THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543611 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Woo Jimmy that's awesome! OK, the middle of nowhere bit maybe isn't quite so awesome but the doing what you want to do is really awesome. And that's how I got into university too - I was on a waiting list, someone dropped out, and I was at the head of the list. Waiting list vocations high five! o/
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

\o
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Ok so remember when I said this?

Didn't get in to university.

Well what I didn't mention was that I was put on a waiting list, meaning if someone was offered a place and rejected it then I might be offered their place instead, depending on where I was on the waitlist.

I got an email today saying that I've been accepted into the Master of Clinical Psychology at CQ University. I'm moving to the middle of nowhere. I'm going to get to do with my life what I want to do.

Also today I presented the data of the program I've been running this year to the head Social Worker at the NSW Department of Health. He asked me to write, publish and present a paper on it.

That's awesome Jimmy! All my love goes out to you.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Congrats!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Jimmy, that's great news! I'm stoked things are working out for you man.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

\o/

Congrats Jimmy!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

My work just sent me an email saying that I don't have to work tomorrow. This entire week went by without working and I'll get paid for it still. And I'm getting two weeks of paid vacation.
I love my job.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I got an email today saying that I've been accepted into the Master of Clinical Psychology at CQ University.

Hooray!

I'm moving to the middle of nowhere.

Well, maybe your presence will make it that little bit more of a somewhere. :-D
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

My work just sent me an email saying that I don't have to work tomorrow. This entire week went by without working and I'll get paid for it still. And I'm getting two weeks of paid vacation.
I love my job.

I get the Christmas fortnight off with pay. Finish on Friday, back on the 6th. Being a civil servant often rocks.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

I get the Christmas fortnight off with no pay and no prospects. Being a temp bites. Genuinely wish I was back in the civil service.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

I'm working on Christmas Day this year. It's gonna be cool. I'm going to go have a cheeseburger with one lady for Christmas Lunch and then I'm going to give one of my clients his christmas present (Arkham Asylum!) and watch a few episodes of the original Transformers cartoon. Probably some other stuff too.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I got an email today saying that I've been accepted into the Master of Clinical Psychology at CQ University. I'm moving to the middle of nowhere. I'm going to get to do with my life what I want to do.
Yay! Congratulations! I'm happy for you; Queensland won't know what hit it!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

This is apparently the only Christmas I'm likely to have off for the next five years or so - second and third year student midwives have placement over Christmas, and newly-qualified midwives always get the worst shifts. To be honest I think it might be quite fun to spend Christmas catching babies! Since I always have several Christmases with my family at random times in December and January, it won't matter so much - the only thing I'd miss out on is church services, but I'm missing those this year anyway (except presumably the service on Christmas Eve but that'll be in Norwegian and I speak only two words of Norwegian, neither of which commonly appear in the liturgy).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I'll go home (as in where I grew up) on Monday. I just don't know, whether we'll have another linear algebra sheet due until Monday. I hope not.

*sigh*

We have a linear algebra sheet due Monday. FFFUUUU!

I already have the programming exercise sheet due on Monday, and I need to get ready to travel home. It's a 7 hour journey after all. So I basically need to be finished with the exercise sheet on Friday. So I'll need to do it on Thursday evening. Damn.

I mean, it's a shortened exercise sheet and stuff, but still. Why? We'll get exercise sheets to do over the holidays, and normally the exercise sheet would be due the first day of the holidays. So why do they give us less time than normal for this sheet…

I'm annoyed.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!

You get worksheets over holidays? This sucks :/

Here the two weeks are basically exempt from the normal timeflow.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->

Job got cancelled yesterday so unemployed for Christmas which is nice and cheery.

Still in a small bit of good news, it meant that I was home to receive the delivery of a book that I ordered for my wife's birthday, which is today.

Never Wipe Your Ass With a Squirrel, she's going to love it.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Seems good advice, in general.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I can't say I agree with it myself. Squirrels are nature's 2ply
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

If 2ply had teeth.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

We get exercise sheets over the holidays. And we get an additional exercise sheet before the holidays.

Lines

• Awakened

Ok so remember when I said this?

Didn't get in to university.

Well what I didn't mention was that I was put on a waiting list, meaning if someone was offered a place and rejected it then I might be offered their place instead, depending on where I was on the waitlist.

Also today I presented the data of the program I've been running this year to the head Social Worker at the NSW Department of Health. He asked me to write, publish and present a paper on it.

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Good for you Jimmy!

Today was a bit of a roller coaster ride.

Shit work was shit. Mailed my last Christmas present off. Got the long over due check for moving from my work... but I can't cash it till Thursday, got out of work 30 minutes late, then was even later getting home because I saved a stranded motorist by changing her tire for her and finally I had a traffic ticket waiting for me in my mail box when I got home.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hmm, realised as I travelled home today from visiting my mum and stepdad (ugh the train from the city to my village was so delayed, it was an hour and twenty minutes late leaving although thankfully I arrived 45 minutes into that wait, and it changed platform three times) that I have no Norwegian money so I'll have to go and get some tomorrow. Norwegian types, will 500 krone be sufficient for two weeks, bearing in mind that I am staying with Jens and Kris's family (so not paying for hotels or restaurant food, but making a contribution towards regular food costs - including presumably more expensive vegan versions of basics like milk and butter) and don't intend to go clubbing, shopping or travelling? I have no idea how much a kron...e(?) is worth in real terms, but in British pounds that's really as much as I can afford comfortably.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's 10 krone (NOK) to the pound (GBP), give or take; don't forget to allow for fees, so 500 NOK will cost you a bit over 50 GBP.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Jeez, you pay up to 50 POUNDS just to change your currency?

Bloody Freyja's spear point I thought our banks were a bunch of heartless pirates. I exchanged out yen for free in most cases. (Albeit I had connections) or for no more then $5-10 USD

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Paul is saying that the total amount you'd be out of pocket when getting 500 NOK is a bit more than 50 GBP, rather than exchanging it 1:10.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Oh. Whew. Much more reasonable.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I don't know why I thought it'd be a good idea to go drinking the night before your flight home.

Being hung over on an airport is no fun.

(click to show/hide)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Dude, you look pretty good for being hungover.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

May, I think 500 will be just fine, unless you plan on going shopping, which I doubt you will. You can also pay with Visa and Mastercard everywhere, I don't think they charge you for transactions in stores, at least they never do with me when I'm abroad.

Safe travels! I only arrived yesterday and I'm pretty jet lagged still (I came from Washington again, I don't really get jet lagged from traveling from Scotland). See you tomorrow!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Excellent, thanks Kris! I shall check whether I'll be charged if I use my card but I think the answer is yes, my bank recently changed its rules and charge for a lot of things. See you tomorrow, yay!

Added: I wrote a list of things I had to do today last night, carefully ordered for maximum efficiency. The first one was "laundry". Woke up this morning and discovered I'm out of laundry detergent. Great... THE LIST IS RUINED.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013, 04:25 by Barmymoo »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Off to see the wizard some Norway, back next year! Have a great Christmas everyone.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

You too, May! Safe travels and Merry Christmas!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Yay, Norway! Good yule!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think it's actually "God Jul!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Not in English it ain't!

ᚴᚢᛏ ᛅᚢᛚ!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Trying to type while your cat is on the desk in front of you is very, very tricky...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Loki

• comeback tour!

Moderator Comment The discussion of coffee has been merged into the coffee thread. Cheers :wink:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So my sleep schedule is all kinds of fucked up by university right now. I stayed up untill 07:00 from friday, went to bed, and now woke up at 01:00 on Sunday. I slept for 18 hours. And now I have only 22 hours left for a Programming exercise sheet, tidying up my room and packing, before I have to go to sleep again, so I get up early enough to catch my train back home.

Damn.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't buy any food for today, and as it's Sunday now all stores are closed.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Right. Uh, been a few minutes, let me think.

So I guess the biggest thing is that I started a new job end of November. Fell kind of ass-backwards into it too. Went back to an old employment agency and their local client company that I used to work for. Decent place, regular full-time first shift hours, etc. Lotta problems, mind, but different problems than the restaurant, mostly.

Oh but yeah, I'd put in notice at the restaurant, went in for orientation at the warehouse thinking I'd get a decent little 9/hour placement working on/with cell phones, and instead I get a "hey we've got a job pays 12/hr but you've gotta start tomorrow". Worked out a quick phone call with my McBoss and here we are. (incidentally I still work at the restaurant every little bit, few times a month).

So I and a handful of other people are the main monkeys in an eBay consignment shop. Spent the last month learning the process, training, and helping troubleshoot and work out the various bugs and procedural flaws and the like with the workline, the shipping, the inventory management and tracking program, etc. It's kind of fun sometimes, and it's the best money I've ever made.

Also we're totally fucked eight ways from Sunday and it's pretty funny. Management software (the part that actually directly interacts with eBay's stuff) went haywire Wednesday and stopped pushing any of our completed merchandise to the site, among various other problems we've discovered the more we dig through the mess.

On Tuesday we and eBay started sending out large amounts of information across the nation for people to use our service. As of Friday we'd sent out about...I think 600 or so boxes to be delivered to people and businesses that had responded and wanted to hire us.

As of Friday we also have no way of putting most of whatever they send us this upcoming weeks.

So yeah, fucked! :D

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Sounds like things are going well for you though Nae! I'm glad to hear it!

I love All these high quality Sci-Fi shorts you can dig up out there. Stumbling on them is like finding treasure.

This is truly the wealth that technology, particularly cheap and wasy CGI. The ability for the dedicated and passionate to tell their stories without interferance from Hollywood, without a multimillion dollar contract, and without approval of the same.

Much like the explosion of all forms of writing and authorship after the Industrial Revolution and in the late 18th Century as the ability to write became a common standard in much of the Western World, so too exploded with it every form of books, including the nascent Science Fiction genre.

We are at our heart, a species of storytellers. It is how transmit information, communicate culture and entertain each other. Storytelling as a concept's evolution is film making, is video games, is every possible medium we have yet to discover by which we can communicate to each other.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Yay, Nae! New/better paying job is awesome! As is being able to keep old job for secondary income. :-) I'm glad that good things are happening for you :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Thanks. Needed some good news after the beating the last half-year has mostly felt like.

We'll work through the problems, it's just...funny. Poor bastards maybe should have just cribbed off our 'older sister' consignment store's inventory program instead of hiring these other guys to adapt their small-time 'power seller' level program to our magnitude and needs. Oh well, with a little work and luck it'll be smooth sailing in a month or three.  :psyduck:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So I'm sitting in the train back home now. I'll be there in four and a half hours.

It's going to be interesting seeing friends and family again.

And after that: Congress! Excited!

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss

Sucky: I skipped to work this morning, overjoyed by the return of snow to this meteorologically fickle town. But it turned out to be the work of Shai'tan: loose, thin layer of snow covering vast, smooth, black, rock-hard, unsanded expanses of ice. Slipped and fell twice, very hard, and hit my head both times. Light concussion and just a little too much skeletal pain for my own comfort. I have never ever been much of a hypochondriac, but, having seen some really creepy examples of insidious post-concussion syndromes arising from even light skull trauma, I'm actually kinda nervous :/ most of the fog has cleared however and it's already given me some ideas for good future studies.

Please be okay brain :(

Sweet: I'm on call 8-6 tomorrow but then I get to go have delicious Christmas dinner, and then I work night on Christmas Day, and then I have a couple of shifts AND THEN I AM FREE!! For a week at least :o I haven't booked the trip down to sthlm yet but it's gonna be awesome. Also sweet: I got a rose and a little piece of paper saying nice things from the class that's been doing their neurology rotations with us this semester. It's something every class gives to one person each semester, and I'm kinda chuffed because it's a very good class and I've put a lot of time and energy into the teaching and also because I got a flower :o

ALSO: I've been ninjagobbling freshly made almond tuiles. I think she knows, but I think I might be able to get away with it
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

So I like to think I don't get up here too often on my awkward soap box and do this sort of thing too much, but I'm gonna talk a moment about a subject I talk a lot about (my religion) but in a way I don't very much.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with this; that's your business. In a lot of ways I don't know what's best for you and your existence here in this madhouse. Your soul, spirit, essence, or lack thereof is your thing.

But...I want you to never EVER let a Christian (or anyone really) tell you that you're worthless, that you're lesser, that you are nothing. You are a fellow sacred soul, a creature with a spark of the divine, a beloved child of the all-being, a Creator who loves you so much it remade itself as one of us so that we and it could know, love, and understand one another better.

That love and the promise of love, friendship and brotherhood and compassion and rumors and emulations thereof....that's the core of the ideal of what we Christians call Christmas.

We're...we're not always good at living up to that, to put it mildly. But in this small little way, I want you to know: I love you. I love you. I love you. Stay warm, and enjoy the rest of the season. :)

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male

^^ YAY!  Well Spoken!!  ^^

as an old professor of mine once remarked:
You are not your body.  You are your soul, which happens to inhabit this body.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

This Yule is a very important one for me. The culmination of three years of introspection, self discovery and survival. It was three years ago at my darkest hour, when I had lain down with death and merely had to kiss eternity good night, embracing the dark abyss. At that hour She first came to me and called me away from that final bride death. She gave no name, no mark to know her by, simply a graceful touch and an unspoken challenge to rise and live on, that I might know more. I rose. A self evident fact as I survive to write this... but notable if only to me for the force of will required to reach this point. In that span of time in the depths of my ordeal I came to know Freyja, and my matron's plan for this warrior who was not granted the embrace of death in battle. So I came to the old faith, the gods of my ancestors, and the path Freyja has challenged me to walk. I am honored to stand amongst you all this yuletide, and wish you glory and blessings in the new year.

Honored Freyja, Lady of the hall of many seats, ruler of the Folkvangr, goddess of war and love, keep our hearts pure and burning with passion that we might charge forward against any foe or challenge with courage in our chests and a battle cry on our lips. Ti Sesruminir!

Post I made for the Yule season on a Heathen forum, figured you guys might find it interesting at least.

On another heathen note Valdis and I were having a fairly involved theological discussion today (about whether or not Ragnarok has happened already) and as it drew to a close I kinda blew off my own participation with a line along the lines of "Eh I think I'll just leave such details to the Gothi (god speakers, a priest) and remain a simple soldier". Which reminded Valdis of a similar line spoken by Julius Caesar in response to someone's complex theology. So I suppose what I'm saying here is if I turn up stabbed to death in March, one of you point Interpol towards Sweden :P

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss

Don't worry, all messages out of Sweden are already being monitored
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

snalin

• You may Baste me

Don't worry, all messages out of Sweden everywhere are already being monitored

FYP
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive