Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 22 Jan 2021, 17:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 260725 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2450 on: 08 Dec 2020, 13:16 »

Warning: snark overflow
:?
So it turns out too much snark, becomes anti-snark.
Still not clear on what you're referring to.
Sorry, it's one of those things that becomes tacitly understood---it's `obvious'---after a while inured in the schlock---there's even a website named after it, so it kinda slipped my mind that it's jargon. An `overflow,' often, is a (computer) error condition about too-much. I was referencing integer overflow, where adding 1 to the maximum value, becomes the minimum value---a `large' negative number, in some cases.
(I would be interested to know if this is too much or still too little explanation, to better calibrate my sense of how much explanation would be appropriate.)
Way too much explanation. You're really in the weeds now.

ALL I was asking is what particular post prompted the "snark overflow" comment.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Eminently punchable
« Reply #2451 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:52 »

I think the movie in question was the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. When you asked which one, I think Tova thought you were pretending it didn't exist because it was so bad you'd rather forget it. Hope that clears things up (and that I'm actually right about that).
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• WoW gold miner on break
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2452 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:09 »

Warning: snark overflow
:?
So it turns out too much snark, becomes anti-snark.
Still not clear on what you're referring to.
Sorry, it's one of those things that becomes tacitly understood---it's `obvious'---after a while inured in the schlock---there's even a website named after it, so it kinda slipped my mind that it's jargon. An `overflow,' often, is a (computer) error condition about too-much. I was referencing integer overflow, where adding 1 to the maximum value, becomes the minimum value---a `large' negative number, in some cases.
(I would be interested to know if this is too much or still too little explanation, to better calibrate my sense of how much explanation would be appropriate.)

I really didn't want to explain - I started to, but it ended up being way too much explanation and so I bailed.

But if you just want to know just that - it wasn't any particular post, it was the sum effect of all of them.

To clarify though, it wasn't intended as a critcism, more a bemused observation/joke. And I also acknowledge that I out-snarked everyone.

Edit: Gnabberwocky, you are correct, and managed it succinctly. It certainly read that way. I drew that conclusion because I felt it was clear what movie was being referred to myself, and I had no idea that the movie existed until that moment (only the animated series).
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Generic Greeting
« Reply #2453 on: 09 Dec 2020, 00:38 »

I way misunderstood that, then. If Gnab's right, I'd have to say, I thought that was snark, too---and I envy your position of never knowing that film video ever was. To be fair, though: I haven't watched any Avatar stuff (not even the `smurfs' crossover episode). I'm just not a big fan---with a few exceptions, that I shake my fist at, of course---of long series.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, 5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2454 on: 16 Dec 2020, 20:16 »

I just watched The Pirates! today and wow, that was fantastic! Its made by Aardman studios (Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep, Early Man) and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I assumed it was just about misfit pirates when I saw the trailer way back when, and it is, but the writing, animation, and voice work was phenomenal! Its well cast with Hugh Grant, Martin Freedman, David Tennant, and Imelda Staunton. No spoilers but its about "Pirate Captain" and he wants to win the 1837 Pirate of the Year award, but when filling out the entrance form he realizes he hasn't done anything noteworthy to win it. So he takes his crew and they go a-pirating.  After a bit of bad luck they run into a historical figure that steers their adventure to London, which has a deadly anti-pirate policy.

I honestly don't know what else I can say about it without spoiling the movie, but it made twists and turns that I didn't expect and it was enjoyable all the way through. Its available on Netflix and worth the watch if you want to have a nice laugh.

edit: I forgot to mention, I lost my shit at a scene where they play a Flight of the Concords song. I was not expecting that at all and it was perfect.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2020, 23:20 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2455 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:30 »

I'm honestly surprised how good Pirates was after being so disappointed in Flushed Away, and it also has my favorite gif of all time

Gyrre

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2456 on: 25 Dec 2020, 19:02 »

The live-action Gin Tama.
Now I know what it feels like to speedrun an entire season of an anime in 2 hours and 20-ish minutes.

It's weird.

Especially when they keep in a good chunk of the gags. Makes the comedic timing feel off. That said, the sheer number of references to other anime and manga is astouding and probably pretty ballsy during the manga's initial run. Granted, it's mostly stuff from Shonen Jump, but the Ghibli one threw me for a loop.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #2457 on: 25 Dec 2020, 19:11 »

I'm honestly surprised how good Pirates was after being so disappointed in Flushed Away, and it also has my favorite gif of all time

That one along with;  "windspeed" "Well yes, but actually no."

a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2458 on: 25 Dec 2020, 20:45 »

The live-action Gin Tama.
Now I know what it feels like to speedrun an entire season of an anime in 2 hours and 20-ish minutes.

It's weird.

Especially when they keep in a good chunk of the gags. Makes the comedic timing feel off. That said, the sheer number of references to other anime and manga is astouding and probably pretty ballsy during the manga's initial run. Granted, it's mostly stuff from Shonen Jump, but the Ghibli one threw me for a loop.

That was me watching the live action Assassination Classroom movie.

Today I watched:
-The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special: Not bad, but the voices were so close but not quite that it threw me off the entire time
-Black Christmas: Surprising in how many things horror movies took from this one
-Jingle Jangle: A nice holiday musical film that has a mostly black cast, though it does go on a little too long
-Wonder Woman 84: Not as bad as some people say, though I did like the first one better

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2459 on: 26 Dec 2020, 08:00 »

If you're a fan or Aardman animations, and have netflix, give Farmageddon a try. The premise is simple, an Alien lands outside of town and befriends Shaun and Co (from the Shaun the Sheep series*) but is then being hunted by the MiB. While Shaun tries to help the alien, the Farmer recruits the others to help open up an amusement park/alien-con to capitalize on the recent UFO craze sweeping up the town and tourists visiting.

Its a Shaun the Sheep movie, so just a heads up, there is no real dialogue. But that's part of its charm and creativity, telling a story in visuals and gibberish.  It has nice easter eggs of other sci-fi and paranormal/ufo stuff that don't feel out of place or over done (imho). I am sure the farmer's costume is suppose to be a nod to Star Trek, but it looks so much like Zapp Brannigan's outfit that I can't help but feel like its the true inspiration for the get up.

*Shaun the Sheep is a spin off from a Wallace and Gromit movie. Seasons 1-5 are on Amazon Prime for free as well as the Llama special, but the first movie (Shaun the Sheep the Movie) is not free but we recently bought it and thought it was great! Season 6 is on Netflix and Farmageddon is the sequel movie. Every episode of Shaun the Sheep, movie, and special are stand alone and don't really require you to have seen any of the others to get it.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2460 on: 27 Dec 2020, 07:46 »

There have been a handful of animated sequels that I think have actually surpassed their predecessors, I don't think this one quite did that, but it is a pretty jaw-dropping movie.
I'd say that it did, and that it's not even close. Frozen is good, Frozen 2 is considerably better in every way.

Saw Soul the other day, and holy shit was it good. Wonder Woman 1984 was a lot of fun, which for the DCCU is saying a lot. Probably my second favorite after Shazam.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2461 on: 27 Dec 2020, 16:37 »

I just saw Frozen 2, and I have to say, I like the first one better.

It was "ok" at best until

(click to show/hide)

After that it got exponentially better. I think, for me anyways, its because up to that point it seemed to only have a cool mystery.  The songs, jokes, and some of the other scenes seemed to try to rehash moments from the previous film, until we get to the spoiler. After the spoiler part, the movie really came into its own. I just wished the first part leading up to it "went for it" the way the spoiler and events afterward did. I usually don't give #/10 scores but I felt like this one was a 7.5/10. It was good. Better than okay, but not great nor amazing. The first film, on the other hand, blew me away and was deserving of a 9 or 10.

Gyrre

« Reply #2462 on: 28 Dec 2020, 09:14 »

(click to show/hide)

After that it got exponentially better. I think, for me anyways, its because up to that point it seemed to only have a cool mystery.  The songs, jokes, and some of the other scenes seemed to try to rehash moments from the previous film, until we get to the spoiler. After the spoiler part, the movie really came into its own. I just wished the first part leading up to it "went for it" the way the spoiler and events afterward did. I usually don't give #/10 scores but I felt like this one was a 7.5/10. It was good. Better than okay, but not great nor amazing. The first film, on the other hand, blew me away and was deserving of a 9 or 10.

I hate it when sequels feel they need to rehash things from the previous movie. Especially when it's entire plot points or subplots  that don't make sense to be rehashed.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• The German Chancellory building
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2463 on: 28 Dec 2020, 11:24 »

I finally watched 'The Rise of Skywalker'.

Well.

I understand the lacklustre reviews now.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2464 on: 08 Jan 2021, 15:52 »

We have established a Thursday night movie night to work through DVDs we have that we don't know if we want to keep, so we're watching them and then deciding. Last night was Dan In Real Life, which is... going to the charity shop.

Not really a bad movie. Not really a good movie. A painfully indie movie, I'll tell you that - everything you think of when you think of this kind of movie is here. Improv stuff done by the actors. Bigger names than you expect. Straightforward direction. A main character who is a lovable prick. Slightly weirdly written, and enormously cliched in places. A decent movie that desperately, desperately wants to be a great one.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2465 on: 09 Jan 2021, 20:24 »

(click to show/hide)

I finally watched it too and I felt disappointed, almost like they didn't need this sequel at all. On the other hand I watched Toy Story 4 and absolutely loved it. It felt like it had everything that Frozen 2 was missing.

Gyrre

« Reply #2466 on: 16 Jan 2021, 05:31 »

"I've got Mother, two ex-wives, and several bartenders who depend on me!"

If you haven't seen North by Northwest it's worth a watch just for how snarky Mr. Thornhill is.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Castlerook

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #2467 on: 16 Jan 2021, 07:11 »

I picked up the Deep Blue Sea trilogy just before my birthday. In a pique of lockdown frustration, I ended up watching all three yesterday. These aren't particularly deep (heh) films, so I'm not going to say too much about them.

Deep Blue Sea, still not a bad film after 20+ years. CGI still largely holds up today.
Deep Blue Sea 2 - despite being made in 2018, the sharks look worse. Plot is essentially the same, almost making it a remake, "Oh we're making a new drug. Lets genetically enhance sharks to make them smarter!" Definitely the worst of the 3.
Deep Blue Sea 3 - Not a bad film, but that's not really saying much considering how low a bar the second film set. Tries to be a little different, both in terms of location and general problem, which helps it stand apart from the previous films. Still not as good as the first one.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #2468 on: 17 Jan 2021, 02:40 »

'The perfect omelette is made with two eggs, not three. Some people use milk to add bulk, this is a mistake.'

Gyrre

« Reply #2469 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42 »

I picked up the Deep Blue Sea trilogy just before my birthday. In a pique of lockdown frustration, I ended up watching all three yesterday. These aren't particularly deep (heh) films, so I'm not going to say too much about them.

Deep Blue Sea, still not a bad film after 20+ years. CGI still largely holds up today.
Deep Blue Sea 2 - despite being made in 2018, the sharks look worse. Plot is essentially the same, almost making it a remake, "Oh we're making a new drug. Lets genetically enhance sharks to make them smarter!" Definitely the worst of the 3.
Deep Blue Sea 3 - Not a bad film, but that's not really saying much considering how low a bar the second film set. Tries to be a little different, both in terms of location and general problem, which helps it stand apart from the previous films. Still not as good as the first one.

.........why did they make sequels, let alone 2?

EDIT: They could have tried to adapt Larry Niven and Steve Barnes Saturn's Race if they wanted to do something interesting with genetically enhanced sharks.
They'd absolutely have to keep in the bit where one of the sharks is asked the meaning of life, stops swimming, and answers "Keep moving. Otherwise you sink."
[May have botched the quote, it's been years since I read the book.]
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2021, 02:47 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #2470 on: 18 Jan 2021, 11:39 »

This week's Thursday movie night we got half an hour into Age of Innocence before getting annoyed with it and giving up.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2471 on: 19 Jan 2021, 18:22 »

I watched 3 moves over the weekend:
-Royal Tannenbaums: I'm a fan of Wes Andersons and this movie doesn't disappoint in that department. All that's left for me is his newest one, Rushmore, and Bottle Rocket
-The Dead Don't Die: A weird zombie movie from Jim Jarmush, not the best but fun
-Guns Akimbo: Crazy as hell and a lot of fun

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2472 on: 19 Jan 2021, 20:53 »

This week's Thursday movie night we got half an hour into Age of Innocence before getting annoyed with it and giving up.

I've not seen it but I heard Winona Ryder was "insufferable" in it.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]   Go Up