She looks cute in ALL of them!
- 11 (11.5%)
Meh.
- 4 (4.2%)
I'm lousy at dresses.
- 11 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2397-2401 (4-8 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 81770 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And here we go, a post-convention week - and a milestone of sorts, as we hit 2.4k strips!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I caught the garter... and the bride's weird aunt caught the bouquet. They made me put the garter on her leg. :-o

edit - and both the bridesmaids were already married, so I didn't get to get it on with either of them...

edit2 - not that I would have had the chance if they weren't married...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'd been to a job interview, and there was a wedding reception in the ballroom of the hotel I was staying in. 

I already had a suit and tie on...

Free drinks, dinner, and a lot of people I didn't know.  Struck up a few pleasant conversations.  Said I was a friend of a friend of the grooom's when anyone asked. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I got to embarrass my sister at her own wedding a couple of years ago (yep, stood up and did a speech).

But at my various aunts and uncles various weddings, it's mostly a case of meeting family members for the first (or more embarrassingly, second) time in your life...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Carl-E

• Awakened

HA!  When they say, "Oh, you haven't changed a bit!" and you don't even recognize them...

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

I was driving back from a reception about 100 miles away from where most of the wedding party lived - they got married in her hometown. Suddenly, on a big curve on a four-lane highway, there was a car in the middle of the road, sideways. I missed it, pulled over to see if I could help - and it was several members of the party who had been driving home and slid in the curve. A couple were hurt and I ended up staying with them in the hospital.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

My girlfriend's brother got married last December. It was a Jewish wedding and I got to help lift the chair, good times. Also last May I caught the garter and put it on this cute girl that was there that caught the bouquet. Neither of us were single, so it didn't go further than that, but it was still fun.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened

See, it's supposed to be the single women who gather to catch the bouquet, and single men who catch the garter. 

Prevents things like that from happening...  :-D

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Before he married, my dad hated it when relatives would go up to him at weddings and say "You're next!". He stopped it by doing it to them at funerals.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Last reception I went to, my sister, her boyfriend and I had fun with some of the younger folks' style of party clothes -- ranging from hoodies and cutoff sweats to a dress made of sequins the size of saucers, but not very many.

And the maid of honor stood to give her toast to the happy couple, talking about how she and the bride had been besties since the sandbox days and turning to the groom, glass upraised, and saying, "and if you make her cry, I will find you and hurt you." She looked like she could do it, too.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Before he married, my dad hated it when relatives would go up to him at weddings and say "You're next!". He stopped it by doing it to them at funerals.
Classy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

See, it's supposed to be the single women who gather to catch the bouquet, and single men who catch the garter. 

Prevents things like that from happening...  :-D
Ha, they just said "unmarried" people at that wedding.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I like the way he thinks.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mabhatter

• Not quite a lurker

I'm pretty sure, in the Princess Bride anyway, that you have to say "I do." or you're not really married?

Claire was really looking forward to the whole "Marwwage, is a beautiful thing..." Sermon, speeches, vows, rings, etc, etc...

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Well, apparently Momo won the robot fight.  PT410x seems pretty pissed off about it, though.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

He doubtless considers it exploitive and degrading.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Having the comics resume tomorrow means that by Friday, we will be back on multiples of five at the end of a week. [/OCD Moment]
Signature OF DOOM!

Carl-E

• Awakened

Nah, he's just ticked off at having lost the last round to Pintsize. 

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

My ex-gf caught the bouquet. The garter came right at me. Between the awkwardness and the huge stink-eye my current gf was giving me, I had no choice but the shove the total stranger next to me at it.

Adjamemnon

• Not quite a lurker

I'm not sure which I enjoy more; Momo's "VICTORY!" stance or Winslow's happiness at Momo's victory.

Meanwhile, before two friends of mine got married, I warned them that, at their reception, I would do the "Mawwage" speech from The Princess Bride.  I made good on that threat, but turned it into a pretty decent toast afterward.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

My own wedding reception - the food wasn't wonderful. Many of the guests got food poisoning, as did my partner.
My wedding night was spent cleaning up at both ends. Oddly enough, a more intimate bonding moment you couldn't imagine, it meant "I will always love you forever no matter what, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health".
32 years and 11 days ago.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I wonder.. will we make AI's so much in our own image? Will our species' children be better than their parents, or just different?

Will Momo and Station....  will they have that capability, to bond with another person, to fall in love and be loved? I hope so. I can't imagine forming them without that, it's the greatest gift we were given by evolution. Perhaps we can even improve on it, for them?

OK, I'm a hopeless romantic. Meh. It's me.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I once bumped into my aunt in an unexpected place. She came up to me all excited and, "Haven't you grown!!" I didn't recognise her at all and said do. I think she was pretty hurt.
I'd met her maybe four or five times at that point and hadn't seen her for a few years! Plus she looked different.
Although that was true of her meeting me too so maybe I have no excuse.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I wonder.. will we make AI's so much in our own image? Will our species' children be better than their parents, or just different?

Will Momo and Station....  will they have that capability, to bond with another person, to fall in love and be loved? I hope so. I can't imagine forming them without that, it's the greatest gift we were given by evolution. Perhaps we can even improve on it, for them?

OK, I'm a hopeless romantic. Meh. It's me.
We'd done a discussion on this before (from comic #2085). And for the most part, in an ideal situation, I'd agree with you. But with the amount of indifference, and indeed hate, in the world... would you really want to curse them with such a thing as human emotions at this stage?

Hopefully, when we've finally developed true AI, we've settled our differences completely. Then I'll happily call you a romantic, and things won't be so hopeless... :)

Shit. Now who's being the hopeless romantic?
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm glad PT410X (don't call him Petey) got a new head (and neckbeard!) since we saw him last. His default emotional setting is grumpy.

Momo is the champ!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened

His default emotional setting is grumpy.

Happy.  Dopey.  Doc.  Sleepy, Sneezy, Winslow...

Momo and the seven Anthro PC's. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Hm. PT definitely Grumpy. Winslow would be Happy, Station has the chops to be Doc, Pintsize is Dopey ... the Roomba is Sneezy? All that dust ...

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

So, since today's comic is "omghidden", that means that QC is returning to Friday comic numbers ending in 5s and 0s. Unless Jeph does another "omghidden" comic.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

So, since today's comic is "omghidden", that means that QC is returning to Friday comic numbers ending in 5s and 0s. Unless Jeph does another "omghidden" comic.

What? How do you get to see this comic? I can't figure it out!
What do you know about Pokémon?

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

You can't see it at all? If you've got an adblocker, check whether it's blocking things with "hidden" in the filename, since the image file is in a directory called "omghidden".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's your favorite Wedding Reception memory?

Party ALL NIGHT LONG, Baby!    2 (9.1%)
The dinner spread (I LOVED the sliced roast beef!)    1 (4.5%)
I caught the garter one year. Never did get it on with the bridesmaid, though.    2 (9.1%)
I caught the boquet one time. Instinctively wanted to toss it away.    0 (0%)
Never caught either, but I won a bottle of champagne once during the dance off!    0 (0%)
Caught it, got lucky, and got married within two years.    0 (0%)
Random later-regretted hookups (ala "The Wedding Crashers")    1 (4.5%)
I had absolutely NO idea who anyone was, so I cut out early.    1 (4.5%)
I got to make the embarrassing speech!    2 (9.1%)
Eh, it was normal.    4 (18.2%)
Something that involved a trampoline, a chainsaw, and the UCLA Marching Band.    0 (0%)
Waking up the next day and realizing I was MARRIED!    9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

You can't see it at all? If you've got an adblocker, check whether it's blocking things with "hidden" in the filename, since the image file is in a directory called "omghidden".

Gah! It's probably the seriously outdated IE on my work computer. Maybe I'll see it when I get home.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

That could be it. I can't see it in IE9, but in Chrome it's fine.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

But with the amount of indifference, and indeed hate, in the world... would you really want to curse them with such a thing as human emotions at this stage?
Yes.

I suspect I'm the only person here whose species has been debated. Not for long, the medical team quickly came to he decision that I was rightly classified as H.Sap... but it was reasonable to consider the question. Even I thought so, after seeing the blood tests.

I'm far enough from the norm that I take a rather relaxed view about wetware/hardware platform, those are implementation details, part of the design, not the requirements.

Is this a person? Is this a good person? Has this person got the intellect required to be a "responsible adult"? So far, only (some) members of H.Sap qualify in all three. But some members of other species qualify fpr #1 at least. Some for #1 and #2 - they keep and love their pets.
I think it's that latter, as much as anything, that defines "intelligent life". The ability to form ad hoc symbiosis, emotional attachments, with multiple high level species, rather than language or tool use.

As for "Civil Rights" - I'm with Asimov. Any entity that is capable of requesting them is entitled to them.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I think it's appropriate to deeplink in this case for anyone not able to see the panel: http://www.questionablecontent.net/omghidden/robotfightpanel.png

Also, in The Long Earth by Pratchett, which I yet have to read

(click to show/hide)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I... think I need a wallpaper of this strip.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I suspect I'm the only person here whose species has been debated. Not for long, the medical team quickly came to he decision that I was rightly classified as H.Sap... but it was reasonable to consider the question. Even I thought so, after seeing the blood tests.

Seriously? There was actually a medical question about your species? To say that I'm appalled is to greatly understate my reaction to this.

If I'm overreacting, it's because I grew up in the American South, where one occasionally runs into an idiot who will offer up the opinion that people who aren't white aren't homo sapiens and therefore aren't entitled to human rights. These people always make me see red. Even more so when they assume that I'd agree with them because I'm white - I always quickly and in no uncertain terms disabuse them of that assumption. So I'm primed to respond with outrage whenever a person's basic humanity is questioned.

If and when we get to the point where we actually do have non-human (or even part-human) intelligent life, I imagine I'll be one of the people advocating for "person" to be defined broadly rather than narrowly. Civil rights for all people, damn it, because I refuse to be part of a master race.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

If I'm overreacting, it's because I grew up in the American South, where one occasionally runs into an idiot who will offer up the opinion that people who aren't white aren't homo sapiens and therefore aren't entitled to human rights. These people always make me see red. Even more so when they assume that I'd agree with them because I'm white - I always quickly and in no uncertain terms disabuse them of that assumption. So I'm primed to respond with outrage whenever a person's basic humanity is questioned.

Let me guess.. They simultaneously rant about interracial baby-making? *Hint-hint* ;)

Civil rights for all people, damn it, because I refuse to be part of a master race.

On a related note: Keep in mind that the "Over-man" (Übermensch) has nothing to do with a Master-Slave relation, it has to do with the Self-realized man transcending dogma and forging their own path. The "Master race" of the past was just dogma. Contrast with Transhumanism. Yay, superior humanity!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

So I assume that a robot game of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots would involve calculations of the maximum frequency at which the button could be pressed without breaking the game?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Let me guess.. They simultaneously rant about interracial baby-making? *Hint-hint* ;)

Hence my use of the term "idiot."  :-D

On a related note: Keep in mind that the "Over-man" (Übermensch) has nothing to do with a Master-Slave relation, it has to do with the Self-realized man transcending dogma and forging their own path. The "Master race" of the past was just dogma. Contrast with Transhumanism. Yay, superior humanity!

What I'm against is any kind of legally defined "master race", where one genetically or racially defined group has more rights under the law than another. If transhumanists realize their goals and actually engineer something "superior" to homo sapiens, fine, but I'm not offering them any more rights because of it. On the flip side, I won't try to take their rights away either.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

He was OK with it until Gordon beat him.

Carl-E

• Awakened

You took my joke!

Actually, I think it's more a case of "great minds think alike...

...and so do ours."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

how does Station actuate the rockem sockem robots? Does he take over another AI's chassis or parts of it?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You took my joke!

...and so do ours."
Oh heck, sorry man. Didn't see that. GMTA works for me if it works for you ...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

how does Station actuate the rockem sockem robots? Does he take over another AI's chassis or parts of it?

I was gonna say it was a holo-game, but I like your idea better. And maybe that's why PT's pissed ...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I... think I need a wallpaper of this strip.

It doesn't look to bad scaled up to 1680x1050. You can tell it's a smaller-res picture made big, but it doesn't really spoil it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

You took my joke!

...and so do ours."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

ZoeB, happy belated anniversary!

QC AIs seem to have some of humanity's less enjoyable emotions. Momo has been violently angry with Pintsize, and Station has engaged in premeditated meanness.

It's not clear how much of the creation of AIs was design and how much was accident.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I could do with a beer right now.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Aethien

• Curry sauce

great Divide makes some good ones. They're fairly widely distributed too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up