THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto V  (Read 67792 times)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Re: Grand Theft Auto V
« Reply #100 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:21 »

Relatively certain that V is going to at least surpass IV in sales.  If it hasn't already. 
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #101 on: 15 Oct 2013, 05:04 »

This is my first GTA since I played barely an hour of GTA 3 and had fun with the flying tank exploit... (go forward, aim the barrel behind you and keep firing = flying tank).  I'm more on the Saints Row side of things so this game annoyed me a lot during the first hour. 

Couldn't start stuff with the cops.. die in one hit, tried to powerslide and every time the car spun completely around, the first missions were boring as hell and especially the fact that if you find any sweet jumps in a motorcycle sometimes it'll just kill you because you're too high or you didn't land *perfectly*.  BUT after that and especially the online... it is quite fun.

Online - look for the missions Top Fun I, II and III and Extradition. Extremely fun missions.. jets with cannons and lock on missiles, although the helicopters are another thing. I can't pilot those to save my life.. they'll always keep swerving/rocking side-to-side whenever I pilot them. I'm MUCH MUCH better in jets then anything. It took a bit of getting used to that anyone in the same session can just roll up and kill you for no reason.

Here's a tip.. whenever you get money (however you get it) *IMMEDIATELY* open your phone and go to Internet -> Money and Services -> Maze Bank -> Deposit -> (click the button that says all the money you have) after that it's basically risk free; except for the medical bills which are pretty negligible.

It's also nice that you can put a tracker and insurance on your vehicle, that way if it ever gets "stolen" (Why would it? Just use the select menu and change Vehicle Access to No One or Crew + Friends and no random can get in it) or blown up/destroyed, just call Mors Mutal and pay $200 and your vehicle is back :)

tl;dr - Kind of annoying in the first bits and takes some getting used to but it is extremely fun, go buy it now :)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #102 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:10 »

I get my home internet back on the 23rd, and the online portion of this is the first thing I'm playing! 

Hoowah! :evil:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

kyomi

« Reply #103 on: 16 Oct 2013, 06:09 »

Ok.. my attitude has completely changed from my experiences last night...

I'm just extremely fed up with it; 4 weeks after the game came out and it still isn't working correctly. There is no way to veto a vote if you are the host of a room. So eventually you'll end up with people hijacking the room and replaying the shortest mission possible constantly to get money the fastest and the only way to stop that is to leave the room which then makes you wait 5-10 minutes while it loads and then eventually times out.

Join Friends and Join Crew Members have never worked. You could look at your friends list and KNOW that they are playing online or Show Crew Members in the game and it'll show them online and it STILL won't find any games with friends/crew members. Trying to manually join friends by selecting their name and clicking "Join Game" only works about 3 out 10 times. The friends list outside the game will show them playing Online but, go into the game and it will say they are playing story mode.  If it's actually correct, you have about a 1 in 5 chance of it actually connecting and not timing out/failing to join the session or some other error. One more thing on this topic, if you're voting on the next mission with a bunch of friends and you all chose to go back to freemode to screw around for awhile, it will split all of you up in different sessions EVERY TIME without fail.. unless it actually fails and forces you back to the story mode.

I for one, am glad that I didn't buy this game and instead only "rented" it from gamefly. It's pretty sad that Duke Nukem Forever had shorter load times than this game. You start the game up and you have to wait 5 minutes for it to load story and then another 5-10 minutes if it decides to connect to online. Sure, you could try to load online from the start but chances are, it won't work.

I've never had a good feeling after playing a rockstar game. They do live up to their company name though.. they are all flashy and "look what we have now" but then when you actually get to play it... most of it is crap and it doesn't work.

tl;dr again.. Rockstar can eat it.  Some of the missions are fun if you can get away from all of the people replaying the same boring mission endlessly.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #104 on: 16 Oct 2013, 10:26 »

Did you not play the actual story mode at all?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #105 on: 16 Oct 2013, 10:28 »

...can't say I agree with you.

The story modes of Rockstar games are very hard to match, and most AAA studios simply don't achieve it. Indie games have managed to create good atmosphere in recent times, but then they don't deliver the sheer quantity that Rockstar can provide (and routinely does).

But they really do have to fix up their multiplayer tech. I've loved Max Payne 3 but stopped playing it, because it would always disconnect me. Now I'm too afraid to play, as I fear that the people that would still play it, they're the pros. No way I'd stand a chance against them.

But I've yet to walk away from a Rockstar game thinking bad things about them. In my opinion. Rockstar has set such a high standard for their games that we judge them way too harshly for things that do not work. I've played GTA V on a friends machine, and I must say I was absolutely astonished by the story mode. I mean, holy fucking hell.

kyomi

« Reply #106 on: 16 Oct 2013, 11:18 »

Did you not play the actual story mode at all?

I figure I should qualify this. all played on PS3.

I tried.. the first mission was cool and pretty fun.. then after that the Franklin missions were boring as hell for me until
(click to show/hide)
Trevor's missions were ok-ish.. since it was mainly just blowing stuff up and killing people but it all just got a "samey" feel to it. There is too much "realism" in it for a game. You get one shot by the cops almost all the time, so no fun starting stuff with them; I tried just looking for jumps and stuff and the big ones with a motorcycle would just crash it and kill me when I landed perfectly, or the car would blow up for some reason. 

I figured with THAT LONG (about 20 minutes) of an install time the loading would be pretty quick.. but nope.. everytime I loaded the game it would be about 5 minutes. This is the only game that's had that problem.. even Duke Nukem Forever loaded quicker. No matter what I did I couldn't really make my own fun unless I follow the story missions one by one which were hit and miss. Especially with the combat ones because you have to play super conservative since if you get hit more then once you're pretty much dead. I've played FPS and 3rd person games for quite awhile and this is the only one I have issues with.

On another note, the sensitivity for planes/helicopters is set on nearly impossible.  I finally got the hang of the jets which made it a bit fun but the helicopters were impossible.. even after I found out the controls and tips on flying.

ackblom12

« Reply #107 on: 16 Oct 2013, 11:23 »

I've gone on at length about my own issues with RS before, so I'll just shorten it to 'They aren't nearly as good at writing as they think they are, and they're good, but not great, with gameplay.'

kyomi

« Reply #108 on: 16 Oct 2013, 11:33 »

Sorry, I couldn't read that reply for awhile because the Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable and then it eventually timed out. :P

I can't believe they didn't know that many people were going to get it and try to get online at once... there is no logical way they could have not known or even guessed in the realm of "a metric fuck-ton" of players will try to get on at the same time.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #109 on: 16 Oct 2013, 12:24 »

I'd like to have seen the look of terror on the face of Rockstar tech support as the spike in traffic occured.

I've made it to level 16 on GTA:O now, and I am enjoying it. I have not been disconnected once, I haven't had any trouble with my character (apart from masks making his hair disappear), and I am eating grief givers for breakfast. Found a pretty easy system of acquiring helicopter and using it to rob every store on the map, makes me about $10k in an hour or two. It's also pretty useful for swooping down on players with a bounty on their head, then using the rotor blades to fling their car until it explodes.

Working towards getting myself an apartment (in the game, because who needs one of those in real life?) then I'm going to just grind to get as good as the character can be for the release of heists.

Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

kyomi

« Reply #110 on: 16 Oct 2013, 12:35 »

Survival missions are better for money. Make it past wave 10 and you get $20,000 or the Extradition mission gives you $20,000 too.

I do agree that most of the missions are fun, if you can ever play them. Nice to know that not everybody is getting shafted with connection issues. How does it work when you quit/choose freemode on the mission voting screen?  I have no idea how you can fly a helicopter that well.

Every time I try, I end up getting a bit pissed and nauseous since it won't quit rocking side to side when my analog stick is sitting still. I'll accelerate and push up on the stick to go forward and it'll eventually run me into the ground. The turning is extremely unpleasant since you have to use left/right on the analog stick PLUS L1/R1 to turn.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #111 on: 16 Oct 2013, 19:02 »

When I quit after finishing/failing a mission it cycles with a couple Rockstar loading screen/gameplay tip messages then drops me into a session without having to do anything. It's been smooth throughout for me so far.

Managed to get myself the second cheapest apartment. It's dark and full of smoke but it's got a T.V to watch for when there's a bounty on my head.

As far as the helicopter goes, I dunno? You've got to be pretty subtle or gentle with your stick movement. I don't really think about it, I just fly it. The best stores to rob with it are the ones up north, there's more room to land close to the entrances and as most players stay south you don't have to worry about leaving the shop and seeing someone else flying your getaway vehicle off into the sky.

I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #112 on: 16 Oct 2013, 21:27 »

Rockstar's control scheme needs to be shoved in a ditch, covered in petrol and lit on fire.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #113 on: 17 Oct 2013, 00:20 »

What I've come to realize is that the Rockstar control scheme is way more sensitive than that of other games (Just Cause comes to mind). It makes it easier to stall out helicopters, but I've gotten very used to it (and flying helicopters in Liberty City wasn't that hard).

kyomi

« Reply #114 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:12 »

I was extremely disappointed when I was screwing around with friends and had one of those "I wonder" moments to see if I could pull straight up in a helicopter and do a loop before hitting the ground. It just went straight up :(  Saint's Row would of let you do it.. hell, they let you fly upside down :)

This:
Rockstar's control scheme needs to be shoved in a ditch, covered in petrol and lit on fire.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #115 on: 24 Oct 2013, 10:56 »

Ho. Lee. Shit.

I got my internet turned on yesterday, then jumped into GTA online last night.  I finally got to bed around 2am...  having experienced none of the problems that a lot of people described, I had a blast.  That was an insanely good time.  Maybe the most multiplayer fun I've ever had.

My blog

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #116 on: 24 Oct 2013, 21:47 »

Small complaint, but I had max (25) sticky bombs. This mission is calling for me to use one, and somehow I only have three! What the hell, I just bought them! And my assault rifle only has a few hundred rounds, it should have thousands! :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #117 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:54 »

If any of you play GTA:O on the 360, add RCameron and I'll be the Trevor to your Michael.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #118 on: 28 Oct 2013, 09:06 »

Beat the good ending last night, loved it. Did the other two endings this morning and they were kind of underwhelming. Won't give any details unless someone asks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #119 on: 28 Oct 2013, 15:14 »

If any of you play GTA:O on the 360, add RCameron and I'll be the Trevor to your Michael.

Will add you, and I created a crew if you're interested - Fearful Symmetry.  Eta: I'm sockeydad on xbl
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2013, 16:35 by Blyss »

My blog

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #120 on: 30 Oct 2013, 09:35 »

Global Moderator Comment I'm sure no offence was meant; but to avoid upset I have removed the image of a plane flying into a tower and the comments that followed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #121 on: 30 Oct 2013, 21:31 »

I really liked the SP.  So much that after I finished it I started a new game and went through it all again.  I mean, it wasn't the ebst in the world and probably could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it was interesting and fun enough.

Online's been a blast for me.  Two nights ago I took a Cargobob helicopter, picked up some random player in his car, carried him out and dropped him in the ocean.  Twenty minutes later I'm driving around in my SUV and suddenly I'm lifted off the ground and gently placed atop a skyscraper in revenge.  Love this game.  Love the missions.  Don't really like the racing but it can be fun sometimes.

If anyone on PS3 wants to team up my PSN is Johnny_Phever.  I also started a crew, but only so I could get my own custom T-shirt pic and crew tag, but if you want to join it's open invite.  http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/red_tooth_bartender
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #122 on: 30 Oct 2013, 22:30 »

Is it weird that I can acknowledge that the online mode is done well, but I just have no desire to play it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:17 »

This game is so overrated that it makes Mass Effect 3 look so underhyped. Online was disappointing and the interface, utterly terrible and inexcusable.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #124 on: 18 Dec 2013, 23:44 »

The interface online?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #125 on: 20 Dec 2013, 06:35 »

I'm personally still having a hell of a lot of fun.  Playing with friends and crew members, leveling up, oh and some random stranger threw one of my friends a hundred million dollars (in game cash) the other day.

We heard later about the whole hacking thing.  I have no idea if he's keeping the cash or not, but I would guess probably.

My blog

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #126 on: 20 Dec 2013, 16:30 »

I'll probably just play through the campaign again every few months (I've never been a fan of online gaming).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #127 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:40 »

I'm still waiting for the PC version here. Granted, I already watched countless playthroughs

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #128 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:31 »

The interface online?

Well like for example, joining online mode from when the game loads up. You always end up in a public block without the choice to choose private or otherwise. I recognize that you can choose offline, but you can't choose to go to a private block when you are online and that bugs me. It feels like a sloppy design choice. I also wish there were somemore single player activities online, like yoga. I actually LIKED yoga in the offline mode and wanted to use it for my character.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #129 on: 21 Dec 2013, 14:09 »

No, you don't understand. I was specifically wondering if you were talking about online or offline. If you don't like the online, then why not just play offline?
I'm still waiting for the PC version here. Granted, I already watched countless playthroughs
WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU SPOIL IT FOR YOURSELF?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #130 on: 21 Dec 2013, 15:56 »

Do people care about GTA stories?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #131 on: 21 Dec 2013, 16:10 »

Of course. Why wouldn't we?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #132 on: 21 Dec 2013, 20:30 »

No, you don't understand. I was specifically wondering if you were talking about online or offline. If you don't like the online, then why not just play offline?
WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU SPOIL IT FOR YOURSELF?

Due to vision problems, I couldn't even complete offline. I like the idea of the overall game, but some design choices were really bad. Interesting concept, but I don't really think it was worth the money that Rockstar made. When you are visually impaired, you are practically invisible to game companies. And yes, I've already heard the schpiel about being too low on their consumer radar (or whatever the expression might be) to matter. But it still sucks.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #133 on: 21 Dec 2013, 21:20 »

You have my sympathies, then, that you were not able to play the game. I still don't get why Masterpiece would willingly spoil the game for himself, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #134 on: 21 Dec 2013, 22:02 »

I'm glad that somebody actually understands. Path of Exile had this problem too, which dissapoints me, because I LOVED Torchlight 2.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #135 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:43 »

Because the PC version will probably not exist. And I don't want to buy a PS3.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #136 on: 22 Dec 2013, 06:58 »

I don't think you should have to buy a PS3 just to play one game. Besides, the PS4 just came out, so given time it would be the better console to purchase.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #137 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:17 »

My old PS3 broke a year or so ago, and I finally bought a new one in October...for one game >_>

(Although to be fair, I also use it to play all my other PS3 games and as a Bluray player, but yeah, I pretty much bought it so I could play GTA V)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #138 on: 22 Dec 2013, 10:03 »

Not saying you are wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #139 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:26 »

I don't want to buy a PS4 either.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #140 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:31 »

Honestly, neither do I.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #141 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:34 »

The PC isn't really a bad choice, but I DO think GTA V WILL arrive. Just gotta have patience is all.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #142 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:42 »

Red Dead Redemption never arrived either. And it looks as though GTA V is based on the same branch of RAGE as Red Dead is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #143 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:56 »

I wasn't a huge fan of RDR.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #144 on: 22 Dec 2013, 15:13 »

Due to vision problems, I couldn't even complete offline. I like the idea of the overall game, but some design choices were really bad. Interesting concept, but I don't really think it was worth the money that Rockstar made. When you are visually impaired, you are practically invisible to game companies. And yes, I've already heard the schpiel about being too low on their consumer radar (or whatever the expression might be) to matter. But it still sucks.
Try playing Proteus. It's basically the complete polar opposite of GTA, but it has a distinct visual style that someone with impaired vision can enjoy just as well as anyone.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #145 on: 22 Dec 2013, 16:12 »

If it helps, I don't think you are missing much.

kyomi

« Reply #146 on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:21 »

I think I heard that it was going to take another year or something to come out on PC/PS4

Why do you not want to get a PS3/4, if I may ask?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #147 on: 23 Dec 2013, 08:45 »

Because it costs money and it wouldn't add any value to my home.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #148 on: 23 Dec 2013, 10:33 »

I won't get one because I don't pay big money for something that's essentially a kinda shitty computer.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #149 on: 23 Dec 2013, 18:07 »

So you object to consoles in general, not just Sony's. Gotcha.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up