THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird dreams you've had  (Read 345253 times)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Weird dreams you've had
« Reply #1250 on: 04 Feb 2017, 23:34 »

Last night I dreamed geometry.  A complex figure of three overlapping circles, divided into segments consisting of a central hexagon, and then six square-ish pieces and six triangular-ish pieces around the edges.  I say triangle-ish and square-ish because instead of straight sides they have 30 degree arcs - all concave for the hexes, all convex for the triangles, and two of each for the squares.  This makes all the corners exactly ninety degrees and all edges exactly the same length.   The 'overlap' areas are two triangles (at the ends of the overlap) and a square (in the middle).  This allows any of the three circles to rotate, with the result that squares and triangles get swapped around and rotated independently, sort of like corners in a Rubiks cube.  The triangle in the exact center is shared by all three circles.

It gets weirder.  Each triangle corresponds to a permutation of five elements, and even though there are only thirteen triangles in this figure It's somehow very important to work out exactly how many possible unique triangles there are, so...  there are 120 5-permutations, but eighteen of them don't count because they're mirror images of themselves, and the remaining 102 are divided by three because they can appear in any of three different rotations, meaning there are thirty-four possible triangles that are all distinguishable from each other in any rotation...  And each square corresponds to a permutation of four elements, and there are twenty-four four-permutations but six of them are reflections so that leaves only eighteen, but they can appear in two different orientations so that's only nine, and nine isn't enough because this figure needs fifteen squares so the squares have to be five-permutations not four-permutations, and that seems like overkill because it means there are fifty-two possible squares.....

And about that time I'm waking up and going, hey, subconscious, what the hell was that all about?  Why was figuring that stuff out so important?  Why was I working so hard, in my sleep, to track these damn triangles and squares and how they slide and twist as the circles turn in sequence?  What the hell was that permutations business all about? 

I have some odd dreams, but this one was ... odder than most.

« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2017, 23:48 by Morituri »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1251 on: 12 Feb 2017, 07:36 »

Three nights ago I had a dream where there was this town that was being plagued by ghostly shadows that looked like cats and for some reason I was part of a team that got called in to deal with them. They weren't hurting any one, they were more a nuisance. You could scare them away with a loud noise, like a clap of your hands, but they would always come back. Eventually we found out that there was some huge cat massacre way back in the town's history and we found a way to appease the ghosts and they left

Are you a DM? That sounds like a side quest to me.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

WishDr

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1252 on: 14 Feb 2017, 22:52 »

Three nights ago I finally got my hands on Leanbean and had a dream where there was this town that was being plagued by ghostly shadows that looked like cats and for some reason I was part of a team that got called in to deal with them. They weren't hurting any one, they were more a nuisance. You could scare them away with a loud noise, like a clap of your hands, but they would always come back. Eventually we found out that there was some huge cat massacre way back in the town's history and we found a way to appease the ghosts and they left

Are you a DM? That sounds like a side quest to me.

Dreams are so weird.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2022, 04:24 by WishDr »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1253 on: 15 Feb 2017, 05:27 »

A few nights ago I had a dream in which apparently, the entire milky way galaxy had vanished. As I tried to make sense of this, dream logic went on its merry way around me, leading to a major existential crisis as reality was disintegrating around me. My mind went through every possibility from mad gods to computer simulation but never considered the possibility of a dream. At one point I argued with someone that at this point, the only thing I could be sure of was my own existence. And sure enough, that turned out to be the only real thing.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #1254 on: 03 Mar 2017, 13:22 »

Nice. Congrats on your deep-seated sanity. Hold it close, because I have a feeling you're gonna need it.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1255 on: 06 Mar 2017, 21:27 »

I had a dream where the ghost of Debbie Reynolds was haunting one of the dressing rooms at the theatre I work at. She was very nice though. She said something about donating to the theatre. In the dream I knew that she was dead but she didn't seem to realize it.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1256 on: 13 Mar 2017, 00:09 »

I don't know if there is a scientific basis for the phenomenon of fever dreams. But I do know that in my experience dreams that I have while feverish are disturbing and grotesque, past highlights from my dream journal include parts of my body melting away and all my most treasured personal possessions shattering in front of me like glass.

I'm currently running a temperature of 102 F. I don't want to go to sleep but I know I need to rest. I wish I had some Cold and Flu PM-type medicine on hand. It helps me have a more relaxed sleep when sick.

Pretty sure it's been years since the last time I had a fever. The last time I was bed-ridden-level sick was back in June with the whooping cough, but I didn't have a very significant fever then, I suppose maybe because I was vaccinated against it. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1257 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:05 »

I had a dream the other night that I got arrested on a cocaine-related charge.

In real life, this would absolutely ruin me. Torch my relationships with my family, and mean I would never work in education again.

It was a vivid, realistic, grounded dream and it was fucking terrifying.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1258 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:09 »

From a dream I had two years ago

I'm not entirely sure why, but the idea of a Breaking Bad/Scooby-Doo mashup was on my mind today. Velma would be Heisenberg, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo would be Jessie, Daphne would be the voice of reason so she's Skylar, and Fred would either be Hank or Mike, depending on whether or not I would add in Scrappy-Doo (Scrappy would be Hank). It all started with, "Like zoinks Scoob, I think Velma's taking this meth thing a little too seriously"

I'm pretty sure I talked about this before

ryangoslink

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1259 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:20 »

Last night I had a dream that my brother and I were walking through a forest and stumbled upon the house of a witch. She then proceeded to put my brother into an oven and try to cook him. I don't remember what happens next haha

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1260 on: 13 Mar 2017, 12:36 »

Last night I had a dream that my brother and I were walking through a forest and stumbled upon the house of a witch. She then proceeded to put my brother into an oven and try to cook him. I don't remember what happens next haha

You didn't learn your Hänsel & Gretel properly, did you? You're supposed to shove her into the oven before she plonks your brother in.

Sidequest failed! Do you wish to try again? (Yes/No)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Morituri

« Reply #1261 on: 17 Mar 2017, 22:54 »

Last night I dreamed finding my cat with horrible injuries (abrasions deep enough to expose several bones) and frantically trying to find a vet.  And trying.  And trying.... 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1262 on: 02 Apr 2017, 11:10 »

My fever dreams carry a sense of deep conviction to them, like they're communicating some vital eternal truth.

The latest weird dream is the one where I was Smokey the Bear and was counseling a mad scientist (played by Gene Wilder) not to go too far with his experiment to culture human gut bacteria in vitro.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1263 on: 29 Apr 2017, 03:32 »

It's like I just woke up from a movie.

First thing I remember is being part of a bank heist. A bunch of dudes went into a bank wearing all black and ski masks, and the leader boldly proclaimed "This is a robbery," then pulled the fire alarm. He then finds the 'false alarm' button, which stops any sort of response from the authorities. Everyone proceeds to empty the ATMs by cashing cheques (I suppose these were obtained earlier) which also have a chance of giving you extra money, like the ATMs were also slot machines. Bags are filled with cash and everyone gets the hell out.

Cut to the exterior, where we see a security-camera perspective of the group escaping, when suddenly waves of aurorae sweep through the area, knocking all the robbers off their feet and tossing them about. It's someone using telekinesis to take them out. But a floating, black, writhing mass suddenly appears, dispelling the aurorae. Then there's Alan Rickman, saying "She's still out there. I'll disrupt her alpha wave coherence." Cut to an arcane dimension, where he casts a spell with Doctor Strange-like geometrical effects, with a Da Vinci-esque flair to them.

The spell travels through the arcane dimension toward the unseen psychic. Cut to her in a remote location, surrounded by aurorae, concentrating intensely. She does not expect the spell, and when it hits her, we instantly transition to the arcane dimension, like she's knocked into it. A net of geometric patterns covers her skin, writhing magically, and the force of the impact seems to dislodge something from the back of her head. It's a giant iridescent butterfly, which is the source of her power, and as it floats over her head it slowly curls up and transforms into an egg. The egg lands into her hands, and beam of light passes over the arcane dimension, briefly revealing the real world, where the egg is in her hands as well. Moments later, she faints.

There was a lot more background to this but I can't remember it all, which is a damn shame.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1264 on: 29 Apr 2017, 05:30 »

It's like I just woke up from a movie.

First thing I remember is being part of a bank heist ...

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1265 on: 01 May 2017, 06:11 »

Just now I was being recruited for a Catholic doomsday cult. Three actual Italian priests came to my house and blessed me in Italian. I said "I don't know how to respond to that," and one answered "Also."

They come in, and I check the fridge but it's empty except for a quarter-full bottle of orange juice. One of them shows me a video on his phone that claims many recent world events indicate that doomsday is imminent. It has arguments like "The emancipation of women means an unprecedented decline in birthrates. If this trend continues, it will cause the end of the human race," and "Scientists say that the doomsday clock is two minutes to midnight. We must prepare for the inevitable."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1266 on: 01 May 2017, 06:28 »

Does anyone else have recurring scenarios in dreams, which have little or no bearing on what's actually going on?

I often have a scene in a dream where I suddenly have to drive (or am just suddenly in a car) and having to drive away from something/one quite quickly... but in reverse... and I don't ever try to turn around and look, but only ever using the mirrors for guidance.

Oddly.. I never crash, but I always have VERY close shaves.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1267 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:57 »

I used to have a recurring dream where everyone around me would slowly turn to stone, but haven't for a decade at least.

Recently I'm noticing a pattern to my dreams, which is that they won't end until some kind of tension or conflict is resolved, or I'm about to come to grievous bodily harm. Just this morning I went back to sleep after my alarm rung, ended up in a dream where I fought someone, which de-escalated into an argument, which was then resolved, and only then did I wake up, ten minutes after turning off my alarm. It's always like that, I will never wake up while in an agitated dream state.

The other case - grievous bodily harm - is something many people experience. A few days ago I dreamed a gamey murder-spree in an underwater military facility (while telling myself I shouldn't be doing this) and somewhere a leak sprung, causing a torrent of water to sweep me down a corridor, and when I was about to collide at high speed with a metal bulkhead, everything faded to black and I woke up normally, not with a shock or anything, just like I always do.

I find this strange, because if my brain can simulate the feeling of suddenly being washed away by a torrential flow, it must also be able to simulate being smashed hard against a wall, and that was exactly what I was anticipating. I mean, I've even felt pain in my dreams, after being stung by an insect, so it's not like any experience that should be painful is automatically dream-ending. Maybe there's a brain function that ends dreams when certain sensory regions get over-involved.

That's a thing that always happens in dreams, right? You dream about falling and wake up when you were expecting the impact to happen. Or like Joe describes, there's never an impact but always a very close shave. I wonder why?

Morituri

« Reply #1268 on: 21 Aug 2017, 19:25 »

There is a recurring cat in my dreams.  He's a housecat-looking cat, except for his bright red fur.  I mean, brighter red than any natural fur.  The color of a stop sign or a fire truck.  I have no idea why his fur is red.  He is never close enough to touch, but always seen at a distance. 

I spotted him once as I was going through morning routine, getting ready to go down to breakfast (in my dream) when I heard a teakettle whistling outside. I looked out the window and down into a blacksmith's shop, and saw the teakettle whistling on top of a red-hot anvil. The cat was curled up on the other end of the anvil, peacefully snoozing.  In another dream I spotted him again leaping between trees for distances and with a grace that would make a squirrel proud - or in this case, terrified, since he was chasing one.  And in another dream, at a dance, the cat was perched on the chandelier up next to the ceiling.  No one else had noticed him, and to avoid a general panic it was very important that I should not point him out.

He keeps showing up.  He's apparently pretty indestructible and agile.  Other than that though, he's just a cat and does cat things. Somehow though, whenever he shows up, I have to keep quiet about him because for some reason he's a secret.

Tlaloc

• Larger than most fish
  • Out of Work Rain Deity
« Reply #1269 on: 25 Aug 2017, 05:12 »

I've switched to early shifts this week, apparently interrupting an REM cycle around 6am in the process. So, here we go.

Cartoon comic, three panels.
Title 'Down in Irish Harlem'
Monkeys ala planet of the apes (original) in elegant victorian dress, think sashes and lots of jewelry. Two women and a boy. All wearing turbans with jeweled segments.

First panel, the boy is crying and the two women look on as a small zeppelin has crashed into his turban.

Second panel, the two women are only in frame, looking to one another. The older one says 'who could have done this?'

Third panel, the two women look out the frame at the reader.

I have no godly idea, but enjoy. :psyduck: :psyduck:
The point where Existentialist, Taoist and Buddhist thought meet is fascinating.

What goes on inside matters more than what goes on without? If the world beyond our skulls is a cypher that only we can provide meaning to & control is an illusion, what can we expect of ourselves or others?

audrina

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1270 on: 25 Aug 2017, 05:40 »

Tsunami...

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1271 on: 23 Sep 2017, 17:48 »

I had a weird dream that was a mashup of the Dragon Ball and Sonic Universes.

Not sure whether it was more game Sonic, Archie Sonic, or Sonic Boom. But the character designs were hybridized between the two art styles, with a few color changes to the DB outfits. It might have leaned a bit more toward Sonic Boom since the characters were all a bit taller than the other series would indicate (Sonic-Goku was 4′9″ instead of 4′5″. The five mashups I specifically remember are Sonic-Goku, Krillin-Tails, Amy-Bulma, Vegeta-Shadow, and Uncle Chuck- Master Roshi.

I wish I could remember more of the character mashups, but the story mostly focused on Krillin-Tails’ two kids. *shakes fist at DB GT* I’m really curious who the Soniverse mashup for Lazuli (Android 18) was since her kids were ¾ of the dream. Sonic-Goku was dealing with some sort of monster curse (not the the aglæca ígl ⃰  form from Unleashed). That would have probably been more interesting. Especially since he was able to wear a cowl to hide it.

⃰  aglæca ígl > ‘aglæca’ ferocious fighter, ‘ígl’ hedgehog.
werehog > ‘were’ man, ‘hog’ pig
Also, ‘werehog’ just plain sounds stupid.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1272 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:29 »

Had a dream that I was hanging out with some of my favourite social media people and other celebrities and at one point, one of them was kinda flirty with me and I now have a mini crush on my idea of this person. This seems to be something that happens once or twice every year to me.

Also had a bonus dream about getting new guinea pigs and they were running about on the floor all squeaky and happy and I woke up in a great mood. Neat.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1273 on: 05 Feb 2018, 21:12 »

had one the other night:
I'm being chased. then Captured & beaten.
I manage to escape.
Chased. captured. beaten.
escape again.
Chased like I've got a homing beacon: nothing I can do loses the attacker.
captured. beaten.
Escape again.
This time, I'm ready to FIGHT.
Obtain weapon, ambush attacker.
I get captured and beaten again.
etc...
etc...
etc..
I woke up feeling like I'd run 20 miles.  :(

Psychological Analysis, anyone?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1274 on: 08 Feb 2018, 03:18 »

Ever have one of those dreams that make you think "Man, I have got to remember that one" while still asleep? Last night I had one of those. It was astonishing in how detailed it was, not in the sensory way but conceptually. I had just watched this video about mosquitoes and that was enough to prime me to dream about monstrous Triassic murderbugs.

I'm in a village at night, and there are all these fireflies around. They're blue and yellow. Only, they feed on people. Not like a ravenous swarm of locusts, but individually, they bite people and drink their blood. The blue ones seem harmless, maybe they're like normal mosquitoes, but the yellow ones, once they've fed, grow gigantic, roughly to the size of a twelve-year-old human. Horrifying. Once in this form they weren't as dangerous as they looked, though, nor were they especially aggressive. I encountered one and managed to kick it down and crush it by repeatedly stomping on it with both feet.

Oh, but there's more. There are now red fireflies, and they're especially bad news. These are aggressive, and not only do they drink blood, they lay eggs in people as well. Their normal-sized form grows much more quickly after having fed, and once it does, they mercilessly hunt people down to put their eggs in them, which look like grapefruit-sized abcesses filled with glowing red liquid, protruding from the skin. They also cause their prey to become panicked and frenzied, causing them to run away from the attacking bugs, other infected, and towards healthy people for help, all while newly hatched bugs are crawling out of their skin, making them spread exponentially. They can reach critical mass within minutes, an unstoppable tide of bugs and infected humans. So when I heard screaming and saw red fireflies mixed in with the blues and yellows down the street, I ran the other way as fast as my legs could carry me.

In a way, I'm kind of glad my brain decided to use its processing power to craft a nightmare scenario that didn't have me at the center of it, but man. This is disturbing in a way my dreams usually aren't.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #1275 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:54 »

Lately, I've been experiencing where I'd be in a dream, and then I'd have something happen that would tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm dreaming, but before I can go full Lucid Dreaming, I'd wake up.

It is SO ANNOYING. I feel like I'm really close to being the architect of my own nocturnal reality, but I can't just stay the Hell asleep.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1276 on: 22 Feb 2018, 10:00 »

It's inevitable, to a certain degree. Your prefrontal cortex is suppressed while you're sleeping, and if you interfere with that suppression by having pesky self-aware thoughts, your brain automatically goes "ABORT SLEEP" and there goes your lucid dream. You have to be aware of dreaming and simultaneously not think about it too hard to reach stable lucidity.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1277 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:22 »

Lately, I've been experiencing where I'd be in a dream, and then I'd have something happen that would tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm dreaming, but before I can go full Lucid Dreaming, I'd wake up.

It is SO ANNOYING. I feel like I'm really close to being the architect of my own nocturnal reality, but I can't just stay the Hell asleep.

Man... it took me YEARS to get to grips with lucid dreaming...
And then I kinda got bored with it. (Probably because I never fully locked it down...)

I've spoken with a few people about this, and they too have had bother getting it going... I don't know if it's indicative of some kind of "natural tendency" to be able to do it, but even from a very young age I would have dreams where I became aware during the dream that I was in fact dreaming, and discussed (or at least announced) this to people in the dream.

Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1278 on: 28 Apr 2018, 09:04 »

Darth Vader fights Obi Wan with a lightsaber in one hand and the infinity glove in the other. Both kill each other.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #1279 on: 29 Apr 2018, 12:08 »

I was trying to track down Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine using a sat nav, and he turned out to be working in an Amazon warehouse in Ebbw Vale, in some sort of secretarial role.

Morituri

« Reply #1280 on: 15 May 2018, 10:17 »

We were various animals from various military organizations, having a soccer match, on land that was a patchwork of diplomatic zones, as some kind of military cooperation slash diplomatic exercise.  I was a reticulated python, serving as goalie for the NATO team, and a US Army Ranger (in real life I have never served in the military.  Aside from having no wish to enlist, I was disqualified from even registering for the draft on account of size.  Also, don't even ask me how the rules of the game apply to players without arms, legs, hands, and feet.). 

The winning goal was scored by a Belgian Schnauzer, who tunneled under the goal line while a US Air Force Brown Bear (don't ask me how he qualified for Air Force; in our universe they don't take anyone over 5'11") and an Australian Wombat guarded the entry to his tunnel.  I was pretty sure the Wombat could have made better time tunneling, but also doubt he could've been spared from that guard duty.  The Belgian was deeply concerned by the fact that he'd accidentally come up in Saudi territory; Saudi Arabia wasn't participating in the game, and his tunnel might cause a diplomatic incident. 

The red cat who often haunts my dreams was also present, playing forward for NATO, apparently a member of the UK commando forces, along with an equally red Welsh Dragon from the UK air force.  I didn't get a chance to talk to him.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 10:23 by Morituri »

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #1281 on: 15 May 2018, 15:55 »

Had an awkward QC-themed dream last night in which I hooked up with Sven. However, he kept getting distracted and talking about Final Fantasy characters.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1282 on: 16 May 2018, 05:58 »

Actual conversation between a friend of mine and one of his friends:

'I was having a... you know, like a really boring nightmare?'
'A boring nightmare?'
'Yeah.'
'...You mean a dream?'
'...Oh yeah.'

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1283 on: 18 May 2018, 03:10 »

I was the representative of the EU in a diplomatic meeting with Trump and Putin. We argued pretty hard.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1284 on: 18 May 2018, 03:21 »

Actual conversation between a friend of mine and one of his friends:

'I was having a... you know, like a really boring nightmare?'
'A boring nightmare?'
'Yeah.'
'...You mean a dream?'
'...Oh yeah.'

I can't remember the last time I had a full-on nightmare...
And I'm almost miffed about that!
Covenant

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1285 on: 18 May 2018, 05:25 »

Not exactly nightmares, but I have frequent dreams full of dread and low-grade cthonic horror concerning shaving.  I haven't been clean-shaven in eight years.  I'm not sure what my chin looks like these days. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1286 on: 18 May 2018, 10:32 »

There was a couple months last year where I was having horribly violent dreams and they'd stay with me for days and I was scared of sleeping for a while. When I did sleep, I'd always wake up in fear and have to turn lights on and it would take hours to calm dow. I actually checked the thread there and I vaguely posted about one. I was very stressed at that time so that was probably the cause. Also getting on meds helped a lot.

Gyrre

« Reply #1287 on: 19 May 2018, 16:45 »

I was my D&D character (an ex-pirate white dragonborn rogue) and he/I was going into either a library or a temple of Ioun. On his way in a little girl told him/me that he/I "looked like grandpa". The kid looked mostly dragonborn, but had a more human looking face and horns a bit too big for a green dragonborn (her grandma was a green dragonborn). Then some tiefling comes over and says "Now sweety, what have I told you about talking to strangers?" Of course, as far as my character kknowsso far in our current game, he doesn't have anykids, let alone grandkids. So, he/I was just flabbergasted and barely managed to speak up in time to ask the teifling WTF (not in those exact words).

I should mention that my character has black-tipped white scales thanks to his father being a black dragonborn and his mother being a white dragonborn (rolled randomly, that's what I got), so he's pretty distinct looking.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1288 on: 19 May 2018, 22:43 »

There was a couple months last year where I was having horribly violent dreams and they'd stay with me for days and I was scared of sleeping for a while. When I did sleep, I'd always wake up in fear and have to turn lights on and it would take hours to calm dow. I actually checked the thread there and I vaguely posted about one. I was very stressed at that time so that was probably the cause. Also getting on meds helped a lot.
Glad you are doing better, now.

I had a similar issue as a teenager following my assault. Every time I fell asleep, I had terrible nightmares. I developed a pretty heavy drug habit for a while trying to avoid sleep. The lack of sleep combined with the trauma and a pre-existing mood disorder resulted in a rather extremely toxic mixture.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1289 on: 20 May 2018, 08:43 »

Thank you.

Sorry to hear you dealt with that. Sleep quality and quantity is a hard thing to have issues with and it can snowball fast. Hope you're doing better.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1290 on: 19 Jul 2018, 10:47 »

My entire body was covered in bees, but for some reason it was a singular wasp among them that really bothered me. Maybe I was the bee hivemind?

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1291 on: 19 Jul 2018, 13:11 »

As a kid I had a recurring nightmare during which our house was surrounded by kobolds. Not only that, they all were instances of the same kobold from a German TV show, Pumuckl. Rest of the details fled my mind over the decades.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #1292 on: 19 Jul 2018, 23:16 »

Many years back I had a dream that I was a soldier in the Vietnam war. During the dream, me and the other soldiers visited a brothel of sorts, where the main attraction was a prostitute having sex with some sort of transparent jelly creature in a bath tub. After that, I went to a warehouse elsewhere where I encountered a Vietnamese child who needed to go to a military base for some reason. We got a taxi and went to the military base (riding on the back of the overloaded taxi like some of those pictures you see of trains in India, ducking razor sharp wires stretched across the road). At the military base I was separated from the child and taken to see an officer and a doctor looking over a sick man. The officer demanded I help the sick man, and when I said I couldn't, the officer uttered some sort of ear piercing cry and dissolved into sand.

So I ran. The layout of the base kept changing and every time I tried talking to someone they'd utter the same cry and dissolve the same way. Eventually I realized I was being followed by the grim reaper. I tried to get away, but every time I turned a corner, he'd get a little closer. In the end, he got close enough to swing his scyth, at which point I woke up.

It left an impression.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1293 on: 01 Aug 2018, 06:46 »

I wasn't sure where to post it, but since it was set off by I dream I think this place will do.

I had a terrible experience last night.  I was in a dream where I was JCVD and I was sneaking around in a hospital/apartment building after some thugs torched all my stuff.  I was climbing a ladder in the fire escape of the hospital when the ladder broke and I grabbed the ledge and pulled myself to it.  I knew in the dream that by touching the cement wall with my chest it would be cold and braced for it.  I then woke up, needing to go to the bathroom.  Getting out of bed, going to and using the bathroom, and returning to bed; I was shivering uncontrollably as if I was nude and it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. In reality it was 72.  I think it was a psychosomatic response form the dream knowing I would be cold. I did not feel cold to the touch nor did I feel cold in general but I just could not stop shivering like I was. I got back into bed and wrapped myself in warm blankets and I was still shivering continuously.  I woke up my wife and told her I can't stop shivering me and asked her to hold me to get me warm.  After awhile the shivering slowed down and went away and I fell back asleep.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Morituri

« Reply #1294 on: 15 Aug 2018, 18:12 »

I was driving and I saw a kinetic sculpture next to the road.  It was at one of those little "eyeblink towns" you find along freeways that seems to consist of a filling station, a truck stop restaurant, a hotel, and a gift shop.

The kinetic sculpture though, was fascinating and impressive.  It consisted of a silver pylon, on which a thing possibly inspired by a windmill was mounted.  Long silver blades, weirdly curved and twisted, many of them jointed or socketed relative to each other and all balanced so the joints could move without being affected by gravity, caught the languid desert breeze and moved.  It seemed to squirm, twisting and turning and transforming itself as its joints and hinges and sockets and things all moved.  The blades wove in and out around each other in a mesmerizing slow chaos, twisting and turning and sweeping through the same space but never quite colliding.  Every so often they would all reach upward, or sideways, at once, making a silhouette like a stand of squirming saguaro seen through the eyes of someone on LSD. 

I got out of the car and stood staring at the thing for the sort of ambiguously timeless moment that occurs in dreams, where it might have been a few seconds or hours.   I became certain that it was looking back.  But it just plain didn't care about me, and continued its slow-motion dance, with the sky twisting and whirling around it.  It was a sentient thing of some kind, just enjoying its place in the world and the desert heat and the blast-furnace breezes that drove people inside to the relief of airconditioning.

There was a little plaque on the foot of the pylon that probably gave the name of the artist and the sculpture, but the sweeping blades were far too dangerous to get close enough to attempt to read it. 

I was hungry - another condition that never bothered the perfectly placed dancer that (who) loved this place so much - and turned to go into the truck stop for dinner. 

As I did so I saw a much larger sign - a wooden thing, sloppily hand-painted, in the yard of the house next to the truck stop.  It was one of about four houses in the place - probably everybody who lived in those houses worked at one of the very few businesses.  The sign said, "FREE FOXES."

I wondered whether it referred to a price for foxes offered as pets, or simply described a family of local foxes living free on the desert, or if it was maybe a command to anyone that found foxes constrained by pens.   With this minor mystery unresolved, I think I was looking at the menu when I woke up.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1295 on: 16 Aug 2018, 00:16 »

That sounds.... eerily beautiful.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1296 on: 14 Nov 2018, 08:07 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often. I'm aware that this is not how people run while I'm doing it, but somehow it feels perfectly natural and much easier and faster than running on two legs, completely unlike the reality of running on your hands and feet. Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run? Is this the reason why it always seems like you're going through molasses when you run inside a dream? Does my Cretaceous-mammal-dream-brain not understand that humans run on two legs and not four, and when it tries to do the former it doesn't get anywhere?

Or am I secretly just a really smart dog?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1297 on: 14 Nov 2018, 09:46 »

Anyone else see that post as just the word 'woof' over and over again?  :mrgreen:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1298 on: 14 Nov 2018, 11:20 »

Pika pika!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1299 on: 15 Nov 2018, 00:55 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often. I'm aware that this is not how people run while I'm doing it, but somehow it feels perfectly natural and much easier and faster than running on two legs, completely unlike the reality of running on your hands and feet. Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run? Is this the reason why it always seems like you're going through molasses when you run inside a dream? Does my Cretaceous-mammal-dream-brain not understand that humans run on two legs and not four, and when it tries to do the former it doesn't get anywhere?

Or am I secretly just a really smart dog?

I GET THAT!

Not terribly often, but often enough that it's a *thing*.
Covenant
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Up