THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543615 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I would love to get into performing music but I am the biggest wuss. I can't play any instruments at this point but I can sing.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I'd love to have the skills, either hers or those of the rest of you, to participate in that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Man I wish I could freestyle rap.

Not as much as I wish I was there to jam with you.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

So I had an interesting morning. My housemate woke me up asking why Finley (the dog) was outside and picked up down the street. I had no idea. My event timeline of last night goes like this:

Get home from practice at roughly 1030pm.
Find front door isn't fully closed, it happens sometimes because of the weatherproofing we did around the door.
Enter and close door.
Put my stuff down and go chat with housemate about practice, video games, etc. Dog is in his room.
Go back to my room and watch TV while eating chips and salsa.
Dog comes into my room around midnight. Pet dog until dog leaves.
Lock bedroom door so dog stops bursting in and letting the cat in.
140am someone knocks on door. Go see who it is, old white guy, decide not to open door since it is 140am and why is there an old guy knocking on the door this late.

As far as I can guess, I believe that my housemate (who owns the dog and is blaming his housemates for letting the dog out) let the dog out to go pee, and since it was raining didn't stay outside. I believe he went inside and checked on his computer, figuring that he'd wait a minute and let the dog back in. I further posit that because he was drunk or high or both, he got distracted and forgot that he let the dog out, and fell asleep. Then someone who lives upstairs saw that the side door into the house was opened, and closed it, probably while on the way to the basement.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

At big family gatherings, my older relatives usually insist that I sing Teresa Teng numbers. It is very embarrassing. Chinese New Year is coming up. Yes, I have been rehearsing...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Will you post it?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Welp, housemate has decided that he doesn't like living with our other housemate and has decided to move out. Looks like I'm going to look for a new place to live!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...rather than replace the one moving out? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Heh, same comment on the other forum. There are three of us living in the house, and the one leaving is not the one who is incredibly difficult to live with. It'd be mighty hard to replace the one leaving because people won't want to live with the guy who shouts at his cat at the top of his lungs and throws shit around his room. I'm happy to find a place on my own or with Jess because its long overdue that I live on my own (I have never lived on my own but I have learned that I don't particularly like having housemates sometimes). Also I'm looking for a place that is going to see me not commuting 30 minutes to school, 30 minutes to practice and 25 minutes to Jess's house. I'll probably have a bit longer commute to work, but I'll take it for living closer to school, practice and Jess.

Also it'll be nice to not deal with 3 people using one bathroom.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Haven't really drank much since I started dating current girlfriend, since she does not drink, and I don't want to get drunk around her and make an ass of myself.

It was kind of nice to go out tonight, kick a little more ass at trivia than we usually do, and have more than a few beers. Been a while. Side effect: I'm drunkenly navigating punk rock label websites, almost, but not actually buying a bunch of 7"s.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I'm drunkenly navigating punk rock label websites, almost, but not actually buying a bunch of 7"s.

Just as website registrations have a turing test to make sure you're not a robot, eCommerce checkout pages need to have a sobriety test to make sure you aren't drunk spending. "mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Three people using one bathroom? I am looking forward to living somewhere where 14 people don't use one bathroom!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

The girl I've been kinda talking to for a little bit came over tonight. She and I talked a while back about my crush on her, and she told me she isn't looking to date anyone right now. Fine by me, she's awesome as fuck, I'll hang out with awesome people! Her being unbearably fucking cute is just a bonus.

So my room was a total pig sty, you won't get any more detail than that. It was literally a health hazard though. Awful shit. She and I cleaned it and afterward hung out listening to the music that puts us right to bed. I started nodding off, and she fucking started a tickle fight with me. Coulda shaken me awake, coulda done any number of things that wouldn't fuck with my head, but a god damn tickle fight.

Cleans my room, completely fucks up the relatively orderly arrangement in my head. Ugh.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I'm drunkenly navigating punk rock label websites, almost, but not actually buying a bunch of 7"s.

Just as website registrations have a turing test to make sure you're not a robot, eCommerce checkout pages need to have a sobriety test to make sure you aren't drunk spending. "mrgreen:

I actually ran across a study somewhere in my schooling that showed a spike in online shopping in the middle of the night.  I think the spike was stronger on Fridays and Saturdays.  I remember the conclusion I drew being that people are drunk shopping.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I want to draw something but my drawing skill confidence has broken.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Fix it by drawing something! Even a bad drawing is a better drawing than no drawing.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

I concur!

I find that the best way to draw something without being disappointed by lack of quality is by starting with no goal in mind. Just doodle and let the drawing tell you what it wants to become :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Three people using one bathroom? I am looking forward to living somewhere where 14 people don't use one bathroom!
How can you live like that.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

I did that at the compound. The bathroom itself was a toilet and shower and maybe three square feet of floor space, and there was a separate room just outside of it with sinks and mirrors (the sinks were usually unreachable, filled as they were with clothes, makeup, and jewelry - we mostly just battled for mirror space. the dangers of a house full of hard femmes).

Barmymoo

• Mentat

BeoPuppy, I don't get a lot of choice! There are only 8 ensuite rooms in the whole college (400 people live here) and you have to move out during short vacations. I have nowhere to move out to, and the rooms are far less nice than mine anyway. It hasn't been too much of a problem to be honest; there's another toilet further down the hall and a bathroom (as in, with bath) in the opposite direction. It's rare that anyone has to wait to use the bathroom and the cleaner "cleans" it every day. Not to my idea of cleanliness, but at least things don't go mouldy.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

We have four toilets to share between about 100 women, in my office. The guys have two or three, I'm not sure, but there's only about 10 of them.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

So much for potty parity.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

There are only... three? maybe four men's toilets in this building, but it is a women's college.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

As I started going to theater events sometime in the 1990s, and occasionally on busy travel days at freeway service plaza, I began to notice lines at women's rest rooms. It really hit home when a major musical came to the large theater in Detroit's venerable Masonic Temple. Young women weren't waiting in line for the women's rest room, they were using the men's.
I imagine that's commonplace at older entertainment venues nowadays, and I gather other cultures are much more accustomed to it.

valley_parade

• coprophage

I quickly realized that I had money to spend, but it was better spent today on concert tickets.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

And the cleaning crew does a shitty job of cleaning the bathrooms.

Speaking of bathrooms, I keep seeing a lady (well, seeing her shoes) in the bathroom and she never washes her hands. Not even a rinse-off, as useless as that is. This would bother me less if she didn't smell fishy. Literally, like she has a bunch of mackerels in her pants. It makes me even more obsessive about washing my hands at work.

Carl-E

• Awakened

As I started going to theater events sometime in the 1990s, and occasionally on busy travel days at freeway service plaza, I began to notice lines at women's rest rooms. It really hit home when a major musical came to the large theater in Detroit's venerable Masonic Temple. Young women weren't waiting in line for the women's rest room, they were using the men's.
I imagine that's commonplace at older entertainment venues nowadays, and I gather other cultures are much more accustomed to it.

The theatre our local community theatre group usus is an old vaudeville house built in 1906.  The original restrooms were down a narrow stair below the main floor's seating and were quite spacious, but below the water table... the place stood empty for years, and they were pretty much destroyed.  They added restrooms on the main floor, and despite the ladies' being more that twice the utility of the men's (twice as many stalls in the ladies' than the men's has stalls and urinals combined), there's still always a long line at the ladies' room during intermission.  There is only occasionally a short line at the men's restroom. 

What the hell are y'all doing in there? 

Never mind.  I have daughters, I really don't need to know. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I noticed this when I was queueing for the Christmas Eve service. There was literally no queue at all in the men's (Jens and Charles confirmed this for me) and it took me fifteen minutes to reach the front of the queue for the women's. A few women did go into the men's but since it was in fairly constant use only the brave ones did.

And I can't speak for all other women, but I wear pants (the underwear kind), tights and two skirts. It takes time to rearrange everything before I'm suitable to leave the cubicle.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Got a sick prank call telling me family were in an accident. Couldn't hear it very well and hung up pretty quickly figuring it was just sick bastards but rang everyone in the Welu clan to be sure. We're all okay but gonna be on edge all night. Double checked my Facebook and my number's only visible to me so fuck knows who rang me but gonna try to not worry and get any more paranoid about it.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Most likely they dialed a random number, and that number turned out to be yours. They've probably been dialing them all day.

I pranked called a guy in Italy from my high school, and when he picked up, I blurted out the only coherent Italian phrase I could think of: "Voglio tua anima!" I have no idea where I though it up.

Then again, whoever makes actual calls telling people their family's been hurt is sick indeed.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

My memory is that it's a scam rather than a prank. If you bite, you learn that money is needed.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Given your location, Welu, I'd be surprised if that didn't happen a bit more often.

<-- Is, unfortunately, old enough to remember what U2's "New Year's Day" really meant.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ackblom12

Finally broke down and decided to invest in a safety razor now that I'm about out of stupidly expensive razor heads. I'm even going to try and be cheaply fancy and use a cheap ass starter set for soap lather!

In the long run this should save me a shit load of money what with the blades I decided on being about $.35 apiece, but it's a bit of a painful starting investment.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2013, 01:40 by ackblom12 »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Troubador played a show out of town tonight, our first all-ages gig in a long time. It was so much fun, oh my jesus! This one band Piranha Party (please check em out, amazing shit!) played after us to close the night, and they fucking DESTROYED. It was so good! And we played an especially clean set tonight our own selves. I haven't had that much fun at a show in ages. Life rocks when you've got music. <3
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

My memory is that it's a scam rather than a prank. If you bite, you learn that money is needed.

You're probably right. When I thought about it after there did seem to be call centre type background noise.

In other news I might be moving back near home. My parents are up for lending me money to buy a house that's on sale and can literally be seen from their living room window. Problem is that it's just a shell and needs a lot of work but could be very worth it.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

There's been a scam going on here where the caller somehow has some background information on the person they're calling. My husband's grandparents got a call from someone claiming to be my husband, saying he was in jail or suck in Mexico or something and could they send money. The scammer knew my husband's name and his father's name, but couldn't answer where his father was born. I've also seen it as an email scam but that's obviously easier to make up since they don't have to have a phone conversation, and easier to check since if you get a suspicious email you just call the person.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

That's scary. I hung up figuring it'd give me a chance to ring people and if it was serious I would get a call back.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Problem is that it's just a shell and needs a lot of work but could be very worth it.
You'll learn a lot!

Papersatan

There's been a scam going on here where the caller somehow has some background information on the person they're calling. My husband's grandparents got a call from someone claiming to be my husband, saying he was in jail or suck in Mexico or something and could they send money. The scammer knew my husband's name and his father's name, but couldn't answer where his father was born. I've also seen it as an email scam but that's obviously easier to make up since they don't have to have a phone conversation, and easier to check since if you get a suspicious email you just call the person.

That is actually called the "grandparent scam".  I used to work in a call center which was funded by a class action law suit against Western Union and we called to educated seniors about telephone fraud.  Frequently they get the information by calling the person weeks earlier with a survey or some such and they get friendly and chatty enough to get a few details. They frequently claim a grandchild is on a field trip in Canada and has been in an accident and they can't get the surgery they need until someone wires money. 

When I was in high school, and in the period of adolescence where I pulled away from my parents and tried to find out who I was, much to their exasperation as I sighed and scoffed at all the things little kid me used to like, someone stole files from the school office which contained phone numbers.  They called my house and asked me, (to try and prank me) but I was not home.  When my mother asked if there was something they could help them with they told her it was unlikely since she had never been there for me.  I came home to a heart-broken mother concerned I did not love her. 

I have never been in a fight in my life.  If I had been able to find out who did it I would have jumped them in a parking lot without regret.  Fuck with me all you want, but do NOT fuck with my mother.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

RT

Except for me it's 46 sharing two toilets and one shower.
And this is student housing ... not trench warfare or a similar uncomfortable place?
My Art.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Will you post it?
And embarrass myself in front of the internet as well as the family?  :lol:
Rehearsal is just an attempt to reduce the embarrassment.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Naw, just your friends. It could be a challenge. We all perform.

Oh god, what have I said?

Carl-E

• Awakened

Just enough to induce performance anxiety...   :angel:

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

If the challenge is taken up, Akima included, I will sing the Fireman Song. It's very short, but not normally to be sung in the presence of firemen or their families.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Is it like the Hedgehog Song?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

That's certainly an animal with which it is tough to interfere.
My Art.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Just outlined a dialogue-less film with my partner. Excited.

Papersatan

One of the classes I am taking this semester is going to be a ton of work, and a lot of stress, but also really, really good for me.  The entire semester is a group project in which we get a real client and conduct a needs assessment and a usability test on their website.  I think more important than actually learning about Neilson's Heuristics, or methods for conducting user interviews, is the practice I am getting doing "professional things".  Last week I conducted a conference call with our client in which I learned the companies goals and needs, and managed her expectations so that our project runs smoothly.  This weekend I wrote an email to an old professor asking him for contacts, and now I am going to have to contacts the people he suggested offering his name as my credentials.  I am terrified of this, but this sort of networking is a skill I need to learn.  I also sent a long professional email to our client today.

If 2 years ago I had showed up to a meeting with a contact I had a class with and he dropped "my boss is going to call into this meeting because she is who you need to speak with, and I had to unexpectedly interview someone I had never met with other people listening, I would probably have bee shaking and nauseous.  I took it completely in stride and confidently did what I needed to.  Grad school may only be 2 years, but man have I grown.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

Finished a music video shoot today. Now all I have to do is shoehorn 2 1/2 hours of footage into a 3:30 song!  :psyduck:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Kat, good job :) I'm still anxious about making phone calls - I'm better at calling people like the GP and the bank, but if I have to ask someone for a favour or in any way inconvenience them it feels terrifying. But I did send an email to someone to ask a favour and actually have had a reply saying "yes I'll chat to you about my project, how about X day?". Degrees are indeed mind-expanding.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 98   Go Up