Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jeph, you're awesome.

Indeed!
Quite!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2306-2310 (29 October-2 November 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 71393 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

No, do not begin the shipping.

How can a woman ever be confident that when she gets a positive response to a revealing outfit, that it is not just adolescent enjoyment that it is revealing?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

No, do not begin the shipping.

How can a woman ever be confident that when she gets a positive response to a revealing outfit, that it is not just adolescent enjoyment that it is revealing?

A vast majority of the positives responses are likely to be adolescent enjoyment, but Marten seems to be genuinely intent to confirming Marigold's attractiveness and being a good friend. A Marten/Marigold relationship seems to far fetched to me.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Marigold is definitely looking good in her bathing suit.
How would we know ? Its a Comic. People look drastically different all the time. The only way to know how attractive a person is supposed to be is by examining reactions in the comic itself, not by deciding how much you like the art.

Remember, every person in this comic is virtual. They dont exist in reality. You cant just look at them and say "whow" or "nice" or "meh" or "eww" like in reallife.
Carpe Diem

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Marigold is definitely looking good in her bathing suit.
How would we know ? Its a Comic. People look drastically different all the time. The only way to know how attractive a person is supposed to be is by examining reactions in the comic itself, not by deciding how much you like the art.

Remember, every person in this comic is virtual. They dont exist in reality. You cant just look at them and say "whow" or "nice" or "meh" or "eww" like in reallife.

Why not?

Are we not allowed to express our appreciation for the art, and what it depicts? 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

And what's an imagination good for if I can't find attractiveness, even hotness, in a female comic character, even one drawn with less realism than Jeph's? Janis in A&J, for example? How she's drawn is only a part of the picture.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannng, Marigold! Looking pretty fantastic!

For comic effect, I hope that we get Steve doing a bit of oogling and Cosette doing a bit of jealously freaking out.

ChaosWolf

As a decidedly not-curvy woman, I would like to object to ranking of women based on physical characteristics, but unfortunately I am afraid that I have to agree with your assertion, curvy women are indeed preferable.

My brain went to lesbians with this post.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Poor Marigold.

She's not comfortable with her body, she's a severe otaku where all the girls are samples of sparkly, impossibly doe-eyed perfection, and she's got a bit of a tummy. And that's a *really* skimpy bikini. Of course she's gonna be all self-conscious and think she's terribly unattractive.

I know a woman like this: not classically pretty, boomin' body, extremely shy, very good at her career -- and severe body-image and attractiveness issues, wouldn't get caught dead in a bikini.

That said: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang
SQUEEZE BOX

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

As a decidedly not-curvy woman, I would like to object to ranking of women based on physical characteristics, but unfortunately I am afraid that I have to agree with your assertion, curvy women are indeed preferable.

My brain went to lesbians with this post.

A reasonable and accurate interpretation.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2307...

1. Yay for Marigold, even if she does not realize she just took a big step forward.

2. I also expect much "Daaang"-ing by the other boys, and possibly Dora & Tai.  The latter two might be more entertaining.

3. Artwise, good progression on Marigold's blushing.  Might have been even cuter/amusing if her blushing had extended past her face :evil: .

4. Well Marten may have crashed & burned with with the compliment, but standing there chugging a beer is not exactly a graceful escape either :psyduck: .

5. Ironically, personality-wise, Marten probably would be a good first boyfriend choice for Marigold (but not the reverse, more irony there).  Marigold would need, in a "good" first boyfriend, someone would be patient enough to deal with her (initial) insecurities, a trait Marten has in spades.

I stand by my original statement earlier in story-arc that I do not see Marten getting involved with with any of the library interns (or Marigold, or "Tannelore" :roll: ) at the lake party.

6. I am with Border Reiver's opinion that we are allowed to have opinions, about any form of artwork, comic or gallery.

7. [Bart]: (to Homer) Of course you need other people to tell you that you're cool.
    [Lisa]: (also to Homer) How else would you know...?
          -The Simpsons, Homerpalooza (S07,Ep24)

8. Warning - While you were typing, the long "Daaaaaaaaaang" freight-train has had plenty of time to pass.   You may wish to review your post, and drive forward before you get honked at.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2021, 20:33 by pendrake »

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Marten. Stop talking before Mari's head explodes.

And I concur with all those who've been "DAAANG"ing. Pardon me for saying so about a fictional character, but that swimsuit looks pretty hot on her.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

ink slinger

Girls with super-curvy bodies like Faye and Mar-Bear tend to, um, not really fit into them well? I guess it's probably a matter of not knowing the right size for themselves, but it seems like most curvy girls with bikinis are about to pop out any second. I'd really rather not be flogged by a wayward breast. :P If it is a matter of not knowing your size (which as I said, I suspect it is), then that probably comes from the body-shaming that our culture has shoved upon us

Mostly, this is because bikinis that would fit such women properly aren't easily found at Walmart, or even the local bathing suit store. Something with appropriate cup sizes, support, and possibly even underwire generally has to come from a specialty store (and that's expensive!). There's also the whole thing about most women not knowing their proper cup size. Think you're a DD? Well, maybe you are, but you are more likely an F or G or H! Cup sizes are weird and most non-specialty stores don't really work for large-breasted women.

As my wife tends to suffer from these issues, I have learned to appreciate the inconveniences that she faces almost as much as I appreciate the *ahem* sources of those inconveniences.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

2. I also expect much "Daaang"-ing by the other boys, and possibly Dora & Tai.  The latter two might be more entertaining.
Oh, yeah, I can totally imagine both of them exclaiming "WOAH" at the same time. Then exchange an embarrassed look.

4. Well Marten may have crashed & burned with with the compliment, but standing there chugging a beer is not exactly a graceful escape either :psyduck: .
I'm not sure it's a beer. For one thing, I'm not sure beer cans are commonly in this format in the USA.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

ink slinger

I'm not sure beer cans are commonly in this format in the USA.

It appears to be a standard 355mL can, which is the norm for both canned beer and pop in the US and Canada.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It appears to be a standard 355mL can, which is the norm for both canned beer and pop in the US and Canada.

It's also yellow, which isn't the color of any beer known to the Northeastern US (save Coors Banquet).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

When it comes to curvy or not. I don't know... I noticed for a while now that if I take a good look at the chicks I liked over the years... They share very little in common.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Curvey women > not-curvey women

I dunno...I like curves, but not an abundance of curves.  But then, I like small athletic builds for girls.  Then again, I was cursed with a slim body.  Strength increases, everything else stays the same.

But Marbear....lookin' fine.  Pretty much the hour glass figured, but tapered up top a bit more.  Just wide hips. 

Really wonder what Tai and Dora will have on now.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens

It's also yellow, which isn't the color of any beer known to the Northeastern US (save Coors Banquet).

Perhaps the can is transparent and he's drinking Jarate?
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

This. I'm scrawny through no fault of my own (having the metabolism of a hyperactive ferret tends to lend itself to said scrawniness). I guess I'm immediately sub-par because of it? Personally, I find all body types on women to be interesting, because no two are the same - fat or skinny, no exceptions.

Also, can we please refrain from using that obnoxious tiny text? I hate having to interrupt my read flow by clicking quote, just so I don't miss anything, and frankly I think it's a little inconsiderate to make people do that, just to be able to read the entirety of one's post.

Enough of my bitching, and onto the comic - Yes, Mari is rockin' that bikini. And poor Marten. Poor boy just can't win.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...huh.

I guess I always figured Marigold was chubbier than that...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Well done to Jeph getting a comic up, good that he seems to be safe.

Well done to Marigold! It must have taken a lot of courage. Also not to ship but I do wonder if Marten's compliment will be left at this strip. She's not used to positive (or any really) male attention which is why she got a crush on Angus after telling her she is pretty.
His trademark babbliness may have nullified the full appreciation of it though.

Oh I'm quite sure Marten's babbling has killed any chance he may have had; looks like he made her too uncomfortable and he came off as too much of a dork. He may cause her to run back and put on the tshirt. And jeans, tossing aside the bikini entirely.

As for Marigold herself; DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGG.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

bukwrm

• Not quite a lurker

Yes. I admit it. I DANG'ed. This story arc might go a LONG way towards helping Mari with her self-confidence issues. If she wanted to be talked into wearing the suit, she knows, at least a bit, that she looks good in it. There are enough guys at the party that she could get a huge, if awkward, confidence boost.

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster

Wow! Hilarious! Marten acting awkward! Chug Chug Chug!!! Ha Ha!!!!! Jeph is so good at that Humor thing!!
yeah um no

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Is it just me or do I hear a slight hint of sarcasm there.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Jeph.

Stop stalking me.

On second thoughts, don't. If you're over here, you're not in the way of Sandy.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Is it just me or do I hear a slight hint of sarcasm there.

"Slight hint" the same way Sandy is a "little bit" of rain.
Just another Joe like 46

EnriqueAcosta

• Not quite a lurker

At last the glorious day has arrived.  Marigold boobies!  Horray!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Marigold.

Daaaaang.    0 (0%)
Daaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNG.    13 (32.5%)
Okay, it's a nice bikini, but really?    4 (10%)
If it made Marten THAT tongue tied? DaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG.    7 (17.5%)
She's got a nice shade of blush there.    1 (2.5%)
Marigold's red, Hannelore's orange - what's next? Tai becomes PURPLE!    1 (2.5%)
Seriously: DANG.    6 (15%)
Cue the "Sexy And She Knows It" theme music.    1 (2.5%)
Good Heavens, Ms. Sakamoto!    1 (2.5%)
Did I say "DAAAANG"?    3 (7.5%)
Upon further review, Hurricanes Still Suck.    3 (7.5%)
Even if they're not technically hurricanes anymore.    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40
Just another Joe like 46

WAYF

• Beyoncé

*inhale*

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!

Also: Dang.

Daaaaang.    0 (0%)
Daaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNG.    13 (32.5%)
If it made Marten THAT tongue tied? DaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG.    7 (17.5%)
Did I say "DAAAANG"?    3 (7.5%)

Yes. I admit it. I DANG'ed.
As for Marigold herself; DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGG.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannng, Marigold! Looking pretty fantastic!

That said: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Quote from: Marigold
STOP DANGING AT ME.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

This isn't the first time Marten's glugged his way about of an awkward situation. =p
Confessional question: What's going on in the next day's comic? Someone'll tell me and jeer, and I'll feel properly and CIDUly embarrassed.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

This isn't the first time Marten's glugged his way about of an awkward situation. =p
Confessional question: What's going on in the next day's comic? Someone'll tell me and jeer, and I'll feel properly and CIDUly embarrassed.

She's asking about the device between Pintsize's legs in the previous strip. Google "Fleshlight".

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I didn't even notice the fleshlight tonight at first glance. But I must have Googled it on an earlier archive binge; I recognized it when I saw it.  Thanks for not jeering.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I dunno...I like curves, but not an abundance of curves.  But then, I like small athletic builds for girls.  Then again, I was cursed with a slim body.  Strength increases, everything else stays the same.

But Marbear....lookin' fine.  Pretty much the hour glass figured, but tapered up top a bit more.  Just wide hips. 

Really wonder what Tai and Dora will have on now.

I like athletic builds as well. Frankly, I like most builds as long as they are healthy. I was cursed with a slim body as well. I can't add mass to save my life, literally. I had body issues for a long time because of it. Too skinny, mistaken for a boy, etc. Bloody hyperactive metabolism. I eventually learned to be okay with my body and now I dig it. But, I still tend to be more attracted to the curves. Nice hips, round butt, and let's not forget that ladies' bosoms are rad.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
@syleegrrl

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Who wouldn't chug their way through that? Drinking to oblivion is the only sane reaction.

Besides throwing Pintsize into that dent in the wall next to the TV?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Submitted here without comment (but with a HUGE facepalm):

Quote from: Jeph's Tumblr Post
submitted without comment
Hey Jeff,

Congrats on finally have a fat girl in your comic, you depicted her SOOO well! I understand that not ever girl is rail thin like Dora and curvy like Faye so its nice to see a REAL woman like Marigold in your comic. I have to give you props for having the courage to tackle such a sensitive issue too. I mean she did have any rolls, or stretch marks or even a muffin top, and I think that’s great. Ya, put her in a bikini, break down those walls. Your a regular Gobachev my friend. Lets just say keep up the good work, next you can depict the “fatty” Marigold having a “fat issue” and being told its okay to be fat and its whats inside that matters. You can even end it with a butt joke like you always do.

Inconclusion, the above paragraph was sarcastically written. Try not to insult women anymore Jeph, I know its not what you intended but that doesn’t meant its not what you did.

~Kearsley

What is this I don't even
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

See, it's people like that that make me extremely wary of doing a webcomic of my own. Is there any way to -not- unintentionally insult some realm of the internet?

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

See, it's people like that that make me extremely wary of doing a webcomic of my own. Is there any way to -not- unintentionally insult some realm of the internet?

Simple. Destroy all humans first.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

How people manage to draw insult from Questionable Content is beyond me.

I read this comic because of it's lack of insult.   Jeph doesn't use his comic to promote a religious stance,  political preference... he doesn't use it to broadcast a message or a worldview or an opinion.

Those things he occasional tweets or get posted on his other media-presences.    Which I can ignore if they don't jive with mine... and get back to the finer things in life --- enjoying his comic.

That said.  I prefer squishy girls.    IF THEY WERE REAL (they are not)  Faye and Marigold (and Raven to some extent) would be "my type."    I see nothing insulting about the way they are drawn...  I see nothing insulting about the way they are portrayed...  if anything I can point to each of the characters in this strip and say "I know someone like that."

Hope the person who expressed his opinion in that email enjoys his internet fame.   In the end all he accomplished was annoying Jeph (apparently?) and some of Jeph's fans.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

As a decidedly not-curvy woman, I would like to object to ranking of women based on physical characteristics
This. I'm scrawny through no fault of my own (having the metabolism of a hyperactive ferret tends to lend itself to said scrawniness). I guess I'm immediately sub-par because of it?

Also, can we please refrain from using that obnoxious tiny text? I hate having to interrupt my read flow by clicking quote, just so I don't miss anything, and frankly I think it's a little inconsiderate to make people do that, just to be able to read the entirety of one's post.
Right on, sitnspin and Omega Entity.

My bottom half is curvy. Does that make me at least half as good as a curvy woman?

Physical attributes don't make the person, and it's honestly a dagger to my self-esteem every time I see stuff like that. I can't make my top half curvy to save my life. And I hate it. Thanks for validating that I should feel that way. :/

I would really like to be curvier. But I just can't force my body into doing that, no matter what I try. But all bodies are good bodies, unless you're physically ill because of it (whether you're big or small). I don't say that any body type on a man makes them better. Please try to extend the same courtesy to me.

And agreed on the tiny text. If it's short, I can highlight it, and it's all, "Search Google for [insert phrase]." But if it's too long, I have to hit the quote button, and by the time I get around to looking at that tab, it's become relatively irrelevant. You can make text small while still being readable. Just another courtesy, please. :)

And what is that person who sent that comment so butthurt about? This is an accurate portrayal of Marigold as a character, not "Generic Big-Bodied Girl #1."

Oops, missed this one:

I like athletic builds as well. Frankly, I like most builds as long as they are healthy. I was cursed with a slim body as well. I can't add mass to save my life, literally. I had body issues for a long time because of it. Too skinny, mistaken for a boy, etc. Bloody hyperactive metabolism. I eventually learned to be okay with my body and now I dig it. But, I still tend to be more attracted to the curves. Nice hips, round butt, and let's not forget that ladies' bosoms are rad.
I've also been mistaken for a boy quite a few times. :( I'm starting to learn to be okay with it. And if I were attracted to women, I can't say I'd say differently.

And this one:

I'm also a big fan of the concept of Pepperberry, which is a shop that sells dresses with different ratios of waist to chest size. They're labelled according to curviness, which is cute. If I ever have money I'm going to and buy a dress from them.
I pretty much went immediately to their website as soon as you mentioned it. XD Sounds like a good plan--I may do the same! How bad is the price of shipping from the UK to the US?
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 21:56 by LoliBot »
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

See, that's what I don't get. I read comics to enjoy them, and I generally don't look any deeper than the story being told. Do people get a kick out of getting riled over some nit-picked detail that was most likely just some insignificant thing? Why can't a story just be a story? Does every story published have to be PC to every person on earth for it to not fall victim to this sort of thing? I personally hate politics, so I really have no desire to see anything about them in what I read.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Again, it is true Marigold is much more shapely than she looks with her clothes on, or than she has any right to be given her lifestyle.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Some people just want to be offended. And if no one offers them offense, then they'll go looking for it and by god, they'll find it.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Loli, I think they were pissed that Jeph didn't portray her with rolls or something.

I'm wondering if this person has ever legitimately drawn the human figure before. Because if they had, they would understand that drawing convincing large people isn't easy, by a longshot, for (what I think are) obvious reasons.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Of all the things anybody could possibly not like or be offended by, Marigold not being morbidly obese has to be one of the stupidest.  "Wah, the creator of a character has an idea of what she looks like that's different from my own personal interpretation!"

countriebabe08

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Maybe it's  Mellow Yellow??

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Wow. She managed to misspell both Jeph and Gorbachev's names in a single paragraph. Way to do your research.

I'd bet money this is a bored asswad who decided to throw out some BS and laugh as the forums got disgruntled.
Either that or one of those extremely pathetic new-to-the-internet types who still gets offended over every little thing, and assumes that her complaints carry an ounce of weight with anyone.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

What is this I don't even

That about sums that up... yeah...

*To the tune of Les Mis's "Do you Hear the People Sing?"*
~Can you hear the trollers sing? Singing the song of angsty men. It is the music of a people that will not have fun again. When the anger of your post echos the flaming in your heart, there is a douche that will come out when the "Problem" comes...~

... Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Some people just want to be offended. And if no one offers them offense, then they'll go looking for it and by god, they'll find it.

That's a quote to live by, that is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up