THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 557945 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Thanks. :)

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

That sounds a lot like you have a touch of the influenza.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I had a little bird
its name was Enza...
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

That sounds a lot like you have a touch of the influenza.

I was worried about that. I seem to be recovering pretty quickly though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

People in bars are annoying sometimes.

Last night we had what could have been a very depressing work Christmas night out (only six of us, neither I nor my girlfriend drinking) but was actually great (my six favourite people, both of us can have fun without getting drunk). Anyway, we moved to the second pub of the night and the ladies excused themselves for various reasons; heading to the bar or to the toilet, leaving me and my two buddies, let's call them E and R.

Suddenly unprovoked a random girl from a nearby (hugely irritating) table appears out of nowhere and the following exchange happened. This isn't quite word for word but it's close:
Girl: Don't hate me, okay?
Me: Why.
Girl: I'm going to kiss you on the cheek.
Me: No you're not.
Girl: What?
Me: No you're not. I don't hate you, but that's not happening.
Girl: A hug then?
Me: Nope.
Girl: Why?
Me: Because I have no idea who you are. I don't hate you. I'm not offended. I'm not angry. But I'm also not hugging you.
R: His girlfriend's at the bar. (note: This actually irritated be because individuals should be able to have more agency than needing a relationship as an excuse not to invade the personal space of strangers)
Girl: Oh thankyou! It's (I forget the specific phrasing but she said something about a wedding, showed us a card that was from a drinking game or something, for some reason her age came up). How old do you think I am?
R: I dunno. 34?
Girl: 34??? *sits down* I need a lot more drinks now.
R: 34? I don't know. I have no idea.
E: 19?
Girl: I can't believe you said 34!!!
*I pick up the card from the table. It says on it that you have to get someone to guess how old you are and this gets you ten points. No mention of hugs or kisses anywhere on it.
R: I don't know, and I don't care.
Girl: 34???
R: Alright, fine. 18. 18. If I say 18 will you just leave us alone?
*lanky blonde gentleman appears and all but physically removes her from the situation back to the table*

Drunk people are a lot more annoying when you're sober.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened

Yes, yes they are. I think it's in extremes for me. I either find it hilarious interacting with drunk people or I find it annoying as hell. And it doesn't seem to matter if they are strangers or not, because I do have some friends who can get icky when they start getting too drunk.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Hey, everyone! Guess what I got yesterday!

(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Me too! My sister bought me ginger, lemon and honey so I'll all set for today. Not looking forward to a 4 hour train ride tomorrow though.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

So I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but some fucker T-boned me as I was coming back from the wedding Sunday. My insurance company had a collective brain hiccup and left me stranded on the side of the road with no help getting a tow (despite the fact that I actually pay for an extra service specifically for tow service and road side assistance no matter what's going on). So I'm here now to talk to you a little bit about wrath.

Wrath: Effective at getting shit done since Year 0.

My insurance company manages a lot of it's accident cases and much of it's other work through a very cool online system, which includes the ability to leave the company feedback on how they're handling your specific claim, so when I got in on what was by then Monday morning, I left some blistering feedback  then during normal business hours spoke at length with a manager, I got the bungling tards who fucked up last night disciplined at least and probably canned in one case, (the guy violated all policy and procedure, likely just in the name of getting me off the phone so I wouldn't be his problem) and they're comping the long range tow from Greeley (bout an hour away) to a recommended mechanic in Lakewood where I live.

Remember kids, go for the best sin for your win, Wrath.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Oh yeah, it definitely works. It got me a 1-man high school class, a renewal on a temporary motorcycle license that I needed to move around (since I live somewhere in the middle of nowhere) and grounds to claim a grade increase on the useless shite 101 course I have to take.

Wrath works kids.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Waited at the hospital for an hour. Dental surgeon pulled my last wisdom tooth in 5 minutes. Hooray! Also, ow.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

This was the most fun Xmas my family has ever had. Everyone was in a good mood and for the first time ever I was able to get them gifts.

I got new black slacks that actually fit me (my sister knows the lanky fucker struggle) and a Sharks jersey. I gave nearly everyone a bottle of wine. I have my non-drinker stepmom some regifted cherry things someone gave me that I wasn't going to eat. I gave my park ranger stepbrother a high-zoom pair of binoculars so he can spot critters or misbehavers or what have you. It was a guess but turns out it was a good one, he was really excited about them. Success'
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2014, 17:27 by Patrick »
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the Sharks jersey. Maybe you can return it and get a better team's sweater?  :claireface:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I got a big pile of cool stuff... including Christmas money I used to get the rest for... and uh... I used that for all sorts of interesting stuff.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

We had a very nice Christmas! Nick and I hosted our very first holiday dinner at our house and it was really nice.

Christmas Eve, we went to his parents' house, had some munchies and exchanged with his family. His sister's fiance had to work but everyone else made it over (she's a nurse and probably made more on Christmas Eve than I make in a week.....I'd work too lol). They gave me a Michael's gift card and a nifty pin that was made by a local artist from their trip to Oregon. He made it out of a fork and it is insane and awesome. My brother in law and I stuck to our tradition of book exchanges- he gave me the latest Chuck Palahniuk book and I got him a Godzilla graphic novel. My parental-in-laws got me a pretty spiky bracelet, a watch, a book about beading and some cash with an adorable little note. Everyone loved their gifts from us too, so I was really happy about that. I pride myself in being a great gift-giver :-P

After that, we went to Nick's cousin's house and did our traditional pot-luck dinner and grab bag. We had a lot of fun and the food was awesome. I also tried a new recipe for sweet and sour meatballs that was divine. They were gone almost instantly and I now have a super easy dish that I plan on making ALL THE TIME.

Nick and I exchanged Christmas morning and he really out-did himself this year! We always set a limit and we both stayed within it but his gifts were so ME. He got me books by Adam Ellis and Allie Brosh (which he knew I've been wanting forever), a sugar skull calendar, 2 boxes of ribbon candy, Bio-Dome and Dude, Where's My Car on DVD, a stuffed Baymax and a 28"x36" cutting mat. I almost peed myself when I saw the mat!! I gave him the idea for one months ago and completely forgot and never imagined I'd get one that big! It's gorgeous.

After we exchanged, we cleaned up and I started up some dishes for dinner. Hosting is a lot of work!! I made a ham, a turkey breast, baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, pilaf, stuffing, corn, broccoli, coleslaw, cranberry sauce and biscuits. For dessert I made a pumpkin pie (from scratch with fresh pumpkin, mmmmm) and I bought some double chocolate eclairs. I definitely overcooked the ham and everyone joked that we should have made pulled pork sandwiches but it tasted delicious and wasn't dry at all! Not too shabby for my first time cooking a ham. I'm a little bummed that Christmas is over now but I'm happy that it went well and I'm excited to start a new year.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I read "a book about beading" as "a book about beheading"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the Sharks jersey. Maybe you can return it and get a better team's sweater?  :claireface:

I will stab you and poop in the wound

Speaking of stabbing, I also got money for a new tat. It will be either Firefly or Elliott Smith related

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I posted this on Facebook, but I am sharing it anywhere I can.

A lot of the male members of my family died before I was born - both my grandfathers and two of my four uncles passed away before I was born or very shortly after I was born.

One of my uncles on my father's side was apparently very musically gifted and I have always been told I'd get along well with him. But of course, I never knew him. I've never had any grief, never felt like I've missed out, never felt any connection. He has always been an intangible blur in the background of my life somewhere.

On Christmas day one present I received was an envelope marked to me, and from my father. Not both my parents - just my father. This confused me, as they are... you know... a tandem.

I opened it up, and discovered a letter from my father. Basically, in 1966 my uncle was in a rock band, and they cut an EP. Only a few acetates of what they recorded were made, and my father has one of them. He's got a USB-ready record deck and he's recorded the songs from it for me.

I'm honestly overwhelmed. I've not even listened to it yet, although I am hoping it's good, but I feel an immediate affinity and connection with a man in my bloodline who I never once knew. I feel more a part of my family. And even the music geek in me is bugging out because I will have some music that maybe two dozen people on Earth will ever have heard.

I can't wait to hear it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

If it's not too personal to ask, I'd like to hear.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Little Cheese, I got Allie Brosh's book as well!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If it's not too personal to ask, I'd like to hear.

Only two tracks work, the first track and a Chuck Berry cover. Trying to find out if my uncle wrote the first one so I can cover it and send it to him. They are, by the way, both bitchin' - very of their time, but great stuff.

I'll see if he minds me putting it online.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Gareth, that is so awesome.  :-)

Welu, I can't wait to read it! In addition to being hilarious, her and the bloggess did wonders with helping me handle my anxiety.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I had my first ever truly insufferable customer at this job on NYE. I ring his shit up and before I even understand what he's mad about, he starts being a dick about shit.

I haven't had someone act like such a shithead in years, so I told him in no uncertain terms that I was done dealing with him, and that if he wanted help, I would find him a manager.

Got him a manager, and the entire time, he kept talking shit about me so I could hear him. I lost my temper, turned around, and told him to "say one more god damn word about me, you prick, I dare you." He shut his stupid face up right quick.

I didn't even get so much as a talking to for it. Completely without consequence.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Power went out at my mom's house, so to pass the time I'm burning through my cell phone's data plan at blazing fast 2G speed.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Agreed about drunks. There was one sitting next to me at breakfast.

Minus 4 Fahrenheit here in North Dakota. The torrents of power from the locomotive are keeping it at bay unless I get thrown against a window.

The friend who will pick me up from the train station said it was weird to hear that I was leaving Chicago on the day before the day before my arrival. He said it was like getting an email from 1940.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I need to think of something other than 'Mentat.'

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Well, you're a mentat, you CAN think. In fact it's one of the things you are really good at. So, this should be easy.

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Metope

In Stockholm for work training! So far I've learned that Swedes are way worse at understanding Norwegians than Norwegians are at understanding Swedish, and there aren't a lot of traditional type restaurants here. Lots of hip food courts and ultra hip small places with deliberately mismatching interior. Stockholm is very hip. A little too hip, and I'm not even in the hip area. S'cool though.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I'd fit right in, I'm so hip I can't get through doors without turning sideways. I'm so cool you can keep raw meat in me baby, yeah!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

In Stockholm for work training! So far I've learned that Swedes are way worse at understanding Norwegians than Norwegians are at understanding Swedish, and there aren't a lot of traditional type restaurants here. Lots of hip food courts and ultra hip small places with deliberately mismatching interior. Stockholm is very hip. A little too hip, and I'm not even in the hip area. S'cool though.
I heard that Stockholm was hipster central, but I never got to visit. Did I hear it here? I can't remember. I did see Gothenburg though, and it wasn't all that hip, but pretty classy in places. In fact, the friend I went there with refused to eat at the restaurant that my Swedish friend had made reservations at because it looked so classy. It turned out to be kinda pretentious, the food was just okay and there were fruit flies, I swatted one and got the attention of half the restaurant, haha.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Metope

There are fruit flies everywhere! And yeah, most of the food has been... not that special. I don't understand why there can't be any restaurants where you just sit down, order, wait, eat, pay and leave, they have to invent all sorts of new ways to serve you food so that you feel stupid when you don't know how it works, or they get annoyed when you ask for things. It's kinda hipster central yeah, but then again I look like that too so I'm not gonna judge.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Time flies like an arrow
fruit flies like a banana
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lines

• Awakened

Have they not heard of fly traps? Because that sounds kinda gross and very annoying.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Dear blog thread,

It's time for an update. Many nice things have happened since the last one. I got some shit done and feel lighter than a feather now that I don't have as much hanging over me.

We've finished almost all the renovation and the apartment looks incredible. Had it appraised yesterday and the lowball estimate is in line with what we've seen, while the upper limit is very difficult to estimate because it's a pretty unique apartment for this area. We're probably moving soon, which is both exciting and terrifying :o I'm going to miss this apartment very very much, but it'll be nice to move to a larger better-planned and undervalued apartment that's almost as close to work and costs less than the one we have now. No mortgage, booyah :o

The weather her has been incredibly crappy but I've finally decided to abandon my dignity and now wear much warmer hats and gloves that make me look like a Scandinavian caricature. We did have a couple of wonderful days around Christmas, though, when there was a lot of snow. At the time we were house-sitting for my in-laws and I discovered the joy of living in a cosy house, living in a quiet place and running in the snow with a crazy dog. I've spent most of my life in cities and been kinda reluctant to embrace these things but this time it felt great. I also discovered that I like cars, esp. cars that keep your butt toasty warm :o I drove a car for the first time and went in circles both clockwise and counter-clockwise without hurting anyone. The car didn't start the next day but it turned out to be due to the cold.

Both the wife and I got a little sick of our silliness and decided to get more organised and active. It's gone fairly well so far. I'm almost on top of my paperwork and I've discovered the perfect digital to-do-list for me (Any.do, which we both now use). The list was incredibly long at first and refused to shrink but it's slowly been tamed over the past couple of weeks and now it seems manageable. It's also become a habit, which is nice because I've never been good at maintaining that sort of habit before :) all sorts of annoying but kinda important things that I'd been putting off have been cleared away. In addition to this increased productivity we've also become more active and pro-active, which is very pleasant. I have an almost limitless capacity for bumming around at home before the computer but the missus does not and she was not happy about our combined lack of drive.

I've had a great deal of time off these past couple of weeks, far more than I thought I would. I worked Christmas eve (during the day) and that was great. Discovered that I really do love working the day and also discovered that it's very nice to be able to determine the menu and eat everything with the Ginger, on the couch, while watching '80s/'90s action movies. I don't know if I'll ever want to do Christmas with either of our families again :o

After Christmas I had a week off and it felt like a MONTH, in the best possible way. Went to sthlm for the first time in AGES and it was incredible hanging out with my family. My sisters are SO BIG! I get shocked every single time. One of them is applying for some sort of artsy track in highschool and I think that it may actually be a good idea for her. I got along better with my dad than ever before. My mum went a little crazy with the whole packing thing but it worked out all right and she and my sis made it to my stupid home country safe and sound. They'll be attending a ridiculously large wedding that I'm honestly a little happy I'm missing.

In addition to this we hung out with some of my closest friends and, for the first time in years, I began to feel like I might want to move back to sthlm. I hope this desire dies soon :o

I'll be in charge of the ward for a couple of weeks in spring and that's kinda like (O.O) but I'll have a lot of support and it's a sign of confidence so that's kinda nice. Have some ideas for the clinical education of our students as well as for the education of our new colleagues and I hope they work out.

These past few weeks have been pretty good tech-wise as well. Switching to Lollipop cost me a ton of open tabs and other goodies, but it's a great OS. I've upgraded my old Touchpad and it's still frickin' fantastic, best purchase I ever made. I've figured out a good setup for the NAS. I've upgraded my mum's computer, replaced her gigantic CRT-TV with a flatscreen (and sprained my by back-muscles in the process of getting that hulk out of the apartment), gotten some stuff for the ginger, found a portable battery charger (that's when you know you have an addiction I guess :() and finally ordered a Google Cardboard kit. I'm just ridiculously excited about the last one, it's basically my favourite kind of invention and the possiblities are endless :D ordered a couple of ViewBoxes from kickstarter too.

I've just now stuffed myself with membrillo, cheese and crackers and been notified that a present is on the way:

And another:

Very happy. That'll do for now :)
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2015, 15:04 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I'm so cool you can keep raw meat in me baby, yeah!

Challenge accepted, bae.

Dear blag thared,

The holidays are over and I'm back to being bored as fuck all the time, but at least now I know I can regularly entertain myself with Netflix while saving money on not smoking or drinking at the bar.

I've got an appointment on Monday to get myself a new tattoo. It's gonna be of Serenity from Firefly, she's gonna be on my right boob. I'm really really excited about it, but just a bit bummed I can't show my family. They disapprove of tattoos. Y'all shoulda heard the earful my mom gave me about my Albanian eagle a couple years back, haha.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I just realised I don't think I've had a standard week, which is meant to be only two days, at my new job since I left the other place a few weeks ago. I'm actually working from tomorrow and every day to next Sunday. Need the money though so it's cool.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I made a facebook page for my kid's toy sheep. What would one put on such a page?

It's a fan of the Rams and the Packers, of course ...
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I've got an appointment on Monday to get myself a new tattoo. It's gonna be of Serenity from Firefly, she's gonna be on my right boob. I'm really really excited about it, but just a bit bummed I can't show my family. They disapprove of tattoos. Y'all shoulda heard the earful my mom gave me about my Albanian eagle a couple years back, haha.

It took my mom a couple years, but she's really come around on my ink. She's even getting a tattoo with my kid sister and another mom/daughter they've been really close with since el kid was little. My grandparents do not approve at all.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I made a facebook page for my kid's toy sheep. What would one put on such a page?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I just reviewed footage of the SWAT dynamic entrance/hostage rescue at the supermarket in France. I really, really hope that was GIGN, because the initial entry was fucking embarrassing on an international scale.

Protip: If your point man makes entry you FOLLOW HIM THROUGH THE FUCKING DOOR. CQB is all about dynamic, high speed violence, the hostages do not have the time for you to peek around the door and pussy foot about, you need to be through the entry, clear of the vortex of fire and engaging targets as quickly as humanly possible, because the faster you are the better chance everyone who isn't a bad guy has of living.

I hope the French officer who made entry and got left with his ass in the wind is handing out some serious lumps to the rest of his stack in the squad bay tonight.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Awesome, will steal.
My Art.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

You can find many images, including some of higher quality, if you google Year of the Sheep 2015.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I just reviewed footage of the SWAT dynamic entrance/hostage rescue at the supermarket in France. I really, really hope that was GIGN, because the initial entry was fucking embarrassing on an international scale.

Protip: If your point man makes entry you FOLLOW HIM THROUGH THE FUCKING DOOR. CQB is all about dynamic, high speed violence, the hostages do not have the time for you to peek around the door and pussy foot about, you need to be through the entry, clear of the vortex of fire and engaging targets as quickly as humanly possible, because the faster you are the better chance everyone who isn't a bad guy has of living.

I hope the French officer who made entry and got left with his ass in the wind is handing out some serious lumps to the rest of his stack in the squad bay tonight.

Seems the woman hostage that was killed - a mother of three and a barrister by profession - was hit by police bullets that ricocheted.  When I first heard this, I thought it was a shame, but in such a situation.... now, after reading the above, I wonder just how badly the police fucked up, and who's going to pay the price. 

OK, blog time.  So I got a job at Macy's for the holidays, and have been asked to stay on.  It's part time.  I've also been hired by the church as sexton (which means cleaning and maintenance), also part time. 

With the Beer Barn and teaching online, that's four part time jobs.  Ends still aren't meeting, but the gap is a little smaller, my mom's still helping.  I sleep when I can, and am only on here now because things are a bit slower after the holidays (although it's inventory time at macy's, I have an overnight shift Monday 7 PM - 4 AM). 

At Macy's I started on the dock unloading trucks, and moved on into "fulfillment", which means filling, packing and shipping online orders.  I actually enjoy it - it's a challenge, computer heavy and I don't have to deal with customers.  Hell, most days I'm all by my lonesome in the shipping room. 

The church is... a challenge.  It's huge, and I keep finding things that need serious repair, or haven't been cleaned in years.  But I love the place, the architecture, the people - it's a privilege.  It's also $12 an hour, where Macy's is $7.75, and the Beer Barn's $8.75. 

The Beer Barn, you may recall, lost its lease.  We found a place nearby, which is good because all our clientele is local.  It's actually a much better location.  And to top it off, the owner has told me that after the move, she's going to make me manager (rather than her nephew, who never filled out the state liquor control board's paperwork to be manager).  We'll see how it shakes out, but that would mean a raise (almost double the money) and a minimum of 30 hours a week (mandated by the state LCB).  If that happens, I'll be dropping Macy's like a hot potato, but keeping the sexton job and the online teaching.  I'm... hopeful, but not hanging everything on it.  The place has issues.  I can probably fix several of them, but it's a weird business that can be upended anytime by the state legislature changing the archaic liquor laws.  Or by a well-heeled competitor moving into the region, which may be happening.  We'll see.  It may be a case of being given the wheel of a sinking ship...

And my mother has been bugging me to go back to school for something useful.  I start classes at the online school where I teach in February.  Decided on accounting, just an associates, so I can take care of the beer barn's books - the old man (the owner's brother in law) who does them has been slipping a bit, he's missed a few local filings, and at one point inventory was off by over 60 cases (it was an invoice error).  February's also when the beer barn moves, if all goes according to plan and the LCB moves at a decent pace.  It is a state agency, though...   :-P :roll:

So the upshot is, you probably won't see me much around here for a while. 

Again. 

I miss you guys.  It's nice to be able to just show up once in a while and say hi! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I miss you guys.  It's nice to be able to just show up once in a while and say hi!
I miss you, I suspect we all miss you, and I'm sure we're all glad there are some positive moves in your life.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Seems the woman hostage that was killed - a mother of three and a barrister by profession - was hit by police bullets that ricocheted.  When I first heard this, I thought it was a shame, but in such a situation.... now, after reading the above, I wonder just how badly the police fucked up, and who's going to pay the price. 

Well, that's less incompetence and more physics than anything else... or, shit now that I'm thinking about it, if they hadn't been trading pot shots from the door... maybe... hmmm. I didn't hear about that, so I didn't think about that. Still no matter what, a shame.

Glad things are a bit better for you Carl.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Hi, Carl. It's nice to hear from you, especially about things improving.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Once there were shelves on the wall behind my desk; they held computers, monitors, desktop scanners and various oddments...

I was standing on the library stool just visible under the rubble in the middle of the second photo; I am miraculously unhurt.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

whew. Glad you're okay!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Two iMacs with smashed screens, though; and half a dozen smashed Canon desktop scanners as well as a fax machine.  All the Dell computers and monitors seem untouched (though I have yet to turn them on), but several HP monitors have damaged screens.

I shall be visiting the WEEE waste collection point with a load of stuff later this afternoon, I think.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Bugger.
My Art.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98   Go Up