THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Farcry 3  (Read 22411 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Farcry 3
« on: 09 Dec 2012, 18:37 »

watching some videos of pleople playing farcry 3.  looks good, like skyrim and assassin's creed 3 had a FPS baby who lives in tropico.
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/12/far-cry-3-is-awesome/
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
Re: Farcry 3
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2012, 10:46 »

Loving it so far. I think I've just about completed the main story arc, and am just running around freeing camps and doing side missions.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2012, 12:03 »

I want it soo bad, but I am waiting until after the holidays in case someone already got it for me.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2012, 15:34 »

After finishing the game and hearing people talk about some of the characters it seems I've had the opposite reaction to most people.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2012, 03:29 »

I'm just about to start, not sure how to feel about it since I HATED Far Cry, and had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Far Cry 2 (seriously, you can't drive 50 meters without being shot at, and the acting was awful).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2013, 20:21 »

Just picked it up the other day and it is awesome!

Gregorio

« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2013, 20:55 »

Got it for 360, and I know this is a lame complaint, but the graphics suck to the point where it gets in the way of the game. I'll have to wait until I build my super computer some time this year.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2013, 00:07 »

Currently about... 2/3 of the way through, I think.

Really enjoying it, it's currently chewing up all my time and I'm spending the majority of it doing collectible hunting and such - especially since I noticed the relics are actually part of the tatau itself.

I'm also - trying to avoid spoilers - starting to get the feeling that something else is going on, story-wise. Not in a conspiracy sort of way, but in an actual 'something isn't right' kind of way. Unsure about it as yet though.

(click to show/hide)

But yes, still engaging me at any rate and enjoying it a hell of a lot. I haven't played any of the others in any great amount so don't really have much reference in that respect but I just love the open nature of the game and the mechanics within.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2013, 08:43 »

Got it for 360, and I know this is a lame complaint, but the graphics suck to the point where it gets in the way of the game. I'll have to wait until I build my super computer some time this year.
I was on the fence about whether to get it on the 360 or the PC, after watching the angry joe review of FC3 he said he played it on both and the PC version was way better exactly because of your statement above.  I say return it if you can and trade it out for the PC version if the store has it.

Gregorio

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2013, 16:24 »

No stores do returns on opened games out here, so I'm going to try to trade it in for something before it loses value. As far as the graphics go, they've sort of reverted back to the early-360-gen games of looking like a green lump for the ground with awful grass sprites thrown in so that it looks bad, and makes seeing/aiming at enemies difficult.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2013, 16:27 »

I'm really interested in this game, but it looks and sounds an awful lot like it has an incredibly problematic storyline and presentation.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2013, 17:35 »

I'm really interested in this game, but it looks and sounds an awful lot like it has an incredibly problematic storyline and presentation.
only for console, for PC it is pretty friggin sweet (and psychedelic!).  I have found no real fault with the story thus far.

ackblom12

« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2013, 17:37 »

I mean in the sense that it's basically a great big Mighty Whitey story.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2013, 17:39 »

from what I've gathered, its more like you are the most expendable person on the island...

also
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 17:46 by LeeC »

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:30 »

There is that Mighty Whitey element to it but again, I have my concerns over what is actually going on in the story anyway.

MOAR SPOILERS

(click to show/hide)

Gregorio

« Reply #15 on: 06 Jan 2013, 18:59 »

It feels like more of a deliberate way of making you feel like an outsider. Like you're this tourist going to a troubled country for fun times, and end up getting kidnapped and thrown into it. You work your way up from being a total schmo to working your way up to being a local.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jan 2013, 20:19 »

I'm still trying to work out why they keep using the Far Cry name on games that have NO connection to eachother. Unless this game ends with giant monsters and mad scientists, I'm guessing it's just a money thing.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2013, 20:56 »

I'm still trying to work out why they keep using the Far Cry name on games that have NO connection to eachother. Unless this game ends with giant monsters and mad scientists, I'm guessing it's just a money thing.
yeah im sure its a money thing.  Investors may think something new is too risky unless it has name recognition.

ackblom12

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2013, 05:20 »

I was hoping to wait until it dropped in price or there was a Steam sale, but this may have changed my mind.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2013, 11:38 »

Holy shit uplay is horrible.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2013, 14:24 »

I was hoping to wait until it dropped in price or there was a Steam sale, but this may have changed my mind.
holy scots accent!

Gregorio

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2013, 20:48 »

Holy shit uplay is horrible.
Yeah, I don't get Ubisoft. And while that Scottish guy's review is funny, he had a lot of great points, especially about the dubstepandbass soundtrack. I felt like a lot of the gameplay moments could have been enhanced with some real music instead of background robot farts.

ackblom12

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2013, 09:01 »

As horrible as uPlay is (and it's really fucking horrible) I'm so happy I got this game. I never liked Far Cry 1 and 2 felt like it wasn't well polished or even done really. This one seems to have fixed every last issue I had with the previous games. And dear lord it is so refreshing playing a FPS that is so goddamn colorful.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:37 »

And dear lord it is so refreshing playing a FPS that is so goddamn colorful.
yes , designers have gotten out of the black, grey, brown palette. :parrot: its soooo good.

ackblom12

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:22 »

So Tigers, leopards and mountain lions are assholes. Also I can't seem to find a single boar on this entire island, which is kind of irritating considering how little ammo the first ammo pouch holds.

Gregorio

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:43 »

So Tigers, leopards and mountain lions are assholes. Also I can't seem to find a single boar on this entire island, which is kind of irritating considering how little ammo the first ammo pouch holds.
Zoom in on the map, and you'll see animal icons on lands where you can find that particular animal. Don't know if you knew it or not.

ackblom12

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:45 »

I did, but until about 5 minutes ago there wasn't a single boar area around. Now I've managed to shoot most of my stuff up to the last or next to last level because of the Boar hides.

I think my one big complaint thus far, other than the music, is that I don' think falling is as lethal as this game thinks it should be.

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:56 »

One last inane thing I need to mention.

Could they have possibly made Jason look more like a total douchebro?

Gregorio

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:50 »

Yes, they could have made him look like that other friend of his.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2013, 11:55 »

Admittedly, I've been on the fence about this title.  Now, a friend that I trust has recommended it, and so I think I'm going to have to get it.  Best Buy has it for $59 still, but I'm relatively certain that I can get it less somewhere else, and not even talking used.  I think Amazon has it new for like $39. 

Anyway, yeah, I guess I'll be picking this up before too long.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

snotrocket

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • Famous Quotes
« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:14 »

Played it for a couple of hours but tired of the whole crafting system so I moved on to other things.  This thread makes me want to revisit.  2nd time's a charm?

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2013, 10:21 »

The first DLC has been announced;

Game of the year guys, sorry.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #32 on: 11 Apr 2013, 13:21 »

This looks pretty awesome, and I didn't even really dig FarCry 2.

Edit, didn't realise the above was the same video. Oh well.

Reminds me of my early childhood cartoons. Yes!

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 11 Apr 2013, 13:22 »

I'm really not sure what to think about it at all because I'm still flabbergasted that it wasn't an April Fool's joke and why does this even exist and why does it have Farcry 3 in the title.

I want it, but I still have no idea what the fuck is even going on.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #34 on: 11 Apr 2013, 13:46 »

Michael Biehn pretty much makes it a must for me.  And it seems to be standalone?  Even more awesome.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:01 »

oh my god they hit that nail on the head

Michael Biehn and bad cartoon animation? Yes Please with a capital Y and P

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #36 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:22 »

is that Mr. T as the bad guy?

Parkour Lewis

• Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #37 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:31 »

I rented it from Gamefly on a lark.  I never played the first two at all (well, I played FC1 for like an hour before giving up because it ran like crap on my system).  My roomate kept making fun of me because every day he'd hear me say "God, this game is shit" but then keep playing it when I found something awesome I wanted to play around with, and I ended up loving the game.  The Bow was my silent and deadly ever-present companion.  Slap the rangefinder on that bad boy and you can tell a sniper rifle to go straight to hell.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:41 »

The Bow was my silent and deadly ever-present companion.

Like the aftermath of some overdone broccoli.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ackblom12

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2013, 23:13 »

This interview about Blood Dragon has the best quote possible.

"The game's really stupid, and that's okay"

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2013, 03:44 »

I do love it when a developer just makes something to have fun with it. The best stuff gets made that way.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2013, 04:07 »

That's the thing that makes Ubisoft differ from EA. I can count a lot of reasons as to why NOT to like Ubisoft, but the one thing that I've always liked about them is that their games always had an identity of their own, something that made them Ubisoft. Can't for the love of it put my name on what that is, but I really like Ubisoft for doing things differently.

Bellyfish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:17 »

It was fun to play, although I found it to be somewhat empty. You'd think the developers would pack such a vast environment with countless tasks and stuff to do, but nope. Once the compaign was done there wasn't really anything left to do. Those side missions were kind of boring and finding al those relics and stuff is way to tedious. The campaign was pretty cool though and Vaas is a brilliant example of a villain
sure you do

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #43 on: 17 Apr 2013, 20:07 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #44 on: 18 Apr 2013, 00:51 »

Blood Dragon looks awesome, the only issue is my copy of Far Cry 3 has long returned to the Game Store from whence it came.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #45 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:32 »

Iirc Steam says it's a standalone expansion and doesn't actually need the original game to run!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #46 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:25 »

Not a valid youtube URL

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #47 on: 30 Apr 2013, 10:04 »

ackblom12

« Reply #48 on: 06 May 2013, 08:33 »

So apparently Blood Dragon may be getting a sequel?

I'm not so sure that's a wise idea. This is something that is gonna be incredibly easy to overdo.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #49 on: 06 May 2013, 13:49 »

Eh from what I hear even Blood Dragon alone overdid the concept - I haven't picked it up yet and I still will, but it's fairly predictable that the shtick gets old before it gets done, I suppose.

Also, for those interested, somebody linked me a really cool series of articles consisting of an interview with RPS and the writers for both FarCry 3 and Spec Ops: The Line. There aren't really any spoilers though certainly the writer for Spec Ops references a particular scene in the game a few times - a scene even without playing I'd heard enough about to follow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up