THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make-Up Thread: Because we all like to feel pretty sometimes  (Read 48574 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Don't even TALK about marbling dude.  :parrot:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

That tutorial is really helpful. My Mammy had tried to do the marbling effect but it's very messy. The lip balm is a smart idea.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Hey! I checked out her blog! It was quite fancy and I enjoyed it very much thank you.  :-D
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

EVERYONE LISTEN TO THE LITTLE CHEESE!

*runs out of thread*

Papersatan

I also looked at it when you posted it. 

Here are my 'Prom' nails.  They match my dress which I will post in the photo thread later.

here is the makeup:

The eyeshadow looks read but it is about the same color as my hair in real life, as is the lipstick. 

I'm a little miffed; I was going to wear false lashes too, but one came loose in my bag an became tangled with a billion cat hairs and then my lash glue was on it's way out and I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.  I still might extend the liner into a cat eye, but I am worried I will just mess it up, and I am happy with how it looks right now.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

So pretty <3
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I also looked at it when you posted it. 

Well how was I supposed to know? Not one person answered.  :-\ But nevermind, it's not about showing her off or anything. If she got any feedback or anything here I'd show it to her.

Papersatan

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Lovely nails, again!

Does anyone have tips for glitter nails without making a huge mess? Or is the huge mess part of the process?

Lines

• Awakened

Glitter polish? I used to use it a lot and it was never that messy, just a bitch to get off.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

I second that. I don't find that the glitter comes off under normal wear and tear, so it doesn't make the typical "glitter everywhere!" mess that glitter products typically do. 

The way I typically get my polish off is with acetone nailpolish remover and those flat cotton rounds you get in the beauty section.  I soak two of the rounds in the remover and wrap one around the next nail while I use the other to rub the current one.  letting the round full of remover just sit on the nail before you try to rub the polish off helps a lot with glitter polishes and when a design has a bunch of layers. 

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I keep seeing a thing on Pinterest to paint your nail with white/Elmer's glue as a base for the glitter polish, and then just peeling off the glue layer when you're done with it. I haven't tried it though, it seems to me that it would come off more easily from daily wear & tear.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Using glue seems like it would rip a layer of nail off?

It's more the using clear or coloured polish and fine glitter is how I've seen it done. Can't seem to find decent glitter polish, only cheapy little girl things. May just have to look harder.

Zingoleb

I'm getting wrinkles under my eyes (along with the bags that have been there for ten years) and I don't know what eye cream to use because I never use any.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Don't use eye cream! Just use a moisturiser for really dry and sensitive skin, using an eye cream at your age will do more harm than gain. The way creams for wrinkle prone skin works is that they make the skin regenerate faster, which is great when you're older and your skin does this slowly, but when your skin is young it already does this by itself. Forcing it to do it more will make it age faster too.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Zingoleb

oh, okay.

(things i should also do: use makeup remover. also take off makeup before bed.)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

yesssssssssssssssss

I want to find an excuse to get prettied up soon! I haven't worn makeup in forever.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Using glue seems like it would rip a layer of nail off?

I don't think so, because it's just white craft glue.

Papersatan

That'd probably be good if you wanted glitter nails for just a day, for an event or something, but I can't imagine it would hold up well if you wanted to keep the nails for a week or more. 

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

We're having a co-birthday shindig tomorrow, and I want to wear a dress, but I'm hearing rumors of water balloons. I really want nothing to do with said water balloons, and I've been told I should bring a swimsuit of some kind. Le sigh and HUUFFF. Should I bother putting on make-up? I'd honestly like to lurk indoors if it comes to water balloons, but my friends can be a bit pushy about the "Come onnnnnnn; it'll be funnnnnnnnnnn; lighten uuuuupppppppp." :/ What do y'all think I should do?

Also, Boyfriend did my fingernails the other day, and I have pics, but they're only on my phone. I'll upload when feeling less lazy.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Dress for the water balloons and try to wreak maximum vengeance.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Help fill the water balloons.  This puts you in proximity of the faucet...

Then get the hose.  It's like having a bazooka among grenades. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

When I was little I would put food colouring into my water balloons and guns to mark the people I hit.

Papersatan

You can wear makeup and still water balloon.  If your mascara/eyeliner are not water proof, just pack a few q-tips, and after the fun use them to clean up any smudges and go on your way.  Frequently my early morning touch up after a wild night out is just un-racooning this way. 
Any fancy eye shadow you've done may have faded, but you will still look fine.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Makeup, eh? I'm ridiculously basic with it, because I have zero skills yet.

(click to show/hide)

Pretty much just some eye stuff and a bit of lip-gloss, which seems to have done more to hide my lips than accentuate them (closer to skin-colour). :roll:

On another note: Hurray for having a messy version of Claire-hair in it.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Carl-E

• Awakened

Ah, but eyes do a lot - and yours are well-done! 

Metope

Yep, that is good eye makeup. I've been doing makeup for years and I still don't know how to do dramatic eyes properly, so that is very well done!
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 10:43 by Metope »
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Agreed! Your make-up looks rather good. :)

And regarding water balloons: I had forgotten at the time of posting that I needed to leave at 6 during the party to go take an exam. I cannot imagine how unhappy I would have been if I had been soaking wet in any capacity during that. My hair takes forever to dry.

There ended being no water balloons because it was rainy, and we nerds are afraid of the outdoors. :P Actually, it seemed like everyone was afraid of activity in general. :P It was fairly uneventful while I was there, and there was apparently a colossal falling-out that I missed, which I could not be more thankful for missing.

Regardless, I got too lazy to put on make-up, but I stayed dry regardless. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Oh, cool. Thanks, people! [+1 Confidence] :-)

And good thing it sorta worked out with your concerns, Loli, even if it was a bit mellow!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Makeup, eh? I'm ridiculously basic with it, because I have zero skills yet.
Basic well done, and your eyes are good, is better than fancy ill done.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

lepetitfromage

Yes, I agree! Very nice, Valdis  :-)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

So I'm hoping someone has an idea of what happened here.

I got my nails done... I dunno, maybe two months ago? It's been a while. They put special strengthening clear polish on because my nails often crack and break for no reason that I can see.

I have not taken the polish off - just let my nails grow out. But now they are even weaker than before. They are splitting and breaking faster than ever. I can't seem to keep them long because of this, and I hate it. I can't even scratch with them because they're so damn weak.

Did I leave the strengthening stuff on for too long? I have left regular polish on for much longer than this before, with no side effects like this.

Carl-E

• Awakened

All I can think is that it was too good a seal - and left the nail bed without enough oxygen.  It's mainly fed from below, but nails are porous. 

But what's more likely is that there's been a recent change in diet, stress, or something similar that's preventing your nails from being made correctly. 

Lines

• Awakened

Are you eating enough protein?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

My diet has always been terrible, nothing has changed with that recently. I am dealing with a lot of stress but again, it's nothing new. So I'm very confused. I miss my longish nails :(

Papersatan

My nails have always been pretty strong and thick, and are curved like fake nails, and since I keep them long and bright people always ask me what I do for them.  I think these things are mostly genetic because I have never made an effort to make my nails strong beyond filing chips down do they don't spread.  The only diet changes know of to help are to eat gelatin and b vitamins.  I supplement with neither, but I eat a lot of meat (which is the source of both). 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yeah I barely eat any meat these days. Not on purpose, it just doesn't end up happening. My nails are looking worse and worse. I'm using a strengthening polish that I'm really hoping will make a difference soon. I can't even like, scratch my skin, they're so short and useless.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

This is what's happening to the only long nail I have - a huge crack that's so low I can't cut my nail to avoid it catching on anything  :cry:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Yeah I barely eat any meat these days. Not on purpose, it just doesn't end up happening.
It might be a good idea then if you did some reading about how to make sure you get enough of the "good stuff" from a vegetarian diet, even if you have not decided that you are a vegetarian. :)

Fingernails need adequate protein in your diet. If you are not eating meat, you need to make sure you're getting enough from beans, tofu, mushrooms etc. Dairy protein is another option obviously if you can digest it, and eggs too if you're OK with them. Getting adequate iron is another issue with nails and hair, because iron from vegetable sources is more difficult for your body to absorb, but keeping up your Vitamin C intake helps with that. Some trace elements including zinc, copper and sulphur are supposed to be good for hair and nails. Shortage of biotin (AKA Vitamin H, Vitamin B7) may cause problems, but it is rare. Biotin is claimed as a "magic ingredient" in some skin and hair care products, but I think it's a bit bogus.

I am very skeptical about "strengthening polishes" quite frankly. I'd look to protein intake, and consider taking a multi-vitamin with minerals, though I know that good ones are not exactly cheap.  :-\
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Papersatan

As far as nail oriented solutions, you may want to look into nail wraps.  You can have them done professionally, or buy them online.  They come in silk and fiberglass.  They are basically a fiber layer that you adhere to the nail to give it strength.  They don't make then nail grow any stronger, but they reinforce what you have allowing it to grow out, and then cover snags and tears so they don't catch on things.   I've never used them, but I've only heard good things about them from people who have.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

How to repair your nail with a teabag. I've never tried it, but another site said it's basically a cheapo DIY version of a wrap. Some instructions say to do a little patch over the tear, others say to do the whole nail.
I'm also vegetarian and while I do get enough protein, I definitely think it helps to use Hard As Nails or another strengthener as the base and top coat when I paint my nails. Plus it helps the polish last more than like two days.

lepetitfromage

I like Hard As Nails too :-) That stuff is great.

Neko- That happened to me a few weeks ago. I'd definitely try the teabag thing. I tried to fix mine using only nail glue and on top of it just being gloopy and messy, it was a huge pain in the ass to smooth it down.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Thanks, ladies. I will see what I can do. I definitely need to work on my diet, and I do have some tea bags lying around so I can try to repair the crack. I don't have any nail glue, but I'm guessing it would be good to have, since I get these cracks a lot.

lepetitfromage

It's definitely worth having. I found mine at a dollar store! (In a pinch, super glue will work as well. They're pretty close to the same thing)

Zingoleb

where can i get lipstick these shades

Zingoleb

also have a gif while i'm in here

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

One with a pink alicorn, to boot.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Zingoleb

that looks a little bright

i'm looking for something a little more like this

but even darker would be gr8, really
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up