Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 31 Oct 2020, 08:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 247726 times)

dutchrvl

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2400 on: 08 Oct 2020, 06:55 »

Not about a movie I watched, but I wanted to make a plug for the Chicago International Film Festival here. I used to love it when I still lived there, and this year they are going virtual, meaning you can stream many of the movies between Oct 14-25.

A few movies are not streamed online, and some are restricted to those located in the midwest states only, but the majority can be streamed nationwide.

They have a lot of really interesting movies on offer, including a good number of movies related to LGBTQ and/or BIPOC issues. E.g. Mama Gloria about black transgender icon Gloria Allen.

link

Tova

• Preventing third impact
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2401 on: 10 Oct 2020, 04:54 »

April and the Extraordinary World

So much fun.
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2402 on: 10 Oct 2020, 09:39 »

4 movies over the past 4 days:
-Siren: the sequel/prequel/who really knows to my favorite segment from VHS. A bachelor party at a brothel filled with monsters
-The Night Eats The World: The loneliness of a post apocalyptic world. Feels very weird watching this during the pandemic cause the main character can not go outside or else he'll die. Not a lot of scares and more of a thinker
-Ghost Stories: 3 shorts wrapped into an overall story. I thought Martin Freeman would be in it for the whole thing, but he only appears near the end
-Cargo: Zombies in the outback. Another Martin Freeman movie, this time he's throughout and it made me cry by the end

oddtail

• The Tickler
« Reply #2403 on: 11 Oct 2020, 08:51 »

I finally watched "Knives Out".

Here's my spoiler-free take on it:

I love murder mysteries. This is one of the best ones I've seen in a long time. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is witty and snappy (which is important in a mystery), the characters are despicable or likeable as appropriate for the plot, the mystery is set up, developed, and concluded very skilfully, and the dramatic tension is maintained through some very well thought-out plotting.

Not only that, but the music is excellent, the humour lands, and here's the most important part:

The plot makes SENSE, so that the viewer can make their own guesses and attempt to figure things out. Which is CRUCIAL. The worst mysteries are ones where new information comes out of the left field with the audience given no foreknowledge to speculate themselves (I'm looking at you, BBC's "Sherlock").

Also, Captain America tells people to eat shit in this movie. Which is the best thing ever.

The movie is damn near perfect, so if any of y'all haven't seen it yet, do so.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2404 on: 11 Oct 2020, 15:15 »

I finally watched "Knives Out".

Here's my spoiler-free take on it:

I love murder mysteries. This is one of the best ones I've seen in a long time. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is witty and snappy (which is important in a mystery), the characters are despicable or likeable as appropriate for the plot, the mystery is set up, developed, and concluded very skilfully, and the dramatic tension is maintained through some very well thought-out plotting.

Not only that, but the music is excellent, the humour lands, and here's the most important part:

The plot makes SENSE, so that the viewer can make their own guesses and attempt to figure things out. Which is CRUCIAL. The worst mysteries are ones where new information comes out of the left field with the audience given no foreknowledge to speculate themselves (I'm looking at you, BBC's "Sherlock").

Also, Captain America tells people to eat shit in this movie. Which is the best thing ever.

The movie is damn near perfect, so if any of y'all haven't seen it yet, do so.
Haven't seen it... but the name of the murdered man reminded me of the old Choose Your Own Adventure series of children's books - one of the first six (I think it was the fourth one) cast the reader as a detective and was titled Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey?

EDIT: It was actually the ninth book in the series. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Choose_Your_Own_Adventure_books
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2405 on: 29 Oct 2020, 17:42 »

I know people like to shit on it, but I just love Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. Sure it deviates from the novel a bit (a lot) but its just so fun to watch. The cinematography is just so great! Poor Keanu was a total miscast though.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• Preventing third impact
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2406 on: Yesterday at 00:13 »

Strict adherence to the source material is so overrated.
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

dutchrvl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2407 on: Yesterday at 07:03 »

Strict adherence to the source material is so overrated.

Damn right it is. Books are not movies/series, and what works for a book may not work at all on the screen, and vice versa.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2408 on: Yesterday at 07:29 »

I know people like to shit on it, but I just love Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. Sure it deviates from the novel a bit (a lot) but its just so fun to watch. The cinematography is just so great! Poor Keanu was a total miscast though.
Reeves and Ryder both were awful in that film. We're it not for Oldman and Hopkins, there would be no compelling reason to watch it.
And Tom Waits. He's always a treat.
stePH
--

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Skateboarding guitar ninja
« Reply #2409 on: Yesterday at 07:33 »

I would argue the film is worth watching for the aesthetics alone. It is an absolutely gorgeous film. The visuals alone make it worth every minute. The sound is great too. As a sensory experience, the film is top notch.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2410 on: Yesterday at 17:09 »

I would argue the film is worth watching for the aesthetics alone. It is an absolutely gorgeous film. The visuals alone make it worth every minute. The sound is great too. As a sensory experience, the film is top notch.
Okay, fair.
I still think Ryder and Reeves are almost unwatchable.
stePH
--

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2411 on: Yesterday at 17:29 »

I read that they originally wanted Johnny Depp to play Johnathan Harker, but the studio execs said he was too much of an unknown and to go with Keanu since he was more familiar with public audiences.

I also liked Sleepy Hollow. I haven't watched it in years but I thought it was great too. Dracula though is my go to for the Halloween season. Hocus Pocus too.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2412 on: Yesterday at 19:03 »

I read that they originally wanted Johnny Depp to play Johnathan Harker, but the studio execs said he was too much of an unknown and to go with Keanu since he was more familiar with public audiences.

I also liked Sleepy Hollow. I haven't watched it in years but I thought it was great too. Dracula though is my go to for the Halloween season. Hocus Pocus too.
The Harkers should have been cast with English actors. Even I can do a better accent than Reeves or Ryder did.
stePH
--

N.N. Marf

• Furry furrier
  • Jeph-reads-the-forums truther
« Reply #2413 on: Today at 01:06 »

Coppola is hit-or-miss. Half his films are great, half his films are terrible. Many persons agree even on the exact partition, but for some reason, don't agree which are the good ones, which are the bad ones. I'll probably watch Dracula if I think it's in of the good ones.. What's your opinion of The Godfather?
Quote from: don't recall
If you consider post count as age, I'm quite old. Most of us are certifiably ancient around here. But like age, it often doesn't reflect maturity.
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, 5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2414 on: Today at 07:41 »

What's your opinion of The Godfather?
Its a real slow burn, was intriguing and I am glad I to have watched it. However its too much of a commitment to watch it. If I see Dracula on tv or offered on a stream service, I'd probably watch it. I do not feel that way toward The Godfather.

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Skateboarding guitar ninja
« Reply #2415 on: Today at 08:11 »

I can't comment on the "objective" quality of The Godfather, it may possibly be a well crafted piece of cinema,  I can only say that it definitely wasn't my taste. It was largely boring to me, and I really didn't care about any character in it.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]   Go Up