• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will Marten do?

Call back right away and apologize.
Run to her apartment and apologize.
Wait until tomorrow, and get arrested at the airport trying to apologize at the gate.
Call/go over and ask for an explanation.
Decide it's a lost cause, toast a waffle or two, and try to move on.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT January 9-13, 2012 (2096-2100)  (Read 131822 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT January 9-13, 2012 (2096-2100)
« Reply #250 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:29 »

I would point out that Jeph's comment about thinking of closing the forums was based on a single remark, and that the discussion that followed that has been reasonably sensible.  It was a bit sad to see that several of the tweets responding to him were clearly based on knowledge of this forum in 2010 and not since.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #251 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:41 »

Yeah it's kind of sad that he would stumble into the forums at the exact wrong moment..

..not completely truthful, I know. But still.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #252 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:01 »

I still think Padma kept herself away from Marten for fear of growing too fond of him before she leaves. And I think she excused herself by thinking it was better for both of them.

I mean, packing, seriously? What kind of an excuse is this? For one thing, she should have anticipated the time it would take her. But even if she had been too distracted for anticipating it, she could have asked Marten for help with it. It would have been spending some times together, even if it was bittersweet.

Assuming this, at the last moment, she decided she had to say a proper goodbye. By the way, the only involvement of Elliot in this that I can think of is his telling her it was mean to do that to Marten. Putting some (semi-)external perspective in her train of thought.

As for Marten's reaction, well, he's not a saint, he can be a prick when in pain, he can act out of resent when taken off-guard. Given time, he usually wrestles himself out of hard feelings. But most of the time, he does his best to be a kind guy. In a way, he acts a lot like a struggling Boddhisattva.

So yeah, both of them fucked up, Padma out of Fear, Marten out of Pain or Anger (or both).
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #253 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:24 »

The hilarious (@#$% terrifying) thing about this strip is that so many of us turn into that psychotic ex who overanalyzed every single thing as if we were ourselves living the lives of the characters. A testament to Jeph's talent, certainly, but also not healthy for anyone.

If it still existed, I would introduce you to a little comic called "Penny & Aggie"...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #254 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:29 »

Oh, and given that it's not Something*Positive, I still have hope for a... satisfactory ending, at least.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #255 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:35 »

Oh, and given that it's not Something*Positive, I still have hope for a... satisfactory ending, at least.

I actually like Something Positive, if the endings are sad there's at least some levity to it. With this one, it seems more like salt being rubbed into wounds.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #256 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:41 »

Personally, I think the real problem is that neither Marten, nor Padma, are being honest about their feelings about each other, or their feelings in general.

I think it's safe to say that the real reason that Padma didn't call isn't because she was "too busy packing."  Something has been troubling her.  Back at this comic, it was pretty clear that something was bothering her, (though Marten didn't pick up on it) and she's probably been troubled ever since.

Similarly, Marten isn't being honest about his feelings.  He could have said today that he felt hurt by the fact that she didn't call.  It wouldn't have to be an attack or accusation or anything, just an honest, assertive statement about his feelings.

In fact, all of this angst he's been feeling could probably have been headed off back at his last phone call with Padma in this comic.  We find out from this comic that she said that she's "feeling down."  Speaking for myself, if someone I cared about told me they were feeling down, my response would not be, "okay, bye."  It would be more like, "What's wrong?  Do you want to talk about it?"  I would acknowledge and respect their feelings and maybe try to help cheer them up.  That's the point where Marten started handling things badly and it's just gone downhill from there.

Of course, in my experience, most people have difficulty with that kind of emotional expression and most people want to avoid that kind of confrontation, so all in all, I'd say this is a realistic portrayal of everyone's actions and reactions.  Bravo, Jeph, for writing this so well!  :)

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #257 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:58 »

@lepetitfromage
I used your quote because it was the first in a long line of women-do-this comments. I wasn't expecting anyone to read my mind, I was merely illustrating the personal consequences of this kind of sexism, because I believe male privilege exists. Women experience that to different extents, for sure.

Boradis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #258 on: 12 Jan 2012, 14:04 »

Contrary to Jeph's opinion, Marten did the right thing on both days.

For whatever reason, Padma not only avoided him during her last week there, she didn't even try to explain. Maybe she was feeling stressed, or sad, or crazy busy, or some other crises arose. It may be perfectly understandable and unavoidable, but the burden of explanation is on her.

She left him in the dark until the last possible minute, then she expected him to drop everything (including his self respect) and go see her.

Marten shouldn't do anything, and definitely needs to move on. I do think Padma owes him another phone call to apologize or explain, but in the long run it doesn't really matter.

As for Marten, he knew she was a flake from the start and is just reaping what was sown. If there were one word I'd use to describe Padma's character it would be "oblivious." He should not be surprised that she's bulldozed his feelings without thinking twice about it.

She's not a good romantic match for him or probably for anyone at this point. Marten needs to either be a bit more like his mom and realize that sometimes sex is just sex, or learn to avoid sex-based relationships altogether.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #259 on: 12 Jan 2012, 14:20 »

then she expected him to drop everything (including his self respect) and go see her.

Why would seeing her again have meant losing his self respect?  Has he not actually lost self respect by doing something which he himself thinks was wrong?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BigSol81

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #260 on: 12 Jan 2012, 14:25 »

If there were one word I'd use to describe Padma's character it would be "oblivious."

Nail on the head. Padma has displayed a general lack of empathy or ability to infer based on peoples' actions since the was introduced. She's not necessarily selfish, she's just very self-absorbed a lot of the time, it seems.

ilikefishfood

• Plantmonster
« Reply #261 on: 12 Jan 2012, 14:59 »

For whatever reason, Padma not only avoided him during her last week there, she didn't even try to explain.

I think she tried to not so much to explain per se, as let him know that she was sad (2095)...he just didn't see it as a queue to have 'the conversation.' 

He instead interpreted it as a blow off, and Padma probably thought he didn't care enough to ask.  Maybe she figured he was only interested in being around her when she wanted to 'have fun.'  I can't blame either of them for more than not being straight forward about their feelings, but I think we've pretty much established that.  :-)

Um....colour me daft, but did I miss Jeph threatening to close the forum?  Was that recently, or back-in-the-day?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #262 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:03 »

Check his twitter today (see the surrounding tweets for explanation - also this post).

In fact the discussion has remained fairly sensible, instead of collapsing into a putrid writhing heap as he probably envisioned thinking back to the breakup period.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2012, 15:11 by pwhodges »

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #263 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:14 »

Check his twitter today (see the surrounding tweets for explanation - also this post).

In fact the discussion has remained fairly sensible, instead of collapsing into a putrid writhing heap as he probably envisioned thinking back to the breakup period.
I want that background for a desktop image.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

ilikefishfood

• Plantmonster
« Reply #264 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:45 »

Aaaaaaaah.....thanks.  That clears it up.  I did see his post here in the forum, but haven't checked twitter in ages.  Appreciate the heads up.   I think he's been more upset in the past.  I suspect (hope) we'll be safe!  :-)

Vista

• Plantmonster
  • The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.
« Reply #265 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:50 »

The hilarious (@#$% terrifying) thing about this strip is that so many of us turn into that psychotic ex who overanalyzed every single thing as if we were ourselves living the lives of the characters. A testament to Jeph's talent, certainly, but also not healthy for anyone.

It may be cathartic for some readers, who may have something they've always wanted to talk about--or rather, have always needed to hear an alternative perspective from a relative stranger whom they may see as relatively unbiased.  But should this subforum be for that cause?  (...Is there an alternative?  Yes.)

The problem with what we call overanalysis is that it really doesn't exist. Analysis is, by definition, breaking something down--once it can't be broken down anymore, further work reveals nothing more than what you already know. What we refer to as overanalysis is just misanalysis: the attempt to analyze the situation without having all the facts at hand (which is related to what Orson Welles said about acting: "what we call over-acting is really just false acting"), which results in greater misunderstandings and wild theories that serve no valid purpose (cf. any government on Earth).

Analysis in its purest form, perhaps, but really, who's to judge what serves no purpose?  Most people prefer not to break something down to its basic building blocks because it misses the inherent connection between ideas.  I.e., we analyze ice and understand that it's hydrogen, oxygen and energy...skipping past the more important revelation that it's frozen water.  On a planet, in a solar system, one of quadrillions created by an all-knowing dark matter dachshund.
We could "overanalyze" this strip to mean that Jeph was secretly fearing spending time on vacation, but that might be way more interesting to discuss than "oh, Marten said this in comic 1132, therefore he's still a douche."  And interesting thoughts are a good, usually.

Nobody's 'right' here. We've all got baggage (some more than others) and our ability to identify with the characters and/or situation is perhaps adding that baggage onto the comic's situation, where it doesn't belong.

But isn't that sort of the entire point of literature?  To engage in such behavior and then realize that maybe you shouldn't, and grow a little bit? 
As for no one being 'right'...such would seem to be the case if one believes in moral relativism or that the characters--not being real people--cannot be right or wrong.  Which I would disagree with.

We haven't seen the last of Padma or this storyline, so, like when your best friend broke up with that stupid whore that no one really liked anyway, man (to whom he's now been married for eight years), it's probably best not to be making with the wild (and cruel) speculations.

"If the world were good for nothing else, it is a fine subject for speculation."
I agree that people can go overboard, but often they don't, even if they seem to be sinking.  Lamemetaphorlol
"Himemiya, I've misjudged you!"
"My image of you is ruined!"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #266 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:54 »

Contrary to Jeph's opinion, Marten did the right thing on both days.

For whatever reason, Padma not only avoided him during her last week there, she didn't even try to explain. Maybe she was feeling stressed, or sad, or crazy busy, or some other crises arose. It may be perfectly understandable and unavoidable, but the burden of explanation is on her.

She left him in the dark until the last possible minute, then she expected him to drop everything (including his self respect) and go see her.

Marten shouldn't do anything, and definitely needs to move on. I do think Padma owes him another phone call to apologize or explain, but in the long run it doesn't really matter.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating -- why do some people assume that the only options for Marten are to either be a doormat or to totally shut her down? There are other options open to him.

For example, he could have stayed on the phone and and insisted on the full explanation which you yourself have claimed she owed her, in the same breath as you proclaimed that he did the right thing in blowing her off, no less. Or he could have gone over there and demanded it in person, which in my opinion would have been the best option of all.

You are insisting that he did the right thing even though he effectively refused to demand such an explanation.

Honestly, your position is quite confounding.

Forumgoers  (well, a handful of you), Marten is not a "villian" here, nor is Padma some kind of a horrible person. They are both perfectly normal, good people who were placed in an emotional, even stressful, situation and did arguably dumb things. I can understand how this story would have touched a nerve for some people who may have been in a similar situation. But I am trying to separate the sin from the sinner.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MrJangles

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #267 on: 12 Jan 2012, 16:06 »

then she expected him to drop everything (including his self respect) and go see her.

Why would seeing her again have meant losing his self respect?  Has he not actually lost self respect by doing something which he himself thinks was wrong?

It's the "Come when I call" mentality.  Going to her when she called, but her not responding to his calls is pretty much a puppy dog response.  Had she shown any interest in that missing week of getting in touch with him, it wouldn't be cause for loss of self-respect.  She only wants to deal with him on her terms and to accept that without showing her that there is a price to pay for her actions smacks of meekness and a lack of self-respect.

He may not like what he did and wonders why he did it, but I imagine that he did not lose respect for himself.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #268 on: 12 Jan 2012, 16:26 »

Coming soon: screaming long-distance rant from a very, VERY angry Padma's grandmother. Because I expect her to be just about as awesome as Marten's mom, even on death's doorstep.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #269 on: 12 Jan 2012, 16:51 »

He may not like what he did and wonders why he did it, but I imagine that he did not lose respect for himself.

I imagine that he might have, because the way he dealt with the issue was spineless.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #270 on: 12 Jan 2012, 16:59 »

to accept that without showing her that there is a price to pay for her actions smacks of meekness and a lack of self-respect.

A price to pay, eh?  Well, there's a price to pay for every action any of us takes, so there's no need to show her that.  I presume you mean punish  her for her actions.

And being forbearing /=meekness /= lack of self respect.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #271 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:09 »

If there were one word I'd use to describe Padma's character it would be "oblivious."

Nail on the head. Padma has displayed a general lack of empathy or ability to infer based on peoples' actions since the was introduced. She's not necessarily selfish, she's just very self-absorbed a lot of the time, it seems.

...which, incidentally, makes it extra important for Marten to accurately communicate his feelings to her right now.  She most likely has no idea at all that Marten feels hurt by her not returning his calls, or that he resents the fact that she waited until the last minute to call him.  She probably won't figure it out unless he tells her point-blank.

Aaaaaaaah.....thanks.  That clears it up.  I did see his post here in the forum, but haven't checked twitter in ages.  Appreciate the heads up.   I think he's been more upset in the past.  I suspect (hope) we'll be safe!  :-)

I think it isn't just that; Jeph is an emotional guy who is bothered by cynical sentiments such as the one expressed in the above link.  The suggestion that Marten "earned" the right to hurt Padma as though it's some kind of merit badge that he should be proud of is kind of disturbing.  In fact, I'd say that the whole idea of "other people are doing it, therefore I should do it" is the weakest rationalization in the world; you can use that to justify anything!

I am curious to know what Jeph thinks Marten should have done here, but I doubt that he's still reading the forums at this point.

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #272 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:18 »

The suggestion that Marten "earned" the right to hurt Padma as though it's some kind of merit badge that he should be proud of is kind of disturbing.  In fact, I'd say that the whole idea of "other people are doing it, therefore I should do it" is the weakest rationalization in the world; you can use that to justify anything!
This cracked me up. 

"This coupon entitles the bearer to one opportunity to be a bit of a shit.  Not applicable with other offers."

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #273 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:36 »

Hopy shit, beneath the sexism being thrown around and the weird attitude that if other people act badly it somehow excuses you being an asshole, there is an okay discussion going on, good work (some) people
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #274 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:37 »

"This coupon entitles the bearer to one opportunity to be a bit of a shit.  Not applicable with other offers."

"Coupon is transferrable to the target of your shitty action."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #275 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:38 »

As for no one being 'right'...such would seem to be the case if one believes in moral relativism or that the characters--not being real people--cannot be right or wrong.  Which I would disagree with.

I took that to mean that Jeph intends to portray all the characters as being realistically flawed, so that in any argument both parties will have screwed something up.

I've toyed with the idea of filling a pill bottle with M&Ms and printing a label that says "Self Pity: Use With Caution, May Be Habit-Forming".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #276 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:45 »

"Coupon is transferrable to the target of your shitty action."

Padma's granny best watch herself then.   :-o

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #277 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:48 »

Coming soon: screaming long-distance rant from a very, VERY angry Padma's grandmother. Because I expect her to be just about as awesome as Marten's mom, even on death's doorstep.

You know what? I think I'd actually take this one over the other S*P-like endings running through my brain at the moment.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Vista

• Plantmonster
  • The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.
« Reply #278 on: 12 Jan 2012, 17:56 »

As for no one being 'right'...such would seem to be the case if one believes in moral relativism or that the characters--not being real people--cannot be right or wrong.  Which I would disagree with.

I took that to mean that Jeph intends to portray all the characters as being realistically flawed, so that in any argument both parties will have screwed something up.

Man, I was totally not contributing by not explaining that...sorry.

My point was supposed to be that even if both parties screwed things up--i.e., regret their actions even without hindsight--that doesn't mean we shouldn't determine whether or not one of them screwed things up less than the other.  Now, it doesn't mean we should.  But maybe so: there are real lessons here about 'doing the right thing' or at least 'doing the less wrong thing as understood by ourselves and others'.  Even as we shouldn't demonize the person who doesn't take the nobler path--and there is way too much demonization, but I ignore it--we shouldn't discount the fact that they are, indeed, failing to pursue either their own or others' best long-term ends.  Making them more 'in the wrong' as it were.

I think.  But I'm not a moral relativist.  And I judge everyone (usually for doing good things).  :-o
"Himemiya, I've misjudged you!"
"My image of you is ruined!"

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #279 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:02 »

I'd be rather surprised if Padma even mentions something like that to Grandma. Especially if she rationalizes the whole thing to be a mere fling. How many people even talk about their sex lives with grandparents? Many won't even talk about it with parents.

Besides, it would be rather over the top karmic retribution-not like Marten cursed Padma out or called her nasty names, he was just a bit short with her on the phone and refused an offer to get together with him. I don't think that earns him a bawling out by Padma's Gramma.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #280 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:22 »

I could still envision the following conversation (abridged):

Padma: I met a boy.
Grandma: So where is he?
Padma: I left him behind.
Grandma: What the heck were you thinking?

Still, what's so interesting about the story is that we still haven't really seen the whole thing. We could yet be surprised by what's really going on at Padma's end.

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #281 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:26 »

I could still envision the following conversation (abridged):

Padma: I met a boy.
Grandma: So where is he?
Padma: I left him behind.
Grandma: What the heck were you thinking?

Still, what's so interesting about the story is that we still haven't really seen the whole thing. We could yet be surprised by what's really going on at Padma's end.
I haven't been following QC for particularly long, so I'm not familiar with what happens when a member becomes separated from the cast.  Are we likely to find out what happens on Padma's end?  Is she likely to have a conclusion, or return to the regular cast?  I'd sort of just expected that we'd have the heartbreak for both of them we see right now, just only witnessing it on our protagonist's end, and then never hear directly from her again.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #282 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:27 »

I can't think of a really comparable situation in the archives, except maybe Ellen moving onto the research vessel. Jeph said she is gone forever.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #283 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:29 »

I can't think of a really comparable situation in the archives, except maybe Ellen moving onto the research vessel. Jeph said she is gone forever.
Fair enough.  Then it's a mystery to everyone.  Thank you very much. :-)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #284 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:36 »

Thing is, we did have a sense of closure with Ellen's departure - unlike Sara, who just disappeared and is presumed eaten by an allosaur.

Other than that, all of the majors are still there - except for Faye's family (mom and sis) and Mrs. Chatham.
Just another Joe like 46

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #285 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:43 »

Besides, it would be rather over the top karmic retribution-not like Marten cursed Padma out or called her nasty names, he was just a bit short with her on the phone and refused an offer to get together with him. I don't think that earns him a bawling out by Padma's Gramma.

Agreed.  While Marten may not have handled the situation as well as possible, he didn't really do anything particularly "bad."  All he said was, "I'm busy tonight, but have a safe trip."  Calling him an "asshole" for that seems to me to be overstating it.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #286 on: 12 Jan 2012, 18:48 »

Nobody asked for it because I'm a massive lurker, but here's my two cents having been in a position similar to Marten's;

Padma instigated the action which hurt Marten, however if she's oblivious of that hurt blame can't fully attach to her action.

I think on the basis that her attitude changed  towards Marten (It's been a short relationship and a week long radio silence would be a departure from the norm, surely?) I assume she was aware her action may have prompted a response, either positive or negative. I find it difficult to create an argument that would absolve Padma of  knowledge that what she was doing may have hurt Marten, which really rings true with some of the previous posters talking about how the longer you go on not calling, the harder it is to call.

However, she did call - you could argue it's too little too late but she did try  to make up for her previous behaviour.

As for Marten; he's tried to be adult and responsible by leaving her alone but he obviously feels she owes him some kind of apology, though you can argue she's unaware of exactly how much it's bothered him. However, when the call comes through and the apology doesn't seem forthcoming (not that Marten gives much of an opportunity for her to do so) - Marten falls back into passive aggressive overload.

By calling, Padma has tried to correct her crappy behavour; the biggest question I have to ask is: Will Marten try and correct his crappy behaviour? I think the answer to that question will set the scene for the next arc, with either some kind of growth, or yet another shallow depression.

Personally I think Marten needs a break before his cycles of depression and absolution become a bit too old hat; Faye and Angus have a lot of potential I'd be interested to see developed further at the moment.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #287 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:21 »

I'm going to reveal something - I'm one of the seven who voted "call her back right away and apologize".
Just another Joe like 46

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #288 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:23 »

I'm going to reveal something - I'm one of the seven who voted "call her back right away and apologize".
I don't know how that would work.  Like, as hard as I've been on her here, I don't know if it would be okay for her to accept his apology.  Or where that would leave either of them.  I don't spy a fairy tale ending in the cards.  :C

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #289 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:34 »

I have to head off to work, so...

Should these boards implode before I get a chance to come back and post, it's been great knowing y'all.
Just another Joe like 46

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts
« Reply #290 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:38 »

Whatever happens with Padma is gonna happen, Jeph already has it planned out so let's sit back and enjoy the ride, and secretly plot and wait for Dale and Marigold to get together :D
"I have the weirdest friends."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #291 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:51 »

Or not.

vsonics

• Plantmonster
« Reply #292 on: 12 Jan 2012, 19:54 »

What, seriously?

And not loudly express all of our contradicting opinions and predictions, only to have them proven wrong one comic later?  :psyduck:

That's ridiculous.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #293 on: 12 Jan 2012, 20:05 »

Yeah, where's the fun in that?
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #294 on: 12 Jan 2012, 20:39 »

I don't think that there is going to be an end to this that doesn't involve those around Marten rubbing salt in his wounds. This is just more of a general statement, it does seem like since the breakup the comic has turned more into 'Kick Marten' but that's probably just my view on it.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #295 on: 12 Jan 2012, 21:01 »

He's just that kinda guy. Remember how awful he felt after he accidentally saw Hanners' boob? He's (normally) overly cautious because he's terrified of making the wrong choice. Also it's just not in him to purposely hurt people (at least I didn't think it was). It's probably a good thing he doesn't remember drunkenly hitting on Faye; I suspect he'd ask her if she wanted him to move out. Some people don't need others to tear them apart; they do a thorough job on their own.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #296 on: 12 Jan 2012, 21:08 »

Marten is capable of hurting people: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=697. That was admittedly a special case and one that doesn't bear on how he handles relationships.

It's a critically important point that we're completely in the dark about what's going on internally and externally with Padma.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #297 on: 12 Jan 2012, 21:28 »

Well, that's quite a #2100.

I guess he didn't call her back.

I think that he is in a very bad place right now.

Oh, and the lines under his eyes are back.

truestatic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #298 on: 12 Jan 2012, 21:35 »

Now that we know she's actually decided to leave earlier than she had intended according to her amended plan, I have just lost more of my sympathy for Padma.  :|  "Hey, I decided you aren't worth sticking around for after all, wanna get together tonight?"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #299 on: 12 Jan 2012, 21:35 »

Faye, taking sides against Marten?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up