothersome to Hanners.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #639 on: 18 Nov 2011, 23:15 »

So it's like cat hair after your cat is long dead?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #640 on: 18 Nov 2011, 23:21 »

(Don't forget of Montreal)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #641 on: 18 Nov 2011, 23:25 »

So it's like cat hair after your cat is long dead?

Yes, thats the perfect way to describe it.It even sticks to your clothes and everything.

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #642 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:34 »

Fuck. Glitter.

This, basically. I work at Target and I want to throw things every time somebody brings up a Christmas decoration, or a card, or ANYTHING with FUCKING GLITTER on it.

It's a wonder there's any glitter left on the items because it ALL FALLS OFF or seems like it.

AUGH

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #643 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:48 »

That's not the issue, I suspect. Marten's still dealing with the let-down from his break-up. No matter how nice that 'transient happiness' is, the come-down from it is going to feel a little like what he's just gone through. Not exactly a 'zipiddy-doo-da' kind of feeling, but more like "screwed up again."

In other words, there's nothing wrong with Padma*, but she's the wrong girl for Marten to be involved with right now. A few months later than this, and I imagine it'd be a different story, and he'd be set to wallow in the transient. Timing is often all the difference.

*No, I'm not forgetting the stonking obliviousness, but that's not pertinent here.

Great post.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #644 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:19 »

He's known for them. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #645 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:51 »

The only thing worse than confetti is glitter. Fuck glitter. When I was nine years old, my favorite sweater was ruined because some asshole at school threw glitter on me while we were doing an art project. I tried everything. I shook it out, I washed it, I ran a vacuum hose all over it, I got one of those sticky roller thingies and just went to town on it, but it didn't matter. Every time I tried to wear it after that, it got glitter all over the rest of my clothes and made me all itchy. So I had to get rid of my favorite sweater.

Fuck. Glitter.
A million times this.  I was giving my friend a ride to work once, and when she grabbed something out of her purse, a bunch came out and it's still on my dashboard, weeks later.  You can only see it if you know it's there, mostly, but come on, that's my car!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #646 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:55 »

Ha, nice, I wasn't expecting the emoticons to show up in the poll.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #647 on: 19 Nov 2011, 07:29 »

Perhaps this snippet of Demetri Martin is appropriate. Mildly NSFW (discussion of STIs)

FrozenPeas

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #648 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:08 »

One of the hardest forms of addiction to break is addiction to an emotional state. When you're addicted to stress and anger and depression, it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, you will find something to stress out and become angry about (which will then turn into depression).

Stress and anger give us a short boost of adrenaline, which gives us a temporary high, and make us feel like we're in control of situations that we're totally not--after all, we're caring about the situation, and that's like doing something, isn't it? And then depression kicks in once we realize just how powerless (or, if not powerless, ineffectual) we are--and, as a nice little button, often helps us embrace victimhood as an excuse for not making the changes in our lives that would end the cycle.

Eventually, we get habituated to existing in a particular mental state, and WILL find whatever way is available to keep us in that mental state. My theory is that half the people in the world (probably more) who follow either sports or politics only do so because they want an excuse to be outraged at any given time.

And here's where it comes back 'round to the comic: Marten lives in a headspace of uncertainty and a vague sense of mild depression. That's home to him; it's where he's comfortable, because he understands it. He doesn't enjoy it (who would?), but, speaking as someone wallowing in a crappy job, apartment, and city, I gotta tell you, it's hard to leave the devil you know for the angel you don't.

Marten isn't Al Bundy--he doesn't have to stay in a particular headspace because the series would be over without it, so I don't think that this is just a way of maintaining the status quo. Really, Jeph has never been a creator who embraces the status quo style of comic-writing; I think this is Jeph really playing out the character logically: Marten grabs things that he think will make him happy, but, because he isn't changing the way he approaches life, he ends up spoiling it for himself by hunting down whatever will ruin the experience for him. The fact that he recognizes that is a good thing, though... if he does something about it.

So, really, this was probably just a thing that happened on the way to other things and its immediacy is the only thing giving it real importance (although it is a nice little ticking time-bomb in his friendship with Elliot).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #649 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:15 »

TL; DR - but I'm betting it's a good post.

Anyways, I'm already in for Padma's "I know!" comment, so my vote went accordingly.

I'm familiar with both the issues of Glitter and cat hair. My stepmom swore they were still finding gray cat hairs years after my parents' cat died.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up