Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 23 Mar 2019, 11:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird dreams you've had  (Read 126911 times)

JoeCovenant

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Weird dreams you've had
« Reply #1300 on: 15 Nov 2018, 00:55 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often. I'm aware that this is not how people run while I'm doing it, but somehow it feels perfectly natural and much easier and faster than running on two legs, completely unlike the reality of running on your hands and feet. Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run? Is this the reason why it always seems like you're going through molasses when you run inside a dream? Does my Cretaceous-mammal-dream-brain not understand that humans run on two legs and not four, and when it tries to do the former it doesn't get anywhere?

Or am I secretly just a really smart dog?

I GET THAT!

Not terribly often, but often enough that it's a *thing*.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1301 on: 15 Nov 2018, 09:58 »

I've had dreams where running on all-fours (or all-eights), or brachiating through the trees like a monkey with prehensile tail and feet, or flying by flapping my wings, seemed perfectly normal and natural.  But those are not dreams where I occupied anything like human form.

LTK

« Reply #1302 on: 15 Nov 2018, 11:22 »

I've had dreams where running on all-fours (or all-eights), or brachiating through the trees like a monkey with prehensile tail and feet, or flying by flapping my wings, seemed perfectly normal and natural.  But those are not dreams where I occupied anything like human form.

Man, I wish I had shapeshifting dreams. Whenever I fly in my dreams I just am somehow able to with my own arms.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Case

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1303 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:21 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often.

I've never had this dream - but a quick Google-search for 'dreaming of running on all fours' reveals that apparently, you're far from the only one (I get almost 4 million hits).

Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run?

Maybe? Perhaps Mother Nature got tired of writing specialized locomotion-code for primates time and again (arboreal primates, arboreal primates with prehensile tails, ...) whenever one of our cousins discovered yet another way of tumbling trough the landscape and just decided: "Fuck this - I'm writing a universal BIOS for the buggers now!

If the critters think they'll be happier with a super-sized neocortex and its energy-demands ... OhShit ... What did I do?"

:laugh:
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2018, 12:28 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you donít know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

cesium133

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1304 on: 16 Feb 2019, 07:02 »

Last night I forgot to turn the TV in the living room off before falling asleep. It was on a channel that only shows game shows. I ended up having a dream about being on a quiz show that was hosted by a lion at a zoo. The lion would occasionally interrupt the questions he was asking to snarl at a tiger in a neighboring cage. The answer to the question I remember him asking, "Where did the Wright Brothers make their first flight?", was "Kitty Hawk."  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Castlerook

• Older than Moses
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #1305 on: 17 Feb 2019, 10:26 »

During the week, I dreamt that a lion had escaped from a local collection and people were warned not to go near the animal. So in this dream, I was walking into the kitchen and I saw the lion was in the back garden, and it was massive, like 8 foot at the shoulder. I tried to warn my sister, but she didn't believe me. I tried to get her to call the Guards, and while she did, it was more "Haha, my brother says there's a lion in our garden."

Then the lion saw me and leapt at me. And that's when I woke up.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

hedgie

• Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #1306 on: 17 Feb 2019, 11:57 »

I'm sure that the big kitty just wanted to play.  Unfortunately, it seems, it thought that you were a big mouse.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Case

• Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1307 on: 17 Feb 2019, 15:25 »

Dang! You guys really take your weird dreaming seriously, don't you?  :laugh:

Lions ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you donít know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Castlerook

• Older than Moses
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #1308 on: 17 Feb 2019, 16:00 »

Dream big or go home.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1309 on: 11 Mar 2019, 18:35 »

I recently dreamt that I took up farming.
all good, nuthing weird there.
but then, when it was time to harvest, I was pulling out these dehydrated emergency food rations.
rice and beans for the most part.
I knew in my dream that farming doesn't work that way,
so I started picking from another row.
that row was giving me flavor and seasoning packets for the rice and beans.
again, I knew that isn't right, so I went to pick fruit.
... and I was picking packets of vacuum sealed, dehydrated fruit.
so I went to ask ?someone? what was going on.
and I think they were telling me I was growing emergency food rations for the UN (or something)
then they asked me when my crop of dehydrated meats was coming in.
... and I woke up.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

cybersmurf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1310 on: 12 Mar 2019, 03:08 »

recently, when falling asleep, I keep thinking about stuff amd apparently it turns into lucid dreaming. but then I suddenly come to my senses, immediately forgetting what it was about. like "holy crap, it's right there, why can't I remember?"
it's kind of annoying.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

cesium133

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1311 on: Today at 05:33 »

I think the contents of my dream last night may be best left as a Noodle Incident, but the result of the dream was that after I woke up, I found myself looking up the history of the invention of the photodiode to try to prove my dream's historical inaccuracy. Turns out awake me was wrong:psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up