THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 04:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

You guessed it: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Jim needs a favor... could Samantha stay here for a couple hours...
- 0 (0%)
"I'm old enough to stay at home by myself!" NEXT YEAR
- 0 (0%)
"We can keep an eye on her."
- 0 (0%)
"So, little larva..." I'm not a larva! "...Wanna learn how to use a BLOWTORCH?" YES
- 6 (13.3%)
Brazing... "You mean like when my dad makes pot roast?" Different process.
- 0 (0%)
Lemme show you what I made! (Doesn't involve animal genitalia)
- 0 (0%)
BEHOLD THE MIGHTY WAR LADLE (I'd wanna see the Attenborough documentary)
- 11 (24.4%)
"...And that's how you pull a shot." That was easy!
- 0 (0%)
And here I thought you hated kids. Normally, yes. But this one has potential.
- 0 (0%)
I'll mold you in my image. "You mean, like, big boobs?"
- 5 (11.1%)
Keep the blade at the same angle or you'll mess up the edge bevel.
- 0 (0%)
You went on a date with my dad, right? "...But we decided to just be friends."
- 0 (0%)
Dad's not with mom anymore, he can go on dates if he wants to. He's on one right now.
- 0 (0%)
"He didn't want me to tell you that, but if you're friends it's okay, right?" ABSOLUTELY
- 6 (13.3%)
Hey kiddo. Did you have fun while I was gone?
- 0 (0%)
Faye taught me how to use a blowtorch, and make expresso, and sharpen knives, and -
- 3 (6.7%)
Of all the irresponsible-
- 2 (4.4%)
She also taught me how to make an "old fashioned." (Sip)
- 0 (0%)
So, I usually pay my siter ten bucks an hour - (Fifteen.) Deal. Take a check?
- 12 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2176-2180 (30 April - 4 May 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 55702 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Later on she said "that toaster was out to get me." Then Marten's can opener served her up a heapin' helpin' of Karma.

Or so she said, in both cases. We never actually saw any of that happen, did we?
 :psyduck:
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yeah, the only source we have for the "Faye's apartment burned down" bit is Faye. Specifically, the old Faye who may or may not have invented the story entire. Tough she was friends with, and employed by, Dora before either of them met Marten, so she must have been staying somewhere.

Also, is it possible her toaster truly did have it in for her? We have seen APC toasters after all… though I can't see one effectively committing suicide for the chance to get even.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

It could have somehow transferred its consciousness somewhere else right before the flames engulfed the kitchen. Maybe.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Into Pintsize, perhaps.

(Frakkin' toasters)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

But sentient toasters LOVE making toast. That is why they chose to be toasters. Maybe it loved toasting so much it didn't want to stop.

Although, I doubt Faye could have afforded a AI toaster even if she had wanted one, which is unlikely.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

GerPronouncedGrr

• Not quite a lurker

Besides, as a plot device I think this Faye/Sam thing is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I completely agree. There's this really great thing that happens when a young adult goes from being the student to being the mentor, and I think Faye is ripe for that. I think she needs somewhere to direct all her creative energy and pent up affection, in a non-romantic way. Basically, she would make a really good big sister!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She should be quite compatible with a creative tomboy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Re:  Faye's cooking. 

If you butter the bread before toasting, there will be a grease fire.  The intelligence of the toaster matters not. 

This has been confirmed empirically by a younger brother.  Do NOT try this at home!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Also, it's not like Faye has been established as nightmarishly incompetent around kitchen appliances either; she (admittedly infrequently) bakes everything from cookies to pies and that requires enthusiasm and skill to do from scratch, and hasn't burned down their shared apartment even once so far. She's even got Hanners in on the act as well.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Also, it's not like Faye has been established as nightmarishly incompetent around kitchen appliances either; she (admittedly infrequently) bakes everything from cookies to pies and that requires enthusiasm and skill to do from scratch, and hasn't burned down their shared apartment even once so far. She's even got Hanners in on the act as well.

This is a good point. I hereby retract my assessment of her relationship with kitchen appliances.

I still stand by the opinion that Sam with a blowtorch is a seriously risky proposal.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I had completely forgotten about Jim and his Larva.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I still stand by the opinion that Sam with a blowtorch is a seriously risky proposal.

ANYONE with a blowtorch is risky proposal.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Fair enough, but a spastic 13 year old (and this one in particular) in a back alley especially so.
@syleegrrl

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

She said it was because she is bad at making toast. I took this to be a comment on her being a kitchen hazard in general.
Faye also managed to cut herself badly enough to require a visit to the ER while opening a can of tomatoes, which is pretty inept.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

And there is this admission in the final panel. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=212
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Those freshly cut metal surfaces are sharp. All she would have had to do would have been to trip over something or reach past the can without looking.

For a comparison, check out the vocabulary and the fingers of sheet metal workers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I don't blame her for the can, those things are dangerous. That's why you should always use one of those nice tin openers that don't leave sharp edges. They also have the advantage of not letting the lid fall down into the can and the lid is replaceable.  http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/20080-rosle-can-opener.aspx
@syleegrrl

TheNameWithNoNumbers

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

So, me being new here, please forgive me for some descrepencies (if there is any) in my post.
[Insert PBS Thank-You here]

Faye is usually sarcastic, and Dora will be protective, so no blowtorch action for us. ;n;
But all recklessness blowtorching crap aside, Faye can be clumsy. She's like the rest of us- adept, but we make mistakes.
Burned toast, toaster and home are one of these mistakes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

It would be mean to get Sam's hopes up and then not let her use a blowtorch.

Faye must have some mechanical dexterity in order to have majored in art. So you've got a sound point that events such as the toaster fire should be viewed as isolated accidents rather than a pattern of ineptitude.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Is that ladle big enough to hold Froglord ?

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication

If there IS an animal with a giant ladle for a dong, it'd bring a new meaning (and intentional misspellings) to "too many cooks spoil the soup."

PS: Too many ladle cocks spoil the soup vag.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Do you actually say "...spoil the soup"?  I've only ever heard "...spoil the broth".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication

I'm from Georgia, so it's entirely possible we speak a different dialect down here.

Change broth to bros-th, and it's bishi!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

And The Arsenal of Doom grows

Soon they will be able to instigate their plan and TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Gravity seems to have shifted its direction by about 5 degrees in today's comic.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Gravity seems to have shifted its direction by about 5 degrees in today's comic.

As long as people don't start falling sideways...

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

I'm not usually a sucker for a corny battlecry and a war pose, but something about seeing a young girl wielding a ladle like that and hearing the line in my head clicked for me.

Also, someone needs to do some kind of chef cookoff/battle royale and put it on the air. Yesterday.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

:psyduck: I can't unsee the frog lips in panel 3. Thanks rodtorfelsonsarmada.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Brazing and pot roast?  Unless there are some cooking terms that I don't know about, I can see how Sam 'learned' to set the stove on fire.  Using an acetylene torch and a copper pipe will add a delightful metallic flavor to the pot roast, but be careful as too much can set the kitchen on fire, and result in burning the pot roast to a crisp.  To prevent this from happening, keep a fire extinguisher on hand as Sam has demonstrated.  When finished, serve with a ladle that is large enough to be mistaken for elephant genitals.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Now I can't get that stupid "Aiken Drum" song out of my head...

Brazing and pot roast?  Unless there are some cooking terms that I don't know about, I can see how Sam 'learned' to set the stove on fire.
Braising is a perfectly respectable cooking term, but brazing is a different thing as Faye points out. Fun with homonyms!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

:psyduck: I can't unsee the frog lips in panel 3. Thanks rodtorfelsonsarmada.

Kind of agree here. I'm not too much of a fan on the lowers lips.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Ha, I like the touches (conscious or unconscious) about the characters: that is, given half the chance, a 13-year-old boy would probably create some kind of genitalia. That's not the go-to response for a 13-year-old girl.  And while Faye had a little sister, Dora was the little sister to Sven. 

[/over-analyzing]

SQUEEZE BOX

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Now I can't get that stupid "Aiken Drum" song out of my head...

Brazing and pot roast?  Unless there are some cooking terms that I don't know about, I can see how Sam 'learned' to set the stove on fire.
Braising is a perfectly respectable cooking term, but brazing is a different thing as Faye points out. Fun with homonyms!

Aren't those homophones though?

Milesb

Am I the only person who suspects Dora is going to flip her lid before the end of the week?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Am I the only person who wonders if the ladle came from cannibalizing bonercat?

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Re: toaster fires: I have a friend who accidentally set fire to his parents' kitchen with a toaster last year. Something about dodgy electrics.

"Bread went in. Fire came out" was his comment.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You get the feeling that, after discovering the sword behind the counter, Faye decided to move on to creating the Malaysian Battle Spoon, the Frying Pan of Doom, and other assorted warrior kitchenware in her metalworking?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Am I the only person who wonders if the ladle came from cannibalizing bonercat?

Not anymore, you're not.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You get the feeling that, after discovering the sword behind the counter, Faye decided to move on to creating the Malaysian Battle Spoon, the Frying Pan of Doom, and other assorted warrior kitchenware in her metalworking?

She's going for the complete Combat Serving Set.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Aren't those homophones though?
Gah! Yes, my bad!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Plant genitalia, on the other hand...

(Let's just say I can definitely think of some flowers, though not quite on that scale.)

GerPronouncedGrr

• Not quite a lurker

Next up, armour. I vote for an Apron of Douche Repelling.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Didn't realize I hadn't posted yet, I was wondering why it wasn't showing up. Anyway, I'm shocked Dora let Faye go through with it, but it seemed to work out, I guess.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So far...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Next up, armour. I vote for an Apron of Douche Repelling.

Faye hates aprons, and if she won't wear one for welding ...
GAU-9B Rotary Espresso Cannon.
(Oh, you want a double shot in the dark, do you?)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Seems to me that two things are going to happen, based on the week's comics so far;

- Sam's gonna have a great time, and will want to make CoD her second after-school hangout, and Faye her new best friend

- Dora's going to get extra gray hairs from the experience. Hope she's got extra black dye...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

You forgot:

- Marten will come in, see Sam, be reminded of Padma, and do something incredibly rash and stupid.

wait no that doesn't sound like marten at all, I mean he will mope about a bit and do nothing.

Blood-Tree

• Must have tree blood!!!

Seems to me that two things are going to happen, based on the week's comics so far;

- Sam's gonna have a great time, and will want to make CoD her second after-school hangout, and Faye her new best friend

- Dora's going to get extra gray hairs from the experience. Hope she's got extra black dye...

Hmmm...

Wasn't there a strip a little while ago about Dora officially have certified control issues?

I predict that the immovable object of Sam's uncontrollability collides with the unstoppable force of Dora's controlling nature, in such a way as to create a life-changing moment of self-realisation for one, both, or neither of the two aforementioned characters.

(maybe)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I predict that the immovable object of Sam's uncontrollability collides with the unstoppable force of Dora's controlling nature, in such a way as to create a life-changing moment of self-realisation for one, both, or neither of the two aforementioned characters.

(maybe)
Would you care to provide probabilities? We can deal with probabilities. We've done it before.

(well, I ignored them)

Blood-Tree

• Must have tree blood!!!

Would you care to provide probabilities? We can deal with probabilities. We've done it before.

(well, I ignored them)

In my opinion, there's a 100% chance that something involving Dora and Faye will happen at some point in the future.

To the Max!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up