• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So where DOES Pintsize sleep?

The dent in the wall in the corner.
- 3 (8.3%)
Marten's room. Usually on the floor next to the dresser.
- 1 (2.8%)
In Marten's BED. (Ever since Dora left, of course.)
- 4 (11.1%)
In a Faraday Cage.
- 2 (5.6%)
Duct taped to the wall (right above the dent in the wall in the corner).
- 5 (13.9%)
In a lead-lined box at the bottom of the ocean. (He keeps coming back.)
- 1 (2.8%)
Or maybe a lead-lined box at the bottom of the river?
- 0 (0%)
He is Celing Cat. He sneaks in via the overhead fan.
- 3 (8.3%)
He sleeps on the couch, now that Faye isn't using it.
- 2 (5.6%)
He sleeps with the waffles!
- 4 (11.1%)
HE NEVER SLEEPS! (Cue wicked laughter)
- 10 (27.8%)
Something else which hasn't occured to me.
- 1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2338-2342 (10-14 December 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 63134 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Even if Momo has always worn clothes, in the old chassis her clothes were much smaller and presumably couldn't be hung up in a closet or she couldn't reach them. Now that she's human-sized they're probably both using the same storage space.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

For the first time reading QC I had to go into Google Translate. Is sartorial a commonly used word? Never seen it before.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Momo's clothes for the old chassis were changeable: she started out in something I would (probably wrongly) call a kimono.

Bathrobe.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

[ ... ]Momo, unlike Pintsize, has always worn clothes.
Not necessarily. Those could've been permanent clothes attached to the chassis. (we've never seen the old Momo chassis without those clothes, have we? Oo)

Yes, #1298  :-)

Huh, I just now made the connection between 1298 panel 4 and alt-1624.

Wonder if she still has such functionality in her new chassis. Did we ever see her projection capabilities?
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 01:13 by Toe »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

For the first time reading QC I had to go into Google Translate. Is sartorial a commonly used word? Never seen it before.

Not commonly used at all.  Beau Brummel reveled in sartorial splendor, but it's not been in common usage since about that time. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

westrim

Marigold and Momo must share an extremely limited closet space. It's not as if Mari is a clothes-horse; her wardrobe seems to be very limited. Jeph's comment on today's strip is a little odd. Momo, unlike Pintsize, has always worn clothes.
Clothes aren't the only things that can be kept in a closet.

There's also skeletons, orientations, bodies, money...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Here in the UK it is not in common use, but I would expect it to be fairly widely understood.

[edited to add "in the UK"]
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 11:33 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Adjamemnon

• Not quite a lurker

All I got is:  AWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwww.

And a wish for an anthroPC of my own.  :-)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I was actually more impressed that Marigold was aware enough to ask, that hasn't always been the case.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Well, Marigold has kept some pretty good company since her introduction. Besides, she's always been pretty considerate of Momo.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Here it is not in common use, but I would expect it to be fairly widely understood.

My parents say it all the time, and then nobody else I know does. But I gather that it means "to do with clothing", or "WAYF has a lousy sense of fashion".

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Welp, reading QC surely is a learning experience.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Here it is not in common use, but I would expect it to be fairly widely understood.
Well, mybe for those who have it as a mother tongue. I've never seen that word before but I understood what it meant because of the context... But if someone asked me what that word meant without any context at all I wouldn't be able to answer.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Marigold looks less budgy and more cute in today's comic.  Perhaps her friendship with Hanners and getting out more, as well as momo helping her live a bit better is starting to affect Marigold.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Agree, she looks specially cute today.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 08:11 by Mr. Doctor »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It's probably because she's completely relaxed at home with Momo; no tension in her shoulders making her slump forwards and such….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Well, she did just parade around in a skimpy bikini and not get mocked for it, which is almost certainly a first for her. So she's probably feeling pretty good about herself right now.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Did she? Or did Marten's awkwardness drive her off?
We just don't know…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

MILK!

That went completely over my head. Pop culture reference?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think Paul meant "here" as in "in the UK", rather than "on this forum". Certainly I think it's a reasonably understood word in British English. I mostly remember it due to the Sartorialist blog, which I don't follow but have heard of a lot.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Yes, I meant in the UK; sorry, I should take my own advice about being explicit and not assuming that people know where I am!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

No I understood what you meant, no worries.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

pwhodges needs a new signature:  "Just where the hell do you think I am?"
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

ink slinger

Jeph's comment on today's strip is a little odd. Momo, unlike Pintsize, has always worn clothes.

Unless he changed it before I saw it, Jeph's comment specifically says "full sized clothing." Momo's entire wardrobe, even if it were fairly large, could probably have fit in a single drawer when she had the smaller chassis. Now that she is human-sized, she needs more space.

That said, you're right. Mari seems to wear the same few things, so I can't imagine she's using a lot of closet space.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I keep looking at the robot pictures on the walls and thinking it's an odd choice for decoration... so I pretend they're pictures of Momo's parents... and then I have to pretend that somehow makes sense, just so I can explain to myself why it's not weird for them to be there.  :psyduck:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Manga -> Ludicrous Mecha -> Too hard/much effort to draw -> Toasterbots
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Maybe Momo is being sensible and not buying things she doesn't have storage space for - she wouldn't leave her clothes on the floor, surely!

slydon

• La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

She definitely looks slimmer here.

ink slinger

Also, I agree with the comments that Marigold looks particularly cute today. I think the suggestion that it is because she's at home and, therefore, more relaxed might be true. But, she typically slouched forward even at home.

The fact that she's wearing a tank top that appears to fit her properly -- as opposed to her usual oversized t-shirt -- probably doesn't hurt. It could also contribute to her appearing slimmer than usual, since oversized clothes tend to make you look larger and less-shapely than you really are.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

And this will be my new wallpaper (Taken from the last QA Dump):
(click to show/hide)

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

I love the robot art all over the walls

You can really tell that Momo has a very special place in Marigold's heart  :-D
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Never mind a wardrobe - where does Momo shut down for the night? I can't imagine continuing to share a single bed with Marigold could be entirely comfortable for either.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

I wonder what comfort would be for Momo.  Is it possible that she could simply disengage her touch sensors and be "comfortable" wherever?
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe the couch? Momo might be fine "sleeping" on the floor, but Marigirl would feel wrong about it.

Maybe the library needs a night watchman^H^H^Hperson^H^H^H^H^H^Hentity?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I would love to be able to shut off my arm if it was under someone else's head...ah, to not have that feeling of deadweight arm...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Hmm...where DOES Pintsize sleep?

God I hope he sleeps at all. Lord only knows what that mind does at odd hours of the night...something akin to Ethan McManus on acid.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Yelling Bird's secret.

EDIT: I suggest that the next poll be about where Pintsize sleeps.

EDIT: Why do they go into sleep mode anyway? It's not a necessity, at least not for Momo. Maybe they get bored when their human friends are conked out, but they have the entire Internet to play on, and AnthroPC-specific chat rooms. If they can just go to sleep when they're bored like (some) cats, why does Pintsize get into trouble?
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 23:43 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

I keep looking at the robot pictures on the walls and thinking it's an odd choice for decoration... so I pretend they're pictures of Momo's parents... and then I have to pretend that somehow makes sense, just so I can explain to myself why it's not weird for them to be there.  :psyduck:
Wall scrolls are one of the primary types of anime merchandise. They're usually much more complicated of course, but Jeph can't 5 hours drawing them every time. Here's someone talking about them and showing one off: http://otakudan.com/2009/12/new-wall-scroll.html

Never mind a wardrobe - where does Momo shut down for the night? I can't imagine continuing to share a single bed with Marigold could be entirely comfortable for either.
I've assumed she sat in the desk chair or indian style in a corner during the night, either shut down or in sleep mode or poking through the internet.

Pintsize sleeps on the ceiling. He is Ceiling Cat.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2012, 00:46 by Westrim »

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I'm a fan of "duct-taped to the wall", personally.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I wrote  bit about anthro PC sleep (and dreaming) in my only "fanfic", here

Basically, the idea is that AI sentience complex enough that they need some kind of downtime. 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

At least Momo presumably needs to recharge her batteries. Possibly also back herself up into cloud storage? Run housekeeping tasks? Or perhaps Carl is correct and above a certain level all intelligences need to shut down external inputs (after all, we don't die when we go to sleep, our brains are quite active) to integrate the experiences of the day, and dream of electric sheep.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I was actually more impressed that Marigold was aware enough to ask, that hasn't always been the case.
+1 Insightful

Now compare with the Emily/Pintsize interaction earlier on.

In one case, treatment as an equal, in the other as an object.

From Momo's expression, she's pretty pleased that Marigold so effortlessly made the transition. Possibly because she's a fundamentally nice person.

For extra credit - is Pintsize naturally a Fratboy Jerk, or is there something a bit less obnoxious beneath, hidden by a defence mechanism? Call that an exercise in seeing AIs as equals....  because we shouldn't give AIs lattitude that we wouldn't give others, nor deny them consideration.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ] and dream of electric sheep.
<3

@Comic:
I believe Pintsize might just have developed a taste for sleeping in the fridge next to some waffles.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

westrim

and dream of electric sheep.
Momo might, since she's an android now, but Pintsize is still just a robot so he can't yet.

Or maybe I'm over thinking this.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

and dream of electric sheep.
Momo might, since she's an android now, but Pintsize is still just a robot so he can't yet.

Or maybe I'm over thinking this.
I think you're underthinking it, actually. 

They're both running the "AI sentience" program, admittedly on different chipsets.  But you're distinguishing them based on their chassis... and that's a little bit racist! 

Carl-E

• Awakened

Momo does not need sleep.

To be fair, she's an unreliable narrator there.  I've heard the same thing from college students...

westrim

I think you're underthinking it, actually. 

They're both running the "AI sentience" program, admittedly on different chipsets.  But you're distinguishing them based on their chassis... and that's a little bit racist! 
Yay for Avenue Q references!

But android is just a descriptor - a robot made to both look and act human - and Pintsize doesn't meet the definition because he doesn't look human (whether he acts human is a question for a criminal psychologist.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So what are the two callbacks that Jeph mentions on Twitter?  One is obviously the duct tape; but I can't think of what the other is, at least specifically enough to separate it out from among several possibilities.

westrim

So what are the two callbacks that Jeph mentions on Twitter?  One is obviously the duct tape; but I can't think of what the other is, at least specifically enough to separate it out from among several possibilities.
Bunkbeds perhaps? Marigolds last encounter with them didn't go very well
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up