They actually show INTEREST in you!
- 32 (15%)
Same racist murdercult as you.
- 9 (4.2%)
Same music tastes as you.
- 1 (0.5%)
They like waffles!
- 7 (3.3%)
They like taking polls in webcomic forums.
- 5 (2.3%)
They're breathing.
- 10 (4.7%)
No reason.
- 10 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2081-85 (Christmas Week - Dec. 19-23, 2011)  (Read 68938 times)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Re: WCDT 2081-85 (Christmas Week - Dec. 19-23, 2011)
« Reply #100 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:10 »

Marten STILL hasn't put on any pants.
He's allowed now, you can wear casual in your home.
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #101 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:38 »

Wow, you must have really - er - short arms...

Nice recovery.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #102 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:29 »

He's not going to walk straight past his worrying friend for trivia like that.

I was GOING to say something about how his-room-where-pants-are is right there (and thus no need to walk by), and was going to bring up this comic ... but I got distracted by the fact that in between then and now the apartment wall seems to have somehow shrunk in on itself by a good four feet, losing the Mogwai poster in the process.

I... get distracted by things.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #103 on: 20 Dec 2011, 03:38 »

Is it bad I want a map to Faye and Marten's flat now? Just to get a sense of where everything is.

I normally don't like to critique the artwork, but I just don't like the way Faye is sitting. Having a body type similar to hers...well, girls like us don't pull our knees to our chests very often like that because it is a bit difficult to get your arms around everything. Just my two cents...

As someone of Faye's body type, I had to try sitting like that.  :lol: For me getting my arms around everything was no problem but you'd have to do it with a back to the chair. Sitting up in bed I felt like I was going to pull myself over.

On Elliot's dialogue yesterday, I thought the gist of the conversation was grand. It was Elliot's mini-speech in the last panel that sounded sort of forced to me. Like no one would say it naturally, outside of some kind of self-improvement seminar.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #104 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:06 »

I'm really not getting this "soapbox" vibe everyone else is feeling. I saw it as a simple exit retort. It also shows us something about Elliot's character and method.

As for the "out of character" nature of his congratulation, I don't think it is at all. When you've been hopelessly pining after someone for a long time, getting a sudden reality check can snap you out of it very quickly. A few years ago now, there was a girl I'd been pining after for a couple of years. I never told anyone. One day, I was talking to her, and I just realised "this is never gonna happen". And I wouldn't say I was over it just like that, but I very quickly came to terms with the fact and moved on.

Elliot is a well-meaning bloke, certainly not a confrontational type. I can believe that he would be genuinely happy for Marten, without necessarily being completely over Padma. But he's accepted it won't happen, and if anybody's gotta be with her, he knows Marten isn't a bad guy.

Is it bad I want a map to Faye and Marten's flat now? Just to get a sense of where everything is.

Knock yourself out.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #105 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:32 »

Knock yourself out.

Welll now that picture creates even more questions! Presumably it means that in the current comic, in panel 1 Marten is walking around the bend past the bathroom, and as he approaches in panel 2 Faye is sitting on the grey couch in front of her room... but in panel 3 we have yet another wall! The couch ends right there at the wall, with nary but a lamp between, and... Marten's room *does not exist*. The apartment ends right at the blue tree poster.

I need to stop thinking about this...

I think they just moved the furniture around. People do that!

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 04:38 by AnAverageWriter »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #106 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:47 »

I don't think the furnishing is right in that sketch - I can't recall any evidence that there are two sofas, for a start.

But in today's strip, yes, the first door is the bathroom, and then the next is Marten's room as we have gone right past the Mogwai poster and Faye's door to reach the couch.  And the couch doesn't end at the wall - it is spaced away from both the wall behind it and the one at the left, which makes it rather non-obvious to see.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #107 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:51 »

I don't think the furnishing is right in that sketch - I can't recall any evidence that there are two sofas, for a start.

You can see the brown couch against the wall in this strip.

Now that I think about it, I think the sketch works if you take the entire living room set- (sofas, lamp/table, TV) and shove it all to the left against the far wall there, and then back up against Faye's room wall. Once the gap goes away, it makes things fit.

elddimsnoitcnuf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Teh! Meh! Bleh~
« Reply #108 on: 20 Dec 2011, 05:03 »

Dammit QC always makes me connect and look back on my life.

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #109 on: 20 Dec 2011, 05:41 »

But did you spend those three years constantly pining for this guy, sighing to all your friends how much you love him and miserable because he didn't know, and not dating anyone else because of your love for him? Elliot had more than a passing crush on Padma, and I can't imagine it'd be easy to get over someone you worked with everyday and knew quite well.

I can definitely see him telling Marten "good for you!" and not holding a grudge. But being truly over it? That's the part that seems totally unbelievable. I've had a guy I had a crush on get together with another one of my friends after telling him I was into him and being told he didn't feel the same way. I congratulated them honestly--they were both great people, and she was a far better match for him than his previous girlfriend. But I was still sad and jealous for a while.

Thing is...I've been through what Elliott has been and yes, after you pine for somebody that long and finally realize that it's never going to happen (or in Elliott's case, never meant to be), you can get over it real quick. It's like you've spent all of your angst on the uncertainty and possiblity that there's nothing left on the other end other than an open road. That, and I discovered that whatever feelings I had for her turned into friendshiip over that time.

Not everybody is the same. And not everybody reacts the same way to similar situations.

NotsoAverageJoe

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 20 Dec 2011, 05:44 »

Thinking well of people is safest after you've seen them give some evidence they deserve it.

two schools of thought... there are some people who say you need to earn their respect first, and then there are other people who say, you already have my respect and its up to you to keep it.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 05:52 by NotsoAverageJoe »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #111 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:09 »

Silly Faye.

The answer is YES.

<--- Expert on that question.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #112 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:24 »

Dammit QC always makes me connect and look back on my life.

Hah.
Also the comic is like a giant Rorschach blot for all of us to project our own issues with men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! onto Marten and Dora.  A therapist could sweep in here and have a field day, although they should only be paid at bulk rate for everyone who called Dora a bitch.

In other news, I find that I frequently relate to fictional stories (mostly sitcoms) when going through trouble. I think QC just stands out so much because I consume it five days a week.

€: I just randomly found Dora explaining what love is.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #113 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:28 »

I made that map from a few estimates. I think the second couch is little used, but is there most of the time.

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 06:51 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #114 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:42 »

Funnily enough, no-one batted an eyelid at: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1889
i had forgotten about that comic and how much the "fweee" cracked me up. there is just something about that face too  :lol:

Re: Elliot, I think the guy deserves a little more credit. I think he's mature enough to accept his fate in regards to Padma. It probably helps that he knows she's leaving and isn't looking for anything serious. Usually, if you pine for someone over an extended period of time, you want to be in a relationship with them. He realizes now that Padma truly is just having fun before she goes off to deal with a difficult situation isn't looking for a relationship. That fact makes it much easier to deal with rejection, because she's not necessarily rejecting him, just the idea of a boyfriend.

Or, he's living vicariously through Marten.

Or, he's patiently awaiting the schadenfreude he'll experience when Marten falls hard for Padma and she leaves him in the dust.

Re: Faye, I've been there many, many, many times. I've been in so many relationships that made me question my feelings- some for good reason and others simply because I deal with a lot of anxiety and the obsessive side of my OCD gets more of a workout than my compulsive side. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if your feelings are genuine because you've over-thought so many things in the past that you begin to question the "normal" things, fearing that something is wrong but you just haven't figured it out yet. You wonder how the other person can possibly love you, why you love them (when it's usually pretty obvious) and you start to wonder if your relationship has an expiration date. The trick is to acknowledge those feelings, tell yourself that they are perfectly valid concerns and that you are NOT a bad person for questioning them, then let them go. It's not an easy task, but it sounds like it is what Faye truly needs to do. Angus is a good counterpart for her- it may not last forever, but he provides a much needed sense of balance. He's lighthearted and genuine, someone that can ease her mind and handle her issues. And she's right- he's funny, smart and can stand up to her in many senses. Of course, it's more obvious to us than it is to her because we have an outsiders perspective and bring our own experiences to the table. We've seen some of the scenarios in QC play out in real life so we immediately think Faye is going to "ruin things" because that CAN happen when you let your worries "awfulize" things in your head. Eventually, it makes you so insecure in your relationship that eventually it breaks down. I think after a chat with Marten, he'll be able to put things in perspective for her and she'll realize that her relationship with Angus truly is a good thing. I mean....if she just didn't want to be alone, wouldn't she have just dated Marten to begin with??
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #115 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:56 »

On a completely different note: I suddenly have an impending sense of foreboding doom...

(click to show/hide)
Just another Joe like 46

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #116 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:20 »

She's saying that she loves him. If she actually does, then it doesn't matter so much why.

I hate being alone. Simply hate it.

I've had relationships that didn't work for various reasons. The one I'm in has worked great for over 10 years, and I can't imagine it not continuing to do so.
I'm not hanging in here just because I hate to be alone!

The moral - like the little cheez sez; take it, accept it, and move forward on the path you are on anyway - don't let it change you!

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #117 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:25 »

On a completely different note: I suddenly have an impending sense of foreboding doom...
(click to show/hide)

No, jwhouk, Jeph is NOT going have Angus walk in while Marten is hugging Faye sans pants and pull a Dora.

No Story Arc Time Warp Reruns for you.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #118 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:35 »

My prediction: Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #119 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:02 »

<3 Oh Faye, after so many years I read the comic and feel the same way.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #120 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:03 »

I've been thinking nore about it, and I think I can accept Elliott in Monday's strip if I see him as a grown up Mikey.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #121 on: 20 Dec 2011, 10:17 »

The fact that she is even questioning it means that she does have a valid concern that she should consider. I'm not sure how to express what I mean to say-- sometimes we WANT to love someone more than what we really do. They're good people-- there are plenty of reasons we should want to be with them. That doesn't always mean that they are the right person for us, and there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, I agree with the person who said that love is not a switch. It isn't something that just "turns on." Love is something that grows and develops. It's something you work at. There is a big difference between passion and attraction and my definition of love. (Everyone looks at love differently, so I can only go by my own definition.) For me, love is the commitment we make and the effort we put into it. If Faye feels that she loves him, that's great! But it doesn't have to be a profound, deep love at this point. If she is coming up with excuses because she knows, deep down, that she does not actually want to be in a relationship with this guy-- okay. That's fine. But it's also fine to let the relationship grow and see what happens because that's the only way love can really happen.

Blah blah blah. I think we're all going to go from personal experience on this one.  :-P

Wreck Smurfy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 20 Dec 2011, 10:44 »

You mean Marten has another insecure woman snoozing in his bedroom? God! When will he stop doing that? Some people never learn.

Heh. Actually, I was just thinking about the escaping junk, which tends to be a conversation-stopper.

Silentbanksy

• Plantmonster
  • Surreal, aren't they?
« Reply #123 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:05 »

GUYS.

Upset Faye

Marten in Boxers.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1741

Dejá Vú incoming?
I'm witty, right?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #124 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:23 »

Except there's no Dora, so no. 

Angus walking in isn't likely to react that way, either.  So no. 

But I think Faye needs a dose of her own medicine right now.  But perhaps delivered with a smaller hypodermic...

I expect Marten will use more finesse, and less blunt-force trauma. 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #125 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:38 »

Warning - while you were typing, the topic you had been typing was already discussed. Twice.

:evil:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #126 on: 20 Dec 2011, 13:05 »

I was actually thinking about that after I read today's strip; I think it'd be cool if Marten imparted the same wisdom to Faye (whether he told her where it came from or not  :wink:).

As unstable as she was/is, Dora had some good insight into certain things. I hope Marten is able to get past the bad stuff and remember that she was right about some things.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #127 on: 20 Dec 2011, 13:26 »

You mean Marten has another insecure woman snoozing in his bedroom? God! When will he stop doing that? Some people never learn.

Heh. Actually, I was just thinking about the escaping junk, which tends to be a conversation-stopper.

I'd think, if that were a possibility, that it would've come up (or out, depending on what preposition you want to use and how descriptive you enjoy being) before now, since he's pranced around all morning dressed like that.

The fact that she is even questioning it means that she does have a valid concern that she should consider. I'm not sure how to express what I mean to say-- sometimes we WANT to love someone more than what we really do. They're good people-- there are plenty of reasons we should want to be with them. That doesn't always mean that they are the right person for us, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If she were anyone else, I might agree with you. But Faye has a history of pushing people away for the slightest of reasons, all stemming from the one big one, that no one is  ever again getting as close to Faye as her dad was. That makes her concern a tad less valid. I suspect the real problem is Faye does indeed love Angus in exactly the 'right' way (whatever the hell that is). Which means, once again, what she's really worked up about is being hurt herself, not hurting him.

Blah blah blah. I think we're all going to go from personal experience on this one.  :-P

Possibly. But I'm trying to go on my experience with Faye (such as it is, her not being real and all).

I was actually thinking about that after I read today's strip; I think it'd be cool if Marten imparted the same wisdom to Faye (whether he told her where it came from or not  :wink:).

As unstable as she was/is, Dora had some good insight into certain things. I hope Marten is able to get past the bad stuff and remember that she was right about some things.

That's one hard row to hoe, miss. If Marten were real, it's probably take a decade or so for that ground to soften up.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #128 on: 20 Dec 2011, 13:45 »

Having lost my parents and the love of my life to car accidents, I think I know where Faye is coming from, even if she doesn't. She thinks she is questioning ot because she is afraid of being alone, but I find it more likely that what she is actually afraid of is getting close and then losing someone she loves again.

Love can be really awesome, but it can be scary as hell, too.

Or maybe I am just projecting.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #129 on: 20 Dec 2011, 14:07 »

It's just an old comic from one of the earlier eras of art style. That is how they looked back then. Jeph's art has shifted dramatically over the course f the series. Part of the enjoyment I get out of the comic is watching the evolution of the art as Jeph gets better and better.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #130 on: 20 Dec 2011, 14:14 »

No comic Jeph's done has hit me so hard where I live as today's
Good stuff

I lost both parents very early on too and this is a question I constantly ask myself in relationships, especially when I find myself clinging to them well past the time I should. It's something you wonder about when fear of loss is a strong issue for you.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #131 on: 20 Dec 2011, 14:15 »

Oh for FRAKS sake Faye.    :roll:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #132 on: 20 Dec 2011, 14:49 »

No, it's just a different POV for Martens body.  It's more sideways than in 1004, and without the hoodie in 1009. 

For the longest time in the beginning, Jeph couldn't do 3/4 views.  The art gets awkward at times! 

Oh, and in the last panel of 1006, he's got food in his mouth.  Chipmunk cheeks. 

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #133 on: 20 Dec 2011, 14:57 »

Besides that-

Come on, it's a hand drawn comic, not a CG rendering, and one done on a time schedule that would make even the most professional, syndicated strip artist choke. I make jokes here and there about missing walls, but we should cut Jeph some slack here.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #134 on: 20 Dec 2011, 16:48 »

Jeph doesn't need anyone to cut him slack on the art, except maybe himself. His art's in the top tier of all strips, paper and pixel combined. Have you SEEN the average newspaper comics page? It is crap.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #135 on: 20 Dec 2011, 16:56 »

Jeph doesn't need anyone to cut him slack on the art, except maybe himself. His art's in the top tier of all strips, paper and pixel combined. Have you SEEN the average newspaper comics page? It is crap.

Hey, I'm not the one nitpicking about face shapes here- I was just saying that people need to ease up on it.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #136 on: 20 Dec 2011, 17:15 »

We're in agreement, then.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #137 on: 20 Dec 2011, 17:16 »

He's his own worst critic. Read some of the comments in the two books and on his tumblr (in response to Q&A dumps).
Just another Joe like 46

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #138 on: 20 Dec 2011, 17:54 »

<3 Oh Faye, after so many years I read the comic and feel the same way.

Hmm.  I think a good 30% of being successful in love is not second-guessing it.   Of course, the other 70% is learning to recognize that emotionally withholding jackass or selfish witch for what they are, and that you deserve better.  My philosophy is, if I'm happy, and there are no major red flags on my partner, let it ride.  Wait until the relationship has gone on for six to nine months, and then do a serious evaluation of whether this is who you want to be with.  It usually takes that long for the oxytocin to wear off so you can think straight.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #139 on: 20 Dec 2011, 20:27 »

And a little longer than that to get clear of the side effects from the drugs she dosed you with for the first few weeks.

(Joking, and I already know I have a terrible sense of humor. But you, dear reader, can tell me, too, if it makes you feel better)

Seriously, though, I'm with you all the way to the 'serious evaluation' part. But then, I've always assumed if a girl can stand me for that long, she's a keeper (see above, and, yeah, the keeping is really the other way around). Of course, I've only been in that situation once.

So far, so good.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 20:32 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #140 on: 20 Dec 2011, 20:54 »

It always strikes me as odd how people assume love is some instantaneous binary equation, like you're either in love or you're not and it's a switch that gets flicked one day, perhaps after a quirky romantic interlude.  Faye likes Angus, they share mutual interests, can parry each others' quips and quotes, and seem to genuinely enjoy being with each other.  That's more than enough to define at least a stage of love, and there's plenty of time for that to grow into a much deeper and more consuming passion.  Assuming you don't sit there on the couch and over-analyze to the point where you unconsciously sabotage a great relationship.
I hate how much I can relate to this. I won't get into details, but damn.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 20 Dec 2011, 21:06 »

Okay, i'm ridiculously lost. Faye is saying that her relationship to Angus is in trouble because Angus is a racist?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #142 on: 20 Dec 2011, 21:30 »

No, she's just giving extreme examples to answer Marten's asking if there's a "wrong reason" to love someone.

We know it's not their shared love of murders, because that's countered by his terribly taste in quarries.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #143 on: 20 Dec 2011, 21:39 »

A "wrong" reason to love someone that I can think of is because of an image you have of that person which is totally at odds with who the person really is (e.g. you have idealised them to an extreme). That's probably not going to last.

I don't think that applies here, though.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #144 on: 20 Dec 2011, 22:39 »

I actually know a couple who are together primarily because they're both racist.  :|

No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 20 Dec 2011, 22:49 »

Well, shared interests are not a bad reason to love someone, right?

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #146 on: 20 Dec 2011, 22:54 »

I would buy the Racist Murdercult CD.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #147 on: 20 Dec 2011, 23:06 »

There are better. 

Shared interests are a good way to make friends.  Friends can become lovers.  But so can others.  Love can open up new interests, too, if they're not shared at first! 

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #148 on: 21 Dec 2011, 00:18 »

There are better. 
Shared interests are a good way to make friends.  Friends can become lovers.  But so can others.  Love can open up new interests, too, if they're not shared at first! 
What kind of "to love" are we talking about here?
For one kind of love, shared interests may be the primary reason to stay together, for another kind of love, it may just be a nice addition.
This is a debate that constantly suffers unfit generalizations.

Maybe Faye just needs to learn ... she seems hung up on ideas about relationships an inexperienced newcomer "traumatized" by Hollywood romances might have.
(Always struck me as odd that most of those lovey-dovey "flicks" seem to have a consensus about love needing some kind of huge romantic keyphrase or flower~y description to work out ... my love life so far has been evidence to the contrary.)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #149 on: 21 Dec 2011, 00:18 »

Well, as long as human beings are imperfect, human love is imperfect. We dont love others purely selflessly.

But as long as love also contains a spark of real love, it will grow and last.
Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up