THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mafia 3 - Under the Moon  (Read 42709 times)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
Re: Mafia 3 - Under the Moon
« Reply #200 on: 17 Jan 2013, 20:21 »

Funny you say that, TRVA, I was just trying to figure out who the quietest people were and see if they were even posting anything of substance. Pretty sure I count Nikolai to have posted only ONCE all game and it was to cover their ass and throw a vote on de... with the little bit of time left and what little we have to go on, I think this is the best choice.

Vote Nikolai

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #201 on: 17 Jan 2013, 20:28 »

Y'all do kinda have a good point. I think I'll change my vote to Nikolai.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #202 on: 17 Jan 2013, 21:10 »

Oh come on now. This again? "I know, we have nothing better to do, so let's kill off the quiet folk!" Because that worked so well in the last two games...

But if that's the way it's gonna be, screw you guys. I'm stealing the ice-corpse-boat and going to that village a couple towns over. I hear my cousin has a nice thing going on.

Before I go though, I'm voting to lynch Cesium133 because they've been entirely too...normal.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #203 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:41 »

Nikolai, if God is in your heart you have nothing to fear!

To the gallows with Nikolai

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #204 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:31 »

Oh come on now. This again? "I know, we have nothing better to do, so let's kill off the quiet folk!" Because that worked so well in the last two games...

The (overly) quiet folk either...
a) Are a killer keeping their head down OR
b) Are a village person that is NOT helping the town in any way. They also make the killers' job easier, since it's easy to ignore a non-active villager and deal with ones that may actually end up throwing a vote against them, if nothing else.

With no decent arguments against anyone in particular, and a person who only seems to show up when their ass is on the line to complain, what would you seriously expect us to do?

And I'm sorry, but unless you can specify what exactly you expect that person to be doing in this situation, someone behaving too "normal" usually sucks as an argument. Though I guess it may be worth looking into depending on how night goes...

Black Sword

« Reply #205 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:49 »

The deaths of the good knight henri beamis and the scoundrel de_la_Nae seems to have done to the villagers what the previous nights of terror had not: galvanized them. Indecision and hesitation had left the villagers paralyzed, but now there was a thirst for blood. No leaders had risen up to take on the burden of opposing their faceless enemies, but were they necessary? The villagers gathered around and voted to lynch the taciturn Nikolai. Nikolai protested once, sharply displeased that once again his honor was in doubt, but he was no match for the gathered villagers. They quickly gathered around the nearest tree, right outside cesium133's house, and hung him.

When at last they went to check his home, they discovered he was no more than a normal villager. Oh, how their enemies must laugh!

The villagers go to the Church to pray, trying to keep faith.

Night 3
Nights left until the full moon: 3
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2013, 07:23 by Black Sword »

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #206 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:01 »

:meh: .....*brain explodes*

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #207 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:07 »

*puts head back on straight*

Okay, did someone fuck with the votes in the background or did our GM miss a page of Nikolai votes? This shit just gets more confusing and seemingly impossible to do anything about. @_@

Black Sword

« Reply #208 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:19 »

....our GM seems to have missed a page of Nikolai votes and is going to rewrite that post, because WTF, that stuff was NOT there when I wrote this!

Lynch Black Sword. >_<

EDIT: Sorry, all fixed now. Blah, what a game this has been. "Not it" on hosting Mafia 4.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2013, 07:35 by Black Sword »

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #209 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:31 »

ah fuck....

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #210 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:38 »

Gah!

Black Sword

« Reply #211 on: 18 Jan 2013, 23:22 »

Quote from: the priest
Dear people of the village. This town is in danger and I feel that not acting is doing us more harm than good. We are ganging up on ourselves and instead of delivering justice, this town has resorted to murdering innocents. Even I am ashamed to admit to acting in haste.We must take action, but we must do so cautiously. Seek guidance from our lord. Pray with me.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2013, 09:49 by Black Sword »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #212 on: 19 Jan 2013, 02:34 »

protip: the quietest ones are probably so quiet because they have no important role, so there's no real incentive for them to act. my $0.02
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #213 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:49 »

No real incentive? If it's not obvious, not speaking can get you suspected and killed (I think a number of us made that clear for a while). If that's not incentive enough, not speaking can help harbor the very people we're against. Cause if we leave quiet people alone, what do you think that encourages everyone, killers included, to do? And in a town where nobody says anything, you may as well be lynching by lottery. So yes, you are probably right, those people probably do feel that way. But those people need to think again.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #214 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:22 »

Not speaking can get you killed... Speaking and saying the "wrong" thing can get you killed... Why bother?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #215 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:34 »

Well if the rate of death from not speaking is 90% and the rate of death for speaking is 40%*, I think it becomes clearer what action gives you the better chance of making it.

Have we seriously lost all hope?

*Not accurate figures.... I am not a trained professional in anything that would make these numbers trustworthy... also this is based on lynchings not night murders... that's a different kettle of fish.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #216 on: 19 Jan 2013, 07:04 »

Breaking it down, Barmy spoke once and was killed in the night. Gareth spoke a bit and was killed. Henri spoke a little and was stabbed before they could say much else. Nikolai spoke twice, but he's never been the most talkative player. de_la_Nae was very talkative and she was murdered. It's pretty even right now.

This could possibly get me killed, but it feels like you are picking on the quiet ones out of convenience.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #217 on: 19 Jan 2013, 07:30 »

I'll admit that even though I didn't vote yesterday I wasn't entirely against lynching Nikolai.  The quiet logic just seemed more appealing than the tiny hunches I had against anyone else  :-(  sorry Nikolai.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Zingoleb

« Reply #218 on: 19 Jan 2013, 09:02 »

"I'm sorry" doesn't exactly bring innocent people back from the dead.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #219 on: 19 Jan 2013, 09:20 »

But if you really mean it and clap your hands, you might have a chance....and attract the attentions of the murdering psychopath lurking in town.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #220 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:45 »

Breaking it down, Barmy spoke once and was killed in the night. Gareth spoke a bit and was killed. Henri spoke a little and was stabbed before they could say much else. Nikolai spoke twice, but he's never been the most talkative player. de_la_Nae was very talkative and she was murdered. It's pretty even right now.

This could possibly get me killed, but it feels like you are picking on the quiet ones out of convenience.

I specifically said night kills are a different kettle of fish. And that's how most people have been killed.

So if we want to discuss that... Since the killers try to stay one step ahead of us, they'll employ whatever strategy will keep them safe and, if possible, get the rest of us to turn on one another. That makes their choices a little more chaotic feeling, especially to an outsider, but they'd be foolish to kill off the quietest ones since they give them cover and are the least likely to be a risk factor.

So is talking more than absolutely necessary a risk of getting night killed? Compared to the alternative of remaining quiet, yes, probably. But keeping quiet hurts the town overall and our main goal is to not get the town overrun. Keeping quiet runs against that goal. 

So re-address your question, Linds with a complete picture of both ways you can die:

Not speaking can get you killed... Speaking and saying the "wrong" thing can get you killed... Why bother?

If you speak, even if you are night killed, you at least gave us something to work with and contributed to the war effort. You made it harder on the villains to hide and probably made them have to tell lies that can later be detected and used against them. You made them have to throw votes around and created patterns that can be analyzed. When you don't speak, you contribute to the town's paranoia that we already have in abundance. And you give the villains a chance to just sit back and off people one at a time.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #221 on: 19 Jan 2013, 17:59 »

The full moon sounds like a very bad thing.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #222 on: 19 Jan 2013, 18:33 »

Werewolf?

(click to show/hide)

Black Sword

« Reply #223 on: 20 Jan 2013, 09:44 »

Day 4

When the sun rises, dreams end and reality intrudes. Suffering is the only thing that can be done. The villagers gathered in their daily ritual, resigned to the inevitable. Headcount is taken. Two of their number are missing. Some wise fellow, conscientious of the shocks of the previous days, shares a swig of whiskey with the survivors to give them courage. The search begins.

The villagers walked past the tree outside cesium133's house and opened the door.

A violent gale of wind burst through the door and assaulted the ears of the poor villagers. The villagers were knocked down even as booming noise left their ears ringing. Once they recovered themselves enough, they entered the now-creaking house. A strange, unnatural fog lurked within. When they finally discovered his body, it was completely unmarked.

After beating a hasty retreat from the unnatural demise of such an ordinary fellow, the villagers moved on to the house of the village apothecary, dr. nervioso. A somewhat anxious fellow, he was still a pleasant sort to have around. Braced for anything, or so they thought, the villagers opened the door.

They had not been ready. The enemy had apparently chosen to use nervioso's death to send a message. The unlucky soul had ripped apart, joint by joint, his pieces used to make a macabre shrine of sorts. Most horrifying of all, there was not a spec of blood to be found anywhere. A brief search revealed nothing else about this ordinary villager, just some missing herbs.

Appalled, the villagers return to the square, deep in the grip of hysteria.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #224 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:41 »

Alright, which one of you fuckers killed the Doc?

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #225 on: 20 Jan 2013, 15:30 »

I wish I were getting less confused instead of more confused.  The death of the doctor sounds like the work of a vampire but who knows what the deal is with cesium's death.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #226 on: 20 Jan 2013, 17:06 »

Right, I'm sorry, but this "Tie-the-vote-because-we-don't-want-to-hang-an-innocent" bullshit has got to stop. We've lost yet another 2 people, and one of them is being carried out in a bucket. We're not doing ourselves any favours by all this pacifist crap, because the longer we let this run, the more likely we're going to lose.

I'm sorry to say this, but as you've been one of the most vocal against lynchings, I vote we lynch Linds. We can't just sit on our asses, twiddling our thumbs and wait to be picked off.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #227 on: 20 Jan 2013, 19:43 »

Well it hasn't helped our case that our titled villagers haven't had any success at all so far.  I'd also like to point out that, while I agree that we have to start killing the enemy during the day, we've only hurt ourselves with all lynchings so far.  If I vote Linds today it won't be because she's been against lynching.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #228 on: 20 Jan 2013, 19:45 »

you've been one of the most vocal against lynchings

:psyduck:

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #229 on: 20 Jan 2013, 20:02 »

Okay I think I'm going to chalk up the killing of cesium to the "Dead Ancestor" which probably means two of our enemies were able to kill in the same night (for whatever that insight might be worth).

After reviewing posts I think that I'm actually going to vote to lynch bainidhe_dub.  By the posts it seems to me that it is very possible that he is one of the enemy.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #230 on: 20 Jan 2013, 20:24 »

I vote to lynch idontunderstand.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #231 on: 20 Jan 2013, 20:52 »

Hey now! I may be on the quiet side, sure, and maybe Granny was a mite superstitious, but I hardly think that's reason to go hanging a girl. I'm still kind of on the fence about these arguments whether lynching each other helps or hurts our odds, but the hell with it. If action is what you people want, then I vote to lynch Linds.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #232 on: 21 Jan 2013, 02:39 »

Fuck man

I'll get back to you on my vote. Fuck, what does this mean for the nemesis side? We get a doctor, what do they get?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #233 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:31 »

I agree she's been vocal... but I'm not so sure it's been against lynchings, so I think I'd have to agree:  :psyduck:
Mind explaining why you feel this way, EvilDog?

I'll need some time to figure out where this is going. With so few of us left, I feel like the answer should be right there.  :-\

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #234 on: 21 Jan 2013, 09:05 »

*she

sowwie, I was going to change it after I posted but the no editing is killer

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #235 on: 21 Jan 2013, 11:27 »

If action is what you people want, then I vote to lynch Linds.

Can I ask why? Especially after I've been protesting voting for people who don't post much (meaning you)?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #236 on: 21 Jan 2013, 11:32 »

I agree she's been vocal... but I'm not so sure it's been against lynchings, so I think I'd have to agree:  :psyduck:
Mind explaining why you feel this way, Evil?

I'll need some time to figure out where this is going. With so few of us left, I feel like the answer should be right there.  :-\

Its precisely because of this reluctence to vote that we've wasted opportunities and chances to get these killers. We've given them free reign to murder us and they know that there will be someone to tie the lynching vote. Either thats wilful ignorance or malicious tampering. If Linds is innocent, then thats on me and I will wilfully stand underneath that noose when the time comes.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #237 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:05 »

If Linds is innocent, then thats on me and I will wilfully stand underneath that noose when the time comes.

How confident are you that Linds is guilty? Answer carefully, because the above sounds almost like you're willing to gamble your life on it and I don't want anyone assuming you're taking full responsibility if she were to come up innocent. Last thing we need is to rush and be wrong twice.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #238 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:34 »

Hell, I don't want to see anyone die, but that seems unlikely with the full moon on its way. Here's my thinking: Out of the last three days, we spent two of them waffling and then killed Nikolai for being quiet. (Quiet. TOO quiet? No, just regular quiet, apparently.) Meanwhile the talkative types are dying in the night, picked off by one or several someones with awfully good aim. Our allies are falling around us and we've yet to find even a single one of the perpetrators.

I can't claim to have any strong evidence against you, Linds, but it seems to me that the time to act has come (as I suppose it tends to when one finds one's neck potentially on the line), so here I am. You escaped the hanging tree once before, and perhaps you will again, but I can't pretend I wouldn't be interested to see if you're really so innocent as you claim.

Riccostar, I can forgive a slip of the fingers. The voting to kill me, not so much. Maybe I should change my vote to you? But then we'd have a 1-1-1-1 tie for the moment, by my count. Would that be better or worse, after all the talk of ties lately?

*devolves into a fretting mess, counting on her fingers while muttering and trying to recall exactly who said what and where it's gotten them*

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #239 on: 21 Jan 2013, 13:32 »

I don't like voting against people when I have no idea what's going on and the past two rounds I didn't. If you want to kill your spiritual leader, then by all means kill me. I tried to warn you all with my sermons, but apparently those have done nothing. I tried to get people to come pray with me, but I was getting scolded for "doing nothing". Want proof? Here's part of the role that Black Sword gave me:

Quote from: Black Sword
Once a night, you may PM Black Sword a sermon, to be posted by him on your behalf. This sermon is your message to the villagers, to either build their spirits, damn them to hell, or simply express utter indifference to their fate.

So why am I voting for idontunderstand? Because whether you know it or not, I have actually been paying attention to what people have been saying and he's one of two people that recently changed their tune in regards to the religious aspect of the game and this made me wary. Also, someone is protecting him and as far as I know, our benevolent protector (henri the Knight) is dead, so it makes me wonder if there's a role on the bad side that can also protect their players.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #240 on: 21 Jan 2013, 17:42 »

Aw jeez, somebody get the syrup.

I take back my vote for Linds.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #241 on: 21 Jan 2013, 18:38 »

So far, to me, Linds has made the most sensible argument in support of lynching. I'll go along with her for now..

vote to kill Idontunderstand

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #242 on: 21 Jan 2013, 22:34 »

I figured Linds was our priest, if it wasn't actually some sort of NPC. And with this new piece of intel on the enemy possibly having a protector, then there's only one way to skin this cat...

Vote idontunderstand

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #243 on: 22 Jan 2013, 01:08 »

I don't like voting against people when I have no idea what's going on and the past two rounds I didn't. If you want to kill your spiritual leader, then by all means kill me. I tried to warn you all with my sermons, but apparently those have done nothing. I tried to get people to come pray with me, but I was getting scolded for "doing nothing". Want proof? Here's part of the role that Black Sword gave me:

Quote from: Black Sword
Once a night, you may PM Black Sword a sermon, to be posted by him on your behalf. This sermon is your message to the villagers, to either build their spirits, damn them to hell, or simply express utter indifference to their fate.

and what does that prove? you could have easily made that up based on our earlier discussion as to whether the priest was an npc or not.

anyway; even if you're telling the truth, sermonizing doesn't actually seem to help us at all in this situation. and stuff like this doesn't exactly paint said priest as the most benevolent of characters either.

Quote from: The Priest
People of the town - I have warned you about filling your heart with sin. We are in trouble - what needs to be done is not to turn against one another, it is to look within and pray to God for guidance and forgiveness! If you will not change your hearts, then it is my God-given duty to cut you down where you stand. I will not let evil take control! I will protect you! The only path towards salvation is to prostrate yourself before your Lord. Let us pray together!

i'm not voting yet because i'm still 50/50 on the matter, but you have made probably the best case against yourself out of anyone.

Why do you think I asked de to inquire about my role? Although it's convenient that I asked her to do that but now she's dead, because now I'm the perfect scapegoat.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #244 on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:51 »

You guys just don't like my hat, do you!?

But it seems that things have gone too far already. Guys, I'm a mere villager. You're making a mistake.

Black Sword

« Reply #245 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:00 »

The mood in the village had gotten uglier. Accusations flew and several thought that the death of Linds would be for the greater good. Linds stood firmly, illuminated by inner conviction, and convinced the villagers that idontunderstand, a fellow who wore a strangely dapper hat for such a grim place, was likely one of their foes. His behavior had changed in the stressful times since the enemies of the village had begun their campaign of terror, enough so that his fellow villagers and Linds were distrustful of him. Convinced of the rightness of their cause, the villagers laid hands upon him and strung him up from the tree outside of the creaking house where cesium had died. However, the first limb they tried snapped in half from the weight. The second underwent the same fate. When they finally found one that stuck, idontunderstand met his fate.

When at last they went to check his home, to their despair they discovered he was a normal villager. The change in his behavior was surely no more than a symptom of his fear.

The villagers despondently gather in the square. Were they truly damned?

Night 4
Nights left until the full moon: 2

Zingoleb

« Reply #246 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:52 »

No! This is really bad!

How can we be sure that there's monsters? Every single person we've killed has been just a normal human being in the end and it's scaring the hell out of me.  We're not getting anything done but killing off innocent people.  :-(

TheEvilDog

« Reply #247 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:00 »

Well then. I'll just stand underneath the Cesium tree and await the noose.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #248 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:44 »

shit

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #249 on: 22 Jan 2013, 14:36 »

*head desk*