They actually show INTEREST in you!
- 32 (15%)
Same racist murdercult as you.
- 9 (4.2%)
Same music tastes as you.
- 1 (0.5%)
They like waffles!
- 7 (3.3%)
They like taking polls in webcomic forums.
- 5 (2.3%)
They're breathing.
- 10 (4.7%)
No reason.
- 10 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2081-85 (Christmas Week - Dec. 19-23, 2011)  (Read 69052 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 2081-85 (Christmas Week - Dec. 19-23, 2011)
« Reply #50 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:12 »

I dunno, this feels weird to me.  Elliott was moping, crying in his beer over Padma.  He then says he's over it, but come on, you don't crush like that for that long (I assume it's been going on a while) and then throw a switch and high five the new guy

Violence?  No, not Elliott's style.  But at least a little  of the strip's famous awkwardness would be more in line with the way people behave...

Oh, and thanks for fixing the poll.  At least I was able to add "Cump" to my choices! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

tjradcliffe

• Plantmonster
    • TJRadcliffe
« Reply #51 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:30 »

I dunno, this feels weird to me.  Elliott was moping, crying in his beer over Padma.  He then says he's over it, but come on, you don't crush like that for that long (I assume it's been going on a while) and then throw a switch and high five the new guy

On the face of it, yeah, but let's make up some back-story for Elliot that would explain it. 

We know he didn't express his feelings to Padma for a long time, and when he did he got shot down.  Maybe that was the last in a long series of experiences where he wasn't up-front about his feelings, leaving behind him a trail of loneliness and isolation, and yet after crying in his beer he realized, "Hey, I'm kinda OK.  The world didn't end.  Again.  I've really gotta stop doing that."  So now he's like a guy who's just quit smoking, proselytizing his new-found faith.

Either that or Hanner's dad teleported him up to the space station where he was given an alien brain transplant.  That seems pretty likely too.
Illustrated Web serial novel! http://www.songsofalbion.com

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #52 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:43 »

Turning points in life do happen. Not often, but they do happen. And when people turn a corner in their lives, sometimes friends and acquaintances can hardly believe the extent of change of behavior; but it does happen. 

Good for Eliot; and it's not exactly a shame on Marten, but I hope Jeph basically allows Marten to grow a little, rather than be the constant wishy-washy indie-boy punchline. 

SQUEEZE BOX

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #53 on: 19 Dec 2011, 08:05 »

I think Monday's comic was a message to the Forumites.

I tried thinking better of people, but it didn't work out so well. Still, I try again from time to time. Maybe one of these days I won't be disappointed.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Cornan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #54 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:28 »

Man, my favorite points of the year don't seem to be too popular.  :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #55 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:49 »

Mine either, but what are ya gonna do? 

Lobby! 

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #56 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:52 »

Yeah that was pretty...weird and artificial

I mean I get that this forum is a gigantic, festering tumor, absolutely, but don't try and work it into the script, Jeph, man, it doesn't work  :|
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #57 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:21 »

This is cogent. Elliot's characterization is completely off.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:28 »

Maybe he's faking it?

@sitnspin,
Quote from: Lieutenant Worf
Trust is earned, not given.
Thinking well of people is safest after you've seen them give some evidence they deserve it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:36 »

@jwhouk: if you don't mind the work, suggest splitting out the best moment of the year poll into its own thread where you solicit nominations over a period, then do a round of "pick 3 from this huge list" then "ok, now pick one of these five" at the end of next week.

Will also help keep from cluttering up the WCDTs... I recognize that it'd be a lot of work, though and I'm not in a position to volunteer this year (sorry!)

Vista

• Plantmonster
  • The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.
« Reply #60 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:42 »

Maybe he's faking it?

Maybe he's the first true antagonist that Marten will face, a man with passive-aggressive revenge tendencies twisted into Machiavellian manipulations.

It's kind of too bad, I actually think Marten could use someone who hates him in his life, so that he might rebel against them and stick up for himself (to himself)nmore.
"Himemiya, I've misjudged you!"
"My image of you is ruined!"

Wreck Smurfy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:52 »

Thinking well of people is safest after you've seen them give some evidence they deserve it.

Safest, maybe so. Personally, being "safe" isn't my top priority in dealing with others. So I tend to the opposite, thinking well of people until they give some evidence they don't deserve it. And I may have been lightly burned once or twice as a result. But I can also say that several of my friends over the years have commented on my positive nature, the fact that I rarely bad-mouth anyone; one group of friends used to call me "Mr. Diplomacy". Being open just seems like a lot less work than being "safe".

Today's comic made me smile. I suspected this would be Elliott's reaction, but didn't know for sure because he is a developing character. We don't know that much about him yet. This is what I would call the "bro" reaction: "Well, at least somebody's getting laid, even if it's not me." I have, and probably would again, react in similar fashion in these circumstances.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 15:00 by Wreck Smurfy »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #62 on: 19 Dec 2011, 12:32 »

Advertisement of the awesomeness of Veronica Vances visit of her son ! :D
Just awesome awesomeness ! :D

Eh, if you say so. Kinda "meh" to me. But to each his/her own.

Same here, kind of meh... Also the fact that I was continously pissed off at his mom.

My votes went to the secret bakery (it wasn't anything wow at that moment but now considering the two characters it has introduced...), The band getting together (mostly because of Marten's epiphany) and Padma/Marten make outs...

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #63 on: 19 Dec 2011, 13:21 »

It's hard to believe all this stuff happened in just a year. It feels like it's been much, much longer.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #64 on: 19 Dec 2011, 14:22 »

Maybe he's the kind of guy who moves on quite well after he's cried the appropriate river.

I have some aspects of that, really. At the very least, I have low endurance in resent.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #65 on: 19 Dec 2011, 14:27 »

I'm kind of what you would call a bit clingy, and I had a crush on a guy for three years (We were in classes together and a club), and when I realized he barely knew I existed and didn't really care one way or another if we talked, I was over it in an instant. I was completely fine that night and the next day and every day after that. I never thought I would have been able to do something like that, but I did. If I can do it, I think it's just as possible for Elliot. Sometimes, a person can get over something a lot more quickly than that person or anyone else would expect. Give the big guy a little bit of credit. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #66 on: 19 Dec 2011, 15:24 »

But did you spend those three years constantly pining for this guy, sighing to all your friends how much you love him and miserable because he didn't know, and not dating anyone else because of your love for him? Elliot had more than a passing crush on Padma, and I can't imagine it'd be easy to get over someone you worked with everyday and knew quite well.

I can definitely see him telling Marten "good for you!" and not holding a grudge. But being truly over it? That's the part that seems totally unbelievable. I've had a guy I had a crush on get together with another one of my friends after telling him I was into him and being told he didn't feel the same way. I congratulated them honestly--they were both great people, and she was a far better match for him than his previous girlfriend. But I was still sad and jealous for a while.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #67 on: 19 Dec 2011, 15:44 »

@jwhouk: if you don't mind the work, suggest splitting out the best moment of the year poll into its own thread where you solicit nominations over a period, then do a round of "pick 3 from this huge list" then "ok, now pick one of these five" at the end of next week.

Will also help keep from cluttering up the WCDTs... I recognize that it'd be a lot of work, though and I'm not in a position to volunteer this year (sorry!)

I had actually thought of doing this, but decided to try a WCDT instead. I may very well do it with our current totals, and "chop it down".

EDIT: I have gone and done it: MOMENT OF THE YEAR voting!
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 15:57 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #68 on: 19 Dec 2011, 15:46 »

I should and do agree that Elliot's dialogue feels a bit forced and convoluted, especially how upset Elliot was over Padma but I like BAP! too much.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #69 on: 19 Dec 2011, 16:05 »

It seems that even someone posting "that happened to me" can't convince the forumites to let go of their beliefs.

Just because you can't personally imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Funnily enough, no-one batted an eyelid at: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1889
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 19 Dec 2011, 16:05 »

I think Elliott's just being the bigger guy  (And yes, pun intended.)

I think it's epiphany time for Marten myself.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #71 on: 19 Dec 2011, 17:19 »

I didn't really care for Elliot's soap box speech.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #72 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:05 »

Another theory: Jeph didn't really like the way Elliot's character panned out, and this is his way of getting everything wrapped up in one strip so he can focus on other stuff?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:09 »

Elliot had more than a passing crush on Padma

How about this theory - it really was just a crush.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Marchbanks

• Not quite a lurker
  • I was gonna be an editor but my iguana died.
    • Fortunatus S. Marchbanks' Quotidian Minutiae
« Reply #74 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:15 »

I think Monday's comic was a message to the Forumites.

Hey, if Jeph wants to send a message, he should call Western Union.

I tried thinking better of people, but it didn't work out so well. Still, I try again from time to time. Maybe one of these days I won't be disappointed.

To quote Mose Allison:  "I don't worry 'bout a thing 'cos I know nothin's gonna be all right."
A good bookshop is nothing but a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.
                      -- Sir Terry Pratchett

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:23 »

What's the use of worrying?
What's the use of hurrying?
What's the use of anything?

(Sorry, I've got that song ratting around my head)

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.
« Reply #76 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:52 »

Or hopefully he is outgrowing the Stupid Nice Guy phase faster than most with the starting epiphany: She's not interested *now*, she isn't ever gonna be, so just move on.

Takes a lot of the sting out of it, and lets one objectively feel good for a friend/acquaintance getting lucky with someone attractive that they like.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #77 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:03 »

Funnily enough, no-one batted an eyelid at: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1889

that's because we had several year's history behind Marten's and Faye's relationship and their characters.  The arbor day thing was in character and believable.  While we don't know a lot about Elliott's character, I'm having trouble squaring what just happened with what we have seen of him so far.  YMMV. 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:07 »

Well, it seems strange to assert "that was out of character" when you know so little about the character.

Wreck Smurfy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #79 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:08 »

It seems that even someone posting "that happened to me" can't convince the forumites to let go of their beliefs.
Just because you can't personally imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Tova, what we need to realize is that QC is a romantic comic. As a result, it tends to draw an audience of romantic types, whereas I (and perhaps you) are of the pragmatic type. And yes, examples of pragmatic experience will never convince a romantic of anything.

And you are spot on. Comic #1889 is the perfect counterpoint to today's comic. Marten has already moved somewhat from romantic to pragmatic, and the current storyline shows him trying to move even more in that direction (see last Thursday). Elliott's "Gibbs' punch" today might just underline how far he has to go.

(BTW, I'm not advocating pragmatic over romantic. Different strokes and all. I'm just pointing out that people can live very fulfilling emotional lives without being romantic per se.)
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 20:18 by Wreck Smurfy »

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #80 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:12 »

Heh, get the first comment on the new strip, and boy is it a doozy!  Are we going to see Faye and Angus go through trouble?  Or can Marten convince Faye to just go for it and worry about the consequences later?  And should he?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #81 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:12 »

God damn it, Faye.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:15 »

Well, it seems strange to assert "that was out of character" when you know so little about the character.

I though that was my point...

And yeah, this is the essence of the comic.  Marten and Faye, deep into the why's and wherefores. 

Is it enough?  Am I  enough?  Am I good  enough?  Dammit, she needs the worry hat right now. 

Wreck Smurfy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #83 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:25 »

Woah. Heavy.
Marten, before helping Faye through another emotional crisis, please put on some pants. You know what happened the last time.  :wink:

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #84 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:57 »

I dunno Faye, why don't you cheat on him and find out?  :roll:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #85 on: 19 Dec 2011, 20:59 »

Dear Pugnacious Peach,

What on earth more could you ask for?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #86 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:08 »

Marten, before helping Faye through another emotional crisis, please put on some pants. You know what happened the last time.  :wink:
I was thinking the same thing.

I normally don't like to critique the artwork, but I just don't like the way Faye is sitting. Having a body type similar to hers...well, girls like us don't pull our knees to our chests very often like that because it is a bit difficult to get your arms around everything. Just my two cents...

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #87 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:23 »

Poor Marten. Looks like no sleep in his near future. Faye's just subconsciously looking for an excuse to end the relationship now that actual feelings are involved; don't let her backslide, Marty!
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #88 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:30 »

Faye, Faye, Faye, Faye, Faye ...

OK, not wanting to be alone is, all by itself, not a good reason, but McPhee has all that other stuff you mentioned going for him (and for you), plus he flies through the air pretty good.

And tactless though it may be to tell someone in your shoes (well, socks) to just cheer up ... just think, Marten's been walking around town without his pants.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #89 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:31 »

I normally don't like to critique the artwork, but I just don't like the way Faye is sitting. Having a body type similar to hers...well, girls like us don't pull our knees to our chests very often like that because it is a bit difficult to get your arms around everything. Just my two cents...

As a non-possessor of boobs of any variety, the problem you bring up makes sense, but isn't immediately obvious.  
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!
« Reply #90 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:37 »

...it's certainly enough for NOW. 

It always strikes me as odd how people assume love is some instantaneous binary equation, like you're either in love or you're not and it's a switch that gets flicked one day, perhaps after a quirky romantic interlude.  Faye likes Angus, they share mutual interests, can parry each others' quips and quotes, and seem to genuinely enjoy being with each other.  That's more than enough to define at least a stage of love, and there's plenty of time for that to grow into a much deeper and more consuming passion.  Assuming you don't sit there on the couch and over-analyze to the point where you unconsciously sabotage a great relationship.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #91 on: 19 Dec 2011, 21:40 »

Well... that was kind of depressing.  Sadly, far too many people get involved for the very reason Faye fears, but those people are usually with someone not nearly as good for them as Angus.

If she had fallen for Sven, I would have thought this was the reason, but Angus has so much more going for him. He is a good guy and a great match for Faye.  

Sometimes, Faye, it is okay to simply be happy. I say this hypocritically, since I so often over-think and jinx myself out of happiness. Yay chronic depression!
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #92 on: 19 Dec 2011, 23:08 »

I dunno, this feels weird to me.  Elliott was moping, crying in his beer over Padma.  He then says he's over it, but come on, you don't crush like that for that long (I assume it's been going on a while) and then throw a switch and high five the new guy.  

Looking at Elliott in panel 2a, maybe's he's channelling the spirit of Dave.

Then you think he's a drooling psycho in the making? Yeah, me too.

I could deal with Elliot being okay, or even glad things worked out for someone, in a vaguely melancholy way. But bro-fiving Marten with a big grin on his face? Too good to be true. Which means it ain't. Okay, maybe he's not lulling Marty and Pads into complacence until he can finally locate an iron pot big enough to boil both of them at once, but Elliot's up to something.

Woah. Heavy.
Marten, before helping Faye through another emotional crisis, please put on some pants. You know what happened the last time.  :wink:
You mean Marten has another insecure woman snoozing in his bedroom? God! When will he stop doing that? Some people never learn.

And speaking of never learning*, I agree that Faye's trying to find away to torpedo her relationship. If the only reason she hung around Angus was to not be alone, sure, sound the klaxon and fire Tubes 1 and 5. But you just made a list or other reasons you enjoy the guy's company, idjit. Stand down, surface, and see where this goes.

*Actually, Faye is learning. But it's always, always, two steps forward, one back with this girl.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 23:24 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #93 on: 19 Dec 2011, 23:10 »

But did you spend those three years constantly pining for this guy, sighing to all your friends how much you love him and miserable because he didn't know, and not dating anyone else because of your love for him? Elliot had more than a passing crush on Padma, and I can't imagine it'd be easy to get over someone you worked with everyday and knew quite well.

I can definitely see him telling Marten "good for you!" and not holding a grudge. But being truly over it? That's the part that seems totally unbelievable. I've had a guy I had a crush on get together with another one of my friends after telling him I was into him and being told he didn't feel the same way. I congratulated them honestly--they were both great people, and she was a far better match for him than his previous girlfriend. But I was still sad and jealous for a while.
Pining considerably, yes. Telling people? Nope. I'm a pretty private person, and I don't think I ever told anyone about my crushes after a certain point in my life. I didn't date anyone else because no one else asked, but I don't know what I would have said if they had.

My question: Does he know her quite well? If he's as shy as I thought he was, then he may have just been watching her all that time and building a "perfect image" of what he thought she was. Sure, they talked, but did they really talk?

In any case, everybody is different, and if he sincerely is over her, then I'm glad for it.

Also, Faye, quit channeling people like me so you can quit worrying!
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #94 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:05 »

Back to the angst.

Again.

Angus angst, even.

C'mon Faye, just let yourself be happy for once!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #95 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:12 »

Ah.

Knowing ones own feelings, what a hard art to master.

Or just to apprentice !

But in the end, love can only persist if its also love. :)
Carpe Diem

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #96 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:14 »

Quote from: Jeph
God damn it, Faye

Pretty much sums it up, I think.

Warning - while you were typing someone else said exactly the same thing you were going to. You can edit your post, but who does that anymore?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #97 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:26 »

Hey, if Jeph wants to send a message, he should call Western Union.

If Jeph really had a message for the forum, you'd see him right here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #98 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:36 »

Of note-

Marten STILL hasn't put on any pants.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #99 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:00 »

He's not going to walk straight past his worrying friend for trivia like that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up