THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Wedding! What was your Moment Of The Week?

The explanation of "Aunt" Jane.
- 4 (10.8%)
An "Erotic Photographer!"
- 0 (0%)
Lace Panties and a Garter Belt. (I could really use some more material for my upskirt site!)
- 3 (8.1%)
"Marten, be a good boy and look away." (Yes, mother.)
- 2 (5.4%)
Does it, um, bother you? What your mother does? (Nah, I'm used to it.)
- 0 (0%)
It must've been weird growing up.
- 0 (0%)
It was pretty funny seeing other parents "recognize" her on Career Day...
- 6 (16.2%)
The Artistic Equivalent of Name Dropping (Charles Stross, Keith GWS, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black)
- 0 (0%)
Who were all those people? I have NO idea.
- 5 (13.5%)
A female Officiant, White Tux, a Flower Girl, Maurice comes in on... a WHITE HORSE?
- 6 (16.2%)
Your noble steed is now grazing on the azaelas.
- 2 (5.4%)
Henry Reed and Maurice Duplantier.
- 0 (0%)
Ring exchange, kiss, "I now pronounce you married!"
- 0 (0%)
Claire: "That's IT?"
- 9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2392-2396 (25 February- 1 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56678 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

When I die,  I hope it's really difficult and expensive to recover my body -- and that the coverage on the news lasts for days.

"NASA and the Canadian Air Force have been called in the recover the body of local engineer Brian Richard who met his demise earlier this week and is now lodged atop the cellphone tower on the tallest building in the City -- experts believe recovery operations will exceed $25 million dollars... and will be funded entirely by the tax payers."

Yeah... I'm an asshole.    :-D

"If it weren't for the loss of signal throughout the city, we'd leave the body for the vultures" an official was heard to say. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

The Parsis place their dead in "Towers of Silence." Soon after I arrived in Bombay in late 1966, I attended a Republic Day party on Malabar in the city, within sight of that city's tower (s). No sighting of vultures, though this 1880 photo shows them ... waiting. My memory is that the structure was much taller.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

When I die,  I hope it's really difficult and expensive to recover my body -- and that the coverage on the news lasts for days.

"NASA and the Canadian Air Force have been called in the recover the body of local engineer Brian Richard who met his demise earlier this week and is now lodged atop the cellphone tower on the tallest building in the City -- experts believe recovery operations will exceed $25 million dollars... and will be funded entirely by the tax payers."

Yeah... I'm an asshole.    :-D

"If it weren't for the loss of signal throughout the city, we'd leave the body for the vultures" an official was heard to say.

Actually Sprint customers reported FINALLY getting more than two bars -- then the network crashed because it couldn't handle more than five calls at once.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I've never been to a Buddhist wedding
Traditionally, there is no such thing, because marriage is regarded purely as a civil, secular institution. Buddhist monks and nuns would not normally officiate at weddings, but it is common to obtain a blessing at your local temple afterwards. However, in countries with a cultural tradition of weddings being performed in a religious context, some Buddhists do seek an "all in one" ceremony combining legal marriage with religious blessing, and some Mahayana "clergy"* have become civil marriage celebrants in order to offer this service. Theravada "clergy"* will not, or at least I have not heard of their doing so, as traditionally it is contrary to their rules of conduct.

*English is difficult here. Buddhism does not really have the equivalent of a Christian priest. Monk or nun are closer, but they are specifically gendered terms which are not appropriate. Monastic is sometimes used as a noun to avoid the gender problem, but it sounds a little clumsy.

Ordination of women in Buddhism is a complex issue. The Lord Buddha established the female sangha (I am using the word in its original, specifically monastic sense) within just a few years of the male, and it flourished for centuries. In the Theravada tradition it appears to have died out around the time of the European Middle Ages, but in the Mahayana tradition of China, Korea and Japan, the ordination of women continued unbroken to the present day.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

*English is difficult here. Buddhism does not really have the equivalent of a Christian priest. Monk or nun are closer, but they are specifically gendered terms which are not appropriate. Monastic is sometimes used as a noun to avoid the gender problem, but it sounds a little clumsy.

For what it's worth most people ended up referring to the Hofgoðar et al. as "Temple Priests" too. Was inappropriate for good Christian scholars to pay too much attention to the heathens. :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I'll be honest - I've pretty much only heard Buddhist monastics referred to as "monks," regardless of sex.  I don't think I've ever heard the term "Buddhist nun" before this thread.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Bob and Battle-Britches are still married, and she is still like a severe thunderstorm of  wit:  One good wisecrack and flames everywhere.   
We're all good friends.  I knew her for quite awhile before the wedding,  and I knew Bob as well.    She's one of those people that you have to meet at least once -- even if she's having an off day she's still an absolute riot to talk with.
I quoted the anecdote to FB friends, and a couple wanted to know if there were repercussions. Did the objector remain quiet through the remainder of the ceremony? Slink out of the church? Avoid the reception? Or hadn't she been invited?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up