THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

End of the week: How will he get to the wedding?

Planes.
- 1 (2.7%)
So who's taking him down to the airport, just to fly back up to Burlington? #FAIL
- 2 (5.4%)
Trains.
- 1 (2.7%)
The station is a bit out of the way (Amtrak line is up in Amherst).
- 1 (2.7%)
Automobiles.
- 4 (10.8%)
But *whose* automobile? Marigold? Steve? EMILY? CLAIRE??????
- 14 (37.8%)
Hitchiking? Walking?
- 0 (0%)
Uhm, no. Skinny indie boy legs won't get him out of NoHam.
- 0 (0%)
Spaceship? Stealth blimp?
- 1 (2.7%)
Hannelore's sick, remember?
- 0 (0%)
Bus?
- 1 (2.7%)
Like he would last on a Greyhound.
- 3 (8.1%)
Bike?
- 2 (5.4%)
Harley's aren't his style.
- 1 (2.7%)
AnthroPC?
- 0 (0%)
Okay, now you're just getting silly.
- 6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2372-2376 (28 January - 1 February 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 125800 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

* Is it cold in here? waves hand

This is not the thread you are looking for.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

There are not the Posts you want to read.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Must read ALL the posts...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

(I know this is going back a ways, but I've been playing catch-up after a PC fatality.)

Jesus Jeph, we know you're Childfree and snipped and proud of it, stop grinding it into the ground. Yes, isn't it horrible that another person can make unreasonable demands and force you to shell out money because you still want them around, so let's make this into another comment on how horrible kids are and how much almost none of your characters want any! That's not children, that's family and friendship.

I couldn't read that strip without cringing, but for different reasons.  When Henry asked Maurice if he wanted kids and Maurice said he just wanted 20 puggles, the question of whether Jeph knows British nomenclature was answered once and for all.  Over here, "puggle" is a rural word for a miscarriage.  :-(
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, on this side of the pond it's a half-pug/half-beagle that is just ridiculously adorable.  I wonder how "puggle" came to mean miscarriage, though.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I've never come across puggle=miscarriage.  The Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang has puggle=poggle=crazy, mad, drunk (mostly in military usage).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I hope someone around knows that a puggle is also a baby platypus/echidna/hedgehog (I dunno which sorry, it'll take a less sleep deprived man than I this night. . . )
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: Wikipedia
For the baby echidna or platypus, see Monotreme.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Um, that refers to an article about the order.  More relevant is what that article tells: "The proper name for an infant echidna is also echidna and not a Puggle as is widely believed."

(ETA: ... and by denying confirms, if you ask me ...)

(Echidna is also know as "spiny ant eaters", and like the platypus, they're monotremes.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm just quoting the line on the top of the Puggle page. When you go to Monotreme and click both links next to  that, one says a baby echidna or platypus is called a puggle, the other says experts think it's wrong to use that for platypi, but not necessarily for echidna. Either way...weird sources to use to say it's not the proper name, unless that was just trying to show that it was widely believed?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Um, that refers to an article about the order.  More relevant is what that article tells: "The proper name for an infant echidna is also echidna and not a Puggle as is widely believed."

As much as I'm loath to weaken my argument for the correct use of apostrophes, surely if the commonly-used name for a baby echidna a 'puggle', then that is what it is called.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm curious, what is said argument? In what way do people use apostrophes wrong?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

As much as I'm loath to weaken my argument for the correct use of apostrophes, surely if the commonly-used name for a baby echidna a 'puggle', then that is what it is called.
Hence the "(ETA: ... and by denying confirms, if you ask me ...)".  You may have missed that ETA, of course ...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

ETA means estimated time of arrival...what were you referring to? I mean, I'm guessing the E is edit but other than that I have no idea. Wait...edited to add? Why not just say "edit"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

I tend to use 'edit' if I'm correcting something in the middle of a post, and 'eta' if I'm expanding on something I said but don't want to make a new post (usually because no one else has posted yet and I don't want to seem spammy).  Though I guess there isn't really much reason to make a distinction, as the reason should be fairly obvious in most cases.  For me, it's habit and convention I've carried over from other forums.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I'm curious, what is said argument?

That apostrophes should be used correctly even though it seems like nobody bothers any more. As an example, Waterstones, a bookshop - which you'd think could get it right - founded by and named after Mr. Tim Waterstone, recently removed the apostrophe from its name.

In what way do people use apostrophes wrong?

Can you think of a way? It's been done. Yes, even that one.

It's just one of those things that really annoys me. It isn't hard to get it right, but I've seen signs around that use apostrophes incorrectly AND inconsistently. The best (worst?) one I've seen was "Come inside and see our magnificent range of bed's, sofas' and tables".

Hence the "(ETA: ... and by denying confirms, if you ask me ...)".  You may have missed that ETA, of course ...

I did miss it, but since there's no edit time on your post it seems I was just too lazy to read your post properly. Sorry.  :oops:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Wait...edited to add? Why not just say "edit"?
Exactly.  Why?  I don't really know; I'm just following the lead.  Ten years ago I might have written "Edit:", but I've seen so many others use "ETA:", I've picked up the habit myself.

HTH, HAND, &c

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I have never seen it before but whatever works, I guess. What's that stuff at the end of your post?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

More abbreviations, intended as a joke, but apparently falling flat ...

("HTH, HAND, &c" = "Hope that helps, have a nice day, etcetera")

Bedtime, methinks.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

As an example, Waterstones, a bookshop - which you'd think could get it right - founded by and named after Mr. Tim Waterstone, recently removed the apostrophe from its name.

One of the reasons for this, according to at least one local company that did something similar, is that apostrophes can't be used in a web address.  So you can type in Waterstones.com and probably get to their website, but Waterstone's.com won't cut it. 

However, most browsers have gotten smarter than that lately. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Domain names haven't though.

(My browser drops me in a web search when I type Waterstone's.com into the address field; if I type http://Waterstone's.com, it complains that the server is not found.  And what significantly different could it do?)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

In what way do people use apostrophes wrong?

Can you think of a way? It's been done. Yes, even that one.

Quote from: Marigold
Griz'nakh
Gr'iznakh
Grizna'hk
Gri'z'n'akh
Grizna'hth
G'rizanakh

:-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Quote from: Marigold
Griz'nakh
Gr'iznakh
Grizna'hk
Gri'z'n'akh
Grizna'hth
G'rizanakh

She can only misspell it four times before the Death Note invalidates it.
Worry Hat, Engage!

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

... When Henry asked Maurice if he wanted kids and Maurice said he just wanted 20 puggles, the question of whether Jeph knows British nomenclature was answered once and for all.  Over here, "puggle" is a rural word for a miscarriage.  :-(

I've never heard puggle used in that context (or for that matter relating to dogs either), and it seems unlikely that what sounds like a cute term would be used for what most people consider a somewhat sensitive subject.  Possibly it's different in Scotland, but I can't say that I've ever heard the term used in the south of England (having lived in Exeter, Cheltenham, Brighton and London).
Actually, it is rocket science.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up