THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make-Up Thread: Because we all like to feel pretty sometimes  (Read 48865 times)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So we have a hair thread and a few clothing threads floating around here, so I decided it's time that we have a make up thread. Feel free to post stuff you've done yourself and tutorials of things you want to do or you think are just really cool. Everyone of all genders should feel free to post here. I'm a dude and I'll probably be posting a few things about drag. And nails.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I make my nails purddy!
Razzle-dazzle!:

Ombre:

Cute:

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

Is it ok to ask for advice?

I've recently discovered that base and top coat aren't foul lies concocted in order to just make me spend more money, but it still all takes so long to dry!  I'll do my nails and find that two hours later they still aren't really dry, no matter how careful I am with them.  So I end up with a manicure that lasts a week without chipping, but is still wrinkly.  Any tips or recommendations for good, affordable polishes or quick-drying top coats?  I always love how glossy my nails look when I finish, but it never lasts.

I also need a new mascara.  The one I've got is so old I'm afraid using it will give me the plague.  I've heard Diorshow is good, but I'd rather not spend that much.

Papersatan

I usually do my nails in stages because they usually have a lot of layers (the ones on the top have 4 coats of polish).  I find thin coats are better than thick ones.  I don't use a base coat, as a result some of my cheaper polishes stain my nails, but I just buff that off after I remove it.  I use Ulta's "high shine" top coat.

Mascara is the one thing that I am a sucker for.  Like any ad campaign for a new mascara and I am like "oooo what! I need it." Usually when a product makes claims like "twice the volume for twice the impact" or whatever shit I roll my eyes, but mascara? I am sold.  My favorite everyday one is Maybelline "lash stiletto".  I also just bought a L'orel "false Fiber" one that I like.

One thing to think about is if you want length or volume.  Mine tend to lengthen more than 'plump'. 

Zingoleb

OoooOooOoh, mascara, I love mascara. I have like, five different tubes of mascara in black, brown, blue, green, and teal.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Is it ok to ask for advice?

Advice is on a need to know basis only. :mrgreen:

The best thing I've found useful so far is liquid foundation...Avon sells some, but there's a salon in Woodbridge, CT (I can't remember the name for the life of me) who will actually custom-mix a batch for you to match your exact skin tone. They keep a precise recipe filed under your name so they can recreate it when you need more. They really are wonderful.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

My girlfriend's nail art blog: http://honmednaglarna.blogg.se

It's in Swedish.  :-\ But I guess you could just look at the pictures. She's really talented and/or skilled.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I really love your nails, Papersatan! Especially the lady bug ones (At least I assume that's what you were going for)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I just got some Lush makeup on sale and still haven't even worn it. I need to pretty myself up more often!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Oh god I've been so lazy about my nails. I used to be obsessive about the things, but then when I started working in kitchens again that all sort of went to hell.

Speaking of nail polish, anyone else try one of those top-layer polishes that bunches up and makes cracks and the like? Seemed a neat little fad for a few minutes at least. I like the effect sometimes, though of course you've got to have some color contrast.

henri bemis

Speaking of nail polish, anyone else try one of those top-layer polishes that bunches up and makes cracks and the like? Seemed a neat little fad for a few minutes at least. I like the effect sometimes, though of course you've got to have some color contrast.

I really like crackle polish when it works, but, in my experience, it can be difficult to get the desired effect.  If the coat is too thin, it's just blech.  Too thick, and it doesn't crack enough.  And a consistent effect could require a bit of trial and error.  You can't really do more that one coat, and it's also not very touch-up-able.  You really only get one shot per nail to make it work.  But if you've got time and patience, I think it's worth picking a shade that contrasts well with your favorite colors to play around with.

Papersatan

I got the silver crackle and I don't love it.  The few times I used it I had the above mentioned problems with getting a consistant coat, and I also never found a base coat I thought it looked great with.  My boyfriend has the black one though and he likes it a lot.

Has anyone tried the magnetic ones?  They look neat, but I never want to spend the money on them.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

PaperSatan, I love your nails. The snowman and clouds are lovely.

I go through spurts of painting my nails, I might dig out some photos. I mainly do it to strengthen them and the designs never last long because of work. My Mammy got me into it when I was about twelve by using me as her guinea pig for designs. Partially to teach herself and save money and also to get me into something considered girly. She won this round.

Edit: Could only find one picture.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Where do y'all find the time and/or energy to do this stuff? I have lots of eyeshadow and nail polishes, but I can't ever work up the energy to care. I like make-up and stuff but not so much that I'm willing to sacrifice sleep to make sure I have it on for the day. It tends to be for special occasions, but I'd really like to do it more often. Any suggestions on helping me want to do it?
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Papersatan

I'm not sure it is a thing worth much effort making yourself want.  I don't wear makeup most days.  If put it on when I am going out, or I am bored.  I do my nails about once a week while I am watching tv, but sometimes they don't get changed for weeks.  My nails are blue right now, but before this I had just my thumb painted for two weeks.  I was testing a design, to see if I liked the way the colors looked together, and I never got around to finishing them.  By the time I sat down to paint the rest the first nail was all chipped. 

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker

Yeah, I have some weird aversion to consumables as a whole. Why spend the time putting on nail polish when it's going to chip and my nails are going to grow? But I keep getting given all this girly stuff, and I love it, but I can't seem to make myself actually use it. But I'm that way about food and money, too.... I don't like using things that don't stick around afterward. >_> But I want to have fun with all the girly things. I've only actually put on eyeshadow maybe five times? And I've only painted my nails once since getting to college. Before that, I think the last time was in middle school. >_<

Formerly LoliButt.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Then have it as an occasional treat/hobby. If you have had a bad week, think "right, on Sunday night I'm going to give myself two hours to try out some new makeup styles" or whatever.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I might need to try that. :)

Formerly LoliButt.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That's how I use all my fancy bath stuff. Some of it is for daily use, but bath bombs and special lotions and the like are for Friday nights, when I take a nice long bath.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

henri bemis

That's how I use most of my stuff, too.  I almost never wear makeup on a day-to-day basis.  Doing my nails is kind of an excuse to give myself time to breathe and slow down a bit.  I need to concentrate on painting them, allow time for them to dry. As long as it's something I like to do, rather than feel I should do, it can be very calming.  I've got a pretty decent collection of fancy makeup that no one ever sees, and I'm ok with that.  Sometimes it's nice to just play with glittery powders and dark eye shadows for my own amusement.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2013, 15:07 by henri bemis »

Zingoleb

The only times I ever wear makeup on a day-to-day basis is if I'm leaving the house on a day-to-day basis. Which, being an antisocial hermit, doesn't happen often.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I don't know that I have the discipline to wear it every day, even if I wanted to and/or was good at doing it. I touch my face too much. But I love how eye makeup looks on me.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor

Does my half-assed Corpse Paint count here?

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

Sure why not!

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

I don't wear makeup on a daily basis either, but it can definitely be fun to play with. I haven't painted my nails in ages, but I've been wanting to- might force me to have some down time. I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do for my wedding makeup....I want a sexy vintagey feel and was considering a red lip (I LOVE a nice red lipstick) but I'm probably going to dye my hair red and I don't want to overdo it. Any advice?

I used to play with makeup all the time, I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find some old photos :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

This thread makes me want to slap on some paint and take pseudo-artsy photos.

Papersatan

I wore makeup today. It made me late for class. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You need makeup with less of a drag coefficient, if it slows you down that much...

Wait, drag coefficient of makeup?  Totally unintentional pun. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened

I almost never wear makeup. I wore nail polish recently, but once I took it off, half of my nails broke. (The remover makes my nails brittle.) I want to wear makeup...I just don't.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

I wore makeup today. It made me late for class.

Also this is something I have to keep a careful eye on. It's so...so much easier than I would have thought to do, growing up.

Then again my family were not good at many things, and one of those many things was femininity. Point being, I don't have a background in all this.

Lines

• Awakened

I don't either. I can do theater makeup really well, on myself and others, but normal makeup baffles me.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Makeup fun! They start from normal makeup and get more intense as they go on lol. I friggin' love makeup but I'm just too damn lazy to wear it every day.

(click to show/hide)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Great job lepetit   :-)

Btw,

(click to show/hide)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

You look damn sexy in the last one
And this is coming from someone who likes dudes

Zingoleb

yeah, I'm carefully not commenting so as not to show off my inner creepshow over here

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Lately I've been really into the Urban Decay stuff. I really like their eye pencil/eyeshadow pencil thing. and their lip crayon things.

bare minerals all the way for foundation though. that stuff works.

Does anyone have a good mascara for day-to-day use? The one I'm using is too... vamp, and I can't wash it off easily. I end up with raccoon eyes for days.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Papersatan

I repeat my Maybelline "lash stiletto" recommendation.  I remove it with jojoba oil.

Zingoleb

i never actually remove my makeup, i just leave it on as a base to work from for the next day

i am actually the worst person to take makeup advice from

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

i never actually remove my makeup, i just leave it on as a base to work from for the next day
And about once every other month, all that built-up makeup is chiseled away with a paint scraper, beginning the process once again. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

Yeah, I frequently leave mine on when I go to bed and just clean up the raccoonyness with a q-tip the next day.

A subtle eyeliner and leftover mascara look for day two.  :)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

And about once every other month, all that built-up makeup is chiseled away with a paint scraper, beginning the process once again. :mrgreen:

Or, you know, you just wash the pillowcase...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

pillowcase?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Maiden's lap that you set your head down on while she strokes your fur and sings maidenly songs?

Zingoleb

I wish I had fur.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker

I know a girl who has her eyeliner tattooed on. OUCH.

Formerly LoliButt.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

That's not good for your skin  :-\ .

Also, remember this case?
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2013, 06:15 by K1dmor »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I know a girl who has her eyeliner tattooed on. OUCH.
AAAGHHGGGHGHFUBAR!

How does one do that!? I mean, without blinding themselves?
Worry Hat, Engage!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Very carefully?

It's a pretty popular thing to do with the 30s to 40s crowd, it seems. I am just not that dedicated. Plus I'd rather spend tattoo money on something better than eyeliner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up