Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jeph, you're awesome.

Indeed!
Quite!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2306-2310 (29 October-2 November 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 71595 times)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

If Raven can do that with an espresso machine, what could she do with an AnthroPC?
And what would Pintsize do with teleportation abilities?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I dread to think!  But I'm sure others will have ideas...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

Man, alot of artists seem to be stabbing themselves in the hand lately. First Rich over at Order of the Stick, and now Jeph.

StevenC

• Furry furrier

At least Jeph didn't do it to his drawing hand. I really hope he feels better soon. I don't know what caused this (because I'm fairly certain that tumblr troll alone didn't make him so exhausted) but I really hope everything's going to be okay for him.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Aren't we due to find out more about Gabby? She can't be as normal as she appears, not in this comic strip.

Maybe she could be in a spinoff strip with Lt. Potter and a cat, called "Abby, Gabby, and Tabby".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I want a book 3 but I was kind of holding out to get a personalized one... wonder if those are still a possibility

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Right now? Unlikely.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

sure... but ever?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

"Ever" is a very long time.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

sure... but ever?

On Topatoco I remember seeing something about Book 3 personalizations possibly later this month. Dunno if that's still the case though.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I am trying hard to come up with comic chatter, but this recent news is quite distressing.

So I will just stick to my poll response, which is a hearty "indeed!"
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

You know who we haven't seen in a while? Mieville. Dora could have a heart-to-heart talk with him about the Tai relationship.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I want a book 3 but I was kind of holding out to get a personalized one... wonder if those are still a possibility

Your best bet is probably at a convention or something in the Boston area...I'm just going to blindly assume Jeph attends those every once in a while. Somebody correct my foolishness if applicable, please.
Worry Hat, Engage!

lunakitten

• Plantmonster

When I saw the filler, and why, I decided that an archive binge was in order. I was just going to read and enjoy the comic, because it's an awesome comic. I hope Jeph gets the help he needs and feels better soon. Depression is so debilitating, and you don't realize how much it's crushing you until you start to come out of it, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially not an artist who makes so many people as happy as he does.

In regards to the current re-posted comic, can anyone of the archive ninjas tell me which comic is the one where this gets resolved?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

This wasn't what I hoped to return to.  :oops:

Yeah, I just saw it now (it's 02:52 here... I should sleep) and man... I'm sad.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

In regards to the current re-posted comic, can anyone of the archive ninjas tell me which comic is the one where this gets resolved?

Here you go, complete with hat-tip to Douglas Adams.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Thank you.  I was just thinking about looking for it myself! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Hypster

• Plantmonster

Here you go, complete with hat-tip to Douglas Adams.
Oh god, I wish I hadn't kept reading. Creepy hairdresser lady bleaurghhhh. There's a real hair cave run by Chez Gilip.

foolsguinea

Severed ring finger tendon? Oyyy.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Man, alot of artists seem to be stabbing themselves in the hand lately. First Rich over at Order of the Stick, and now Jeph.
Oh thats why QC is stalled right now.

Well I guess I could have read the forum there, but god theres so much more traffic than in this forum, so I kind of stopped reading it quite quickly again.
Carpe Diem

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Severed ring finger tendon? Oyyy.

Am I missing tweets? I had not seen this.

Yeetch!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's in the newspost under today's guest strip (written by Cristi, I presume).

Quote from: Cristi, in newspost
Jeph is much better today, he sees a hand surgeon tomorrow to repair his severed tendon on his right ring finger. Thank you all for the wonderful emails and tweets of support. He and I both really appreciate it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

You know who we haven't seen in a while? Mieville. Dora could have a heart-to-heart talk with him about the Tai relationship.

So Dora talks to her pussy about girl problems?

tempest3k

• Not quite a lurker
    • T3K Blog etc

I guess someone had to go there - would be good to see Mieville at some point once Jeph is better though.

sluthy

Was it ever established anywhere that Marigold was "the fat girl"? Faye copped more fat jokes, particularly from other people, in the early days than I can recall Mari ever getting. Has anyone ever called or referred to her as 'fat', other than herself, all I've seen are boob comments? The only direct size comment I remember is Faye saying "we're basically the same size".

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Nope, the only one thinking Mari is fat is Mari herself. And tumblr apparently.

Also I didn't know that Jeph is lefthanded.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Unintelligent morons make their own assumptions based upon preconceived notions about society, about Jeph, and about the other readers. They don't deserve social interaction at all if they can't handle it properly.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

To be fair, most people seem to have thought she'd be a bit more chubby. Doesn't validate the criticism though.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

it's also a case of "how you say it" too.    If I had a critique for Jeph I sure as hell wouldn't present it the way the Email Asshole did.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

When life gets you down and you can't wait to die
when the slightest contusion puts tears in your eyes
Here's what I do when everything goes wrong
I go out and sing a song
Oh well! At least I'm not a mole
Oh well! At least I'm not a mole - either kind
One I'm underground, totally blind
The other I'm a blemish on someone's behind
So put a smile on that long, long face... unless you're a mole, in which case I apologize for this insensitive song.

Now back to the discussion relating to body image and the amount of extra tissue or lack thereof....
It has been already pointed out that Marbear has self-image issues.
Her earlier appearances, had her conceptualized physically as a bit more sturdy than most but able to rock a corset when the occasion arouse.
Her tendency to wear loose baggy clothing to obscure her body is something I can well relate to.
It also meshes well with her introversion mixed with laziness and maybe a bit of OCD.

<<== has battled ... okay argued at best .... with weight / image issues most of their life.
When my life takes a downer I end up swinging from fastidious organized social person to an absentminded hermit slob focused on something that takes their attention away from the real world around them [Warcraft / books / hobbies / etc].

I think that he has the artists touch to be able to characterize in a way that a majority of readers can relate to on a lot of levels.  I just hope that he can pull back and recover from all this.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I just went on a mini-archive binge from the reappearance of the espressosaur, and I really like the panel where Hanners' kick-drum leg is just going mad. Actually the whole the 1980s is really good - in 1982 I love the way Dora's face is drawn.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I guess someone had to go there - would be good to see Mieville at some point once Jeph is better though.

I blame "Are You Being Served?"

Carl-E

• Awakened

You can blame who you like, we all know the truth...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

it's also a case of "how you say it" too.    If I had a critique for Jeph I sure as hell wouldn't present it the way the Email Asshole did.

Poe's Law notwithstanding, you ever notice sarcasm as a mode of "criticism" is most favored among people who aren't all that good at it?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And that the best flames are written by the people who do them least?

Long ago on Usenet, one of the most friendly and level-headed people finally got provoked beyond endurance, and dashed off something that climaxed with "I will not tell you to grow up, as I fear you have already reached the peak of your development, like an egg I once smelled".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Those are the folks who believe that anything worth doing, is worth doing well. And they save up the good stuff.
I respect those people.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

lanilanilani

• Not quite a lurker

If I could draw, I would have totally drawn a picture of an Alot of artists (see http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)

Carl-E

• Awakened

If the alot belongs to artists, then there's probably already a picture. 

Or a painting. 

Or maybe a sculpture, covered with human hair clippings...

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Has no one commented on yesterday's guest comic?  Well, then I'm just going to say that, like Pintsize, I also have a cool, human penis.  :)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I do not have a cool, human penis - and if I did have a penis and it were cool, I would consulting my doctor about possible problems with my circulation :P
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

About the guest comic, I would say that's passive, even for Marten.
Also, I like the expression of the gal who's flipping Pintsize the double-birdie.

ChaosWolf

Marten is strangely apathetic for someone who's had their skull flayed.

lanilanilani

• Not quite a lurker

If the alot belongs to artists

Oh, no, no, no, you misunderstand. The alot is MADE of artists. If you followed the previous link, you could see the Alot made of beer cans. Now, picture each of those cans being a webcomic artist instead.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Or having his head bitten off.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

Or having his head bitten off.

I seriously miss snarky smoking Hannelore.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Insightful, too. I miss that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

You can blame who you like, we all know the truth...

Okay, i'm from 4chan, that vile cesspool of the internet. Happy now?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Insightful, too. I miss that.

She's always been insightful. It's just that once she found the meds that worked for her, they decreased her confidence/increased her inhibitions, and she acts "younger," not so much a "contemporary." Granted, the Hannelore we've known and loved since about the time the strip count went four digits is more "adorable" than bar-bathroom Hannelore -- but that might be a (sub)conscious defense move on her part. You know, kind of like "kids are cute so we don't eat them."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up