Never been with a guy? (Always knew)
- 0 (0%)
Parents were always super supportive
- 0 (0%)
Just a phase, like baggy pants.
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or girl, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 8 (20%)
It's weird when you catch your father checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
Oh, I'd seriously doubt you'd have to worry about it.
- 1 (2.5%)
...he only goes for tall women! WELL MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS
- 6 (15%)
Let's go to Harrell's for desert!
- 0 (0%)
Last time I went there on a date I totally freaked out and realized I shouldn't have been dating anyone at the time.
- 1 (2.5%)
I hope it's not cursed! Haha!
- 0 (0%)
BUBBLE TEA LET'S GET BUBBLE TEA INSTEAD
- 5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2256-60 (20-24 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 63328 times)

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

Bianchis have a problem with their feet being drawn to their mouths on dates, don't they?

Archive crawling, whoo!!!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Bianchi pere is not known for his subtlety.

And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

The waiter doesn't seem realistic to me.  Shouldn't he have both plates on a single tray?  Even if he set the tray down on a nearby table, why is he making two trips between the customers and they tray?

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

Aww, the sad/hurt tai face is quite nice, also like the angry eating panel
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

So there is a lasting change in Dora from her relationship with Marten: she's learned his ability to make verbal blunders.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Engage brain before putting mouth into gear, Dora...

The waiter doesn't seem realistic to me.  Shouldn't he have both plates on a single tray?  Even if he set the tray down on a nearby table, why is he making two trips between the customers and they tray?

Tackling the big issues!

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Tai. Buddy. Guy. Fwiend. You don't have very much to reveal to a heterosexual man. You used to be proud that you could pass as a boy with no effort.

Though that does raise an interesting question; if you were bisexual would you prefer to date men who look very masculine and women who look very feminine, or go for more androgynous people so you meet somewhere in the middle, or just run the gamut? If you are bisexual, feel free to chime in as well! These are the questions science wants to know! I tend to prefer extremes so I'd probably go with the first.

Answer for most I would say is, it varies for person to person.

~ ~

I had to reread Dora's line to get the full, "Buh?" of it. I took it more as Dora saying Tai wouldn't need to worry about meeting her parents but the other option is very there. Tai's angry eating is a great expression. Plus her face in 3B reminds me of the third panel of this, we need more characters making that expression.

JonathanXS

• Not quite a lurker

Shouldn't he have both plates on a single tray?

I would imagine he has a folding table off-panel to hold the single tray.

Even if he set the tray down on a nearby table, why is he making two trips between the customers and they tray?

Have you ever dropped one of those things before? You'll be carefully carrying trays with both hands for at least a week.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Tai's face in Panel 3b is classic
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference

Dora....

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer

erm?
what for? 

i mean... he got second plate before Dora finished her second sentence.  He is seriously fast.  Probably can screw around by delivering one plate at a time, flash stepping from table to table.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Bianchi pere is not known for his subtlety.

And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

No, no it does not. Oh, Dora. Stop talking about your dad! His bad karma is killing your mojo! D:

Tai's penultimate panel face is ridiculously cute though.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Oh, geez, Dora. Really?

I'm about Tai's shape (though I do have a bubble butt and am average height), so that's something that would honestly hurt my feelings enough that I would think about reconsidering the relationship. Like, "You don't consider me desirable enough for your pervert dad? If you don't think I'm good enough for the dirty old man to stare at, then you obviously don't think much of my figure." She's treating Tai like she's not attracted to her. And that does not bode well. At all.

It's hard for me to tell how much of Tai's reaction in the last panel is just for laughs/cuteness. I'm curious to see what they'll add to that in the next one.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Tova

• coprophage

Like, "You don't consider me desirable enough for your pervert dad? If you don't think I'm good enough for the dirty old man to stare at, then you obviously don't think much of my figure."

Not that I blame Tai for reacting badly, but this does not actually logically follow. It is very likely that Dora knows that her father's "taste" differs considerably from hers.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Oh wow! I never knew Dora could fit her entire foot in there! °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Tai's eyes indicates serious drug intake. No, seriously, the iris and pupil are completely different sizes.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Potentially, although we can't be sure that's not just Jeph's cartoony way of portraying eye-twitching.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Oh wow! I never knew Dora could fit her entire foot in there! °O
Foot? All the way to the knee I think.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Like, "You don't consider me desirable enough for your pervert dad? If you don't think I'm good enough for the dirty old man to stare at, then you obviously don't think much of my figure."

Not that I blame Tai for reacting badly, but this does not actually logically follow. It is very likely that Dora knows that her father's "taste" differs considerably from hers.
I see. I'm tired, and I just got that kind of vibe from the strip for some reason. I think I was so shocked by the fact that she would even say something like that with the emphasis on "you" that it just really, really rubbed me the wrong way. People who say stuff like that are generally trying to put the other person down, and that always bothers me. I know that absolutely wasn't Dora's intention, but the fact that she said something that's generally reserved for crapheads to use really rubbed me the wrong way and threw me off.

If her dad really does like tall girls, I can completely understand her expression and how she said it. And I get that it just came out wrong because she didn't realize the implications. If that's the case. I certainly hope it is, but my first reaction to that panel was one of just disgust, whether it was deserved or not. :/
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Potentially, although we can't be sure that's not just Jeph's cartoony way of portraying eye-twitching.

I'm sure of it. It's almost an industry standard.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I guess you're right but it still looks fucking weird!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Perhaps Dora's last girlfriend was more feminine and thus, more her Dad's taste. I think her faux pas may be related to the fact that (as MartenMom put it) Tai's a "tiny butch one".

Of course, there are more eloquent ways of explaining this to Tai, but.....where's the humor in that? Let's just hope Dora can clear things up and Tai can overlook her misstep. Then again....tomorrow IS Friday, so I'm not counting on a resolution quite yet.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Were I Tai (and I'm not) I might take offense less to what Dora said than by the casual, distracted, almost dismissive way she said it -- a touch of the "other people don't really exist" vibe I've picked up from our not-quite-ex-Goth caffeinator in strips past.
Tai is realizing the danger in idealizing/idolizing someone: It's a pedestal that can be undermined by the slightest imperfection, and the fall is longer and the crash is louder than they really have any business being.
That said, I'm not betting on a blowup just yet; I've noted before a history in QC of setups for "shit's gonna go down" situations only to have it bypassed in the next day's strip (and then surface hundreds of strips later, as the flame finally reaches the other end of the fuse).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Given the two women that Peter Bianchi seems to adore (Elssa and Veronica Vance-Reed), I think it's rather obvious what she really meant.

Hint: "Eyes up here" will never likely be uttered by Tai.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

So, "tall" is a euphemism for big boobs? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Am I the only one really not getting into this arc? Entry into it felt really contrived and forced, and I'm not sure I really want to spend that much time on a pair I've never been greatly interested in the first place.

I'm not looking forward to hundreds of strips and years of this.

ukrayf

• Not quite a lurker

Just let Jeph work out the kinks and figure out the dynamic more, it'll feel less awkward eventually.

Melauren

• Not quite a lurker

Enh, even if Joseph (Joseph? Yes?) IS into "tall" ladies, that doesn't preclude him from checking out other ladies. I check out almost everyone I meet unless I find them distinctly UNattractive at first glance... so I can see why Tai'd be pissed. It's like Dora's saying "you're so unattractive that my dad wouldn't even glance at you twice."

Actually, I think Marten once compared Tai to a pinball machine in terms of sexual attractiveness. Kid can't catch a break!

Edited to include the strip: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=768
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2012, 07:08 by Melauren »

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Oh, geez, Dora. Really?

I'm about Tai's shape (though I do have a bubble butt and am average height), so that's something that would honestly hurt my feelings enough that I would think about reconsidering the relationship. Like, "You don't consider me desirable enough for your pervert dad? If you don't think I'm good enough for the dirty old man to stare at, then you obviously don't think much of my figure." She's treating Tai like she's not attracted to her. And that does not bode well. At all.

It's hard for me to tell how much of Tai's reaction in the last panel is just for laughs/cuteness. I'm curious to see what they'll add to that in the next one.

Back to the Dora "loves" Butch girls and thinks they're cute but aren't her type.  Pretty sure there was a strip about it.  Gotta say, Dora has never seemed to be attracted to Tai so much as just interested in her in general on a "you got a vag piercing, cool! gotta see that!".  Still getting the sisterly vibes from Dora.

That said.  Ughg.  That's Marten level foot in mouth.

Pervy dads may did tall girls Dora, but that doesn't mean they won't go looking at other cute girls.

That waiter IS slackin' by the way.  I'm guessing it prolly just woulda been harder to draw both plates in both hands.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Am I the only one really not getting into this arc? Entry into it felt really contrived and forced, and I'm not sure I really want to spend that much time on a pair I've never been greatly interested in the first place.

Just let Jeph work out the kinks and figure out the dynamic more, it'll feel less awkward eventually.
Word.   (do people still say that?)

Marten-Dora felt awkward at the beginning.  Nothing was more awkward than Steve-Cosette.  Or Steve-Ellen.  Or Steve-Meena.  Hell, all of Steve's pairings felt forced.  But hell if Steve-Cosette isn't true to a half dozen couples I've known over the years! 

Really, the most "organic" pairing I've seen in here is Angus-Faye (Sorry, I still like "Fayngus"). 

We're human.  We are awkward.  We're also the only creatures self-conscious enough to care about awkwardness! 

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Word.   (do people still say that?)

Marten-Dora felt awkward at the beginning.  Nothing was more awkward than Steve-Cosette.  Or Steve-Ellen.  Or Steve-Meena.  Hell, all of Steve's pairings felt forced.  But hell if Steve-Cosette isn't true to a half dozen couples I've known over the years! 

Really, the most "organic" pairing I've seen in here is Angus-Faye (Sorry, I still like "Fayngus"). 

We're human.  We are awkward.  We're also the only creatures self-conscious enough to care about awkwardness!

As another said though, it is awkward to the point of being forced a bit.  As evidenced by some of the drama.  Agreed on "Fayngus" though.  Definitely the healthiest looking and most "organic" pairing yet.

Dora/Marten wasn't awkward to me.  They/Dora just had that Faye issue in the background. Steve.  Oh man.  Steve is just an entirely different beast in this comic.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

This is awkward on the "teenage-crush-first-date awkward" level of the scale. Yeah, Dora could have been a little more careful with her words... but who hasn't proverbially stuck their foot so far in their mouth that they're able to kick themselves in the stomach for being so stupid?

Next strip is all about the damage control, for sure.

As another said though, it is awkward to the point of being forced a bit.  As evidenced by some of the drama.  Agreed on "Fayngus" though.  Definitely the healthiest looking and most "organic" pairing yet.

Dora/Marten wasn't awkward to me.  They/Dora just had that Faye issue in the background. Steve.  Oh man.  Steve is just an entirely different beast in this comic.
The awkwardness in this situation is probably based on how little they know about each other. Tai was infatuated by Dora, because of her seemingly successful life, and her solid character. Dora accepted, based on how upfront and honest Tai was about her feelings. But was it ever established, how much do they know about each other? And how much did they really interact with each other beforehand? Not a great deal on both counts, I think.

Marten and Dora happened because their interactions (particularly after "The Talk") brought them closer and closer together. They basically knew each other inside and out, and when the question of Faye was no longer a question... well, the opportunity was there for them to learn about each other from the outside in (no matter how serious a discussion on relationships, there's always time for a good (or probably bad, in this case) sex joke).

Angus and Faye. How many relationships have started out like that, in any case? Go to a coffee shop, bar, grocery store, restaurant or other eatery... anywhere where one is providing service to another, and you'll see people interacting in a similar way. They become regulars, share quips and conversations, and it ends up like they've known each other their entire lives. Worse case scenario? One or both is married or in a relationship (although that doesn't stop some people...).

This is about as "natural" as it gets these days. The customer ends up being a regular, they see that particular cashier/barista/waitress/barmaid (or barman) because they're their favourite, and off it goes from there.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well, I've seen (and been in) real-life relationships of all kinds (romantic, work, social) that felt and/or were "forced." So there's nothing unrealistic about Dora and Tai in that regard.

The closest thing to a vision Jeph's articulated for this comic is "People trying to get along." Trying means not always succeeding. Here, we're going to see some of that. Whether we think the pairing can work, or is one we like, is nowhere near the point. But this will have repercussions, good and bad, major and minor, within the various social sets and subsets depicted in QCVerse, and how Jeph chooses to depict that and how well he writes it, are what interests me.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

If anything kills this relationship, it'll be a repeat of what happened between Marten and Dora. Awkward moments like this are to expected at the beginning of a courtship. The real test will be when Tai checks out another girl or does one of the other things that set Dora off when she and Marten were a couple. And Marten was/is a lot more easygoing than Tai. Our head librarians assistant may not put up with as much as our passive/aggressive would be guitarist did. I guess it really depends on wether Dora has her shit sorted or not.

Angry eating Tai is cute as hell, though.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Now I'm imagining Tai uttering "eyes down here!"
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Now I'm imagining Tai uttering "eyes down here!"
The only possible response to that must be "you have eyes where?"
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"Forced" is a good word. Tai pushed this instead of having it develop naturally. That's neither right nor wrong, it's neither good writing nor bad, just a description.

The logical module in my brain knows better than to comment on relationships and human emotions, but it still blurts out opinions sometimes, and it didn't understand why an exclusive lesbian would care what a het man thought of her appearance. Unless it sounded like it was Dora's opinion.

Joseph Bianchi is the uncle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

It's probably that she said "anything revealing", and got the reply "oh YOU don't need to worry about THAT!" (because she doesn't have much to reveal).

I guess it's sort of contradictory considering that Dora doesn't pack that much er.. junk in the trunk either. What I'm trying to say is she doesn't have big boobs. Damn my limited vocabulary.

Carl-E

• Awakened

"Junk in the trunk" is a reference to the backside, in particular, an ample one. 

Tova

• coprophage

I see. I'm tired, and I just got that kind of vibe from the strip for some reason. I think I was so shocked by the fact that she would even say something like that with the emphasis on "you" that it just really, really rubbed me the wrong way.

I think it would have rubbed just about anyone the wrong way, at least initially.

If her dad really does like tall girls, I can completely understand her expression and how she said it.

Yeah, as jwhouk said... I don't believe that he's into "tall" girls for a second. That was (IMO) a bit of a clumsy lie. Would it have been to much to expect for Dora to have smoothed things over honestly?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Perhaps Dora's last girlfriend was more feminine and thus, more her Dad's taste. I think her faux pas may be related to the fact that (as MartenMom put it) Tai's a "tiny butch one".

I think Dora mentioned Tai's butchness long before Veronica Vance made said observation.

deathwing107

• Not quite a lurker

Dora pulled a Todd Akin...

...too soon?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I didn't pick up on it until here.
When her last name was revealed, I was just glad (and ok, maybe slightly disappointed) that her last name wasn't "Fighter". (Not much of a stretch considering Marigold's last name turned out to be Farmer.)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

I'm actually a little pleasantly surprised that Jeph inserted any friction or drama into the parade of rainbows and unicorns.  From a writing standpoint, I don't know how he'll extricate himself from this.  The standard plot device: The shallow/stupid Dude, is not available.  Having a major character in a stable, happy, relationship is...well... boring.  But if this relationship goes south, its going to be hard to avoid making one of the girls the bad guy. Which means painting a lesbian or bisexual as the one to blame. 
Hard to do without getting painted with an anti-woman/anti-gay brush.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

Dora, Dora, Dora, you can't go around using your mouth as a shoe... You'd need someone else's mouth to form a pair, and they'd never match.
It's a good thing Tai seems determined to make this possibility work, otherwise this would have ended before we were all properly entertained XD
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

What is a bubble tea?

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I find it extremely impressive that Dora managed to eat her entire meal with her foot still in her mouth, since she clearly hasn't removed it between this strip and the last. :P

Edit- I also find it extremely impressive that I managed to accidentally be the first post on a new page twice in a row this week.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Herrell's?

...from exterior shots, I kind of thought CoD took over Herrell's.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage

Bubble Tea

Ohhh. I'd only ever heard it referred to as pearl milk tea.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up