Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jeph, you're awesome.

Indeed!
Quite!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2306-2310 (29 October-2 November 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 71491 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Problem is, most of the people he could rely on to have a guest strip done in short time live in the same time zone - and are also likely getting hammered by Sandy.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

Problem is, most of the people he could rely on to have a guest strip done in short time live in the same time zone - and are also likely getting hammered by Sandy.

Willis lives in Ohio so he probably could.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Ohio's getting hit by what's left of Sandy - unless he lives closer to Michigan or Indiana.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Willis lives in Columbus, I believe -- but I'm hearing no reports of damaging weather from friends there. Wind's nice and whippy up here by Toledo, though -- and I heard from a friend from Cleveland that Lake Erie over that way was temporarily good for surfing.

Willis probably has all sorts of Marigold, Faye and Hannelore fanservice art ready to go.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Litch

• Not quite a lurker

What's that scar/thing on faye's right boob?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Dude - they're having flooding evacs (albeit voluntary ones along the shores of Lake Michigan) up here in WISCONSIN.

Columbus is closer to the track of Sandy than I am.

EDIT: 30-40 MPH winds, gusts to 60 in CLB.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Scar from a car accident pre-comic. I really would recommend going through the archive before reading the current comics.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Looking at the weather map over Western Massachusetts, it's like watching amoeba doing mitosis under a microscope.
Just another Joe like 46

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Just pick a Yelling Bird Comic at random,   erase the text and replace it with random tweets from #firstworldproblems about the power-outages caused by the storm.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

He may have gotten power back. He's tweeted a couple of things.
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Just pick a Yelling Bird Comic at random,   erase the text and replace it with random tweets from #firstworldproblems about the power-outages caused by the storm.

Too bad Jeph couldn't just allow a "reader appreciation" day and allow a fan to do a strip with Yelling Bird.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Are you MAD???!!!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I'm torn between horror and fascination.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What's that scar/thing on faye's right boob?

Welcome, new person!

http://questionablecontent.wikia.com/wiki/Faye_Whitaker#Other_characteristics will point you to a couple of relevant strips. It's actually a plot point.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Okay people, place your bets, place your wagers! Who's going to be the first Marigold-ogler?

Is it...

Marten?
Angus?
Steve?
Dora?
Tai?
Dora & Tai?
Clinton?!
Sven (who's currently hiding in the bushes)?
Hannelore?
Emily?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Dale.

Oh snap!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Snap indeed! I don't even think he was invited.

But he'll be there. He has to be.

He HAS to.

ಠ_ಠ
Worry Hat, Engage!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Okay people, place your bets, place your wagers! Who's going to be the first Marigold-ogler?

Is it...

Hmm. A prediction:

Marigold will try the bikini on.  <- correct
The bikini will be supportive.   <- correct
Angus will notice and will demonstrate an ability for basic learning.
Marten will notice and will be cool.  <- false, me thinks
Steve will notice and will be Steve.
Tai will notice. She will be about to say something, but will remember at the last moment that Dora is there.
Hannelore, Dora and Faye will be supportive.
Emily and Gabby will not notice.
Clinton will notice and awkwardness will ensue.
Claire will try to make fun of her brother.
Cosette will notice, and keep an eye on Steve's reaction.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 01:55 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Been watching Goldfinger?

In the cinema.

When it released.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Are you MAD???!!!!!!!

Oh come on, he has final editorial decision to put it up, tell the person to rewrite it, or just scrap it.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Hmm. A prediction:

Marten will notice and will be cool.

Yeah ... about that one ...

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

You'd think Marten would be more adept at compliments considering his dating experience now..

That said, Adorable Marigold is Adorable.

Big thanks to Jeph for getting us a comic up in the middle of a hurricane...

Now we just need Bill Clinton to stand on the edge of the eastern coast with his trousers around his ankles going "Hey Sandy, Blow this!"
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

You'd think Marten would be more adept at compliments considering his dating experience now.
Maybe, but this is Marigold he's trying to compliment. I'm pretty sure even Sven would have a hard time.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

He's single, though...it's been a while. I'm thinking he'll either say something gentlemanly, or [unintentionally] crass.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I had to order a medium for my bottom piece and a small for the top.

This is the problem with so many bikinis, and the reason that I used to buy mine from the same place I bought my bras - they sold them as separate pieces! And I could get fitted properly, as if it were a bra! Nowadays I don't wear bikinis (actually I don't have any swimwear at the moment) so it's not an issue any more.

I'm also a big fan of the concept of Pepperberry, which is a shop that sells dresses with different ratios of waist to chest size. They're labelled according to curviness, which is cute. If I ever have money I'm going to and buy a dress from them.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Oh Marten!  If only you'd just stopped after the first remark...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Called it. XD

Also: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE@_@
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 02:34 by Bluesummers »
Worry Hat, Engage!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Well, Marten is the county champion in social second-guessing, despite having fierce competition right there in the cast.
Now, with that one, he has a good shot for state champion...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Mr Foot-in-Mouth strikes and scores again.
Signature OF DOOM!

SJCrew

Marigold looks fantastic in her swimsuit!
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 03:02 by SJCrew »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I agree, she looks fine. I hope this helps her to feel more confident. I was quite surprised that she took the tshirt off actually; she was right that it was ridiculous but I didn't expect her to be that self-aware!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Mr Foot-in-Mouth strikes and scores again.
His gymnastic (and possibly contortionist) abilities astound even himself as he scores a double...

Man, Marigold really has some body image issues. Not to ogle fictional comic characters, but I rather like women of that body shape (healthily plump (although a diet of pocky and ramen isn't really "healthy", but you know what I mean... I hope). I agree with Marten's first comment.

But yeah, he probably should have stopped there. Mar-bear might have been a little surprised (hence the expression and the blush), but I reckon she might have appreciated it (eventually, knowing her).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Angelus_Primus

• Not quite a lurker

Adorable Marigold is adorable.
Also, starting Marten-Marigold shipping.
Martigold? Mariten?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Please read the rules and guidelines; we don't allow shipping here.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

"Yeah, ship them elsewhere."

"Ship them to me?"
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Curvey women > not-curvey women
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Been watching Goldfinger?

In the cinema.

When it released.

I'm jealous - 35 years of watching Bond movies (sue me I was a started late) and that's still my favourite.

As for today's comic, Marigold is definitely looking very good in that swimsuit, and while the compliment was merited, the stammering explanations undoubtedly served to make it uncomfortable.  But at least she's not running back to change.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Wintercode

• Not quite a lurker

Marigold looks absolutely adorable in this strip. I'm not quite sure about the bikini though, given Marigold's body type I would think she would be bit more plump (though not obese) whereas today's strip makes her look curvy with little extra fat, at least to me.

This strip definately marks the possibility of Marten/Marigold happening. We did speculate that Marten, as pseudo-main character might end up with someone seeing as this is major arc, and Marigold is available. Also, Marten wouldn't be likely to hurt her in a relationship. It all depends on how he and Marigold feel about it. In particular since Marigold can be/is very clueless about relationships.

And, finally, I don't think she realises this, but, Marigold made a guy flustered based on her looks, which, knowing her and her history, I can't imagine has happened before. It might be considered a milestone, though, just the fact that she walked out in that bikini with her self-confidence problems is a pretty big thing. If she actually goes out in it to the lake it will be a definite step forward in her character development. Because she isn't as strong as Hanners (personality-wise) she hasn't progressed as much as Hanners has, so it's always nice to see her take steps forward. Also, she looks really cute in the last couple of panels as her blush darkens while Marten is getting more and more flustered.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Man, poor Marten. His heart is so in the right place there. :( Like, seriously, everything he's saying is right it's just HOW he's saying it.

And who he's saying it to, since let's be honest, Marty could win world records for suave and Marigold would still have reacted thusly.

(also, holy shit, Marbear, dem thighs dat body. "Bounce dat ass, it's the roundest," quoth the poet.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Man, poor Marten. His heart is so in the right place there. :( Like, seriously, everything he's saying is right it's just HOW he's saying it.

And who he's saying it to, since let's be honest, Marty could win world records for suave and Marigold would still have reacted thusly.

(also, holy shit, Marbear, dem thighs dat body. "Bounce dat ass, it's the roundest," quoth the poet.)

Marigold is definitely looking good in her bathing suit. Nothing wrong with a curvy woman. As for Marten, it's obvious he started off well with a compliment but knowing Mari's sensitive nature, he tries to backpedal and only inserts his foot in his mouth after he's said some ridiculous things. So overall, a normal happening in QC. As for the Marten-Marigold shippers out there, cut that out. I'm going to need to see a little more interaction between the two before I start breaking out the champagne bottles to christen the H.M.S. Martengold.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

As the cast page states about Marigold: "Self-esteem undetectable with current technology."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Well done to Jeph getting a comic up, good that he seems to be safe.

Well done to Marigold! It must have taken a lot of courage. Also not to ship but I do wonder if Marten's compliment will be left at this strip. She's not used to positive (or any really) male attention which is why she got a crush on Angus after telling her she is pretty.
His trademark babbliness may have nullified the full appreciation of it though.

The last panel is one of my instant favourites.

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

So I gotta be the one to say it, eh? Fine.

*inhale*

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Just so. Poor Marten. State champion in second guessing? More like Olympic class! He's the Michael Phelps of second guessing!

Marigold looks very nice.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Ph2

From Jeph's Twitter: "GISing some truly embarrassing photo reference tonight"

Wonder if there is a real life Marigold model now, though him using a assortment of pictures is more likely.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's next on the shenanigans list?

Still waiting on Dale to show up.    5 (8.2%)
Claire takes Cosette up on her offer.    8 (13.1%)
Clinton's hand goes on automation mode without warning. Hilarity ensues.    5 (8.2%)
Hannelore re-starts the grill with a targeted air-strike from Station!    3 (4.9%)
Emily starts hitting on... Clinton???    12 (19.7%)
The games part of the party include "Apples to Apples" and... "My Little C'thulu"???    3 (4.9%)
Stealth Airship makes a return appearance.    0 (0%)
The nude couple make a reappearance!    2 (3.3%)
IT WAS A FIREWORKS ACCIDENT    1 (1.6%)
Muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat muskrat.    5 (8.2%)
Who KNOWS where Jeph's twisted, alcohol and nicotine-starved brain will take us?    6 (9.8%)
#### Late-Season Hurricanes.    11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 61
Just another Joe like 46

ChaosWolf

Truth and wisdom.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

As a decidedly not-curvy woman, I would like to object to ranking of women based on physical characteristics, but unfortunately I am afraid that I have to agree with your assertion, curvy women are indeed preferable.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

Lol Martin, you lovable tongue-tied dork. XD

Begin the shipping. Again.  :-P Also: Dang.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up