Poll

And the Moment of the Week would be....

Holy ####nipples that's cold!
- 3 (5.6%)
Watch out for dragonfly larvae!
- 1 (1.9%)
Gonna get my SWIM on
- 0 (0%)
Twenty bucks and I'll let you grab his butt. (I DON'T WANNA GRAB HIS lemme go get my wallet)
- 6 (11.1%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat (Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat) (Muskrat muskrat)
- 17 (31.5%)
BLOOSH! Momo RISES!
- 2 (3.7%)
Gabby wanted me to tell you the hotdogs are ready.
- 0 (0%)
There are RAFTS under the DECK
- 0 (0%)
Sorry we're late. We woulda got here like 3 hours ago but we took a wrong turn.
- 0 (0%)
This is 24 NORTH Pine Island Road. You're lookin' for SOUTH Pine Island Road.
- 0 (0%)
...said the overweight, elderly nudist.
- 4 (7.4%)
And it took you 3 hours to find the right street? (Emily blushes while Tai and Dora roll their eyes)
- 1 (1.9%)
Theeth cookieth are AMATHING. Theriouthly, I'll thell 'em at my thop. (Oh, you!)
- 5 (9.3%)
Card Playing Tai: You sure you don't wanna come with us? (No, no, you young folks have your fun.)
- 4 (7.4%)
You're lucky. This thing seizes up completely if it gets any water in it. (Recommended synthetic covering...)
- 0 (0%)
How'd you lose your hand, anyway? (No, no, I don't mind talking about it.)
- 0 (0%)
It all started back when I was thirteen years old(He jacked off so much his hand withered into a claw...)
- 7 (13%)
That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't that make your hand stronger?
- 1 (1.9%)
At the very worst, it might lead to some sort of repetitive stress injury.
- 0 (0%)
Necrosis seems highly- IT WAS A FIREWORKS ACCIDENT
- 3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2301-2305 (22-26 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 84612 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Muskrat?

Muskrat!    0 (0%)
Muskrat muskrat.    0 (0%)
Muskrat muskrat MUSKRAT.    3 (4.2%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat MUSKRAT.    4 (5.6%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat MUSKRAT.    2 (2.8%)
Muskrat muskrat MUSKRAT MUSKRAT muskrat muskrat.    0 (0%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat MUSKRAT muskrat MUSKRAT MUSKRAT.    5 (6.9%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat.    16 (22.2%)
Muskrat?    2 (2.8%)
MUSKRAT???    2 (2.8%)
MUSKRAT!    3 (4.2%)
Yes, this poll makes as much sense as the strip.    21 (29.2%)
AND WE LOVE IT!    14 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm just putting up the MOTW poll because we haven't had one in a while - despite the fact that I already know who's going to win.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

the matter of water was simply... ...hand waved.

Even full-time SF authors (at the Asimov level, I mean) resort to hand-waving at times; it could get very tedious if they weren't allowed to!

Asimov even wrote a poem about hand waving. I think it's called "I just make them up, see?" It's in my box of treasured old books presently in storage/transit.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

it occurs to me that jacking off without the recommended synthetic covering would be rather uncomfortable.

that is not a line of thought i had ever expected or desired to explore. damn you mr jacques, damn you and your hilarious comic.

Even full-time SF authors (at the Asimov level, I mean) resort to hand-waving at times; it could get very tedious if they weren't allowed to!

Asimov even wrote a poem about hand waving. I think it's called "I just make them up, see?" It's in my box of treasured old books presently in storage/transit.

"And I say,
Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad, we're making shit up as we wish
The Klingons and the Romulans pose no threat to us
'Cause if we find we're in a bind we just make some shit up"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Oh. I've never heard it referred to just as a "tail" before.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

As for today's strip, I liked how this was played absolutely straight by Momo and Marigold.
Yes! And Claire? You're not fifteen any more... I'm not sure if it was Jeph's intention but Claire's frozen expression from panels three to four says to me that nobody is laughing.
[/quote]

If you look closely at her eyes, she's looking at Mari and Momo in panel three, and then looks over at Clinton in panel four. I think it was less a joke for everyone to laugh at and more a chance to fuck with her brother.

it occurs to me that jacking off without the recommended synthetic covering would be rather uncomfortable.

that is not a line of thought i had ever expected or desired to explore. damn you mr jacques, damn you and your hilarious comic.

"And I say,
Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad, we're making shit up as we wish
The Klingons and the Romulans pose no threat to us
'Cause if we find we're in a bind we just make some shit up"

I love you so much right now.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2305...

1. I liked that Momo is wearing a (shallows) diving suit rather than a swimsuit, feels very appropriate for her.

2. Aw, no swimsuit Marigold.  And here I was mildly hoping that we the forum-cast would have something to "Daaaaaaaaaang" over, for the weekend.  Perhaps later in story-arc.

3. Claire's comedic long-pause expression for panels #3 - #4 make the (early) punchline work so well.

4. @Schmorgluck...  Woo!  "going pendrake"!  I'm a forum "style" now! :-D

5. @Carl-E...  Number 2281: Hand It To Him is what you were asking for, I believe.

Archive Jockey, away!   *long trailing jet-pack plume-trail into the sky*
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2012, 20:40 by pendrake »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Thankee, Pendrake! 

Oh, and in mathematics, "handwaving" is used when the details of a proof are tedious to the presenter, and incomprehensible to the viewers. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Momo's swimsuit looks like a rashie to me. Very sensible for swimming in the open for a human, but I'm not sure why she would need one, being presumably immune to cold, jellyfish stings (Australia, along with all the deadly spiders and snakes, is also home to lethal jellyfish), U/V light (unless it would break down her skin as it does many plastics), and so on.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

If UV was a problem for Momo, going outside at all probably wouldn't happen; many cloths are transparent to a wide range of wavelengths outside the visual spectrum, after all.

As for the suit itself, quite possibly she wanted to cover as many of the 'joints' in her dermal layer as possible, just in case.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

If UV was a problem for Momo, going outside at all probably wouldn't happen; many cloths are transparent to a wide range of wavelengths outside the visual spectrum, after all.
"All or nothing" thinking is silly. UV is a problem for people, and we go outside all the time. "All or nothing" thinking produces two extremes on the scale of stupidity:
  • -ZOMG! UV is deadly! Don't go out ever without SPF2000 and a burkha!!!
  • +ZOMG! UV is lovely! If you don't sunbathe you'll get rickets!!!
Of course both positions are generally only found as strawmen (usually on the internet), but still... :psyduck:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Interestingly, when Marten pulled her out of the lake, she had ponytails.

That would be what prompted my question. I was all "Wha? Why'd she have perfectly-formed (not even wet-looking) ponytails when she came out of the water, but not now?"

What's her hair made out of, anyway?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Interestingly, when Marten pulled her out of the lake, she had ponytails.

That would be what prompted my question. I was all "Wha? Why'd she have perfectly-formed (not even wet-looking) ponytails when she came out of the water, but not now?"

What's her hair made out of, anyway?

The stuff that Chiyo-chan has.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Easier to dry.  8-)
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Ah, siblings.
I've certainly not ever done anything like that to MY brothers, nope nope nope.

Toe

Easier to dry.  8-)

I don't think that's even necessary for Momo. I mean, in panel 1, she's got drops of water all over her, but by panel 2 they're already gone. She's probably got a hydrophobic coating of some sort. Her old chassis, at least, was "engineered to be highly stain-resistant."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Holy ####nipples that's cold!    1 (3.3%)
Watch out for dragonfly larvae!    1 (3.3%)
Twenty bucks and I'll let you grab his butt. (I DON'T WANNA GRAB HIS lemme go get my wallet)    2 (6.7%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat (Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat) (Muskrat muskrat)    12 (40%)
...said the overweight, elderly nudist.    4 (13.3%)
Theeth cookieth are AMATHING. Theriouthly, I'll thell 'em at my thop. (Oh, you!)    4 (13.3%)
Card Playing Tai: You sure you don't wanna come with us? (No, no, you young folks have your fun.)    2 (6.7%)
It all started back when I was thirteen years old(He jacked off so much his hand withered into a claw...)    3 (10%)
Necrosis seems highly- IT WAS A FIREWORKS ACCIDENT    1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

That was .............

Hmmmmmmmm

Nope, that was definitely cruel and churlish Claire

I liked it.     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Easier to dry.  8-)

I don't think that's even necessary for Momo. I mean, in panel 1, she's got drops of water all over her, but by panel 2 they're already gone. She's probably got a hydrophobic coating of some sort. Her old chassis, at least, was "engineered to be highly stain-resistant."

Though her hair is probably made out of another material, also synthetic. And since it likely has strands like normal hair, it would likely take longer to dry than her 'skin' (though admittedly probably not as long as human hair can take).

Ph2

Easier to dry.  8-)

Though her hair is probably made out of another material, also synthetic. And since it likely has strands like normal hair, it would likely take longer to dry than her 'skin' (though admittedly probably not as long as human hair can take).

Could just be normal old synthetic hair.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Momo should be less afraid of UV than humans are. Her skin can be replaced without that intermediate stage of hurting and peeling, and without that pesky risk of skin cancer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Easier to dry.  8-)

Could just be normal old synthetic hair.

That's what I had in mind, actually :-)

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

I dunno, I figure Momo will be shown casually re-attaching her detachable pigtails to the sides of her head.
SQUEEZE BOX

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Just make sure you don't take them off the wrong way or she'll go through a forced reformat.

Chiyo-chan...OUT~
Worry Hat, Engage!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I would probably automatically take the ponytails out of my hair after swimming as well. Having them up keeps them out of your eyes, and if they're fastened tightly they'd stay in the same shape anyway, but if you leave them fastened up wet they dry in a funny shape. I'd assume that's true of synthetic hair as well.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Momo should be less afraid of UV than humans are. Her skin can be replaced without that intermediate stage of hurting and peeling, and without that pesky risk of skin cancer.

And she's dishwasher-safe, too. Top rack, anyway. Gentle cycle.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Yeah, but don't plastics degrade over time in direct sunlight?

And she's dishwasher-safe, too. Top rack, anyway. Gentle cycle.

Nononono, it's better this way.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Speaking of hair, remember this?  Apparently it could be much more terrifying. (#6)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Momo has now appeared in 100 different strips since her first appearance in 1298. Not bad for just over 1,000 strips.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

And my, how she's grown! 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Yes, they do. So does skin. I can't unzip my skin and step into a replacement. Momo can.

Come to think of it, she could have several skin suits, and wear a different one while one is in the dishwasher. She could have different colorations for blending in with different ethnic groups.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ph2

Yes, they do. So does skin. I can't unzip my skin and step into a replacement. Momo can.

Come to think of it, she could have several skin suits, and wear a different one while one is in the dishwasher. She could have different colorations for blending in with different ethnic groups.

So she's Ed Gein?
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I somewhat doubt that. I suspect it's more like the Boyfriend Prototype - under all that synthetic skin is a metallic surface.
Just another Joe like 46

Ph2

I somewhat doubt that. I suspect it's more like the Boyfriend Prototype - under all that synthetic skin is a metallic surface.

Maybe Momo is a sexy female robot.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marigirl seems to have overcome her pool party trauma.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I...I forgot about that. Poor Mar-Bear! >.<

Maybe Momo is a sexy female robot.

I...uhh....nope. I got nothin on that.
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Actually, Marigold hasn't gotten into her bathing suit yet. And after munching that hamburger in panel 2, I don't think it'd be a good idea for her to hit the water right away.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Holy ####nipples that's cold!    2 (4.3%)
Watch out for dragonfly larvae!    1 (2.1%)
Twenty bucks and I'll let you grab his butt. (I DON'T WANNA GRAB HIS lemme go get my wallet)    4 (8.5%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat (Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat) (Muskrat muskrat)    16 (34%) <== And here I thought it'd be the first 50% vote winner.
BLOOSH! Momo RISES!    2 (4.3%)
...said the overweight, elderly nudist.    4 (8.5%)
And it took you 3 hours to find the right street? (Emily blushes while Tai and Dora roll their eyes)    1 (2.1%)
Theeth cookieth are AMATHING. Theriouthly, I'll thell 'em at my thop. (Oh, you!)    5 (10.6%)
Card Playing Tai: You sure you don't wanna come with us? (No, no, you young folks have your fun.)    4 (8.5%)
It all started back when I was thirteen years old(He jacked off so much his hand withered into a claw...)    5 (10.6%)
That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't that make your hand stronger?    1 (2.1%)
Necrosis seems highly- IT WAS A FIREWORKS ACCIDENT    2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Momo knew that asking about Clinton's hand was rude. She must still have her social protocol database.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ChaosWolf

Nononono, it's better this way.

:? I have no damn clue how to react to that.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I recommend backing away, slowly. 

ChaosWolf

on a very unrelated sidenote...

"Terminal Onanism" (the comic's title, for those who didn't notice) would make, well, maybe not a cool band name, but might make for a cool album title - though God only knows what the cover art could be.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Marigirl seems to have overcome her pool party trauma.

And now I know what her top in that comic is referring to, as it's what I'm watching through right this weekend.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

@ Paul:

(click to show/hide)
Worry Hat, Engage!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

Don't forget to watch the 2009 additions as well. They flesh out the actual backstory and are rather entertaining as hell. Though that may also be my love of continuity tangles and mind screws.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up