Never been with a guy? (Always knew)
- 0 (0%)
Parents were always super supportive
- 0 (0%)
Just a phase, like baggy pants.
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or girl, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 8 (20%)
It's weird when you catch your father checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
Oh, I'd seriously doubt you'd have to worry about it.
- 1 (2.5%)
...he only goes for tall women! WELL MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS
- 6 (15%)
Let's go to Harrell's for desert!
- 0 (0%)
Last time I went there on a date I totally freaked out and realized I shouldn't have been dating anyone at the time.
- 1 (2.5%)
I hope it's not cursed! Haha!
- 0 (0%)
BUBBLE TEA LET'S GET BUBBLE TEA INSTEAD
- 5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2256-60 (20-24 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 63300 times)

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It's kinda cute how Tai is trying to make this work.  It shows she's really interested in making things work out between them.

And I think Dora is trying a little too hard too.

Relax gals!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

DAMMIT DORA
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Who the hell drinks, let alone sells bubble tea anymore?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I drink it on the rare occasion when I come across it, since it is delicious.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I just found out that it is indeed, by at least one company, referred to as bubble tea in Australia. All I need now is for Akima to post wondering how the hell I could have failed to notice.

http://www.easywaytea.com.au/

I guess you don't like it, then?

Sheesh tender - least you could have done was linked to http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bubble+tea (;
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jurialmunkey

• Not quite a lurker

Were I Tai (and I'm not) I might take offense less to what Dora said than by the casual, distracted, almost dismissive way she said it -- a touch of the "other people don't really exist" vibe I've picked up from our not-quite-ex-Goth caffeinator in strips past.
Tai is realizing the danger in idealizing/idolizing someone: It's a pedestal that can be undermined by the slightest imperfection, and the fall is longer and the crash is louder than they really have any business being.

I agree with this a lot. I think there is more to it than Dora making foot-in-mouth gaffes. Dora seems to be giving off this whole self-absorbed and flippant sort of vibe as if its all about her. Even just her saying that she is enjoying being pursued gives it away. Whilst Tai seems genuinely interested in Dora (and has been for a long time). Even in the choice of clothes, you could see Tai going out of her comfort zone into the dress trying to be more girly because thats what she thought would be appealing to Dora. Whilst Dora, on the other hand, goes back to familiar territory in her clothing choices - she wears what she knows gets her the most attention. I don't think it is anything sinister or even thought out at all, just the impression I get of Dora's head-state.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

We've got a few bubble tea places here in Columbus. Never liked the stuff myself, though.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I just found out that it is indeed, by at least one company, referred to as bubble tea in Australia. All I need now is for Akima to post wondering how the hell I could have failed to notice.

http://www.easywaytea.com.au/

There also is a company called Happy Cup (Singapore-originated) that does bubble teas here. Also some Asian bakeries and other stores (I live in a predominantly Asian suburb here in Australia). They are very nice (particularly the papaya and taro milk teas).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference

Bubble tea is all over the place where I live, but only the odd place calls it that. The rest of the shops and restaurants call it boba. I'm surprised to see it talked about as if it were a trend that came and went. Does your area have a very small Asian community, cesario?

Mmm, boba...now I want some. I might be visiting with a good friend on Saturday who's quite the boba connoisseur - she has one or two shops that she knows make it the best and always takes people there. Also, there's me. I make boba that meets her qualifications and am quite proud of this.  :-D

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Haven't see it in my area or state for over a year now.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Oh wow! I never knew Dora could fit her entire foot in there! °O
Foot? All the way to the knee I think.

Aaaaaand we just passed the knee, halfway up the thigh now! Holy Mickey Mouse!
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Yeah if Dora keeps this up she'll have to move over to the second foot anytime soon, since the first one is now lodged firmly in her throat.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Boo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Hmm.
I think I preferred Tai when she was the uber-confident, slightly crazy librarian.
At the moment, she may as well be walking around with a big ol' neon sign over her head, saying "I'M DESPERATE!".

And indeed, what's with Dora?  She does (as others have pointed out) seem to have turned into some sort of jerk with an overactive flippancy gland.

I guess that's what dating does to people.

/hopes we get back to Hannelore & Pintsize hijinks soon
Boo : Juggler, programmer, drummer, non-celebrity chef.  I know where my towel is.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Yeah, as jwhouk said... I don't believe that he's into "tall" girls for a second. That was (IMO) a bit of a clumsy lie. Would it have been to much to expect for Dora to have smoothed things over honestly?
Aw, but I want to believe. :P I was trying to give Dora the benefit of the doubt. But there's just no helping her at this point. >_>

I have some friends who are obsessed with bubble tea and milk tea.

And, Dora? Please stop saying the first thing that comes to mind. You're coming off as awfully vapid and self-centered.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

There is a Chatime near where I work that sells the stuff.

http://www.chatime.com.au/menu-product_d.php

I still prefer the name 'pearl milk tea', but there ya go.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Boba/bubble tea/pearl tea is absolutely everywhere where I live.  Gotta be at least 10 different places in our small city alone.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Haven't see it in my area or state for over a year now.
That's weird, in my small city there's at least 5 places that sell it + Mc Donald's sells it too in their Mc Cafés.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference

Dora.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Mmmmmm....bubble teeeeeea. It was seriously everywhere when I lived in nyc and now that I'm back up North a bit, it's not nearly as common. No cute little shops either- just a tiny kiosk in the mall.  :meh:

The fiance had never tried it and decided that it reminded him of fish eggs. More for me!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

TheEvilDog

At the moment, she may as well be walking around with a big ol' neon sign over her head, saying "I'M DESPERATE!".

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
Pretty much from the time she met Dora, Tai has had this fantasy about her. And in doing so built upon that fantasy as people tend to do. Only now, the fantasy is meeting reality and Tai is finding out the hard way that they aren't the same thing. She's desperate for the reality to match up to her expectations and its failing fast.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2012, 06:16 by TheEvilDog »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I've only heard of bubble tea online.  It hasn't made it out into the wilds of rural PA yet (although I'm sure it's available up the road at the little Big College town). 

Really looks like just another way to rot yer teeth... though I love me some tapioca...

And EvilDog, you make a good point.  I don't see this working nearly as well as either of them hoped. 

More therapy fodder! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

We start off with the best moment of LAST week:

Touch my pinky!    10 (13.5%)
Floating on air    2 (2.7%)
Sexecutioner    10 (13.5%)
Hanners has the hose.    18 (24.3%)
Mutual call blowups!    3 (4.1%)
Pintsize ponders his options    4 (5.4%)
Macro shots of human anuses.    8 (10.8%)
It was kind of... mesmerizing.    11 (14.9%)
I have all sorts of doubts about the long-term viability of our relationship now.    5 (6.8%)
Other (You mean there was something else?)    3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 74
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Were I Tai (and I'm not) I might take offense less to what Dora said than by the casual, distracted, almost dismissive way she said it -- a touch of the "other people don't really exist" vibe I've picked up from our not-quite-ex-Goth caffeinator in strips past.
Tai is realizing the danger in idealizing/idolizing someone: It's a pedestal that can be undermined by the slightest imperfection, and the fall is longer and the crash is louder than they really have any business being.

I agree with this a lot. I think there is more to it than Dora making foot-in-mouth gaffes. Dora seems to be giving off this whole self-absorbed and flippant sort of vibe as if its all about her. Even just her saying that she is enjoying being pursued gives it away. Whilst Tai seems genuinely interested in Dora (and has been for a long time). Even in the choice of clothes, you could see Tai going out of her comfort zone into the dress trying to be more girly because thats what she thought would be appealing to Dora. Whilst Dora, on the other hand, goes back to familiar territory in her clothing choices - she wears what she knows gets her the most attention. I don't think it is anything sinister or even thought out at all, just the impression I get of Dora's head-state.

IT does have the sort of atmosphere about it.  Particularly since Dora had the far off expression when she told Tai she didn't have anything to worry about pervy dad coming on to her.

I am honestly seeing no real level of attraction so far on Dora's part.  So far, there was only that awkward "haha, yea sure" response to Tai's clit piercing.  That sounded like a flippant, not sure how to respond or dont' wanna hurt someone so yea, sure it looks good response.  It isn't first date jitters either.  I'm seeing absolutely zero chemistry going on here on Dora's part while Tai is trying her ass off and I don't think it's Dora trying too hard.

Like you said.  I think Dora is merely enjoying the being pursued for once and the lavish attention being heaped on her that she is in her own little world.  Awful start to something that really shouldn't have started this early given how hardcore into Dora Tai is.  There levels just dont' match. 

This honestly seems like a day out with your sister still. :psyduck:

Hypster

• Plantmonster

Goddammit, Dora.
I really don't want to see Tai hurt, but that's where this date is heading.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

She didn't even realize what she actually said.
That's the bad part. :-o

She's just cluelessly self-centered during this date.  It's awful to see.  I love Dora, but damn.  I can't see the slightest inkling of this working, but I figured she'd have Tai's feelings more closely guarded.  I mean she DOES know how long Tai's been crushing on her. 

I think it is another case for a therapy session.  She's going from "I'm not good enough to be pursed" to "I'm being pursued, I'm awesome, hear me RWAWR!"  In a bad way.

In reality though, it is better Dora NOT lead Tai on and not fake interest so much as just try to appease Tai for awhile then get fed up.  A little pain early better than a crap load latter.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Of course, being where I live in Central Wisconsin, there's at least one or two tea houses that serve the stuff. Sounds a bit too much for me, though (and I'm also not much of a tea drinker, either).

What I'm thinking is that Tai is playing the "ideal" card, while Dora is reverting to the last time she was "bi" - when she was a goth. And, as part of that "role", she's turning into this flippant, unthinking little biatch.

Of course, she could be unconsciously pushing Tai away by her actions, too. Soooo much going on here, you'd need at least two psych degrees to figure it all out - and I only have one.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

she's turning into this flippant, unthinking little biatch.

I thought the name was Bianchi?   8-)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Of course, being where I live in Central Wisconsin, there's at least one or two tea houses that serve the stuff. Sounds a bit too much for me, though (and I'm also not much of a tea drinker, either).

What I'm thinking is that Tai is playing the "ideal" card, while Dora is reverting to the last time she was "bi" - when she was a goth. And, as part of that "role", she's turning into this flippant, unthinking little biatch.

Of course, she could be unconsciously pushing Tai away by her actions, too. Soooo much going on here, you'd need at least two psych degrees to figure it all out - and I only have one.

That certainly isn't a good thing if that's the case.  I don't want to start a controversy, but that statement leaves me with the question of on the scale of bi, how truly bi/interested in women for a MEANINGFUL relationship she is.  Seems like she's still heavily swayed toward the area of men (I know a friend like that.  Though she doesn't really call herself bi so much as a "heteroswing" girl who likes to flirt and doesn't mind getting physical/sleeping with women but wouldn't pursue a legitimate relationship with one.)  That Dora seemingly has to switch on the "bi-switch" as it were to females, doesn't bode well.

She's either out of practice or subconsciously isn't really interested in a lasting fem/fem relationship and just wants the attention. 

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Dora is fast becoming unlikeable in my opinion, she just seems so vapid and self-centered, points made by basically everyone else, but truthfully though, she should know how it is to be pursued, she basically pursued Marten from the second she met him, and the only thing stopping that was Faye.

Either way, I prefer Tai as a character as i know a person just like her, Jeph has done Tai as a character really well to the point she entered the comic i thought the character was fast becoming interesting, but now it seems Dora just wants attention and will take it from anywhere at this point, which won't end up well for Tai.. or any of her other friends now.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

she's turning into this flippant, unthinking little biatch.

I thought the name was Bianchi?   8-)

I was thinking about making that joke, but I decided to let someone else take a whack at it.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Mebbe this belongs over in that new "character development for Marten" thread, but ...
Aside from how well this goes for Tai and/or Dora, there might be a chance for Marten to grow as a hoomin bean character here.
He seems to grow a spine especially when he perceives one of his friends being hurt/threatened.
Here he sees a gal with whom he was once involved, with whom he does not want to fight, and about whom he still gives sort of a sh!t. She's potentially hurting another person who is Marten's boss/co-worker and friend ... a self-admitted "sh!tty friend" at times, but Tai does make an effort to care about other people, including indieboy.
So ... will Marten have a reaction to the impending crash beyond "Oh jeez, oh jeez ... "? Is it his place? Will he think it is?
I'll watch.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2012, 13:55 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

And indeed, what's with Dora?  She does (as others have pointed out) seem to have turned into some sort of jerk with an overactive flippancy gland.

Someone's gotta be the stereotypical "stupid guy" who inevitably ruins the relationship. Looks like it's gonna be Dora, who as nearly everyone has pointed out doesn't seem to be taking this anywhere near as seriously as Tai.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Ohhh. I'd only ever heard it referred to as pearl milk tea.
Well... Pearl Milk Tea is a straight translation of its correct name in Chinese, 珍珠奶茶. I've heard the term "bubble tea" but I don't really use it. I don't like the stuff myself; or the South Asian spiced Masala tea often known here by the redundant name "Chai Tea". I prefer my tea "straight", brewed in a proper pot, or a gaiwan, without milk, sugar, spices, tapioca etc

And Dora... What are you doing?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Bubble Tea is the best drink ever, especially in smoothie form. All hail the bubble tea.

Also ahahahahahaha Dora you are just terrible at dates

Actually, remembering the Sven/Hannelore date, I think this runs in the family
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Sweet mercy, was she like this when she was first dating Marten? The man must have the patience of a saint.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Sweet mercy, was she like this when she was first dating Marten? The man must have the patience of a saint.

Oh no.  When she was WITH Marten, she was overprotective and insecure.  She was never flippant from what I recall.  She was a tease though.

This is a totally new side of Dora. :evil:   A very bad sad of Dora.  I don't think she's taking this seriously at all compared to Tai.  On a scale of 1-10, 1 is Dora, 100 is Tai.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Doesn't it seem though, that as soon as the faux pas leave her mouth, Dora recognizes what she's done? That suggests she might be anxious, not unable to censor hurtful things.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Doesn't it seem though, that as soon as the faux pas leave her mouth, Dora recognizes what she's done? That suggests she might be anxious, not unable to censor hurtful things.

From what I'm able to discern from comic expressions (and I read a lot of varying ones and styles) the expression Dora has is a recognition of Tai stopping in the middle of the street and Dora is giving the ole' "huh?  What'd I say?" look.  Totally oblivious, hence the weirdish shocked looking expression of Dora as she's being pulling along by a frantic Tai who has decided to change their destination.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Tai in panel four reminds me of Hanners in the last panel of this one

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Interesting parallel, no?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dora seems to be giving off this whole self-absorbed and flippant sort of vibe as if its all about her. Even just her saying that she is enjoying being pursued gives it away. Whilst Tai seems genuinely interested in Dora (and has been for a long time). Even in the choice of clothes, you could see Tai going out of her comfort zone into the dress trying to be more girly because thats what she thought would be appealing to Dora. Whilst Dora, on the other hand, goes back to familiar territory in her clothing choices - she wears what she knows gets her the most attention.

This makes sense. When have we seen Dora wanting to know more about Tai as a person?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I think in terms of obliviousness and clumsiness, Dora is actually channelling Marten on the past few strips.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Dora seems to be giving off this whole self-absorbed and flippant sort of vibe as if its all about her. Even just her saying that she is enjoying being pursued gives it away. Whilst Tai seems genuinely interested in Dora (and has been for a long time). Even in the choice of clothes, you could see Tai going out of her comfort zone into the dress trying to be more girly because thats what she thought would be appealing to Dora. Whilst Dora, on the other hand, goes back to familiar territory in her clothing choices - she wears what she knows gets her the most attention.

This makes sense. When have we seen Dora wanting to know more about Tai as a person?

*Ahem*

Dora's interest in Tai has never been on the same level that Tai's interest in Dora has been. That's why this whole comic seems extremely silly to me. Dora know basically nothing about Tai outside of what she's known through all of them hanging out and what she now knows. However, despite all of that, she just goes in and kisses Tai like she was waiting for it all along?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Interesting parallel, no?

You forgot the ice cream part in Sven/Hanners

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I think in terms of obliviousness and clumsiness, Dora is actually channelling Marten on the past few strips.

Interesting parallel.  Though, Marten has grown just a bit, so I'm not sure sure even HE would making this much of an ass of himself.  In fact, Marten is seemingly almost without any sort of established ego. :psyduck:  Maybe I'm wrong, but.  I just think it is actually a role reversal for Dora.  Dora is the asshat boyfriend in this instance instead of the insecure girl role that Tai is now maintaining.  A complete opposite of what her therapy is trying to solve.

Which why it appears she's going to need sessions of a different topic and sort now.

bukwrm

• Not quite a lurker

Dora/Tai, as much as I love it, feels like Sven/Faye.
Faye realizes here is someone who will happily be with her, so grabs on and goes for the kiss (and in her case, quite a bit more, but, well....) and despite not having a whole lot of actual romantic feelings, likes that she is suddenly desirable and desired.
I could see Marten giving Sven a head's-up to point out to his sister that she is becoming what she hates, one of the other characters mentioning this to Dora (possibly Hanners? She is so sweetly oblivious), or Tai getting over the Dora-crush and breaking it off. I don't see Dora or Tai cheating, not at this point, at least.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Like I said, both are trying too hard.

Tai has had a crush on Dora for a while and is, I think, at the point where she's looking for something a little more than the kind of relationships she's had up until now and sees Dora as a possible 'Change of Pace' from that. As such she is a little unsure and skittish about her first date with Dora.

As for Dora, I think she's still dealing with her issues after the Marten breakup and is making gaffs because of it. She's also aware of Tais past, and I think is a little unsure about where this is going  This is definitely not  the 'Real' Dora, and she needs to relax.  I think if she does, she might be surprised at how things go with Tai.

Of course, this whole thing could crash and burn, which will just add to the usual angst prevalent in their lives.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What is the worst thing that could happen for the relationship?

Bailey becoming available.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

What is the worst thing that could happen for the relationship?

Bailey becoming available.

Holy Crap. Would Tai flat dump Dora for a shot at Bailey? Maybe. Or worse, Tai could go after Bailey on the side, triggering every single one of Dora's issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up