THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running into 2013  (Read 21592 times)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
Re: Running into 2013
« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec 2012, 12:53 »

I suppose...it's just harder to quantify caloric usage that doesn't involve actual weights and measures. Of course, most walkers calculate their calorie burn with a pedometer, values for their footstride and weight, and a mathematical formula that might not be all that accurate. Exercise is never an exact science, there's way too many variables involved. But it might be a little bit easier with more accurately measurable fitness techniques...like climbing ladders.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 29 Dec 2012, 13:52 »

Yeah. Also, using calorie counting to "quantify" what an exercise can do for you is ridiculous. Not saying you are wrong or anything, just want to add that.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #52 on: 30 Dec 2012, 00:43 »

Exercise is different things to different people, and the metric you use should reflect your goals. If your primary aim is to increase your body's energy consumption to facilitate weight loss, calorie or joule counting could be very appropriate. If your goal is to improve power output or VO2Max for cycling, for example, then you would want to measure those instead, either directly, using a powertap hub, or through a proxy such as heart-rate monitoring. But there is nothing wrong with quantifying your exercise, provided it doesn't reduce your enjoyment.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #53 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:07 »

Fair enough. However, calorie burning is often used indiscriminately as the primary goal of an exercise, which is, well, silly. An exercise will likely do many things for you, even if it has a primary goal in your mind. If you forget that, say, running strengthens your calves or improve your everyday well-being, you will not quite realize how good it can be for you. If you instead focus on the fact that it burns calories, you're only getting a very small picture.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #54 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:16 »

But that won't stop your muscles from being strengthened or whatever. I focused on calories when I kept track because I wanted to lose weight and I was using MyFitnessPal which tracks calories in and out. My legs still changed shape even though I wasn't concentrating. It's like magic.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #55 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:41 »

I went :) Ran for half an hour without stopping on the treadmill, with my speed between 6.5 and 7kmph. There's a slight blister starting to rub on my foot again; I had hoped that these trainers would wear in but they don't seem to have done.

How tight do you have them? I've found with running that a good quality pair of sports socks and loose trainers seem to do the trick to avoid blisters etc. They're just about tight enough so they won't fall off my foot really. But if you have to wear them in, it could be that.

I had heard from my buddy's parents (who are pyshcal therapists) said that running on an incline on treadmills is super bad for you.

Going to throw my hat into the ring here and suggest that treadmill running is pretty unnatural. Running on an incline is actually making you physically work, whereas running on a flat treadmill is just like running on moving ground, meaning you're not having to work so hard to push yourself from one step to the next. Not that I'm going to disagree with physical therapists, I'm just saying that I think its best to go on an incline when running on a treadmill. I actually think treadmills are shit and that the only way you'll get to be good at running is actually running outside on the pavement, road, track etc.

I went for a run this morning in my new super tight running trousers that make me look like I've been running since 1986. Didn't time myself yet but its the first sunny morning we've had since before Christmas so it was good to get out and think about how much I've eaten and the small dent this will make in my greediness.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #56 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:00 »

But that won't stop your muscles from being strengthened or whatever. I focused on calories when I kept track because I wanted to lose weight and I was using MyFitnessPal which tracks calories in and out. My legs still changed shape even though I wasn't concentrating. It's like magic.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic now but yes, it is like magic. I just mean that "burning calories" is just one aspect of exercising, which in my opinion gets way too much attention.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #57 on: 30 Dec 2012, 07:25 »

Especially since, as you point out, it's a measure that's nearly guaranteed to be inaccurate regardless of how it's done. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #58 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:40 »

Probably I do wear my shoes too tight, but I hate loose shoes. I think the trainers are just not very good; they were ten pounds from TK Maxx. I have some walking shoes which might be a good alternative to wearing trainers.

I guess it depends what your goal is. I hate running. I hate it. I have never, ever enjoyed it at all. I would rather go food shopping, or even clothes shopping, than running, and I don't enjoy shopping either. The reason I run is that I want to change the shape of my body, by both losing weight and also developing some muscles, and because I don't want to have a heart attack in my forties. I don't want to be good at running. I don't really care about my fitness level as long as it is better than "blobby fatty".
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 30 Dec 2012, 12:32 »

I understand that and good on you for working on it, if that's what you want. But... I really believe that if you knew what it's like to be able to sprint up a 100 m hill at full throttle 6 times in a row or complete a marathon or win a boxing match, you would never, ever, want to go back to feeling out of shape again. It's an indescribable feeling. Enough to keep me motivated, probably for the rest of my life.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #60 on: 30 Dec 2012, 12:56 »

I used to play ice hockey for the university, so I was incredibly fit for a while. Not as fit as you are talking about, perhaps, but the fittest I have ever been by miles. But I would rather get enough sleep and do other things than give the time commitment I had to do for ice hockey.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 30 Dec 2012, 15:14 »

You can achieve the level of fitness I described by training half an hour a day, assuming you are ehm... fully functional and healthy. I think a lot of people who trained when they were younger fall into the trap of thinking that fitness and health are inseparable from youth. Feeling good is simply something you do when you're 15 and haven't ever been sleep deprived or got through some kind of sickness or depression etc..... but that's false. You can feel better than you ever have, right now.

I sound like a tv-shop guy. Shoot me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #62 on: 30 Dec 2012, 16:33 »

I am going to start running before I quit smoking, I'm hoping it might help me with quitting and also help me feel better physically before I have quit. When I was still doing both I felt a shit-ton better than I do right now.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lupercal

« Reply #63 on: 31 Dec 2012, 03:46 »

May, if you're going to be serious about running, and running regularly, then seriously, spring for some decent trainers. I got mine for about £30 from a Reebok shop, and four or five years later, I still have them. That's £6 a year and they haven't fallen apart yet! Usually the thickness of the sports socks makes it so that the trainers fit snugly then you can just lace them up as normal.

Is there any way you think you'll ever enjoy running?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jan 2013, 13:21 »

I don't know, I think it would get easier with fitness but it's a mental thing not a physical thing - it's just boring. I spend the whole time wishing I could stop. I have a very short attention span and generally do best when I'm doing two or three things at once (unless what I'm doing is very attention-demanding and interesting, in which case I can hyper-focus). Listening to music doesn't quite cut it. Reading does help. Audiobooks would be even better but I haven't got any decent headphones at the moment. In terms of trainers, I thought you were meant to replace them every six months or so? I couldn't afford to do that anyway, but I certainly couldn't with £30 ones!

I think the ones I've got actually are reasonably good. They're Fila (Oslo UF00388 if that means anything at all) and I got them at TK Maxx, hence the low price. The only issue is the rubbing on one side of my foot.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jan 2013, 14:09 »

There's a running shoe called Oslo?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jan 2013, 15:15 »

That is what the inside label says, although I cannot find evidence of its existence on the interwebs.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #67 on: 01 Jan 2013, 16:04 »

...which is probably why you found them at TK Maxx (I'm guessing that's the UK version of TJ Maxx here in the states, a discount chain that resells cast offs from major department stores cheap). 

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 02 Jan 2013, 01:02 »

Start boxing Barmymoo.  :-) It's hard to get bored and lose attention when someone tries to punch you in the face.

Zingoleb

« Reply #69 on: 02 Jan 2013, 02:25 »

it's hard to stick with now that your motivation has shifted from 'don't be bored' to 'don't get punched in the face' though

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jan 2013, 02:28 »

Nope I don't want to do boxing. I would hate it. I didn't enjoy self-defence either. Tomorrow Jens and I are going on a walk (40 minutes each way with delicious lunch in the middle!) and I decided that would do instead of running this morning.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jan 2013, 03:59 »

Ooh, try whitewater kayaking! It's hard to become bored and lose attention when a raging river is trying to flip your vessel and drown you!

Okay, maybe that wasn't much of a motivator...but it really is fun, and a great workout for your arms, abdominal muscles, hips, and thighs.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Lupercal

« Reply #72 on: 02 Jan 2013, 15:20 »

Not too much white-water around in England though. I may be able to find a fairly deep, long puddle though.

Are you supposed to swap trainers that often? My thoughts when it comes to clothes are usually keep wearing it until it breaks/rips/makes me look 16 again.

Okay, so maybe you could try short distances instead of longer ones. Almost like circuit training, I suppose. Pick a distance (lets say, 50m?) and sprint. Rest, repeat. You won't be doing it very long and you can work up a real sweat with it. Plus you'll be awesome at running away from stuff. (Or towards things if you're that way inclined)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jan 2013, 20:17 »

Start boxing Barmymoo.  :-) It's hard to get bored and lose attention when someone tries to punch you in the face.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get distracted when someone is trying to hit you in the head. Trust me, I've gotten hit in the head many times at SCA practice because I got lost in thought.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #74 on: 03 Jan 2013, 00:18 »

Maybe you got lost in thought because you were hit in the head so often?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jan 2013, 00:29 »

Nah, the padded 12g steel helmet mostly keeps me safe.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 03 Jan 2013, 10:36 »

Well, you're a gorilla in sunglasses so I'm not surprised.

kaeawc

• Not quite a lurker
  • º╲˚\╭ᴖ_ᴖ╮/˚╱º
« Reply #77 on: 04 Jan 2013, 10:15 »

To everyone here who is seeking encouragement... I give you ENERGY

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #78 on: 04 Jan 2013, 14:58 »

In a bottle? 

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 04 Jan 2013, 19:13 »

Indeed...what kind of energy? I'd prefer something in nuclear form, but if all you can get me is electrical potential, I'll take what I can get.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #80 on: 05 Jan 2013, 09:05 »

zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAPPP!!!!

Spriteling

• Plantmonster
« Reply #81 on: 05 Jan 2013, 10:32 »

I'm new but I thought I'd join this thread. :) I'm planning to run a half marathon in April, and it always helps to have to be accountable to others. I go to the gym pretty frequently, but I find it hard to motivate myself to run on my own in the dark.  I am going to do it though!

kaeawc

• Not quite a lurker
  • º╲˚\╭ᴖ_ᴖ╮/˚╱º
« Reply #82 on: 06 Jan 2013, 16:15 »

It is of the magically invisible black hole type.  Not recommended for anyone of any age, yet I claim it still is a toy and is quite fun to play with.

More seriously: My energy is directly in proportion to how happy I am, and I'm happiest when I run.

I started running because I was annoyed at having asthma (silly body, not breathing when it really ought to).  Ended up defeating it and just kept running as a habit, and then as something I really enjoyed.  I have always found that running where there are others (around a lake, on a well-used path, etc) tends to help motivation a lot, as well as having supportive friends and making it something you look forward to.  I used to listen to music anytime I went running, but found that as I increased distance my pace would get really messed up by the tempo of various songs... so now I just run.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #83 on: 06 Jan 2013, 21:10 »

On Saturday I jogged 2 miles in 30 minutes and my legs hurt still.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #84 on: 09 Sep 2013, 14:21 »

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but this seemed like the best one. I'm running a half marathon you guys! That's 13.1 miles of hard slog round this ridiculously hilly city of mine, in a terrifying six weeks from now.

I'm not a total masochist and the reason I'm doing this mad thing is to raise money for the Birmingham Women's Hospital, who have the most amazing birth centre (for natural, midwife-supported birth without epidurals or interventions: it's pretty cool and really important that women can access these places) and also care for premature and sick babies from all over the region.

If anyone feels moved to donate to the cause, that would be wonderful. My JustGiving page is here, which tells you a bit more about the charity as well. But I'd also appreciate any advice from more seasoned runners, and some support in my last six weeks of training! The biggest thing that's keeping me going is running with a local club, and doing long runs at the weekends with a group who are doing the half marathon. Last Sunday I did ten miles (and then was exhausted and aching for the next four days) so I know I'll manage the distance. Just got to get the pace up a bit!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #85 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:21 »

I'll support you all from my comfy chair!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #86 on: 10 Sep 2013, 06:37 »

\o/

Yay for half marathons.  A very fun distance.  Congrats and good luck!

I'm about halfway talked into doing a half iron next September.  I'm not running at all at the moment, which is bad, but I've started swimming again, to go along with bike commuting (at least while the weather holds).

Let me know how justgiving works out for you.  If my neighbour does talk me into doing a half iron with her, I'd likely want to fundraise, since I have a close family member with lupus.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up