THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The re-introduction thread  (Read 146077 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
The re-introduction thread
« on: 26 Nov 2012, 15:13 »

Hi folks.

So there's a forum for introducing ourselves on here.

But the thing is... some of us have been here a while, and things have changed.

When I joined this forum in 2005 (within days of our very own Patrick) I went by the online moniker of DynamiteKid. He was a wrestler in the 80s, a frequently acknowledged cunt of the highest order, and I certainly was a cunt even if most people didn't realise.

I'm not DynamiteKid any more. A lot's changed in seven years. So I asked hodges to change my name just to Gareth, in the same way as Pat used to be KimJongSick and is now just Patrick.

So this is the re-introduction thread. Sorry if it takes up too much space.

My name is Gareth. I'm 24. I live in England. I am obsessed with music, and I am in the early stages of going through an amicable but heartbreaking divorce.

I work at a college in the student services department, a job I actually adore but that I get paid SHIT for when you consider my responsibilities and workload.

A couple of you I already know pretty well (Pat, obviously, and neko). But who is everybody else? What's your deal, yo?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: The re-introduction thread
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2012, 16:28 »

This seems like a not bad idea given (what feels to me anyways) as an influx of new people. 

My name is Kat. I am married to Ackblom12 (Stephen) and we have a non-monogamous relationship.  I feel sometimes like new people don't know that and are at a disadvantage somehow in understanding what is going on. 
here we are:

I am in graduate school in Michigan studying "Information Science" to be a librarian or archivist or records manager or something.  I like to bake and sew, and get drunk and argue.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2012, 16:38 »

When I registered here four and a half years ago, I was clearly even more of an oddball than I am now.  I built up people's knowledge of me by posting black-and-white photos of myself as a child, to the extent that at one point I was accused of being someone else's spoof account!  Then I had a period as people's favourite uncle or substitute father-figure.  Then somehow it fell to me to sort out the comic forum when the existing moderators couldn't face it; and now, by default as a result of other people moving along, here I am.  But all the time, I've just been me really.  What you see is what you get, and I don't have a different personality in real life from that which I let you see here.

Though I don't think my wife realises that I actually moderate an Internet forum...  My time with her is too precious (and too full) to waste with such trivia.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2012, 16:58 »

was rejected pretty hard because of it. I can understand that; I'm still pretty hurt that I was called a liar repeatedly, though,

That wouldn't happen now, I hope and believe.  I'm sure that those of us who remember that period have nothing but admiration for the way that you stood up to your treatment at that time.  Certainly I have; it showed a considerable inner strength.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2012, 17:23 »

I don't think I was around here at the time and if things like that were going on, I'm glad I wasn't.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2012, 17:45 »

I'm Paul, and I signed onto the forum right in the middle of the break-up arc....so many replies.....

I'm 27, I'm Irish, grew up outside of Cork City, where I live now. Not much to be said about growing up. Studied Applied Science and Quality Assurance in college, and looking to go back to next year and study Literature. Amateur cook and writer seems to sum up the rest of me, oh...and a love of reading and horror films that borders on the obsessive...

TheEvilDog was a nickname I've had since school (There were only 6 of us that took German, so the teacher gave us nicknames, I was "Paulus, you evil dog." The latter of which stuck for several years. Most people tend to call me Evil, although most just use it in an ironic manner, as I am not at all evil...I hope..

Not too much more to say. Then again, I've never really been one for long replies. I always seem to lose the point halfway through.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2012, 18:18 »

Wow, February of '09 for me. I wandered in during the introduction of Cosette, and the famous "CARNALLY. ON A REGULAR BASIS." quote.

I kinda ended up here because BLC shut down their forums, and I was a bit put off by the stuff going on with Halfpixel (Kurtz and Straub and company). The comic just kinda ended up being one of my main reads after a while.

I can't speak for Paul and some of the other "older" individuals, but I do see the comic as a way of keeping up with "modern life" - trying to understand people who are much younger than me (including Jeph).

That and the comments in the strip were just too funny.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2012, 18:54 »

As mentioned, I'm 29, male, married to Kat and we happen to be poly. I've been around since 2005 or so and typically just ramble on about schlocky horror films (which I currently have a thread for), video games and body modification.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2012, 19:37 »

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2012, 19:40 »

I joined in 2010 when they fixed the forum signup after the breakup arc. I had been lurking around for a while beforehand.

I'm a 25 year old from the chicago area. I don't post as prolifically as everyone else but I'm usually lurking around. TRVA is a condensed version of my highschool screen name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2012, 19:46 »

I'm neko/nekowafer/Kat/Elesia/"hey you with the pants". I am a cat furry and a high school friend came up with the nickname. Then I was called either neko or Kat because my real name is mostly impossible to pronounce properly.

I came here to waste some time while at work, because I had (and still have) a very boring desk job. I almost typed "sex job". You'll most often see me in the threads where we talk about our problems because I have a lot of them and I am very vocal about them. Also Der Tattoo Thread and anything to do with sex/polyamory/gender/etc because it interests me.

I also like music.

And Unicorn, I'm so glad you posted here, because I wouldn't have recognized you for a little while and I'd be all confused.

Edit: oh yeah I decided to re-introduce myself even though Gaz already mentioned me because I assume new people will read this thread.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2012, 20:57 by nekowafer »
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2012, 20:08 »

Now I'm super tempted to delete my posts in this thread, and then change my avatar/signature.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2012, 20:15 »

True, dat.  I caught the change in avatar, and I knew you called yourself unicorn IRL, but it probably would've taken me a few days...

I'm Carl, Dr. Carl to my students, because my last name's tough.  My wife uset to call me Carl-E (or Carlie?) as a term of endearment, so I use it online.  You'll see me in comment threads of other webcomics sometimes... I've never posted my last name anywhere, in any of the forums I've participated in (only two or three others).  I've always been deathly afraid of a student finding me out through a websearch.  If a student's on here already and recognizes me, that's cool - but I like to keep my webpresence anonymous. 

I joined in August '09, just before the registration system quit working - I think I was one of the last ones in until the breakup arc. 

I was working away from home at the time, and this place quickly became the social interaction that I was sorely missing.  Soon after that, you guys saw me through several of the toughest events of my life.  It was a place to vent, and escape.  I stayed in the comic area for well over a year, then started exploring the "lower threads".  I really liked what I found, even more than in the comic section. 

I spend way to much time in here.  And I think of many of you as my friends, and wish (and hope) to meet some of you someday. 

Then I remember my privacy paranoia... and realize it will probably never happen  :cry:

And I love food inordinately much...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2012, 20:47 »

Oh and fair warning, if you mention anything about sex (especially kink) or body modification, be prepared for an answer, or rebuttal if necessary, from myself. I am pretty blunt and not shy at all about the subjects and will go into detail.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2012, 20:55 »

Well, I am the celticgeek, registered in September, 2006.

The Celticgeek

Professional old fogey and technocrat
Former professional student
Drinker of Laphroaig
Linux Geek
Fan of Celtic music
Fan of old-time folk music
Fan of bluegrass and old time string band music
Fan of bagpipe music
(201 GBytes total of music related stuff on my harddrive)
Outstandingly mediocre guitar player

Husband of a retired librarian, and father to another librarian
Former alpha geek of a library software consulting business

Retired aerospace engineer (nondestructive evaluation)
Retired instructor (physics, math, databases, Gnu-Linux)

Other stuff that I will remember pretty soon, and edit into this post.
And, yes, I was here during some of the bad times, and I think the
moderators have done a truly outstanding job of making this one of
the nicest forums on the internet. 
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2012, 09:32 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Papersatan

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2012, 21:15 »

Neko, when you joined I called you Bizzaro me for a while.  Names, piercings, pet choices..I felt like for the first few months every week you said something new that made me squint my eyes and go "is someone taking the piss..."

Though as time went on I learned enough about you that it was clear we were the same person from different universes.

Or are we....

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2012, 21:25 »

I am your evil twin! With half as much boob...
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2012, 00:06 »

My name is Fat Mike and I'm obsessed with big lesbians... wait...

I'm Jace. I was PantsFTW and then I grew up and realized that name was dumb and I should go by Jace. Which is my name but not really. It is a nickname, but been goin by it since 2nd grade.
I'm 23 now, I am in my 3rd semester of college for mathematics. I paint miniatures. Sometimes I paint canvasses. I do Dagorhir, its like a LARP but no one roleplays and we just hit each other and then drink or sleep. I also do the SCA, its like Dagorhir but with more pomp and wooden sticks instead of foam covered sticks. My buddy who got me into SCA makes armor and I'm learning how to make armor from him. Everything I wear except my helmet and chain was made by him and me. Here's a picture of me in some of my armor:

You better believe that you're seeing a velvet coat of plates on over that chain. Damn that is sexy. Oh and the period shoes too! Beautiful 14th century kit just coming together.
Sometimes I do a middle eastern thing too and when it is windy I get awesome pictures:

Also one time I met Andrew WK. I haven't changed my facebook picture since.

I also have a bunch of tattoos. Here you can see most of them:
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:11 »

ollaH!

I started reading QC in summer 2010 and I think I began to check out the forums in early 2011. I can't remember the specifics as it was a pretty bleak time for me after several nervous breakdowns and a breakup. At the same time I started to go to therapy for anxiety disorder and depression and started to get my social life together a bit and begin to start making music in a band in earnest, mostly to help me deal with my mental stuff.
I´m stuck in my head pretty much all of the time.
I think I come off as somewhat stern, earnest and maybe a bit stuffy but I´ve come to think it´s just the way the males in my family are and I´m already the screwball among them.
You should have met my paternal grandad. I don't think he ever cracked a smile.

Soo, yeah, I´m from Cologne, Germany, 26 (holy fuckballs, feels like a minute since I was .. twenty or something) years of age and a student of Library and Information Science and hoping to have an interesting job in a library or research institute by this time next year. If I can't find anything maybe I´ll go on working constructions and stuff but I´d rather put my education to use O.o

I go by VonKleist after the german poet because I like the sound of it and because my dad used to call me "Heinrich" as a nickname and I like the sound of that too and it´s a fond memory.

I love this forum for the cameraderie and the people here for putting my shit into perspective insofar as that I´m not some major weirdo deadbeat asshole and there´s plenty of folks dealing with the same kind of psychological issues.

Anyway, it´s a pleasure to meet you all :)

here´s my picture

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2012, 01:54 by VonKleist »

Zingoleb

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:30 »

are you the dude from Chickpeas?

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:42 »

Why hello there!

My name is İbrahim, I'm 26 and I believe I'm the only one in the forums from Turkey. I've been around for... holy fuck, 6 years? I mostly lurk because most of the time I don't know how to put what I have in mind into English. My main contribution to the forums consists of posting photos of myself with cute girls :mrgreen:
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

VonKleist

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:44 »

@Zingloeb/Unicorn:
Yeah, I´m not too photogenic so if there is a decent shot of me I have to abuse it kind of :wink:
I see you changed your handle, but I knew it was you because of the sock-quote.

edit: Awesome cat, Ibrahim. I do think it might want your food :)

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:55 »

Heh, thanks. I believe he was after my soul.  :-)
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:00 »

Beep. I be Welu. The name is a combination of two old nicknames I used to have and I use Welu T. Dixon as my internet/artist/writer/irrelgular video producer pseudonym.

I started lurking the forums shortly before the break-up arc but didn't join till a few months later, March 2011 which is actually more recent than I though, when the forums calmed down to a level I felt comfortable joining. So I kinda knew a lot about people here before I signed up and looking back that's sort of weird and stalker-y.

I'm doing a university degree in a technical college in Northern Ireland. Studying creative media productions.

I have a doggy called Socks but she lives with my parents because my house is too small for a doggy.

I think that's actually a lot of information I've never said before on this forum.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 12:42 by Welu »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:27 »

Hey y'all. I'm Linds. When I originally joined my name was iamyourpirate but nobody remembers that because I thought it was dumb and didn't keep it for very long. Linds is my RL nickname that my mom and very close friends use, but I felt so comfortable here, I wanted to use that instead of my full first name or a screen name. I've been posting since 2006 and have seen all sorts of changes here! But I like how the forum has evolved and will probably stick around to watch it evolve some more.  :-)

I'm 26, will be graduating with a Masters in Art Ed in 3 weeks (!), currently have no real job prospects, live in Cincinnati, OH, am a huge nerd (gaming, fantasy/sci-fi novels, D&D, you name it) and I'm marrying one of my best friends (Michael, if you've seen me mention him by name and was all wtf) in June. I have met a lot of people through this forum and I consider several of them to be friends outside of the internet. I also talk about a lot of cats: Hobbes - lives with me and Michael, Parker - lives with my mom because he fights with male cats so can't live with Hobbes, Hermione - my mom's cat that is scared of pretty much everything but somehow gets along ok with Parker, and Harley - belongs to two of my friends that I used to live with that hates pretty much everyone except for the three of us. So if you couldn't tell, I really like kitties. And all animals really. (Which is why Bob Ross holding a raccoon is currently my avatar.)

Also here's a picture of me for reference:

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:48 »

(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #26 on: 27 Nov 2012, 12:01 »

(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2012, 12:07 »

You're actually cuter in that one.

Linds, fuck you.

Also, a photo of me should probably go here.

I'm linking that from Facebook so I don't know if worked.

Also I know how hilariously myspace this photo is but it was taken about two weeks ago...

Zingoleb

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2012, 13:34 »

If we're posting pictures, then here's the most recent one (I've cut my hair again; I do this when I'm bored, drunk, or emotional, and a combination of these states is usually in place).

VonKleist

« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2012, 13:49 »

Yee, neat... cap? :-D

Here´s one of scruffy-me

Zingoleb

« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2012, 13:58 »

This might sound weird, but you'd make a pretty girl.

VonKleist

« Reply #31 on: 27 Nov 2012, 14:09 »

Hah.
I already have come to terms with that fact.

My sisters are considered quite pretty, if you must know  :wink:

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #32 on: 28 Nov 2012, 09:07 »

My name is Baste and I really should be studying for this exam. Shit.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 28 Nov 2012, 10:48 »

Linds, fuck you.

:-D Looking good! Also I'm glad you posted a picture because I remember you when you used to post and I couldn't for the life of me remember what you looked like.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:23 »

Linds, fuck you.

:-D Looking good! Also I'm glad you posted a picture because I remember you when you used to post and I couldn't for the life of me remember what you looked like.

I don't think I ever posted a photo, which may be part of the reason.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:32 »

Maybe? But you look really familiar. And I don't think we're FB friends... Have you met up with any forumites before who might have posted a photo?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:43 »

We aren't Facebook friends but we totally should be.

And I've never met a forumite. Maybe I did post a photo, but if I did it'd most likely be one when I still had long hair. Eurgh.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2012, 14:28 »

Yeah, you look very familiar - I figured I'd seen a picture before. Is there another forumite who looks a lot like Gareth, people who know such things?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2012, 14:44 »

I remember exactly the picture you are both thinking of - and it's not Gareth, but I can't yet recall the person's name.  It may pop into my brain, or it may not - we shall see.

Papersatan

« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2012, 15:41 »

I think he looks a bit like Loco_banana (the Patrick Stephen and I used to live with) did, but his photos are all gone, so I can't link you to one he posted here. He has a similar shaped face and glasses, and took a lot of photos in mirrors with phones. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2012, 15:48 »

Dudes I never normally use mirrors  :psyduck:

USE THIS ONE INSTEAD

Papersatan

« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2012, 15:52 »

Second from the right.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2012, 16:15 »

Pretty convincing look for a demon made out of origami

Papersatan

« Reply #43 on: 28 Nov 2012, 16:24 »

(that was a photo of the former roommate)

Also, I am Satan to paper, not of paper.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2012, 20:19 »

I always read your name like the Sabres player who had the surname Satan. That is, I pronounce it paper-shuh-ton
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #45 on: 28 Nov 2012, 20:21 »

I'm still waiting for PlasticMacbeth to come along.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #46 on: 29 Nov 2012, 01:51 »

Gavin Troostwijk, Alkmaar, the Netherlands, member since 11-03-2006, fulltime stay at home dad, fuck-up and part time artist. I'm pretty, and so are you.

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #47 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:44 »

Is that your dinner, or the kid's ?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #48 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:10 »

He's two. that means the answer to that question is a resounding 'yes'.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

VonKleist

« Reply #49 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:14 »

YOu could be an excellent Mr Satan from Dragonball with a big old Moustache!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up