• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And Yet Another MOTW Poll:

So how'd your date last night go? Pretty well, I think... "You think?"
- 0 (0%)
I can tell Tai's completely infatuated with me already... I don't really feel that way about her yet and-
- 0 (0%)
YOU KNEW THAT!  If it was gonna be a problem, you shouldn't have agreed to go out in the first place!
- 0 (0%)
I KNEW THIS was a BAD IDEA. You're not ready to date, and you're screwing up again...
- 0 (0%)
...And if you had let me FINISH MY SENTENCE... She's so cute it's gonna be hard to hold out.
- 0 (0%)
I... you... What am I supposed to do with all this surplus rage now?
- 1 (1.9%)
Annette and RTTG meet up with "Miss Gabby"
- 0 (0%)
Marten can't believe they were froshes at Smif! "They all look like kids to me these days."
- 0 (0%)
Gabby: "How old do I look to you?" Marten: "Oh you're definitely college age."
- 0 (0%)
Claire: "What about me?" With that bag - 8th grade?
- 0 (0%)
I AM TWENTY-FOUR AND THIS IS VINTAGE (Bonercat bag FTW!)
- 1 (1.9%)
Claire reads off the order list; Hannelore: "It'll be a couple minutes. I have to go wash off the hammer."
- 1 (1.9%)
Tai's cute! I'm glad. Where's Faye? "She had to go work off some excess rage.
- 0 (0%)
Crosseyed Angus! "I'm not complaining, but what brought that on?"
- 4 (7.7%)
"It was either that or punch a tree 'til it exploded, and the park service is still mad at me for last time."
- 5 (9.6%)
Maritza Campos Guest Comic! Marten breaks Hannelore's mind! "fwip"
- 0 (0%)
Angus shows some concern: "We didn't, like, DISTURB you just now, did we?" "What? No."
- 0 (0%)
That's good. We were, uh, pretty loud and- "I didn't DISTURB YOU last night, did I? Because MAN."
- 1 (1.9%)
VRRRRR SHLUP SHLUP SHLUP RRRRR WEEE OH YEAH BABY PFFTHBLTH UNF UNF UNF MMM YEAH
- 27 (51.9%)
I was just goin' CRAZY. On my GENITALS.
- 8 (15.4%)
That's, uh, a little more information than I needed to-
- 0 (0%)
WELL MAYBE WE DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT EVERY TIME ONE OF US IS DOING SEX STUFF
- 0 (0%)
Marigold! I was in the room!
- 4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2271-75 (10-14 September 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 63352 times)

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Sweet Tits dating Dora would work though, She's got Sweet Tits.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

And whatever will everyone do if Dora and Tai are a long-running couple, if Dora's passion does build after the second and third date and they surpass even Faye and Angus for longevity?  :psyduck:

They will just say that the writing lacks credibility.

They can afford to be self-assured, don't worry.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ummmkay

• Curry sauce

to me, it's totally believable. other folks have posted about real-life situations where person A REALLY likes person B, and person B isn't super into it. that happens. sometimes person B shuts it down so as not to hurt person A. sometimes person B decides to go for it and see what happens. both of those are realistic scenarios!

i think some people are confusing "i don't like this pairing/don't think the characters are handling this well/don't think this will work out" with "this is not a believable way for people to act". people don't always do the "right" thing! sometimes people do stupid shit and other people get hurt. sometimes things look like they are going to crash and burn but then they don't, and hey, it was worth the risk after all! if the characters did everything right in every situation and everything always worked out perfectly, reading a comic about them would be pointless and probably irritating.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I think it's interesting. I'm lucky that Jeph finds it interesting too and has decided to write about it.

*buys another shirt*

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I'm not being that guy.

Many others agree that Hanners needs to be in at least 30% of strips.  Excuse me for having a favorite character that I really really enjoy reading.  The way she's written, it'd impossible to get tired of her.  And sue me, but Tai really isn't my favorite character.  I got turned off early.

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

to me, it's totally believable. other folks have posted about real-life situations where person A REALLY likes person B, and person B isn't super into it. that happens. sometimes person B shuts it down so as not to hurt person A. sometimes person B decides to go for it and see what happens. both of those are realistic scenarios!

i think some people are confusing "i don't like this pairing/don't think the characters are handling this well/don't think this will work out" with "this is not a believable way for people to act". people don't always do the "right" thing! sometimes people do stupid shit and other people get hurt. sometimes things look like they are going to crash and burn but then they don't, and hey, it was worth the risk after all! if the characters did everything right in every situation and everything always worked out perfectly, reading a comic about them would be pointless and probably irritating.

I'll say this is a wrong assumption. Everyone knows that love is blind and makes people do stupid things. No one is debating that. What we are debating is whether this pairing even logically makes sense based off past interactions that Tai and Dora have had in the past. There is nothing pointing in the direction of Tai and Dora becoming romantically involved outside of Dora flirting with Tai occasionally and Tai confessing how much she wants to bone Dora and her infatuation with her. I could go on but you all get the point.

Of course, the people who like this current pairing are going to start accusing people of casting doom and gloom because "we don't like it." I don't like it because it makes no sense and feels shoe-horned, not because I have something out for Tai or Dora.  :roll:

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I'll say this is a wrong assumption. Everyone knows that love is blind and makes people do stupid things. No one is debating that. What we are debating is whether this pairing even logically makes sense based off past interactions that Tai and Dora have had in the past. There is nothing pointing in the direction of Tai and Dora becoming romantically involved outside of Dora flirting with Tai occasionally and Tai confessing how much she wants to bone Dora and her infatuation with her. I could go on but you all get the point.

Of course, the people who like this current pairing are going to start accusing people of casting doom and gloom because "we don't like it." I don't like it because it makes no sense and feels shoe-horned, not because I have something out for Tai or Dora:roll:

Agreed.  Other than the nut jobs (of which hardly even post here to be relevant anyway) no one hates characters in QC.  They all have good points.  Some of us don't particularly care for this character or that one as opposed to other.

Tora brought up even if it is long lasting that we'll somehow cast it as bad writing.  No. 

I don't particularly care for others casting such assumptions about others.  Those of us who just don't see this or how we really got here are just that.  Confused as to how we got here based on our interpretations of Jeph's writing.  I don't like doom and gloom junk. 

I WANT to believe.  I just dont' buy something that seems manufactured in its current form. 

If you want to know why I see Dora's interactions as sisterly lacking that true and hard sexual and romantic attraction, I'll go at it again.  One reason why I need to see it that was is to preserve Dora's own appeal during her relationship with Marten and her interactions with Tai.  But I'll refrain unless you really want to know.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The 30% joke is because of her perceived contract with QC, not due to anything else.  :-)

The primary reason why this doesn't "seem right" is because we have never seen Dora on this end of a relationship - the pursued instead of the pursuer. What really didn't help was that Tai's decision to go talk to Dora was made very suddenly, and after very little forethought.

The arc before all this was Marten training the interns while she was sitting back, getting high and watching Adventure Time, for cryin' out loud. The only time it suddenly became Dora-focused was when she ended up back at Faye and Marten's place, and Dora came over. No buildup, save a little soliloquy from her in 2214.

I think that if, in Tai and Marten's ensuing conversations, Tai would have been a little more revealing towards Marten about her desire to want to settle in to a monogamous relationship, it would have made a bit more sense.

However, she was a little bit over-hung after she made the decision - so it might be the wine talking. Which makes us all see this relationship as what happened to Marten and Vicki. ("Life-altering decisions should never be made while drunk, dummy")
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ummmkay

• Curry sauce

i guess what i was trying to say (perhaps not very well) is that to me, it DOES make sense for things to have progressed this way. tai has been pretty obvious about being into dora for quite a while now. i actually agree with the people who have said that it doesn't seem like there's a romantic vibe from dora's side. but i do know, and have seen a lot of real-life relationships, where someone is enjoying being pursued, and enjoying the feeling you get when somebody is really into you, and then going along with dates, etc, maybe even into a relationship, because (perhaps subconsciously) they just like feeling wanted. especially someone as massively insecure as dora. and then later they might realize, you know what, i just talked myself into thinking i had feelings for that person when i really didn't. however, it does seem like dora is trying to figure things out so hopefully she'll be serious about that and not just fling caution to the winds. 

orrrrrr perhaps i'm just projecting my own experiences onto fictional characters and i'm totally wrong about all of this. wouldn't be the first time.  :roll:  sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong way! wasn't my intention

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Of course, the people who like this current pairing are going to start accusing people of casting doom and gloom because "we don't like it." I don't like it because it makes no sense and feels shoe-horned, not because I have something out for Tai or Dora:roll:

Agreed.  Other than the nut jobs (of which hardly even post here to be relevant anyway) no one hates characters in QC.  They all have good points.  Some of us don't particularly care for this character or that one as opposed to other.

Tora brought up even if it is long lasting that we'll somehow cast it as bad writing.  No. 

I don't particularly care for others casting such assumptions about others.  Those of us who just don't see this or how we really got here are just that.  Confused as to how we got here based on our interpretations of Jeph's writing.  I don't like doom and gloom junk. 

I WANT to believe.  I just dont' buy something that seems manufactured in its current form. 

If you want to know why I see Dora's interactions as sisterly lacking that true and hard sexual and romantic attraction, I'll go at it again.  One reason why I need to see it that was is to preserve Dora's own appeal during her relationship with Marten and her interactions with Tai.  But I'll refrain unless you really want to know.

Interlude

• Plantmonster

I continue to be surprised at all the quite self-assured prophets of doom hovering about Tai and Dora's relationship. Tell me, o sages, did you read this many portents and omens coming off of Marten and Dora, or from Marten and Padma? It's an honest question, or at least the part about Marten and Padma is: I allowed myself to get invested in that relationship (a mistake when reading anything fictional), and may have missed telltale omens of its impending immolation.

There were people who did not like Marten and Padma-- but I think a lot of people were really rooting for Marten to be happy. People want Dora (and Tai) to be happy, too, but such a big deal has been made about her not being ready to date that her dating is not necessarily perceived as best for her happiness. At the moment, at least.

Personally, I never really agreed with that. Yes, sometimes you need to step away from dating while you work on yourself. But you'll never date again if you wait until everything is "fixed." Not going to happen. An insecure person is not going to become a secure person in a matter of weeks, months-- if ever. People yelling (okay, most of them were not yelling) at Dora about how she is not ready for dating is probably what pushed along her decision to say yes to Tai. If my friends were making me feel like something was so wrong with me that I could not date, then I had someone tell me how wonderful I am and that I SHOULD take the jump and HE/SHE wanted to date me...I'd probably say yes.

Honestly, Dora's issues are not THAT bad. She has them, sure. But I do think it's nice for her to see someone believing in her, too. It may not be the best reason to be dating someone, but it sure is a hard thing to resist... If she treats Tai with respect and consideration, I don't see anything wrong with them dating. I don't think it's a "believable" connection. I personally do not like this pairing at all. But I do understand how it could happen.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

The 30% joke is because of her perceived contract with QC, not due to anything else.  :-)

The primary reason why this doesn't "seem right" is because we have never seen Dora on this end of a relationship - the pursued instead of the pursuer. What really didn't help was that Tai's decision to go talk to Dora was made very suddenly, and after very little forethought.

The arc before all this was Marten training the interns while she was sitting back, getting high and watching Adventure Time, for cryin' out loud. The only time it suddenly became Dora-focused was when she ended up back at Faye and Marten's place, and Dora came over. No buildup, save a little soliloquy from her in 2214.

I think that if, in Tai and Marten's ensuing conversations, Tai would have been a little more revealing towards Marten about her desire to want to settle in to a monogamous relationship, it would have made a bit more sense.

However, she was a little bit over-hung after she made the decision - so it might be the wine talking. Which makes us all see this relationship as what happened to Marten and Vicki. ("Life-altering decisions should never be made while drunk, dummy")

I didn't even think of that...

That is a strange transition.  Getting high and watching adventure time to trying to get with the gal in therapy over relationship issues.  If you take it that way, then it backs up many of ours point in their being no direct build up. 

With Marten/Dora you had tension almost the entire time until they get together.  You could really tell how obvious that one was going to be.  Not so with Tai/Dora.  Maybe another factor is that Dora was so sure of wanting Marten (and that's the only thing we have to go on) it seems off.

I mean.  Look at this way.  Would Dora seriously consider Tai in a relationship proactively?  I mean, Tai wasn't even on her radar (outside of Tai bringing up a one night stand) until Tai come hard and heavy and had Dora reeling from the lavish attention and I think her innate and powerful desire to be pursued. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

To me, "contrived" would mean Jeph is doing bad art, but "forced" could mean that Tai is pushing things in an unwarranted direction. Tai pushing things is entirely in character.

If they go from a first date to an actual relationship, we'll see whether it seems like a natural story development.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage

I don't particularly care for others casting such assumptions about others.  Those of us who just don't see this or how we really got here are just that.  Confused as to how we got here based on our interpretations of Jeph's writing.

Well, maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but it sounds like you're saying that you think Jeph's writing is inconsistent; in which case, you're already casting it as bad writing.

But if you just mean that you're confused as to how they got to start dating based on their previous behaviour, then I think that ummmkay has described it pretty much along the lines that I was going to, so I won't bother repeating.

Personally, I am quite glad we haven't had yet another "everyone knows they will end up together but them" trope, as we had with Marten and Dora. This storyline is a little more interesting, because it is not abundantly clear where the relationship will go from here. It's a little more interesting, at least from my perspective. YMMV.

P.S. Is my name a bit complicated? It's been bungled a handful of times around here.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dora has been the pursued one in the recent past -- Jim surprised her with his dinner invitation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

But with Tai and Dora...I don't think I've ever seen this many people proselytizing that a relationship is doomed in QC forum history. Does this just come from personal dislike of the relationship, or is this just expectation of relationship failure based on Jeph's prior expertise in crafting flawed relationships?

Actually it seems to me that Jeph is following a fairly realistic pattern in most people's lives, namely that most romantic relationships usually end in a breakup. Think about it; how many people you know who are still with their first boyfriend/girlfriend? I'm betting not many at all. Relationships end, couples break up, it's a fact of life that Jeph seems to be reflecting in the comic. Now if the comic ends with Dora and Tai still together and going strong, I'll be like "Wow, they beat the odds." Otherwise, I consider them doomed. Remember, Dora and Marten were together for a quite awhile, both in comic time and our time, before their relationship went belly up. All I can say is I hope Dora and Tai have some good times (and we get to enjoy them as well), before the end, and I hope they can remain friends afterward.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

it doesn't feel organic at all. It feels more like Dora going out with her because why the hell not?

Exactly. This is a slice of life comic, and sometimes life is like that - doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage

Breaking news: Marigold's "favourite character" status is under threat!

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Breaking news: Marigold's "favourite character" status is under threat!

No! How can this be!
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

D'aaaaaaw... freckles on the neck... the urge to write "OMNOMNOM" in italics is nigh-overwhelming! °O

And: YAY for bringing back the light-hearted witty comments. (Albeit not music-related in this case... what gives?)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer

"What? Those were first-years. Freshmen. I TA them."

What is TA?
Tit Assault? Temporary Annihilation? Therefore: Australian? Time Agent?  Tai Analysis?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

What is TA?
Tit Assault? Temporary Annihilation? Therefore: Australian? Time Agent?  Tai Analysis?
travel agency? tangible agenda? trache assist?

Or could it be "teacher's assistant"?  (srsly, no idea)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

What is TA?

Teaching Assistant.

Basically as Colleges get larger and more kids attend, it becomes necessary to allow graduate students to fill in for teachers on introductory courses.

Here is a better description: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/archives/000022.htm

Tova

• coprophage

I didn't know either, and decided to google.

And got the same link as Mordhaus posted above.

I kind of just scanned over it, figuring it would be something like that, without having actually figured out exactly what it stood for. Then totally forgot it was even there.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Yup. Gotta make them graduate students do something useful to earn their keep (been there, done it). They(we) also get some experience teaching at college level, and more often than not enjoy doing it (breaks the monotone of dissertation research/reading). Win-win, largely.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Ahahahaha the sad thing is Marten is right, poor Claire. That is a terrible bag.

I continue to like dat Gabby.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Oh Claire.  Dear.

I don't think I've see a college aged white girl with a hello kitty bag.  Asians?  Definitely.

Vintage?  Only if Hello Kitty has gone out of style in Japan.  I'm afraid it hasn't.

And agreed on college freshman.  Little pricks looked younger and younger when I was in college only a year ago and they got nastier and nastier attitudes too.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well, if Marten is still wearing the Hello Kitty belt, he doesn't have a skinny-jeaned leg to stand on.

[Even though that's not Hello Kitty on Claire's purse, but Boner(less)cat.]
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Oh Claire.  Dear.

I don't think I've see a college aged white girl with a hello kitty bag.  Asians?  Definitely.
I have. Though she is obsessed with Asian cultures, so I guess it's not surprising.

Vintage?  Only if Hello Kitty has gone out of style in Japan.  I'm afraid it hasn't.

And agreed on college freshman.  Little pricks looked younger and younger when I was in college only a year ago and they got nastier and nastier attitudes too.
And it seems like every year the college freshmen get more numerous, and dumber. I practically can't walk anywhere anymore without getting jostled by dozens of them who are staring at their cell phones while walking.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Now What?

Dora's side of the story - to Faye.    17 (37.8%)
Dora's side - to Hannelore!    1 (2.2%)
Dora's side - to MARTEN!!!    6 (13.3%)
The Next Day - and everyone pretends that nothing happened.    2 (4.4%)
Faye gives Tai the 3rd degree.    1 (2.2%)
Faye sees Marten and Tai on the couch...    0 (0%)
...and breaks up with ANGUS????    2 (4.4%)
Sven realizes Dora's problem - the Bianchi Curse towards Women!    3 (6.7%)
Marigold goes on a date!    4 (8.9%)
Pintsize blows something up!    1 (2.2%)
New Meme Waffles! In both Spathe Ham and Banana Smoothie Flavors!    1 (2.2%)
And now, for something completely different.    7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Hopefully this is leading up to a brother and sister encounter.  I suspect Claire and Clinton dislike each other, and will demonstrate as much in an amusing way.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

And it seems like every year the college freshmen get more numerous, and dumber. I practically can't walk anywhere anymore without getting jostled by dozens of them who are staring at their cell phones while walking.
If only those dang kids would stay off your lawn...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Oh Claire.

No, it's "Eau Claire"...

[/Wisconsin]
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Unfortunately or is that fortunately? ..... The opposite corollary is true.
The level of stupidity and ignorance in college freshmen has remained rather consistent with the hurdles presented with college applications.
The truth of the matter is that even though you the observer is not able to discern it, but you have changed quite markedly from what you were when you were a freshman.
More knowledgeable, better read and informed, more used to working in smaller groups or alone.
So it is your personal benchmarks that have changed and not the perceived changes in the younger generation.
aka Them thar kids and their newfangled teleophones and newfangled big band misic ... tarnation ....world's going to hell in a hand basket ....
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Unfortunately or is that fortunately? ..... The opposite corollary is true.
The level of stupidity and ignorance in college freshmen has remained rather consistent with the hurdles presented with college applications.
The truth of the matter is that even though you the observer is not able to discern it, but you have changed quite markedly from what you were when you were a freshman.
More knowledgeable, better read and informed, more used to working in smaller groups or alone.
So it is your personal benchmarks that have changed and not the perceived changes in the younger generation.
aka Them thar kids and their newfangled teleophones and newfangled big band misic ... tarnation ....world's going to hell in a hand basket ....

Disagree entirely.  I thought this of my fellow freshman as a freshman.  And as you get higher in college, each year they get worse and it is most certainly glaringly obvious.  Not my own personal benchmarks.  And I'm talking respect.  Case in point.  Student Dining Halls.  Each year the freshman act like worse assholes to the people who make their food, etc etc.  And a growing number that don't know the words "thank you" and "excuse me".  Only thing that changed was my intelligence, not my general human compassion and decency.  Which remained top notch throughout.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Them thar kids and their newfangled teleophones and newfangled big band misic ... tarnation ....world's going to hell in a hand basket ....

You forgot "GET OFFA MY LAWN, DAMMIT!!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course

1.  Faye needs to chill the hell out, there's no excuse for her rage.

2.  Where can I get one of those "vintage" bonercat bags?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

If only those dang kids would stay off your lawn...
I was going to say, it doesn't stop once you enter the workplace, either ... but that's not fair. My last couple years at The Place of Brain Suck featured the usual crop of young'uns, about half of whom were talented and gave a damn. Of the remainder, half did an inoffensive job keeping their desks from blowing away and there were a few -- one especially -- entitled little @$$holes who exhibited all the stereotypes bewailed herein. Since that minority is the loudest, however, that's what we fogeys remember.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Red Tank Top Student stood out for some reason. I truly don't know why -- it must be one of the mysteries of cartooning why some characters look more interesting and real than others.

So far everything that's actually happened between Tai and Dora (Tai infatuated, Tai impulsive, Dora confused) follows from long-rooted foreshadowing and characterization.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Red Tank Top Student stood out for some reason. I truly don't know why -- it must be one of the mysteries of cartooning why some characters look more interesting and real than others.

So far everything that's actually happened between Tai and Dora (Tai infatuated, Tai impulsive, Dora confused) follows from long-rooted foreshadowing and characterization.

Agreed.  She looks intriguing.  May be the hair style.  Can't recall if Jeph has drawn that hair style before.  Could also be the pajama pants.  Yep.  PJs.  Man, that's one thing I miss about college.  The ladies wearing PJs to class, wearing leggings... :angel:

billydaking

• Plantmonster

I didn't even think of that...

That is a strange transition.  Getting high and watching adventure time to trying to get with the gal in therapy over relationship issues.  If you take it that way, then it backs up many of ours point in their being no direct build up. 

With Marten/Dora you had tension almost the entire time until they get together.  You could really tell how obvious that one was going to be.  Not so with Tai/Dora.  Maybe another factor is that Dora was so sure of wanting Marten (and that's the only thing we have to go on) it seems off.

I mean.  Look at this way.  Would Dora seriously consider Tai in a relationship proactively?  I mean, Tai wasn't even on her radar (outside of Tai bringing up a one night stand) until Tai come hard and heavy and had Dora reeling from the lavish attention and I think her innate and powerful desire to be pursued.

That's the thing, really. The readers know Tai better than Dora does. Dora simply knows Tai as Marten's boss-friend who hangs out with them, and probably her perception is that Tai seems nice. Nice person just asked her out. That's how people usually get together. Tai is the instigator of the two of them dating (can we even call it "dating," since they've only been out on one date?), which is unusual for reader since Dora's usually been the proactive one. But Dora's been in an unusual place--she's been taking a long look at the way she's wired. She's in a weird paradox of feelings--more aware and cautious in how she relates to people, but more open to those same people and experiences because she's trying to change her perspective. She's not going to go out of her way and pursue anybody, but she's not turn somebody down simply because she's in therapy or because she didn't think of going out with that person before.

Plus the fact that the younger, somewhat constantly stressed out Tai makes Dora feel a bit more self-confident probably helps a bit subconsciously.

As far as contrived and forced...I utterly disagree with that take. When Tai talked about her college relationships, it was always in the light of her dissatification with them, and she was blunt with her desire for a monogamous relationship (even as she struggled with what that meant). She's has been interested in Dora for a while, and didn't do anything about after Marten and Dora's breakup until both Marten and Dora seemed to have move on. To me, it was obvious that Tai would eventually take this step given where she's been , and know how Tai can be random, it would occur out of the blue. The build-up has been there, it's just been character-driven rather than plot-driven, so it's been spread out over the comic, with the massive Dora-Marten breakup and drama in between (not to mention the long space station story). 

Also...it's been one date. In real life, my friends and I don't stress as much as this board does over one date.

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)

Miss Gabby?

Why not just Gabby?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe there are lingering traces of the cultural idea of addressing teachers with "respect language"?

Dora didn't exactly turn Jim down, but it was something pretty close.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Red Tank Top Student's shirt is a very deep, bright, bold shade of red. Catches the eye.

Also, Gabby's face in the last panel~ x3 Dat face is so adorable for some reason.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Red Tank Top Student appears to be stealing Annette's wallet.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I thought maybe it was a very light fanny pat, hopefully between friends.

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Um. Pretty sure it's just perspective. RTTS is behind BT-sS from the "camera view". Her hand is down by her side, prolly next to BT-sS's hip/butt.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

It took me a while to realise what you meant, then remembered that 'fanny' would probably get less of an embarrassed silence around the table wherever you are than it would in the UK.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

altheora

• Not quite a lurker
Pajamallama
« Reply #98 on: 11 Sep 2012, 13:56 »

My friend and I agree.

We want to know more about the girl in the pajamabottoms. She looks so peppy and happy and comfy. :3

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

It took me a while to realise what you meant, then remembered that 'fanny' would probably get less of an embarrassed silence around the table wherever you are than it would in the UK.
You're right, and I'd forgotten. I raised eyebrows in early March when I described a favorite mug from 25 years ago, inscribed "Love is a passing fanny."
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2012, 14:17 by Redball »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up