She looks cute in ALL of them!
- 11 (11.5%)
Meh.
- 4 (4.2%)
I'm lousy at dresses.
- 11 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2397-2401 (4-8 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 81596 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I suspect I'm the only person here whose species has been debated.
"you can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies" - Morrissey
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I have a horrible feeling that you could find at least one 19th century anthropologist who said the same thing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

great Divide makes some good ones. They're fairly widely distributed too.

Do you think they do overnight shipping to Germany?  :-\

Wtf, my browser is having caching issues or something.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I have a horrible feeling that you could find at least one 19th century anthropologist who said the same thing.

Oh, you could, very easily. 19th and early 20th century anthropologists were very keen on classifying the human species into distinct sub-groups. The problem was that, in trying to make all the groups homogenous while still trying to make their classification systems account for all of human diversity, they kept dividing us into smaller and smaller groups until their systems became so unwieldy and divorced from reality that they were meaningless.

Modern white supremacist groups tend to rely heavily on these century-old classification schemes to support their views. They get a wee bit testy when anyone points out that these schemes have been thoroughly debunked by modern science. I've had some entertaining arguments with them about it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Aethien

• Curry sauce

great Divide makes some good ones. They're fairly widely distributed too.

Do you think they do overnight shipping to Germany?  :-\

Wtf, my browser is having caching issues or something.
Ahh, you're German. Well in that case, try BeerNavigator. It'll cost you €13.25 in shipping and they don't have any Great Divide at the moment but they do have a metric fuckton of good beer from all over Europe and the US.

If you need/want recommendations, just let me know :-P

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I.... didn't actually expect such a helpful answer. But I am afraid I am not willing to order beer for so much money without trying it first. I was just moping around. ...This now catches me off-guard.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Yeah, well, I am Dutch (so hai there neighbor) and a little bit much of a beer geek so I could actually give you a helpful answer. :-P

Also, trying new beers is half the reason to order there and half the fun in drinking beer. That said, I can give you recommendations based on what you like and sites like Beer Advocate and RateBeer are quite helpful in determining whether a beer is good and/or popular.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

19th and early 20th century anthropologists were very keen on classifying the human species into distinct sub-groups. The problem was that, in trying to make all the groups homogenous while still trying to make their classification systems account for all of human diversity, they kept dividing us into smaller and smaller groups until their systems became so unwieldy and divorced from reality that they were meaningless.

To be fair that's a problem with "subspecies" in general, there not being much of a clear demarcation in how much variation needs to be present in a given population. Makes me think of the bird species with hundreds of "subspecies" with just tiny differences in beak-shape or colouration and so forth. All of evolution is a continuum, not clear distinct categories (dating back to biblical "kinds" etc.), so if one is doing that with the birds then of course it's pretty understandable to do so with the Far-Eastern epicanthal fold, dry earwax and what-not in humans. But like with anything such genetic traits aren't set in stone, so the groupings end up inaccurate as well apart from general guidelines. [Swede] [Southern Africans]

I think it's also rather telling than when doing a quick look on bird subspecies, since they came to mind, the first Google hit was the Royal Society article "Are subspecies useful in evolutionary and conservation biology?".  :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

The topics of birds and subspecies make me think of ring species.  Anyone interested in speciation might enjoy musing on this special case.  Can we say they might find it ... amusing?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

ROCKEM SOCKEM MOMO FSCK YEAH YOU GUYS

And so forth. ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

I want to add my own memory of that one time at a wedding reception.  A couple of decades ago, I had been invited to one of my best friend's wedding.  He had it at the chapel where they had attended college together (he was from the Chicago area, she was from western IL).  I remember wearing the suit that I had had from my own graduation.  I caught the garter, and one of their younger cousins caught the bouquet.  The main reasons that I did not do anything with her was that 1) she was much younger than me (I think early teens), and 2) in catching the garter I had split my pants.  Luckily I had a pair of sweat pants in my car so that I could change, but I left the reception soon after a photo was taken of me and her with the married couple.   :oops:  And no, I was not the next person to get married (not even in my family).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The house I lived in in Hackney was once owned by a doctor who had to get out of Edinburgh because his habit of grave-robbing for anatomy lessons was not appreciated.  He diversified into importing black people, initially to be displayed in zoos.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

The house I lived in in Hackney was once owned by a doctor who had to get out of Edinburgh because his habit of grave-robbing for anatomy lessons was not appreciated.  He diversified into importing black people, initially to be displayed in zoos.

Today we import other foreigners and lock them in jail.  Same thing?      *runs like hell*    :-o

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Watches large, loud angry mob of various foreign nationals wielding torches, various large farm tools and ropes chase MDBS*

Opposable thumbs rule!  :D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

This is probably my new favorite comic.

As well, the only wedding reception I've ever been to was remarkably boring, they didn't have throw the bouquet/garter. Though it could have been due to them being fairly conservative (to my knowledge).
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The last two weddings I've been to also lacked this.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

I love how Claire's final dress was the SECOND to last one she's shown trying XD
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I like the green one, at least the color of it. Also, I love her expression in the Bjork dress.
I love how Claire's final dress was the SECOND to last one she's shown trying XD
Well yeah, she may be the prettiest princess, but you shouldn't upstage the couple getting married! :emotrex:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

I suspect I'm the only person here whose species has been debated. Not for long, the medical team quickly came to he decision that I was rightly classified as H.Sap... but it was reasonable to consider the question. Even I thought so, after seeing the blood tests.

I just realized, guys.. Zoe is a sleeper-agent Cylon..  :psyduck:

(Can I meet Gaius Baltar? He's mai husbando..)
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I suspect I'm the only person here whose species has been debated. Not for long, the medical team quickly came to he decision that I was rightly classified as H.Sap... but it was reasonable to consider the question. Even I thought so, after seeing the blood tests.

Seriously? There was actually a medical question about your species?
More a biological one, but yes.
To say that I'm appalled is to greatly understate my reaction to this.

If I'm overreacting, it's because I grew up in the American South, where one occasionally runs into an idiot who will offer up the opinion that people who aren't white aren't homo sapiens and therefore aren't entitled to human rights.
Blood Pressure Warning:

Woods vs CG Studios (US 6th circuit)
: Submitted: that as a plaintiff who is Intersex is neither a "Man, Woman or Child", they are not "Natural Persons" so have no standing in court, any more than a dog or horse.
Held: that an Intersex person is neither a man nor woman so cannot be discriminated against on the basis of their sex - no matter how badly they're treated, it can't be considered discrimination.

In the marriage of C and D (falsely called C). (Brisbane Family Court) : Held: that an Intersex entity cannot marry anyone of either sex, as they are neither man nor woman, and marriage is between a man and a woman.

I'm used to it. In my case, my species was questioned based on purely biological test results. Whether I was a person deserving of civil rights was not, that question would never arise in the minds of my thoroughly professional, competent and caring medical team.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

THANK YOU MARIO!

BUT OUR PRINCESS IS IN
ANOTHER CASTLE!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I just realized, guys.. Zoe is a sleeper-agent Cylon..
We get treated like that sometimes, yes.

One episode of BSG in particular was severely triggering for many of us.

For that matter, a lot of Trans women really identified with Zoe in "Caprica"
Do I look male to you.... FRACK!!

OK, I think that's enough thread derailment.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Blood Pressure Warning:

: Submitted: that as a plaintiff who is Intersex is neither a "Man, Woman or Child", they are not "Natural Persons" so have no standing in court, any more than a dog or horse.
Held: that an Intersex person is neither a man nor woman so cannot be discriminated against on the basis of their sex - no matter how badly they're treated, it can't be considered discrimination.

In the marriage of C and D (falsely called C). (Brisbane Family Court) : Held: that an Intersex entity cannot marry anyone of either sex, as they are neither man nor woman, and marriage is between a man and a woman.

I'm used to it. In my case, my species was questioned based on purely biological test results. Whether I was a person deserving of civil rights was not, that question would never arise in the minds of my thoroughly professional, competent and caring medical team.

Wow. Now, THAT is vile.
Another reason I am glad to live on this side of the Atlantic. And to think the judges that took those decisions are supposed to be from the enlightened part of the population (or, at least, educated).
We are lucky to have a the ECHR around (European Court of Human Rights), who decided some times ago that a transsexual person should have her/his civil informations changed to reflect the change of sex.
Still work to be done, though.
Signature OF DOOM!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

6 and 8 is not Claire. The rest looks great.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I've got to say I'm with her all the way.  1 looks nice; 2 has those weird, ugly whatchamacallits; 3 is almost more of a tunic than a dress; 4... I can't put my finger on it, but between the color, neckline, length, and loose fit, it just looks wrong, and her complexion doesn't help; 5 is a nice dress, but again not great for a redhead; 6 and 8 are obvious jokes.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

8 is a pretty princess...but it only works when she's supposed to steal the spotlight from someone else...doing that at the wedding would be incredibly bad form.  :angel:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Tabfan

• Not quite a lurker

I actually rather like the panel 4 dress.  It's kinda slinky, and I enjoy the color, though I realize others might find it a bit glaring.  Of course, it seems more like a date dress, rather than one for a social function, so it's probably for the best that she didn't choose it.  And panel 5 is cute, too, though a bit on the dowdy side.
"Sham-bam-bamina."  Davis the Gray from Sockbaby

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I like the plain one, actually. But then again I'm a sucker for clothes women feel comfortable in.

Quote from: Jeph
If you were wondering what Claire's dress-selection process looked like, well, not you know.

... what?

Tabfan:
I got the streetwalker-vibe from No.4. Albeit a classy one. °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

chrisa1

• Plantmonster

I wonder.. will we make AI's so much in our own image? Will our species' children be better than their parents, or just different? [...]

OK, I'm a hopeless romantic. Meh. It's me.

What a great sentiment. However, AI is "artificial intelligence", which seems to preclude an emotional component, at least to me.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Since this is no longer available on the web, or in the tumblr, i'm just gonna post it here in case someone wants to save it or something  :angel: :

Entitled "RobotFightPanel".

Seeya.-

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)

The green dress is by far the best, imo.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Dress three is hot as hell for some reason.... I have odd tastes.

Happy late anniversary ZoeB, I'm glad someone figured out you're human and slapped the pen away from the idiot who brought the question up. Wait. What other species were suggested? Could you have been a pony instead? *trying to make light of a horrible situation on no sleep and a lot of caffeine, so I will apologize now and save myself some time, I'm so sorry*

Blood Pressure Warning:

Wow. Now, THAT is vile.
Another reason I am glad to live on this side of the Atlantic. And to think the judges that took those decisions are supposed to be from the enlightened part of the population (or, at least, educated).
We are lucky to have a the ECHR around (European Court of Human Rights), who decided some times ago that a transsexual person should have her/his civil informations changed to reflect the change of sex.
Still work to be done, though.

Quite... one of the few European ideas we could stand to import over here.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Ugh, I kind of hate it when Jeph decides to get weird about hiding fillers. Thanks to the folks who've posted it in here!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Well, it certainly makes any comments on the vanished strip pretty incomprehensible.

It might be a cliché, but the greens are best for Claire. The slinky pinky is terrible.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Claire looks awesome in the first green dress. I like the one she ended up with, but I'd love to see her appear in the green one, too. Most of the others are less impressive, though both the red one and the "too plain" one look OK.
What do you know about Pokémon?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

The green (#1) is nice but slightly cliche for a redhead.  Likewise, #2 could be made to work, but...
Fully agree on the grey sack (#3) and the pink... thing (#4).
I actually rather like the turquoise number (#5) that Claire considers "Meh."
Nothing more need be said of the Bjork-swan (#6).
I can see why she went with the blue (#7)... even though the Pretty Pink Princess look (#8) is adorable on her.

arkady

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Claire looks awesome in the first green dress. I like the one she ended up with, but I'd love to see her appear in the green one, too. Most of the others are less impressive, though both the red one and the "too plain" one look OK.

Red hair / green dress is a very striking choice. Jeph does seem to like blue dresses. IIRC Hannelore wore a (beautiful!) blue dress on her "date" with Sven.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I actually rather like the turquoise number (#5) that Claire considers "Meh."

She probably thinks the embroidered bust is a bit old-lady-ish.

the Pretty Pink Princess look (#8) is adorable on her.

Note how she is blushing at her guilty pleasure in it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

IIRC Hannelore wore a (beautiful!) blue dress on her "date" with Sven.
Yes. Yes she did.

1. Not a bad choice, actually.
2. Better for a classy cocktail party than a wedding, I'd say.
3. Plain? There'd be more interest and excitement in a school of accountancy...
4. Agreed.
5. Actually surprised she didn't go with that. Pretty darn classy.
6. :psyduck:
7. Probably would be a number 2 choice, if it were me.
8. "The squee factor goes up to 11."
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

One and five would have warranted a second look (and a cuff to the back of the head had I stared while Mrs Reiver was about).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Hmm...

1. Looks good on her, but yes, green on a redhead is a cliché. Mind you, it's as common as it is because it looks good.
2. Could work in the right scenario. The wedding is the wrong scenario.
3. Yeah, it's got the burlap sack thing going on. The color works on her, though.
4. Agreed, Claire. I can't figure out exactly the image I'm getting, but it's not a good one, and it's not just the pink. Almost like it doesn't look anywhere near feminine enough (and given that it's Claire, that's even worse) despite the pink, actually, although I could almost see Dora wearing it.
5. Agreed. It just seems like it doesn't go with her well.
6. LOLWUT
7. That works, too. (I think #1 looks better on her, but that's just me.)
8. Yeah, no, upstaging the couple is a bad idea, Claire.

And now I've just commented on the appearance of dresses on a fictional character in a webcomic. Welp, there goes my dignity.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

6. "Why do I even own this‽"
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Also, trying new beers is half the reason to order there and half the fun in drinking beer. That said, I can give you recommendations based on what you like and sites like Beer Advocate and RateBeer are quite helpful in determining whether a beer is good and/or popular.

You should start a beer appreciation thread over in "ENJOY"

Edit:  Too late - I see it's in CHATTER. 
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013, 05:44 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

You should start a beer appreciation thread over in "ENJOY"

Edit:  Too late - I see it's in CHATTER.
That's where the No Sober and Whisk(e)y threads are too so I figured it fit there. And feel free to join in, even if you haven't yet enjoyed the many wonders of craft beer. :-P

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Since this is no longer available on the web, or in the tumblr, i'm just gonna post it here in case someone wants to save it or something  :angel: :

{image}
 Entitled "RobotFightPanel".

Seeya.-

Wait, come back! Is there an archive of these hidden ones? (One that doesn't give me a 403 error)?
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Somehow I don't see the beer and whisk(e)y threads quite fitting in with the rest of the enjoy category.

An archive of odd comics?  I'm not aware of one, though I haven't checked in the wiki; there are links to a number just scattered around, and probably impossible to find conveniently.  There aren't many, anyway - and the most interesting are probably ones that were changed after first publication (like the fireworks one in which Sweet Tits and Yelling Bird changed places).

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Somehow I don't see the beer and whisk(e)y threads quite fitting in with the rest of the enjoy category.
That's why they're in chatter :-P

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Well, it certainly makes any comments on the vanished strip pretty incomprehensible.

It might be a cliché, but the greens are best for Claire. The slinky pinky is terrible.
I wonder how that would look in black though... nah, her colouring's wrong for it.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I wonder how that would look in black though... nah, her colouring's wrong for it.

Doesn't look like a flattering fit for her, either. She isn't exactly curvy, and a dress like that sort of demands some curves. Still, it's the colour that really kills it.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013, 06:37 by Lubricus »
What do you know about Pokémon?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Just my two cents: #3 is something she might wear to work at the library, but not to a wedding. #4 is the wrong color for her, but if it was black I think it would look great. Slinky black dresses are hard to beat. #7 is probably her best bet for the wedding (which is obviously why she chose it.) #8... Well, let's just say I'm not partial to grown women in frilly princess dresses and leave it at that.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up