THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make-Up Thread: Because we all like to feel pretty sometimes  (Read 48553 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

It seems like you've answered your question about where to get it then, or is there a reason you can't buy it there?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

it's close, but it's not quite what i want. i'll get it if that's the closest option, but it's not quite it.

i'm looking for the green equivalent to the blue i found the other day (and immediately lost, somehow)

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

I think I found the color? But of course it's pricey and they won't ship to the US. Morgana's Crypt has a few greens and just a bunch of cool colors in general. Plus, you can order a sample for 2 bucks.

Have you tried a loose pigment or eye shadow mixed with Vaseline?

While searching, I saw this one too, so amazing. Want.

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Zingoleb

oh, i like morgana's crypt a lot a lot. thank you.

i actually use eyeshadow a lot for lip colours. my favourite so far has been the blamed blue here, which i then cover with a coat of lip gloss. the fact that it's a v. creamy eyeshadow really helps - powders only go so far.

Lines

• Awakened

Have you tried using a dark lip liner under a sheer lipstick/gloss? It'll change the color quite a bit.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Zingoleb

confession: i've never used lip liner

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Neither have I. Although I may steal your idea of eye shadow sticks for lipstick.

Lines

• Awakened

I almost never use it (because I don't own any!), but if you find a lip liner or even an eyeliner that you like that is darker in color than what you want and then put a lighter shade of lipstick/gloss/whatever on top, your number of lip colors will grow.

Zingoleb

neat, i will keep that in mind. thanks!

Zingoleb

so i tried your suggestion - sorta kinda. i put on some pinkish purple, but r. what i wanted was a dark purple, so i just filled in the edges with eyeshadow (and lip glossed over it) and got this really gr8 two-tone lip thing going on.

(this is me presenting 'male', just for the record)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Nifty fedora!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I just posted something on tumblr about using crayons for makeup? I will find it when I get to a computer.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Papersatan

I'd like to endorse a new mascara. 

NYX Provocateur

I bought it at Ulta as my free item in a buy two get one deal.  Such a good choice.  It goes on smooth and it not clumpy, but the best, best. best part.  It has two ways to get the brush out, one of which wipes most of the product off of it on the way out. They advertise this as being for your lower lashes (which it is great for) but I have been using when I want my top lashes to be more subtle too. 

For instance today I wanted my job interview makeup to be subtle :

Don't mind my schwetty cheek, it is hot as balls. 

The only downside is I don't think it is water proof (maybe a poor choice in this heat, but I only need to look nice for an hour :) )
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013, 18:27 by Papersatan »

Lines

• Awakened

Your pic no worky. :(

Papersatan

(fixed)

Papersatan

Sometimes you have to go big or go home.

This is the same mascara as before, but just using the full strength way of getting the brush out.

Sometimes you also need to find your tweezers and clean up your eyebrows :/

(I'm tempted to go put on fake lashes too)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Ooooh, pretty!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened

How do you get such a straight line on the outer edge of your eye?

Papersatan

scotch tape

lepetitfromage

Ooooooh, I love it!

And I'm SO stealing that scotch tape idea. Brilliant!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I got my eShakti dress today!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

lepetitfromage

Oooooh, that looks amazing on you!! Lurrrrrve it.

Papersatan

I was actually looking at that same dress last week!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Have any of you who've ordered from them before had an problem with the skirt being longer than you ordered/expected? I also got a skirt (this one) which I ordered in "above the knee" but falls solidly at the bottom of my knee as described in the standard. I tried emailing but got a stupid form response. I'll probably just get it hemmed because it's pretty frumpy as is, but is that a "thing" with eShakti? Either not customizing or measuring things weird? 4 inches is a HUGE difference when you're talking about skirt length.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Papersatan

I've got 5 dresses from them now and I have never had a problem, it seems like it was just a one time error. 

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So I want to dye my hair in some sort of red. Probably a deep red that look somewhat natural. (Think Scarlett Johanson in the Avengers)

So, people of the internet, as it is the first time dying my hair, do you have any advice for me? I'm mainly concerned with the choice of buying a dye kit or getting a proffessional to do it at a hair salon (Or one of my friends).
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Papersatan

How much hair do you have?
What color is it naturally?

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

Not much really. My hair is very fine (thin strands) and it is around 2.5 in. I'd say.

And naturally it's dirty blonde (The exact color changes on the season/when I go outside often) It can look anything like dark blonde with a slight hint of red to pretty light blonde (Sort of  like if I had highlights)

Papersatan

It should be pretty easy for you to get good results with a kit, especially if you have help from a friend.

lAdvice:
Make sure you look at the swatches on the side/back of the box, not just the model on the front, to get a better idea of how it will look on your hair.  Read the instructions all the way through before you start. You may want to put a towel or old sheet on the floor under you if you are on carpets or nice floors.  "normal" dyes don't tend to stain as much, but if you are concerned about fucking up, you can put a thin layer of petroleum jelly around your neck/ears/forehead and over your eyebrows before you start which will prevent any staining from drips. 

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

for reference:

Lines

• Awakened

Have any of you who've ordered from them before had an problem with the skirt being longer than you ordered/expected? I also got a skirt (this one) which I ordered in "above the knee" but falls solidly at the bottom of my knee as described in the standard. I tried emailing but got a stupid form response. I'll probably just get it hemmed because it's pretty frumpy as is, but is that a "thing" with eShakti? Either not customizing or measuring things weird? 4 inches is a HUGE difference when you're talking about skirt length.

I ordered a maxi dress from them and it is a little too long, but it did mention that it'd be full length with 3" heels. Granted, I almost never wear heels, so that's kind of my own fault, but I'd rather it be a little long than too short like most maxi dresses. I have to get it altered anyways, because the chest gapes something serious. I would have just returned it, but I didn't feel like waiting another 3+ weeks to get it. Also one of my best friends knows a really good seamstress who does alterations.

lepetitfromage

The chest gapes on a dress I bought from them too- was definitely not expecting that problem.

Lines

• Awakened

Well...this is the dress and considering my current bra size is a 38G, I'm not too surprised? But the dress itself is a bit loose and I don't really see why it starts to gape. If I want to wear it, I have to wear it with a cardigan. Which is lame. But like I said, I want to see about getting it altered.

Also I want to buy lots of their dresses, but I'm gonna post about that in the fashion thread instead, because I want opinions. :)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Also one of my best friends knows a really good seamstress who does alterations.
This is much the best approach. You can wear the dress while they pin and tuck.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

lepetitfromage

This is the one I got. I love it so much, but the chest is HUGE. I gave them my exact measurements though, which completely boggles my mind.  :psyduck:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Okay so I don't know that this deserves a whole new thread so I'll put it here.

I just used this stuff: http://villainess.net/grundy-smooch.html and it's fantastic. Scrubby and rough but not too rough, and it left behind a lotion-type stuff but it's not overly thick or greasy. I love it.

I've been good about not buying any new bath junk lately (besides shampoo and the like, when I need it), so I've been working through the stuff I bought a while ago. This is the last of my scrubs, and the only scrub-then-lotion stuff I've liked so far.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Going to attempt bleaching part of my hair. I'm prepared for it possibly turning out orangey since I'm going from dark blonde/auburn. Then I plan on dying the bleached part an unnatural colour I want to keep a surprise.

Any advice on time to leave the bleached hair before dying again or other tips? I have fine-to-thick hair which I haven't dyed in over a year and it's quite healthy right now.

Papersatan

I usually dye mine right away.  If you want to do two rounds of bleaching I would wait a day or two, bleach again and then dye.

If your hair is brassy after bleaching you can use toner to 'blue' it some.  This matters more if you are going for a cool color (blue, prurple, some greens) and less if you are going for a warm color.  I never tone mine, which means the pink fades to orangish, but I just re-dye it. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Partial bleach follow up photo.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 12:52 by Welu »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Nicely done!  That should take your color of choice quite well! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

Makeup is one of my most favorite things!
These pictures aren't good quality because I didn't have a good camera when I took them, they were taken with my webcam and phone which is why they are pixelated. :-) I'm just gonna dump a few "looks" on here.

"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

Some pictures have Instagram filters on them so they seem more/less saturated or bright than the others.
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

love it!

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

Thank you  :-D

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could do makeup like that, but I can never get both eyes to match. The first one will turn out great and then the second will be all wonky and I'll remove it all in a fit of rage, I usually just do a little bit of shadow and mascara.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

Haha, thank you :) You should practice with kohl eyeliner and make faint lines of what you want to do, that way it won't be a big deal if you mess up. When you have it the way you want it, just go over it with a heavier hand.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

The first two eye make-ups are gorgeous! You also have great eyebrows.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I am dealing with some serious stress/sleep dep acne (almost like I'm an insomniac with an anxiety disorder or some shit... >.>;) and while I am not a vain man... sorta... I do like looking good for dates and the like, so while I'm clearing the acne up I am considering using some concealer. Any protips? I am completely clueless on the use and application of make up, I only know what concealer is because an ex used it so we could cover up some bite marks/hickeys.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

for serious cover up, I use a liquid foundation and then cover that with a powder foundation.  You might just want to ask an employee at a walgreens near you, they can help match the skintone and such so the makeup doesn't stand out. They also probably won't push seriously expensive products at you.

Here are the specific brands that I use:

covergirl true blend liquid foundation
bare minerals powder foundation and mineral veil.

They work fairly well, but if you are trying to cover up a cut or popped pimple the bump might still show.

lepetitfromage

I tend to like the fancy green sticks for neutralizing any redness (I think my current one is by Neutrogena but any that I've tried have always worked well), then covering with a light powder or foundation. I generally tend to like CG products as well but Bare Minerals can get a bit shiny.

Also, this is the best acne treatment I have ever used. And I've tried A LOT. (FYI- Proactiv sucks.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up