THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 14:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which version did you like best?

Even though he TOOK THE BEST YEARS of MY LIFE and THREW IT ALL AWAY.
- 13 (13.1%)
(Throw in something about being an amazing lover)
- 9 (9.1%)
Love can be a complicated thing.
- 1 (1%)
There was bitterness. Recrinimiation. Pain. But love was still there.
- 10 (10.1%)
Sorry for going off-script.
- 4 (4%)
Does he still get to flip the table?
- 25 (25.3%)
I'm waiting for Marten's speech.
- 5 (5.1%)
Claire REALLY has to wonder about Marten's parents.
- 13 (13.1%)
ALL the FEELS!
- 19 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2401-2405 (11-15 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79467 times)

xAmilli0n

• Not quite a lurker

I'd totally be happy if they're just close in a brother/sister kind of way as I'd be really sad if a relationship got started but ended up not working out and they became more distant.

This is kind of how I feel.  As much as I would love for their relationship to grow closer, I would hate for them to fall apart because it didn't work out.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

A point I'd like to raise: Claire may very well find Marten attractive, but that doesn't necessarily means she's interested in him romantically. It's possible that she believes that she's not ready for a romantic relationship. It's possible that she views Marten more as a close friend than as a potential romantic partner. It's possible that she doesn't think it's advisable to get involved with someone she works with. Shoot, given her reaction to Henry, it's even possible that she prefers older men and considers Marten to be too young. (Though if that's the case, my advice to her would be that it's a problem that will solve itself with time.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

teclo

• Not quite a lurker

My bet, there's spooning involved and Claire is the big spoon! :)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

My bet, there's spooning involved and Claire is the big spoon! :)

She is smaller than Marten. Small people don't get to be big spoons. They get to be jetpacks  :-D

*hide-and-cover*
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I think Jeph is definitely enjoying himself.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference

I really hope Jeph neither takes the Faye route or the Dora route with Claire. Or worse, the Padma route.
(I hope I don't have to explain further)
Don't get me wrong. I like Padma, but she was a flake. Just bounced on Marten with no warning.

However, I knew Claire was something special from the start. Almost dethrones Hannelore as my favorite QC character (who admittedly hasn't been doing much lately).

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

My bet: any suggestiveness/awkwardness is entirely in other people's heads, not Marten and Claire's, and the next strip is a blurgh-I'm-so-hung-over one with references to Claire's new relationship with scotch. 

They do have one heck of a hangover coming--think how drunk they must be to pass out in the middle of a conversation, on top of the bedspread, and Marten still in his dress shirt. 

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Screw the shipping troll, I wanna know what the fuck Marten did with a horse.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

Marten and Claire strikes me as the sort of relationship that would work out great in real life, but not so good for storytelling drama. They both mesh together personality-wise (but with enough minor conflict to not get boring or door-matty) to the point where I could see them getting married and growing old together, but if that's not going to happen in the comic I'd rather see them just be BFFs.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I don't think that was blacking out from drunkenness, I think that was passing out from exhaustion.

Black out, not pass out.  As in not being sure what happened the previous night.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

OH COME ON JEPH

GAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Worry Hat, Engage!

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

Oh Jeph. You just had to leave it at that *sigh* I think those two make great friends, I could even see them as a couple easily, all things considered. But now I'm all like "omgomgomgomg where's it going???" Always leaving the cliffhangers on the week's end, blah. Damn you for being such a king of trolls Jeph, and making it look good while you're at it! :?

And those damn scotch Savants. I still look like Claire  on her first go around every time I drink good scotch..

Whaaaaat happened on the horse??? MUST know!

...mew.
"So...cute..."

westrim

Screw the shipping troll, I wanna know what the fuck Marten did with a horse.
Marten didn't do anything with a horse, the 'you' does not refer to him.

It was likely his mom. :evil:

My bet: any suggestiveness/awkwardness is entirely in other people's heads, not Marten and Claire's, and the next strip is a blurgh-I'm-so-hung-over one with references to Claire's new relationship with scotch. 

They do have one heck of a hangover coming--think how drunk they must be to pass out in the middle of a conversation, on top of the bedspread, and Marten still in his dress shirt.
Aside from the bubbles, they're speaking clearly and grammatically. They're just tired from all the shenanigans they recounted.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 16:57 by Westrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's a pity Marten's an only child. He seems like a great big brother.

If Claire is putting relationship-hunting on hold during transition, wouldn't that be a common pattern?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

I don't see how this is trolling -- I've had a couple evenings end this way. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Don't get me wrong. I like Padma, but she was a flake. Just bounced on Marten with no warning.
I think he had plenty of warning, I just don't think he realized his last chance to hang out with her was actually his last chance to hang out with her until it was too late to possibly make it not so.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

[CharltonHestonVoice] Damn you Jeph Jacques, damn you straight to hell!!!! [/CharltonHestonVoice]

Best Cliffhanger ever!

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

No no no.  If we're shipping ridiculousness.  Pintsize gets a humanoid chasis like Momo and gets into a three-way relationship with Momo and Winslow.  Only, it's an M&S and Momo is the master.  Obviously.  :psyduck:
Oh no! No, no, no, no, NO! The very last thing I want to see in the pages of QC is someone who looks like Momo's current chassis in S&M garb.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

If Claire is putting relationship-hunting on hold during transition, wouldn't that be a common pattern?
I don't know for certain, but I don't think it's all that common. Where transition "ends" varies from person to person, and it can take many years and many thousands of dollars. Lots of people don't want to go without romance for so long.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

You know that stunt where Eval Kneival rides a motorcycle over a dozen flaming schoolbuses? It was like that, only gay.
*Ba-dum psshh*

The horse was not harmed, as it's Veronica's horse anyway, and she needed him for work afterward. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

Aside from the bubbles, they're speaking clearly and grammatically. They're just tired from all the shenanigans they recounted.

Logged in to agree with this - we've seen LOTS of examples of "blackout drunk" over the comic's run, and I really don't feel like this is one of them.  They're buzzed, but pretty far from plowed, and I think nodding off on the bed while chatting like that feels pretty natural.  The wedding and reception appears to have been an all-day affair, since we saw it start with breakfast and now it's bedtime; I expect they're both exhausted.  Also, I'd hazard that while getting plastered before or after happens plenty of times, getting that drunk at the actual reception is a lot less common, and I expect Marten and Claire are adult enough to pace themselves for the occasion.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

getting that drunk at the actual reception is a lot less common
Wait, really? At all the weddings I've been to, the reception (which started right after the ceremony) is when the drinking started.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

No no no.  If we're shipping ridiculousness.  Pintsize gets a humanoid chasis like Momo and gets into a three-way relationship with Momo and Winslow.  Only, it's an M&S and Momo is the master.  Obviously.  :psyduck:
Oh no! No, no, no, no, NO! The very last thing I want to see in the pages of QC is someone who looks like Momo's current chassis in S&M garb.

Great, now I have the image of Veronica Vance having some Momo-esque AnthroPC gimp locked up in her dungeon.

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship

ONOES, CLAIRE FELL ASLEEP IN HER CONTACTS!!!

Oh, wait, she must have taken them off in the bathroom. Nevermind. :roll:
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You know that stunt where Eval Kneival rides a motorcycle over a dozen flaming schoolbuses? It was like that, only gay.
*Ba-dum psshh*

The horse was not harmed, as it's Veronica's horse anyway, and she needed him for work afterward. :mrgreen:

It's an EquestroPC, and half the stunts were its idea anyway.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

it would have been funnier to have not had the last panel, and let the forums explode in speculation.

The forums contain a tiny, tiny part only of the QC fanbase - a joke directed at them would be wasted effort.

Yeah, but did the rest of his fanbase do THIS?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

As far as fanbases go, we are canon. The rest are fan-based. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Great, now I have the image of Veronica Vance having some Momo-esque AnthroPC gimp locked up in her dungeon.

Nice callback
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

As far as fanbases go, we are canon. The rest are fan-based. :mrgreen:
Man, I still regret not being a part of that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

*Ba-dum psshh*

It's an EquestroPC, and half the stunts were its idea anyway.
*slow clap*

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

All of which lends new meaning to "...and the horse you rode in on"
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

getting that drunk at the actual reception is a lot less common
Wait, really? At all the weddings I've been to, the reception (which started right after the ceremony) is when the drinking started.

Oh, most definitely!  I'm Catholic, I go to like four or five weddings a year and am in at least one of them; every single one has multiple kegs and a wine bar (sometimes the hard stuff, too) - we party at our receptions!  However, there's a difference between celebrating with other adults and tasty beverages and getting blackout drunk, which is what several people believe Marten and Claire did.  I'm personally of the opinion that it's in poor taste to get totally smashed at a wedding reception - it's just not the same kind of venue as a bar.  But that's me personally. 

Keep in mind that this is from a guy who (as the best man) has danced with the groom with a beer mug in one hand (everyone thought it was hilarious).  I also make it a point to carry a flask of good whiskey in my inner jacket pocket and encourage the groom and all other groomsmen to take a small swig before the ceremony as a gesture of solidarity and for good luck (and to take the edge off a nervous groom).

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

It was nice to end this week's worth of strips with such an obscene amount of cuteness. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I wonder what'll happen when they both wake up in the same bed or if Jeph will choose to avoid that scene altogether.

On another note, with me being new in this forum... How do we address our omnipresent creator? Jeph? Mr. Jacques? Hephzibah?

edit: Wow, I have no idea how Jephmaster got autocorrected to Hephzibah.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

"His Eminence" is the proper form of address I believe...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This came up once a long time ago. Jeph said that "Jeph" was reasonable given that it's his username here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

I wonder what'll happen when they both wake up in the same bed or if Jeph will choose to avoid that scene altogether.

On another note, with me being new in this forum... How do we address our omnipresent creator? Jeph? Mr. Jacques? Hephzibah?

edit: Wow, I have no idea how Jephmaster got autocorrected to Hephzibah.
What browser has autocorrect?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Nice callback

I said Momo, not Pintsize. But goddamn, a certain function would be up Vance's way.....

Firefox.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Well, if we are going to be nitpicky, Firefox has an auto-"you might have done this wrong"-curly-underline. It doesn't correct your text automatically.

westrim

Well, if we are going to be nitpicky, Firefox has an auto-"you might have done this wrong"-curly-underline. It doesn't correct your text automatically.
Yes, it has spell check that lets you know there might be a problem. It doesn't have autocorrect that changes it for you.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

However, I knew Claire was something special from the start. Almost dethrones Hannelore as my favorite QC character (who admittedly hasn't been doing much lately).

Why do people like Claire so much? She is so petty and mean. One of the least likeable characters in the comic. The least likeable, I think.

I can not find the strip I am thinking of. For some reason the search engine finds nothing when I search for "necrosis" or "firework accident". But it is the one where she sees that Clinton is about to enjoy  a moment in the spotlight, and she rushes in to ruin it. She nows how much is wexes him, and that is just why she does it.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

He might be forum-ing on a phone/tablet? Just a thought, as both of those tend to autocorrect even in browsers.

Also on the Claire/Marten thing, even though I think they would be *ohmygosh soooo cute* as a couple, I kinda hope they don't get together. I think they'd make for a great best friend duo, that would still lend itself to a lot of cute moments without being relationship-y. It would just suck to see it end in a pile of drama, and I'm not getting the 'ready to settle down with one person' vibe from Marten or the comic, so it would inevitably end. Probably.

On another note, since I read through ALL the comics last week, this is the first weekend I've had to sit through waiting for a comic, and it is torture.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

But it is the one where she sees that Clinton is about to enjoy  a moment in the spotlight, and she rushes in to ruin it.

That might just be a sibling thing though. There might be a lot of tension in their relationship that we don't know about, even though we did see a sweet brother moment when she came out to Marten. I can't remember which one of them is younger, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if she's youngest she might be used to him getting the spotlight, which could cause her to want to steal it from him. I certainly remember having a lot of moments like that with my brother, but it doesn't mean either of us are petty or mean.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

She's 24, Clinton is 21, IIRC.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Okay, I thought people were joking about the autocorrect thing. I assume the forum has some filtering built in, as do most. It is commonly set up for purposes of filtering swearing or spam, but also frquently used for humorous purposes .

westrim

Why do people like Claire so much? She is so petty and mean. One of the least likeable characters in the comic. The least likeable, I think.

I can not find the strip I am thinking of. For some reason the search engine finds nothing when I search for "necrosis" or "firework accident". But it is the one where she sees that Clinton is about to enjoy a moment in the spotlight, and she rushes in to ruin it. She knows how much it vexes him, and that is just why she does it.
Here it is. It only happened because Jeph wanted to do a comic about jacking off, apparently; regardless, she did it to be humorous. She just isn't very socially adept, and is rather prickly and defensive, but that's part of her charm. I think interest really picked up after The Reveal (transsexual edition) and she softened to Marten and stopped being prickly to him specifically.

Plus, they're siblings. They do that kind of thing.

On another note, since I read through ALL the comics last week, this is the first weekend I've had to sit through waiting for a comic, and it is torture.
I remember when I did that, though when I caught up Hannelore was in a thought spot fugue, so nothing plot relevant was going on.

Okay, I thought people were joking about the autocorrect thing. I assume the forum has some filtering built in, as do most. It is commonly set up for purposes of filtering swearing or spam, but also frequently used for humorous purposes .
This is a test: Jephmaster.

Nope, not in this case.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 03:25 by Westrim »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I believe in some browsers, Mac OS X will autocorrect, as well.

(I turned system-wide autocorrect off as the first thing I did, when I got this Mac.)

westrim

I believe in some browsers, Mac OS X will autocorrect, as well.

(I turned system-wide autocorrect off as the first thing I did, when I got this Mac.)
Must resist... prickly comments... about Apple...
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 03:30 by Westrim »

Loki

• comeback tour!

I can not find the strip I am thinking of. For some reason the search engine finds nothing when I search for "necrosis" or "firework accident". But it is the one where she sees that Clinton is about to enjoy a moment in the spotlight, and she rushes in to ruin it. She knows how much it vexes him, and that is just why she does it.
Here it is. It only happened because Jeph wanted to do a comic about jacking off, apparently; regardless, she did it to be humorous. She just isn't very socially adept, and is rather prickly and defensive, but that's part of her charm. I think interest really picked up after The Reveal (transsexual edition) and she softened to Marten and stopped being prickly to him specifically.

Plus, they're siblings. They do that kind of thing.

Also relevant.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I assume the forum has some filtering built in, as do most. It is commonly set up for purposes of filtering swearing or spam, but also frequently used for humorous purposes.

There were some such when I became admin, but the only word filter I have left in place is on the name of a file-sharing site used in the BAND section.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up