Never been with a guy? (Always knew)
- 0 (0%)
Parents were always super supportive
- 0 (0%)
Just a phase, like baggy pants.
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or girl, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 8 (20%)
It's weird when you catch your father checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
Oh, I'd seriously doubt you'd have to worry about it.
- 1 (2.5%)
...he only goes for tall women! WELL MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS
- 6 (15%)
Let's go to Harrell's for desert!
- 0 (0%)
Last time I went there on a date I totally freaked out and realized I shouldn't have been dating anyone at the time.
- 1 (2.5%)
I hope it's not cursed! Haha!
- 0 (0%)
BUBBLE TEA LET'S GET BUBBLE TEA INSTEAD
- 5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2256-60 (20-24 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 62685 times)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

WHAT is that on Dora's ass? It looks something like the tattoo on Tai's left elbow. I don't remember Dora with a tramp stamp.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

That's her flames tattoo.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

You can see it here (there's one where she explains it, but this is more fun).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I am in agreement that Tai's outfit is absolutely terrible and totally out of character.  Seriously, what were you thinking? 

And Dora dear, while I love the goth look, what you have going on here is just a mess.

I am indeed interested to know what each of them thought the date was going to entail.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I think something about today's page really tweaked the "contrast" dial in my free association matrix: For some reason, I am reminded of that moment in Queen of Wands when Shannon and Kestrel catch Felix on his way out in drag then, after hasty explanations regarding a total lack of threat to their relationship, the next time we see Felix in drag, Shannon's in drag too, wearing a top hat and tails of all things, and they are going out to paint the town a very confusing shade of red for "teh lulz" as I understand the kids call it these days…

Anyway, that connection spawned the idea that they could totally go out as they are and really play up the "demure doll" and "goth harpy" acts to the max for a laugh, if only their relationship wasn't so new and tentative.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Despite me not really liking this current pairing, I have to say that Dora is looking absolutely delicious. Would have gone with a black skirt though. In Tai's case? She must have gotten dressed in the dark because that dress is hideous. It looks like a cross between a long john top and some art student's quilt project. *barf*

I don't dig the pairing either.  Just seems off and entirely too strange and just because of the girl/girl luvin' (I mean, who doesn't love that other than weird people?).  But that discussion has been done to bits.

But yea.  Dora does look absolutely delicious.  Pulls off the smokin' Goth quite well.

And Tai.  My god.  That grammy dress really is absolutely hideous.  Like why do you own it take it outside and BURN IT hideous.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

They're each trying for what they think the other wants.
(click to show/hide)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

You can see it here (there's one where she explains it, but this is more fun).

This makes me sad, dammit! They were such a hilarious couple for awhile that strip was/is my favorite of their time together. :cry:

And flames aren't a tramp stamp.  Tramp stamps are those stupid tribal looking things.

Man this start to the relationship is hella awkward.  Like high school level awkward.  Fast, furious, and like an exploding sun.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Well… there isn't really a fixed definition of a "tramp stamp" but they are consistently depicted as much smaller than Dora's fire lake, and generally conform to an inverted triangular outline, centred over and pointing down between the buttocks, though block text in an arc above the same location is sometimes also considered a tramp stamp, especially if the text says "tramp"…
Equally there is no defined artistic style for the devices, so while simplistic patterns aping the styles of various aboriginal cultures' initiation tattoos are common they are not definitive, as pictorial depictions of such subjects as flora and Lepidoptera are equally frequent.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I've always heard "tramp stamp" to simply mean "lower back tattoo", regardless of content.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

The Gift of the Magi, QC edition. And I love it.

The Wardrobe of the Magi?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Fast, furious, and like an exploding sun.

Is this referring to the relationship, or the frequency of posts predicting its demise?

I won't lie - largely thanks to the last couple of weeks' posts in the forum, I hope the relationship lasts a loooong time.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

I've always heard "tramp stamp" to simply mean "lower back tattoo", regardless of content.

An actual tramp stamp is smaller, just in the center lower back. Dora's tattoo covers her whole lower back, not just the center, and she mentioned it's also part of a larger piece that's not done yet. Also, Dora's not a fucking TRAMP.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Tova

• coprophage

I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that Dora is a tramp just because she has some kind of tattoo (or for any other reason). They're just discussing the tattoo (which I'm not really following, because I can't say that the precise definition of "tramp stamp" - an expression of which I only learned thanks to this discussion - is of huge interest to me).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Remember when Dora realized she shouldn't be dating anyone right now?

And don't say that was a long time ago.  I think it's only been 3 days worth of QC time.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

It was before the Space arc, and the whole thing with Marten and Padma.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

I'm kinda on the 'my god, what are either of them wearing' side of things.
Me too. Why would Tai especially even have a dress like that? Did her growth stop at thirteen or something? Hilariously bad!  :lol:

I figure Tai's dress is left over from when she was thirteen, or at least some time in her teenage years. It's probably when she started figuring out who she was and started dressing more "butch". Remember, when we first met Tai, she was still binding her breasts and looked fairly androgynous. She has heard Dora say she's not into butch girls (even if she thinks they're cute), so my guess is this is Tai's attempt to be more feminine.

Dora, on the other hand, has no experience dating another woman. She may be attracted to girls, but any ideas she has about what two women might do on a date are all second hand at best. I get the feeling she took aim at the closest stereotype and let fly.

Or I'm wrong and the last time she was in a relationship with a girl was when she was with the coven and she's going back to what she knows.

Either way, they're so awkward it's cute

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

Comic up!

I wondered how long it'd be until that particular memory got dredged up.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2012, 22:14 by Midwesterner »

Tova

• coprophage

Remember when Dora realized she shouldn't be dating anyone right now?

And don't say that was a long time ago.  I think it's only been 3 days worth of QC time.

Yes, I remember. And so... what exactly are you trying to say?

notapoisondevil

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Happy to report that todays comic made me laugh.

Thank you Jeph.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

'Tis possible that Dora was uncomfortable with Jim and mistook that for discomfort with relationships.

Her insecurities might only apply to relationships with men.

I kind of hope Dora and Tai take it slow, but of course they won't.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I don't think that's Pintsize.  His sign says "Will Torrent 4 Cash," which isn't something the tiny terror would be interested in doing.  Too pedestrian.

addenda: Not to mention the colours arn't right.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I don't think that's Pintsize.  His sign says "Will Torrent 4 Cash," which isn't something the tiny terror would be interested in doing.  Too pedestrian.

addenda: Not to mention the colours arn't right.

If memory serves me correct, I think that APC is one of Pintsize friends. Either during the "Party"  or when Pintsize and company were tripping out on some bad drivers.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Tai, you're not modest at all. You once welcomed Steve and Marten into your apartment while there was a lady in your bed. :P
That said, unless Jeph outdoes himself amazingly, we have our moment of the week right there in the fourth panel.

Couple of things to note:
AnthroPC begging: "Will torrent 4 cash". This has a LOT of potential layers for analysis, but I'll just file it under "intriguing" for now.

It strikes me that Dora and Tai don't know how to behave in front of each other after just being friends for so long. Dora was the one who brought up seeing Tai naked, and ordinarily I think she would have had a much more confident response to Tai's flirting (given that she was ALWAYS going to say "Did you like what you saw?" on that subject). But she didn't.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Torrenting for cash wouldn't be that different from selling sexy Internet images to Hannelore. But I don't think that's Pintsize either. It's a really common chassis design.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Well, now it's confirmed - That is Tai out with Dora and not a Pod Person   :-D

I like the way Dora blushed there too when Tai reminded her.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage

Imagine how Tai would have reacted if she'd known that both Dora and Marten visualised her naked afterwards.

(Don't ask me to link - I have neither the archive-fu nor the time)

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Imagine how Tai would have reacted if she'd known that both Dora and Marten visualised her naked afterwards.

(Don't ask me to link - I have neither the archive-fu nor the time)

Here you go.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

bukwrm

• Not quite a lurker

I was actually wondering about that piercing yesterday. I wonder if it's still there or if she let it heal up.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

"My pussy rules."

Yes it does.  and, unless there's some R34 artist frequenting the webcomic's fandom, we'll never see how much.

...I am unsure if that is good or bad.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

In other news, I located a couple of strips that I knew were floating around somewhere - pretty much on how Tai started out monogamous, and ended up dipping into the polyamory pool one drunken night:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=728

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=765

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

...and Tai's back in character. Much better.  :-D

Also, it's too bad it's 0300 here; the homeless AnthroPC has some interesting implications. Would have been a fascinating discussion. As it is, I must sleep.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 00:06 by RyanW1019 »

Toe

Well… there isn't really a fixed definition of a "tramp stamp" but they are consistently depicted as much smaller than Dora's fire lake, and generally conform to an inverted triangular outline, centred over and pointing down between the buttocks, though block text in an arc above the same location is sometimes also considered a tramp stamp, especially if the text says "tramp"…
Equally there is no defined artistic style for the devices, so while simplistic patterns aping the styles of various aboriginal cultures' initiation tattoos are common they are not definitive, as pictorial depictions of such subjects as flora and Lepidoptera are equally frequent.

I consider almost any tattoo just above a girl's butt to be a tramp stamp. A wide, branching, and often roughly triangular tattoo is a subtype of tramp stamp known as 'ass antlers'.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

For some reason I think if Dora was wearing heeled boots, her outfit would work a lot better.
Oh, yeah, a nice pair of heeled New Rock boots. I go one, it's nifty.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

I loved today's strip, seems like it's back to form,

And disturbingly enough this isn't the first time i've seen a girl exclaim "My Pussy Rocks"..

Nor is it even the 5th time, I associate with some weird people.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ]
And disturbingly enough this isn't the first time i've seen a girl exclaim "My Pussy Rocks"..
Nor is it even the 5th time, I associate with some weird people.

Or they're just cat-enthusiasts who left their guitar lying around... (Ba-dum Psh!)

edit:
Oh, hey, 501st post. Totally missed my quintodecaversary. (is that even a word?)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

quintodecaversary.

Wouldn't that be 50th?  What about quintocentiversary for 500th?  Or properly, quingentiversary, as quingenti is the Latin word for 500 (formed from quinque centi)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Quincentennial

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

My latin classes were so long ago. I thank both of you for making me feel very very stupid.  :-D
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

While Tai's clothing was the most out-of-character... I despised Dora's far more. So watching her again with that outfit is quite the eyesore.

I obviously didn't expect her to go home and change though, I'm not that silly.  :-P

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Man that was incredibly awkward.

Very strange reaction from Dora after having talked nonchalantly about such things with Marten.

Now I wonder if she'll get more awkward if they ever get to the point of being more physical.

At any rate.  Dora blushes are still my favorite.

And stop lying Dora.  That thing is hideous and she looked terrible in that dress...thing.

ink slinger

So it's like Grease?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

While Tai's clothing was the most out-of-character... I despised Dora's far more. So watching her again with that outfit is quite the eyesore.

I obviously didn't expect her to go home and change though, I'm not that silly.  :-P

Tai is eager to solve your problem for you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I can't wrap my head around how Dora's goth-attire would be what Tai wanted or what Dora thought she wanted!  :lol:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Relationships are based on misunderstanding.  Once you realise that, the only way to go is up.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai wanted to go to a goth club, back when Martenmom was visiting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

verdyyy3

• Plantmonster

Whatever the reason for the come back, I like goth Dora! :-D Tai in that dress on the other hand... weird.
Not all who wander are lost.

Milesb

Quoted for absolute truth.

Dora is in her Goth clothing because it's an association with a more relaxed and experimental time in her life. Clothing of that period invokes feelings of the time, ie she's trying to be what she sees Tai as, youthful and experimental. (Try it yourself, put an old work outfit on and see how it makes you feel)

Tai is coming from the opposite extreme, hence the bad dress in an effort to match what she perceives Dora as: maturity, stability and wisdom.

The two dresses expose their extremely different viewpoints at a superficial level (clothing) and on a deeper level (emotional/relationship expectation) simultaneously.

So unless they get down to actually trying to understand each other it's gonna be a train wreck.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Dora is in her Goth clothing because it's an association with a more relaxed and experimental time in her life. Clothing of that period invokes feelings of the time, ie she's trying to be what she sees Tai as, youthful and experimental. (Try it yourself, put an old work outfit on and see how it makes you feel)

I think rather that she's trying for her youth, and reaching a little.  We know she can do a sophisticated, mature version of goth (meeting Henry and Maurice), here she's trying to appeal to someone about 6 - 8 years her junior. 

It doesn't really work, IMHO. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up