• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And Yet Another MOTW Poll:

So how'd your date last night go? Pretty well, I think... "You think?"
- 0 (0%)
I can tell Tai's completely infatuated with me already... I don't really feel that way about her yet and-
- 0 (0%)
YOU KNEW THAT!  If it was gonna be a problem, you shouldn't have agreed to go out in the first place!
- 0 (0%)
I KNEW THIS was a BAD IDEA. You're not ready to date, and you're screwing up again...
- 0 (0%)
...And if you had let me FINISH MY SENTENCE... She's so cute it's gonna be hard to hold out.
- 0 (0%)
I... you... What am I supposed to do with all this surplus rage now?
- 1 (1.9%)
Annette and RTTG meet up with "Miss Gabby"
- 0 (0%)
Marten can't believe they were froshes at Smif! "They all look like kids to me these days."
- 0 (0%)
Gabby: "How old do I look to you?" Marten: "Oh you're definitely college age."
- 0 (0%)
Claire: "What about me?" With that bag - 8th grade?
- 0 (0%)
I AM TWENTY-FOUR AND THIS IS VINTAGE (Bonercat bag FTW!)
- 1 (1.9%)
Claire reads off the order list; Hannelore: "It'll be a couple minutes. I have to go wash off the hammer."
- 1 (1.9%)
Tai's cute! I'm glad. Where's Faye? "She had to go work off some excess rage.
- 0 (0%)
Crosseyed Angus! "I'm not complaining, but what brought that on?"
- 4 (7.7%)
"It was either that or punch a tree 'til it exploded, and the park service is still mad at me for last time."
- 5 (9.6%)
Maritza Campos Guest Comic! Marten breaks Hannelore's mind! "fwip"
- 0 (0%)
Angus shows some concern: "We didn't, like, DISTURB you just now, did we?" "What? No."
- 0 (0%)
That's good. We were, uh, pretty loud and- "I didn't DISTURB YOU last night, did I? Because MAN."
- 1 (1.9%)
VRRRRR SHLUP SHLUP SHLUP RRRRR WEEE OH YEAH BABY PFFTHBLTH UNF UNF UNF MMM YEAH
- 27 (51.9%)
I was just goin' CRAZY. On my GENITALS.
- 8 (15.4%)
That's, uh, a little more information than I needed to-
- 0 (0%)
WELL MAYBE WE DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT EVERY TIME ONE OF US IS DOING SEX STUFF
- 0 (0%)
Marigold! I was in the room!
- 4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2271-75 (10-14 September 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 62556 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Would someone please explain why RTTG is wearing her pajama bottoms to class??!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

I think that if, in Tai and Marten's ensuing conversations, Tai would have been a little more revealing towards Marten about her desire to want to settle in to a monogamous relationship, it would have made a bit more sense.

Tai's been quite open about her desire for a monogamous relationship for quite a while now - especially to Marten.  No more fucking for fun's sake, she wants something more.  That's why it's didn't seem weird when she talked to Dora right after the date with Jim.  Her reaction is all due to the fact that she doesn't want to just sleep with Dora, she wants a relationship with her.  She basically had a chance to bring up the idea, and turned it down.  Her desire for monogamy had been well established at this point, so it all made sense.

Speaking of Dora's date with Jim - looking back, it's interesting how comparatively demurely she dressed, compared to how she dressed for her date with Tai.  Talk about tailoring your look for the situation  :)

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

A friend at work once offered to get me a Hello Kitty sweatband on the condition that I wear it during my first marathon.

Naturally, I accepted.

Unfortunately, she did not find one in time. ):
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

it doesn't feel organic at all. It feels more like Dora going out with her because why the hell not?

Exactly. This is a slice of life comic, and sometimes life is like that - doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.

You misinterpreted what I meant. I meant it feels like Dora was put with Tai just because, not because I believe real life isn't like that. Hope that clarified.

As for today's current strip, Gabby is rapidly becoming one of my favorite newer cast members added to the comic. Hope to see more of her!  :-D

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

As for today's current strip, Annette is rapidly becoming one of my favorite newer cast members added to the comic. Hope to see more of her!  :-D
Wow, you're fast, given that it's the first time she appears in the comic and said only three words.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Maybe there are lingering traces of the cultural idea of addressing teachers with "respect language"?
"Miss Gabby" sounds strange, like a servant addressing the daughter of the house, but possibly it is an awkward compromise between the <title><surname> (or <surname><title> where I come from) traditional between student and teacher, and the "Call me Gabby" that Gabby-the-TA probably insisted upon.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Would someone please explain why RTTG is wearing her pajama bottoms to class??!!

Is that weird? At my first college, people wore PJ bottoms to class fairly often (including me). Also to be fair, we don't know that they're going to class.

I thought maybe it was a very light fanny pat, hopefully between friends.

It kinda looks like the girls might've been holding hands before Gabby spoke to one of them.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

As for today's current strip, Annette is rapidly becoming one of my favorite newer cast members added to the comic. Hope to see more of her!  :-D
Wow, you're fast, given that it's the first time she appears in the comic and said only three words.

lol My brain was on auto-pilot from work and I typed Annette even though I was referring to Gabby.  My bad!  :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh Claire.
No, it's "Eau Claire"...

[/Wisconsin]

A river runs through her?

And does that mean she is the most nonsensical being in the known Universe: the Blugold???
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2012, 16:42 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

And does that mean she is the most nonsensical being in the known Universe: the Blugold[/]???
She might come from outer space: "Au claire de la lune".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's a joke only people familiar with the UW System and the WIAC would understand.
Just another Joe like 46

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic

Sorry, what does ""I TA them", mean? I've not heard that phrase before.
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Is that weird? At my first college, people wore PJ bottoms to class fairly often (including me). Also to be fair, we don't know that they're going to class.

I thought maybe it was a very light fanny pat, hopefully between friends.

It kinda looks like the girls might've been holding hands before Gabby spoke to one of them.

I think it is just a matter of depth separating the characters.  RTTG is a few steps ahead and is turning back.  Defo not a butt pat as it is the outter part of her hand facing us I think, not the palm of her hand.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I think I may have patted a bottom with the back of my hand once or twice. Not as pleasant as the usual way. But I too may be misreading the depth.

TA in this usage, if I understand correctly, is a transitive verb made out of the phrase "teaching assistant," similar to  "ship" and "shipping," in forum usage a transitive verb from "relationship."

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic

TA in this usage, if I understand correctly, is a transitive verb made out of the phrase "teaching assistant," similar to  "ship" and "shipping," in forum usage a transitive verb from "relationship."

Thanks! I kind of thought that's what Jeph was getting at, but I didn't know if it was an American term so I guess I over thought it a bit :P

Answered earlier in this thread.

Sorry, I must have head-up-ass disease because for some reason I thought the convo about today's strip started on the 3rd page :)
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

it doesn't feel organic at all. It feels more like Dora going out with her because why the hell not?

Exactly. This is a slice of life comic, and sometimes life is like that - doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.

You misinterpreted what I meant. I meant it feels like Dora was put with Tai just because, not because I believe real life isn't like that. Hope that clarified.

Except that "just because" is often an "organic" motivation for things taking place.

The dynamics of Tai hooking up with Dora, at the base level, don't seem, to me, all that different from Dora hooking up with Marten. Faye and Marten are a thing, they break up, Dora (Faye's boss?) picks up the slack, new relationship. This is the reverse order of same mechanics.

Different people, different circumstances? Well yes, obviously, and it's happening in a shorter span of time. More contrived? Not particularly, no, in that having a limited cast of interacting characters means most things will be contrived on some level simply because of the limitations in place.

There's nothing wrong with disliking the relationship or the arc - we all have our favorites and preferences. As far as the writing goes, though, it's no more or less "believable" than the earlier relationships in the strip from where I sit.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Erm.

What?

I can't tell if you're being serious or using a parallel poorly, but Marten and Faye were never together....not even close.

Tova

• coprophage

I can't tell if you're being serious or using a parallel poorly, but Marten and Faye were never together....not even close.

My interpretation of Shjade's post is that the common factor in both relationships is that, prior to each relationship starting, the initiator in each case was unable to make a move because the object of their affections was interested in someone else at the time (even though in one case the relationship never actually got started).

But their interest was obvious to the reader each time, even though they could not immediately act on it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

New strip up!  Geez, how strong is Faye, anyways?  Could she be Power Girl in disguise?

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication

I knew it, but I didn't want to post lest I jinx it. 

Faye's why I keep coming back to this strip.  She is The Best.

Tova

• coprophage

Well, that worked out a lot better for Angus than at least some of us were expecting.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Faye and Marten were not touching, but were in a closely bound orbit. Faye hinted more than once that she reciprocated Marten's feelings.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Hmmmm

Would that qualify as "Rage Sex'   :-D

I wonder if Angus will have bruises?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

My interpretation of Shjade's post is that the common factor in both relationships is that, prior to each relationship starting, the initiator in each case was unable to make a move because the object of their affections was interested in someone else at the time (even though in one case the relationship never actually got started).

But their interest was obvious to the reader each time, even though they could not immediately act on it.

This. There's a reason I said Faye and Marten were "a thing" without being specific as to exactly what that thing was. Whatever it was, Dora (Faye's boss) couldn't reasonably make a move on Marten until it was settled.

Edit: ohno my precious lurker status has been compromised ohnooo
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

I knew it, but I didn't want to post lest I jinx it. 

Faye's why I keep coming back to this strip.  She is The Best.

quoted for motherfucking Angusfucking truth

that last panel was just like simultaneous "HahahahaWOO" and "awww <3~" (yes the tilde is included)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Probably.  I just hope his eyes uncross...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

If QC was a bit more cartoony in its art style, Angus would probably have a fair few stars circling his head right now. :P

As a side note: No specials on the blackboard? I bet if Dora put the hammer brand of banana smoothie up there, she'd make a killing.

Tova

• coprophage

It's probably on the secret menu.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Yeah. He can't go to work like that.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Yeah. He can't go to work like that.
Somehow, I think walking is out of the question...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Oh god she broke Angus,

My god, I've never seen someone go cross eyed after sex.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Angry sex is never best sex.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Oh god she broke Angus,

And you can bet he enjoyed it.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

My god, I've never seen someone go cross eyed after sex.
Seen it?  Hell, I've been the person who went cross-eyed after sex.  It's an awesome thing - a sign that your world just got r-o-c-k-e-d.

Nah, this wasn't angry sex.  Angry sex is what she had with Sven, I'm sure, at times.  She's not angry AT Angus, so it's not really angry sex per se.  Besides, it's not she's really mad at anyone, she's just got some pent-up energy to work off.  It's like when people go work out or run or go cycling when they need to "work off' whatever they're feeling.  Catharsis through physical exertion is the name of the game - and sex is a great way to make it happen.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Rage sex in this case, I believe.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Well, there are definitely worse ways to start the day.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Oooo.  Rage sex.  Careful, Faye.  Too much rage sex or too strong rage sex can put a man's jewels in some serious discomfort for awhile. :cry:  Been there before.  It can really hurt.

Anyway, I think there's a difference between contrived and forced.  I think forced is a little better word.  Contrived harkens more to poor writing usually.  When you say forced, I tend to think more within the bounds of the actual story and interpretations of characters and motivations.  Again, it'd be more natural to me or more interesting if Dora had been proactive in choosing someone under her own will without being reeled in with a sucker punch of compliments.  That's just my own personal preference though.  I'll try and refrain from going on about Dora/Tai stuff though until we actual get a more firm grasp of the direction they're going in.  I just hope we slip into a new arc after this week though and push their relationship to the back burner.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

New strip up!  Geez, how strong is Faye, anyways?  Could she be Power Girl in disguise?
Somehow I always imagine her as Chun-Li, with kikoken powered by excess rage.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Somehow I always imagine her as Chun-Li, with kikoken powered by excess rage.

Definitely a better choice.  Good god did they put some massive things on Chun-Li.  Totally forgot.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Now What?

Dora's side of the story - to Faye.    17 (30.9%)
Dora's side - to Hannelore!    1 (1.8%)
Dora's side - to MARTEN!!!    7 (12.7%)
The Next Day - and everyone pretends that nothing happened.    2 (3.6%)
Faye gives Tai the 3rd degree.    1 (1.8%)
Faye sees Marten and Tai on the couch...    0 (0%)
...and breaks up with ANGUS????    2 (3.6%)
Sven realizes Dora's problem - the Bianchi Curse towards Women!    5 (9.1%)
Marigold goes on a date!    6 (10.9%)
Pintsize blows something up!    2 (3.6%)
New Meme Waffles! In both Spathe Ham and Banana Smoothie Flavors!    2 (3.6%)
And now, for something completely different.    10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55
Just another Joe like 46

Zemyla

• Not quite a lurker

Wait, is Faye a Minecraft character?

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Wait, is Faye a Minecraft character?

Yeah, everything about her is secretly square, The reason Angus is cross eyed is because he got smacked in the head with a sharp edge of Faye's left boob.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Inb4 someone making cross-eyed Angus his avatar.

edit:
Btw... whatever happened to Tai's
anchor tattoo? It seems to have disappeared in more recent strips. ... °O
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2012, 07:32 by Soulsynger »
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Carl-E

• Awakened

It was a temporary one? 

It was white, and shallow, and so it faded? 

It's higher on her shoulder, so it only shows in tank tops? 

Jeph's forgotten all about it? 

All of the above? 

None of the above? 

Some of the above? 

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Or ONE of the above???

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Is it more or less likely that the damage she sustained in that car accident was more extensive than previously intimated and that one or more of her limbs are actually partially robotic?

Yeah we do have Clinton who leaves the cover off as a statement, but we don't know what other options are available, or how realistic they are…

Meta edit: on tattoos; perhaps it's a technological issue? What if "modern" tattoos in QCland are battery powered and fade if you forget to recharge them. And Tai can't afford the fancy recharger bed so she has to use the patches which are uncomfortable and annoying.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened

Oooh, a light up anchor? 

I like it. 

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

On another note: Faye's scar?

Carl-E

• Awakened

Under the forearm crossing the chest to adjust the bra.  We saw the top of it peeking from her tank top here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up