THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what SHOULD Pintsize do?

Do something outside, regardless of whether or not it would get him arrested.
- 2 (5%)
Take up painting.
- 0 (0%)
Robot Yoga.
- 0 (0%)
Bible Study.
- 1 (2.5%)
Work on being a better companion to Marten.
- 2 (5%)
Go with what you know - small-scale mayhem.
- 10 (25%)
Ponder the meaning of life, the universe - everything.
- 2 (5%)
Forget that and go back to wallpapering the bathroom with macro-anuses.
- 1 (2.5%)
Visit the AnthroPC zoo (aka the kitchen appliances).
- 0 (0%)
Two words: cake mix.
- 5 (12.5%)
MOAR TAI-DORA!
- 7 (17.5%)
Waffles.
- 0 (0%)
Spathe Ham.
- 0 (0%)
Just be you, Pintsize. Just be you.
- 10 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2251-2255 (13-17 August 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 50020 times)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Man, I hope Faye and Angus don't break up. He's been really good for her.

willpell

• Plantmonster

Today's strip makes me wonder if Jeph intentionally picked the name Angus because it was one letter away from Anus.  It would seem to at least semi-fit the personality which he had prior to our learning his name (we of course don't know whether Jeph had named him when he first appeared).
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Angus has the butt fetish.   :psyduck:  Careful, Faye.  He could asking for the butt in the future. :-P

I'm surprised Pintsize doesn't have a projector set up flashing this song "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU" while people do their business.

And.....

I place my bet on Dora/Tai on comic 2800ish.

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

Which will be three days from now in QC World.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Which will be three days from now in QC World.

Gonna go out like a supernova baby! 3 days? Eh, depends.  If Jeph decides on a new space-esque in length arc, could be longer.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2012, 08:13 by Madmartigan »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

You know that we call the author of this comic by his name: Jeph - please remember to get it right.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

You should know by now that we call the author of this comic by his name: Jeph.

Hey man. Sleeping 10 hours makes your brain fuzzy.  First typo of his name I've ever done.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Fair enough; you'll see that I changed my wording after I checked and realised that (and before I saw your reply).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Do something outside, regardless of whether or not it would get him arrested.    1 (3.1%)
Take up painting.    0 (0%)
Robot Yoga.    0 (0%)
Bible Study.    1 (3.1%)
Work on being a better companion to Marten.    2 (6.3%)
Go with what you know - small-scale mayhem.    9 (28.1%)
Ponder the meaning of life, the universe - everything.    1 (3.1%)
Forget that and go back to wallpapering the bathroom with macro-anuses.    1 (3.1%)
Visit the AnthroPC zoo (aka the kitchen appliances).    0 (0%)
Two words: cake mix.    4 (12.5%)
MOAR TAI-DORA!    6 (18.8%)
Waffles.    0 (0%)
Spathe Ham.    0 (0%)
Just be you, Pintsize. Just be you.    7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

---

Heads up to y'all: another work weekend, tied with the joys of getting another computer set up and running, may mean I won't be around Sunday AM to start up a new WCDT.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!

Man, I hope Faye and Angus don't break up. He's been really good for her.

How can you tell? We haven't seen him in 137 strips. I was beginning to hope that Jeph had put him on a bus, then this strip showed up.

And I'll spare everyone my rants about Angus; they are almost as boring as he is.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It suggests a non-boring question, though. What kind of person do you imagine being best for The Pugnacious Peach? It would have to be a new character.

Educated, assertive, quick-witted, compassionate come to mind as desiderata. There's too much history for Sven 2.0 to be an option.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Educated, assertive, quick-witted, compassionate come to mind as desiderata.

Too bad there isn't anyone in the strip already with any of these qualities.  :roll:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well, there is one character who is extensively self-educated and quick-witted, certainly assertive and occasionally capable of demonstrating compassion.

Pintsize and the Peach. OTP.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Is there anyone here that doesn't detest at least one of the characters? Just curious.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Educated, assertive, quick-witted, compassionate come to mind as desiderata. There's too much history for Sven 2.0 to be an option.

Angus isn't those things?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Is there anyone here that doesn't detest at least one of the characters? Just curious.

Won't speak for anyone else, but I try not to get the BP too elevated about people who don't exist.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage

Won't speak for anyone else, but I try not to get the BP too elevated about people who don't exist.

I strongly suspect that no-one here does - rather, their BP gets elevated about someone who does exist. of whom some QC character reminds them. Hence the QC character becomes their metaphorical punching bag.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I strongly suspect that no-one here does - rather, their BP gets elevated about someone who does exist. of whom some QC character reminds them. Hence the QC character becomes their metaphorical punching bag.

Point. I do recall one such poster whose expressed hatred of Faye was truly astounding -- and it turned out, after other posters engaged her in conversation, Faye was pretty much a stand-in for a person who had done her a grievous wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

Come to think of it, Pintsize has made more than one advance toward The Pugnacious Peach. I will now try to forget the idea. Purple elephants purple elephants purple elephants.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Welcome to the QC forums, where we nurse thousand-year grudges against fictional constructions. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the only reason anyone actually hates Angus, it seems, is they were one of the people who were sure Marten and Faye were going to fuck, that she owed him a fuck, and were absolutely flabbergasted when Jeph basically went "Never happening."

Or he's supposedly 'boring', which I'm like, dude freestyles a Trojan War riff of Single Ladies and loves 'Africa'. You are wrong, bunnyThor. (No hostility, but you are.)

That's my take, anyhow.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference

What if they remind us of someone who doesn't exist? My Tai-dislike largely stems from her being just a Hawaiian shirt, '50s lingo and a Comic Exaggeration boost away from becoming Quagmire.

But that's just me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Giggidy?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

It's all relative in the hatred, people get worked up over the silliest of things, THAT said, people do tend to stick hatred for things that don't truly exist but are similar to a real life person they have a grudge as a way to cope with hating a real person..

That said, If anyone goes out of their way to compare people they know to comic book characters they'll be able to do it eventually, doesn't make it true though.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I'm pretty neutral toward the QC cast, overall. I mean, my biggest pet peeve is combining ignorance and arrogance (read: being a f***tard (you know what I mean, I hope), a troll, or a politician), and none of the cast has displayed those qualities.

That's not to say there haven't been moments that haven't left me with a sense of "Why would you do that?" but that's also true in real life, anyway.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Tova

• coprophage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

Come to think of it, Pintsize has made more than one advance toward The Pugnacious Peach. I will now try to forget the idea. Purple elephants purple elephants purple elephants.

... boners? (:

What if they remind us of someone who doesn't exist? My Tai-dislike largely stems from her being just a Hawaiian shirt, '50s lingo and a Comic Exaggeration boost away from becoming Quagmire.

I'm kinda glad you brought that up, because that is a different type of dislike... the one I was referring to is where you're 'immersed' in the character and dislike them... the other is when you dislike the characterisation, because it does not seem real to you at all, and you can't relate. I've seen that as well. I haven't felt it myself, but I can comprehend it more readily.

I'm pretty neutral toward the QC cast, overall. I mean, my biggest pet peeve is combining ignorance and arrogance (read: being a f***tard (you know what I mean, I hope), a troll, or a politician), and none of the cast has displayed those qualities.

I do know what you mean - that's pretty much how I feel as well.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference

I'm kinda glad you brought that up, because that is a different type of dislike... the one I was referring to is where you're 'immersed' in the character and dislike them... the other is when you dislike the characterisation, because it does not seem real to you at all, and you can't relate. I've seen that as well. I haven't felt it myself, but I can comprehend it more readily.

Fair point - her mild hovering over a couple I could buy from a background character, then she 'made the opening credits' and I didn't care for her. Especially the "forcing the matter again while she was drunk still didn't get me laid.. better put her on the spot, to hell with her unresolved issues." strips. I just got the feeling a hair-doll would have come into play if that didn't work - again, maybe that's just me.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

DINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winnah!
Just another Joe like 46

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier

Welcome to the QC forums, where we nurse thousand-year grudges against fictional constructions. :emotrex:

Seriously though, the only reason anyone actually hates Angus, it seems, is they were one of the people who were sure Marten and Faye were going to fuck, that she owed him a fuck, and were absolutely flabbergasted when Jeph basically went "Never happening."

Or he's supposedly 'boring', which I'm like, dude freestyles a Trojan War riff of Single Ladies and loves 'Africa'. You are wrong, bunnyThor. (No hostility, but you are.)

That's my take, anyhow.

If Angus isn't boring, then where's he been for the last 296 strips? I posit that the surest indicator of which characters are interesting are which characters Jeph is inspired to write about in a featured role.  Other characters, for the most part, only show up as a prop for the main characters to react to or to witness the main characters' actions.

So who is currently interesting? Marten, Faye, Dora, Tai, Hanners, Momo, Marigold, and Pintsize.

Who isn't currently interesting? Steve, Cosette, Penelope, Wil, Raven, Jimbo, Amir, Angus, and (sadly) Sven.

And as to the specifics, almost any one of the characters is or has been a vehicle for witty/snarky/obscure riffs. Those are the kind of characters Jeph writes.

And preferring "Africa" to any of Toto's other songs is so obvious, it makes him less interesting. First of all 99% of all 20-somethings--if they are aware of the music of Toto at all--are only going to know the Top 10 hits: "Hold The Line", "Rosanna", "Africa", and "I Won't Hold You Back". Out of all of those, "Africa" was by far their biggest hit, and is their song that has best stood the test of time. Hell, "Africa" is my favorite Toto song, and I grew up during the time that their songs were actually new. If you go to the iTunes store, you can see that "Africa" is the #1 download (as well as #4, #6, and #9). "Africa" is really the only possible answer that you could give to the question, unless you are a music geek like Marten, or a soft rock hater like Dora.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Who isn't currently interesting? [...] (sadly) Sven.

Why "sadly"?  If he's not interesting, then you should be glad he's not taking up your time, and if he is interesting then your logic collapses.

There are too many characters to keep in the limelight all at once, and so Jeph's attention wanders where his mood and the story-lines take him; that is not necessarily any judgement on the characters, and in fact Jeph has fairly recently said (if I recall correctly) that it is not impossible for any character to appear again, except one (presumably Sara).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I thought he had written off Padma as well? (Though not to death by allosaurus, though)
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well she's out west for now, we don't know what the future will bring.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

/raises hand

Personally, I like all of the characters, to a degree. They have interesting neuroses or satisfying character development or a nice design. Something that makes them interesting. I focus more on that than on their inevitable slip-ups.

Also might help that I'm not one for grudges irl, but meh.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Tova

• coprophage

And preferring "Africa" to any of Toto's other songs is so obvious, it makes him less interesting.

Wait... are you saying that he's not hipsterish enough for you?

(yes I'm being slightly mischevious, but only slightly)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'll say now what I did then..."Africa" is the only Toto song I know.  I mean, sure, I know of a couple others, but "Africa" is the only one I can actually think of and hear in my head without external sources.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

And preferring "Africa" to any of Toto's other songs is so obvious, it makes him less interesting.

Hipster trap sprung
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I didn't even know it by its name "Africa" until Angus brought it up.
And I'm thankful to Pintsize for letting me discover "Hold the Line".

Yeah, so I didn't get into music properly until a few years ago. I'm sorry. :(

Edit: Could somebody please clarify for me what emotion  :mrgreen: is suppose to convey? I mean, it's the dinosaur from Qwantz, right? What else?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Written out permanently:
Quote from: Jeph
Sarah, Ellen, Nat, any chance at happiness for Marten
http://jephjacques.com/post/11265563239/qa-dump-09
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Knowing Pintsize it's probably animals anyway.
Nope (yes, I answered with a link to the previous comic, so what?)
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

I don't sincerely hate any of the characters. But Tai has always rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason, and the way Faye has treated her friends in the past sometimes bothers me. Nobody really reminds me of anyone I know, except I totally saw this dude who looked like Angus every time I went to a particular class. He was always sitting on a bench and either reading or chatting. So, no, I don't have any emotions toward the characters because of people I know, so I also don't have any preferences that are due to people I like, either. Oh, and Marigold's old self bothered me some because she represented what people think people like me are like. She's gotten much more pleasant  since then.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Could somebody please clarify for me what emotion  :mrgreen: is suppose to convey? I mean, it's the dinosaur from Qwantz, right? What else?

We just like it.  Don't you ever feel like a snarky dinosaur?

I used it for the admin status because I am a dinosaur.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Do something outside, regardless of whether or not it would get him arrested.    2 (5.1%)
Take up painting.    0 (0%)
Robot Yoga.    0 (0%)
Bible Study.    1 (2.6%)
Work on being a better companion to Marten.    2 (5.1%)
Go with what you know - small-scale mayhem.    10 (25.6%)
Ponder the meaning of life, the universe - everything.    2 (5.1%)
Forget that and go back to wallpapering the bathroom with macro-anuses.    1 (2.6%)
Visit the AnthroPC zoo (aka the kitchen appliances).    0 (0%)
Two words: cake mix.    5 (12.8%)
MOAR TAI-DORA!    7 (17.9%)
Waffles.    0 (0%)
Spathe Ham.    0 (0%)
Just be you, Pintsize. Just be you.    9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Written out permanently:
Quote from: Jeph
Sarah, Ellen, Nat, any chance at happiness for Marten
http://jephjacques.com/post/11265563239/qa-dump-09
Until they're not. I'm not saying Jeph will (or should) change his mind, I'm saying he might. Also, the possibility that he'll change his mind is what keeps that from being a spoiler.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

And before this wraps up, a photo today from Fark:

I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Orrrr... Jeph just left out the little "Moments Later" caption.
Yeah, seeing as how we should all have pretty good idea by now of how long "taking care of business" takes.

By the way, I suggest you don't do a Google image search on anus. Spoiled my dreams? Wrecked 'em.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier

No, I'm saying that in that regard, he is typical. Being typical makes one less interesting. Being atypical makes one more interesting. Not that being interesting is always a good thing. "May you live in Interesting Times.")

Who isn't currently interesting? [...] (sadly) Sven.

Why "sadly"?  If he's not interesting, then you should be glad he's not taking up your time, and if he is interesting then your logic collapses.

"Sadly" because he used to be interesting. In fact, he was very interesting. But right now he's not interesting, and that's a damn shame. He used to spark, and now he just broods. Pity.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

He's retreating to build up to doing something new.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up