THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mafia 3 Sign Up Thread  (Read 13021 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: Mafia 3 Sign Up Thread
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:28 »

I think I've figured out my frustration over this game: it tends to be random initially, which then eliminates possible avenues of strategy that put you either behind or ahead from the start.

It kinda reminds me a bit of playing Monopoly, if that's too much of a stretch. The two most important things in Monopoly that determine success and/or failure is who succeeds in gaining and building up the first monopoly, and then which player bankrupts first - and to whom that player's assets revert to.

WRT Mafia, it all depends on determining who is who before you lose too many villagers/villains, and then it becomes attrition. Unfortunately, there's no adequate way of determining who is who without revealing who YOU might really be.

That's the frustration of the game - you need to really roleplay at the start to figure out who's who - before you start losing people. Equating that to my Monopoly example: you need to start buying up properties right away, then trade and deal to get properties you need, realizing some are more valuable than others. Just letting things go randomly will cause you to lose, especially after the villain side makes its first move.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zingoleb

« Reply #101 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:30 »

I prefer Mafia myself, though. The games are shorter than Monopoly.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #102 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:22 »

Perhaps a variant of the game which could deal with that is maybe having a first post thing where everyone introduces themselves? Obviously people could lie (and in fact probably should, to avoid showing their hand) but it would give people something to go on and make it a bit more fun.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #103 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:23 »

I think that would be a very good idea.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #104 on: 28 Jan 2013, 13:36 »

It's a good idea, but I'd rather not make it a rule. I'd rather have as few restricting rules as possible (which is my argument against the suggestion for a "no votes to tie the score" rule as well), as I feel the game plays out more interesting and dynamic that way. On the other hand, If someone just decides to introduce themselves, others will follow, and it will probably look suspicious not to do it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #105 on: 28 Jan 2013, 15:01 »

The problem with playing mafia online is when you get a bunch of players who rarely post and a bunch of players that do. When you're face to face, it's easier to call people out on being too quiet, but when you're online, it's difficult to tell whether or not it's a strategy of if the person is way too busy irl to play the game.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #106 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:38 »

Welp, all the votes are in. My problem is what to do with this night. Originally, if we reached this night and J was still alive, I expected there to be far fewer players left. I would have revealed J's identity and had his special ability kick in to wipe out the remnants of the village. Now we gotta settle for a much smaller spectacle that won't be nearly as satisfying.

Thanks, J. Thanks a lot.  :x

TheEvilDog

« Reply #107 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:47 »

Haha! Well you're all fucked now, ya little bastards!  :evil:

Black Sword

« Reply #108 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:54 »

Ever since you were the last man standing in the first game, TED, they keep wanting to make you the bad guy. It's like they're all convinced that with your name, it's too obvious for you not to be a bad guy. They reverse-psychology themselves into murderin' ya.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #109 on: 30 Jan 2013, 08:19 »

I know, and it keeps biting them in the ass. Its great!  :-D

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #110 on: 30 Jan 2013, 14:02 »

* Pilchard123 wonders if TheEvilDog is always forced out of an evil role for lulz
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #111 on: 30 Jan 2013, 14:09 »

To be fair, I was the last one standing in the first game, and I was one of the mafia. So it isn't like "TED playing a villain? No chance!"

Certainly didn't help in the second game, which focused on werewolves. :roll:

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #112 on: 30 Jan 2013, 14:43 »

Welp, all the votes are in. My problem is what to do with this night. Originally, if we reached this night and J was still alive, I expected there to be far fewer players left. I would have revealed J's identity and had his special ability kick in to wipe out the remnants of the village. Now we gotta settle for a much smaller spectacle that won't be nearly as satisfying.

Thanks, J. Thanks a lot.  :x

I take offense to this! It's not J's fault he's dead, it's mine.  :wink:

Linds pretty much nails why I think forum mafia can be rather difficult if people choose to be quiet. Though people here seem to be pretty good about letting others know if they'll be away due to real life issues, so it might be safe to assume they're just being quiet unless they say otherwise.

Whenever I get the GM baton (do we have an official list out there? I know a handful of us expressed interest in the previous sign up topic), I definitely want to give a forum version of The Resistence a go. It's mission based and only a subset of the entire group goes on each mission, so you can learn a lot based on who happened to be on the failed missions. Each team is chosen by a leader (a role that rotates, so everyone will usually have a turn) and each team has to be approved by a mandatory vote, so you pretty much can't get by on complete silence (at the very least everyone will have the chance to learn who you think is trustworthy).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #113 on: 30 Jan 2013, 16:37 »

I think if Black Sword wants to take a break after this game, Linds was the first to offer to run a game, then yourself and then me.

Black Sword

« Reply #114 on: 31 Jan 2013, 07:36 »

I'm definitely taking a break! I do believe that's the general order for GM-ship.

Anyway, when it comes to forum Mafia, it's basically a good idea to start out by lynching lurkers. It thins the pool of people who won't be helpful and can force the bad guys into making stupid moves or saying dumb things, which become tells. Innocents might be lost, but they weren't being useful, so oh well.

by the way, henri? When you protected Linds all those nights ago? Yeah, she stabbed you in the back.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #115 on: 31 Jan 2013, 11:13 »

It was an accident.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #116 on: 31 Jan 2013, 11:57 »

Like what? You were walking along with the blade and tripped, accidentally plunging the blade into Henri's back?

Well in any case, who wants to run the next game?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #117 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:29 »

I do not. I think I need a break before I run one. I also want to decide which version I want to do.

Black Sword

« Reply #118 on: 31 Jan 2013, 14:01 »

Game and Watch Forever, you are the next GM.

Of course, now that the game is over and Linds reveals that her saving throws suck, I get to right henri vs Linds double KO!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #119 on: 31 Jan 2013, 14:02 »

Okay, so looking at the the dates, this game went HILARIOUSLY!

Because think about it: BSword's message to linds about her conversion by J is on the 23. The very night J and GWF killed each other off.

So you know what that has to mean, right? In the same night that the Mages go after J, ending the Dead Apostle faction, he manages a last-minute conversion for the extra point!  :laugh:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #120 on: 31 Jan 2013, 14:04 »

Also, BSword, who was the last person I tried to check out with my awwwful attempts at being bandit-detective? I didn't have it set to save Sent Messages it turns out.

Black Sword

« Reply #121 on: 31 Jan 2013, 14:13 »

Nervioso was your last night stand. You barely escaped with your life from J before GWF decided you needed to chill out.  :-D

Seriously, Linds had awful luck this round. Every victim she picked was on her side, she killed the doctor analog, and the only reason there weren't more villager victims at her hands was that the mages figured out she was the vigilante analog and blocked her moves. Then, just as it seemed that she'd get to leave the game, J scores a 1 in 10 chance and makes her his successor right before he and GWF double KO each other.

The Mafia gods were most displeased with Linds this round indeed.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #122 on: 31 Jan 2013, 14:57 »

No no, I sent you one more that I never got the info for because that was my night to take a chill pill.

Err...get my ice kicked, maybe?

Black Sword

« Reply #123 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:03 »

I have Gareth and Nervioso as your two investigations. I don't have any others from you, though? Maybe you thought you'd get iced before you would get results?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #124 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:05 »

Weird. Maybe I didn't hit send? Oh well, not too important.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess I must have decided to let cooler heads prevail.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #125 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:34 »

I got investigated, eh. Well, being so suspicious in real life doesn't help you in a Mafia game, clearly.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #126 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:42 »

I was hoping to use you to save my neck from the noose. Because it didn't occur to me that there'd be more than 2 factions.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #127 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:54 »

I have no idea how I'd go about that.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #128 on: 31 Jan 2013, 16:30 »

Black Sword, I have to say I think you do a really good job as GM.  Mafia 2 here was the first online Mafia game I've played and I think you ran it really smoothly.  :-D
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #129 on: 31 Jan 2013, 22:45 »

Black Sword, buddy, thanks for running those awesome games! Hopefully what I end up doing will be at least half as interesting... more to come on that soon-ish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up