THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 17:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 571522 times)

Lines

• Awakened

Lindsay Lohan -like.

Full of STDs? :mrgreen:
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Now a brief beverage lesson:

If you mix peach schnapps, Jagermeister and cranberry juice you'll make the wonderful beverage known as a Redheaded Slut.

Mix this same beverage with coke and you've made a Lindsay Lohan.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Drink it and you die.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Ever heard of a Sandy?

It's a watered down Long Island
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

GarandMarine

• Awakened

So I'm going for the Son of the Year Award, I found a good quality original pressing of Queen's News of the World. Case isn't perfect but disk is gleaming like it's new. My dad is a huge Queen fan, so his birthday present this year is made of win already.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

One of their better albums... and Queen don't have many good albums. Shitloads of good songs, mind. 'My Melancholy Blues' is absolute perfection. Shame that it opens with two of my least favourite songs of theirs.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yeah, I was originally going to do one of their live albums but when I inspected the disk it had a MASSIVE crack!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I really don't like Queen. Any soong of them. Not even Bohemian rap. And people make me feel like I am some sort of pariah for that.
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't massively dislike Queen but despite enjoying the fact that almost everyone seems to know the words to Bohemian Rhapsody I haven't ever been that fussed by them. But that is an awesome present for someone who does like Queen!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Queen fall into that same Nirvana territory where they are somehow underrated and overrated at the same time - underrated by those who only really know the popular stuff and don't understand the insane complexity and uniqueness of the music, but overrated by those who clearly don't listen to any of Queen's albums all the way through.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I understand that it is insanely complex music, certainly for its time. I just cannot find any worthwhile message in there.

Is Nirvana the same? Sounds less complex to me ...
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

What I meant was Nirvana are in the same overrated/underrated category.

They aren't complex, but they do deserve more credit than they get. Cobain had a very unique way with melodicism. A song like 'About A Girl' has some very bizarre chord changes. (verse is just Em and G, then the chorus is C#, F#, E, A, C put simply - it's weirder than it looks). It just shouldn't hang together, but it somehow does. Something being easy to play doesn't mean it's easy to write, either - I've tried to write songs with just three chords, deliberately, and it's fucking difficult to make something that isn't absolute ass.

As for a message behind Queen songs? No you pretty much have a point there, but - and this is a genuine question - do you look for a worthwhile message in ALL the music you listen to?

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I think there's a fair amount of message in Queen's music, but their really, really popular stuff is just the usual Arena Rock, which they mastered as an art form.

Interestingly while I love Queen I really can't stand Nirvana.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I do like to feel some connection to the lyrics of a band. If it doesn't mean anything to me or is very clunckily written it will annoy me and I won't buy the music. I appeciate writers who are basically poets who happen to make music. It's a bit more difficult in metal, since that includes a boatload of stuff I simply don't understand. I do worry about that. I hope I haven't picked up something incredibly third reich by accident. I can't not listen to lyrics and I'll judge bands on what they write and people if they don't listen to or are unaware of the lyrics of songs.

Nirvana is so much better than Queen, to me. Not to be rude to GM, but to indicate that lyrics are more important than musical prowess.
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Ahem. Music section?

I'm back home from Redball's and my intrepid trek around the country, and happy to arrive home to discover an email telling me that tonight's opera rehearsal is for men only, so I'm having an evening in catching up with my online course on Islam. So nice not to feel that I should be doing uni work - real, proper holiday!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I didn't know lawyers or couriers got up this early. I just got served papers walking out to my car regarding a child support claim out of SoCal, I don't recognize the name on the documents of the person who's suing me... any one know a good lawyer? Cause I might be screwed.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Is it definitely genuine? It is, after all, April Fool's!

I'm meant to be tutoring right now - my student came online on Skype about 20 minutes ago, but has now vanished. Hmm.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I'm pretty sure my work didn't schedule me for today just because I already troll them enough the rest of the year.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

I didn't know lawyers or couriers got up this early. I just got served papers walking out to my car regarding a child support claim out of SoCal, I don't recognize the name on the documents of the person who's suing me... any one know a good lawyer? Cause I might be screwed.

I hope for your sake it was an April Fool's thing :/
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

GarandMarine

• Awakened

It was my April Fools thing as it happens.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hah! Well I guess you got us, at least partly!

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yeah, there we more suckers on FB. My mother and a few of my Marine buddies actually called me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I read it, shat myself, then realised what day it was and chose to wait until today  :mrgreen:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

One of my closest friends just told me, "I can never tell when you're drunk. You have the same shit-eating grin sober or drunk." I've never heard a better thing said about me.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

First day of semester and first day working my job! <3
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Now, I know that you shouldn't put aluminium foil* (tin foil?) in a microwave oven. Everybody knows that. For some reason I didn't think far enough to realize that an aluminium lid would be a bad idea.

So I kinda put our microwave oven on fire. As in the lid caught fire, the roof of the oven melted, and the kitchen stinks. I was fast enough to prevent the fire alarm from going off, so that's a plus, but I think this is the dumbest thing I've done in my life.

It was a kinda weird experience to walk over when the microwave oven made the "I am done"-beep, and see a burning lid inside it. Took me a second to register what was going on.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I did something similar once except the other way round - I put a plastic lid in the oven. After the hour and a half that the casserole needed I took the dish out and thought "I don't remember putting mozzarella on top of this". And then I realised I had shrink-wrapped my dinner.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

When my wife and I moved in together, her habit of putting wet dishes in the oven to try and my habit of pre-heating the oven resulted in a Dali-esque plastic bowl.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I once set toast on fire because it got crumpled up inside the toaster and didn't jump out of it when it was done. So the toaster continued heating.

Luckily, the toaster was on a fire-proof surface and there was nothing close above it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Rarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh why can't I get through to the community team I'm working with next week? I've rung at lunchtime, when they're usually back at base, and I've rung at 9.30 when they're usually all there (mostly they don't leave til about 10). Tomorrow I'll ring on the dot of 9am. I need to know my shifts!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

This evening marks the first time in my adult life that I have been physically assaulted ('s OK, I'm not hurt).

I was walking the dogs in the twilight, and they were wandering ahead of me, off the leads, when we came on a man with an old dog on its lead (I have met this man before; the previous occasion was just over two years ago).  As she passed them, my older dog, Polly, turned to the other dog and barked in it's face several times, she then wandered off, having more interesting things to do - so I kept my attention on her, while intending to apologise to the guy for his dog being startled.  But as he came alongside me, he swung his arm, open-handed I guess, at my face and knocked me down (part-way, as I ended up against a fence), shouting "What a fucking bastard you are!".  By the time I had recovered my composure, he was well away, and I didn't feel like going after him to extend the experience; I also had to find my glasses in the dark, which I wouldn't have fancied having to pay for the replacement of.  The glasses are fortunately undamaged, as is my face, though it's still stinging slightly.

Last time I was in a physical fight was at boarding school at the age of eleven, but that was at least two-way (I lost physically, but won morally, as he was a well-known bully and I'd had a go).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I don't know what I'm angrier about, that this happened at all, that it happened for absolutely no fucking reason, or knowing that I am technically within physical proximity of the bastard that did this to you. Hope you're okay, Paul.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Sounds like a real nice guy...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Thanks, guys.  I am just reporting the incident to the police, so that there is at least a record to refer to if it happens again.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sorry to hear about it :(, and glad you escaped any serious injury. :)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!

Glad you are okay, Paul!

Lines

• Awakened

What a dick. I'm glad you're ok, Paul!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

How thoroughly bizarre. His insult seems almost Shakespearean as well. "Avast, ye cad!" and so forth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Well, I agree that my dog barking at his close up could be annoying; and the other dog, though as large as mine, is nervous and got frightened.  Also, the same thing happened (the barking bit, that is) in February 2012, so obviously my dog is completely out of control and this is intolerable! (On that occasion, my dog kept barking for longer - this time she wandered off after a few seconds.)

Yes, what he shouted was strangely worded, which is why I remembered it so exactly.

My baseless guess is that the owner is having a sad and lonely retirement (I think he's about the same age as me), and his ageing dog is his only remaining companion, so he perceives the barking at his dog as an attack on him and his dog's fright is a reflection of his own insecurity.  Or something - I'm no psychologist.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I too have a theory of my own.
(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I'm a specialist in the field, and I concur with Gareth.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

WTF is a 'tosser' ?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Tosser (Noun, Adj) 

Literally, one who masturbates. Common usage typically refers to anyone of whom you have a low opinion.

while the word wanker is a more general and term for expressing disdain for somebody, the word tosser describes a person with a tendency to show off or brag in an excessive and embarrassing way.

Or someone whose explanation of a word consists solely of another synonym.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I feel like 'Tosser' has fallen out of usage lately and doesn't really offend anyone - I mean, who out there doesn't masturbate, and of those people, who would be offended at being called a masturbator as an insult? - unlike the majority of insults which have some root in sexism or other prejudice.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I always took tosser or wanker as implying you're so wrapped up in your own greatness you're constantly self gratifying yourself... over yourself.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That certainly makes it much more insulting.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I have a former friend who is now referred to by everyone who knew him in the circles I move in as "that tosser".  He fits GM's description to a T.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

That's how it was originally described to me by an Aussie friend any way...

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Ugh. I'm sorry you had to deal with that but very glad you're ok. I'll never understand people lashing out like that at complete strangers. Dogs bark. It's not something we have much control over.  :roll:

As a side note, I thoroughly enjoy that definition.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I stayed awake until something like 2 am yesterday and had to get up at 7 today. Then I spent the day listening to boring lectures with barely any break inbetween. I am now trying to sleep. People in the kitchen opposite me are playing 99 red balloons, and while I appreciate the anti war message, cannot they stop it. (Technically, they are within their rights, it's only 8pm.)
Now they are playing "walking on sunshine".
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98   Go Up