THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which version did you like best?

Even though he TOOK THE BEST YEARS of MY LIFE and THREW IT ALL AWAY.
- 13 (13.1%)
(Throw in something about being an amazing lover)
- 9 (9.1%)
Love can be a complicated thing.
- 1 (1%)
There was bitterness. Recrinimiation. Pain. But love was still there.
- 10 (10.1%)
Sorry for going off-script.
- 4 (4%)
Does he still get to flip the table?
- 25 (25.3%)
I'm waiting for Marten's speech.
- 5 (5.1%)
Claire REALLY has to wonder about Marten's parents.
- 13 (13.1%)
ALL the FEELS!
- 19 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2401-2405 (11-15 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79835 times)

westrim

I assume the forum has some filtering built in, as do most. It is commonly set up for purposes of filtering swearing or spam, but also frequently used for humorous purposes.

There were some such when I became admin, but the only word filter I have left in place is on the name of a file-sharing site used in the BAND section.
I thought I had something to say to that, but then I started squeeing over glowy Ayato Kamina from the penultimate episode of RahXephon, which reloaded into Naota from the manga version of FLCL. I've noticed Naota before, but haven't really looked at it otherwise. How many images does your profile image have, and how did you set that up?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

My guess is that he's using a PHP (or some such language) script containing something like
Code: (PHP) [Select]
<?php

//Tell the browser (or other HTTP-receiving application) to expect a PNG image
header('Content-Type: image/png');

//Create a folder handler
$folder opendir("path/to/images");

//Get all the filenames, plus an empty entry in the array because of the way I've written this
while($images[] = readdir()){}

//Remove the empty entry
array_pop($images);

//Get a random file name from that folder
$filename =  $images[array_rand($images)];

//Inters the contents of the image intoto the data to be returned
echo file_get_contents("path/to/images/" $filename);

//Stop execution
exit;
?>

I haven't tested this, so there's probably a bug or six, but it's how I'd do it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

My guess is that he's using a PHP (or some such language) script containing something like
<?php
[...]
//Get all the filenames, plus an empty entry in the array because of the way I've written this
while($images[] = readdir()){}
[...]
?>

Is that construct really valid? I wouldn't have expected it to work in the way intended. I mean, I get what you are trying to do; still looks weird to me to fill an array like this. Maybe because you forgot to pass the $folder handle to readdir  :wink:
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

If you don't specify a handle, readdir() will use the last one opened.

I'm pretty sure that construct is valid. I know that using
<?php
while($dataset[] = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_resource)){}
?>

works, so it should work here too.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

I know Jeph was worried about getting a transgender character right, but in the last comic when Marten and Claire are looking into each others eyes, my first thought was "Despite the trolling, if these two ever got together the potential children would have pretty eyes no matter what- oh. right. I forgot. I am an idiot."  That's a win for Jeph I think, being able to make me forget a character's origin and look at how they are now. From the very few trans friends I have that seems like the goal and the entire point.  Well done, JJ.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I thought I had something to say to that, but then I started squeeing over glowy Ayato Kamina from the penultimate episode of RahXephon, which reloaded into Naota from the manga version of FLCL. I've noticed Naota before, but haven't really looked at it otherwise. How many images does your profile image have, and how did you set that up?

About 250 images, chosen from randomly by a rewrite function in Apache - see here.

(Actually, since then I've made it a two-stage lookup, to get over a bug when the lines in the file listing the images get too long - it still fits in two lines, though.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Didn't know I would spark such a mystery. I'm surfing on my phone, a Lumia 920. I was just a bit weirded out, since this is the first time I've had an autocorrect mistake.
What's a Hephzibah?
And I'll call him Jeph then.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

Didn't know I would spark such a mystery. I'm surfing on my phone, a Lumia 920. I was just a bit weirded out, since this is the first time I've had an autocorrect mistake.
What's a Hephzibah?
And I'll call him Jeph then.

Aha, called it! I surf reddit on my phone a lot and it always autocorrects me and drives me crazy. Also, Google says a Hephzibah is a city in Georgia, and also a name meaning  "my delight is in her" in Hebrew.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I shall refer to him as Jephzibah from now on, then.

Floorman

• Not quite a lurker
  • Gliding through the minefield...

Hepzibah is also a minor character in the Marvel comics universe, usually in the X-Men books. She's a humanoid skunk woman space pirate.

Edit: Didn't notice the extra "h" in there.  Wikipedia still took me to a page that mentioned the previous definitions though.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

and also a name meaning  "my delight is in her" in Hebrew.
So your nickname for it is "delight"?  :parrot:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I wouldn't refer to Jeph as "it" but you still made me crackle with laughter.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

If Claire is putting relationship-hunting on hold during transition, wouldn't that be a common pattern?
+1 Insightful
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

That's a win for Jeph I think, being able to make me forget a character's origin and look at how they are now. From the very few trans friends I have that seems like the goal and the entire point.  Well done, JJ.
Yes. Yes to all. Jeph could not have done it better.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

There is one hurdle though.

The logic of Narrative Necessity.

Would QC be QC if Marten got into a stable "and they all lived happily ever after" situation? Would QC be able to carry on with its emotional dramas if the main character essentially bowed out from the emotional melodrama? I think it would, but it would be a catastrophic (as in sudden discontinuity) change of direction.

I would like to see Marten actually win first prize, after all the poor guy's been through over the years. For that matter, I'd like to see all the characters eventually win big. Hanners healed, Marigold out of her shell... but unless new characters are introduced, that would be the end of QC.

Some Soap Operas manage it. The departure of Ena Sharples did not mean the death of "Coronation Street" though it was never the same again.

BTW one of the few series older than "Dr Who"...

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

About 250 images, chosen from randomly by a rewrite function in Apache - see here.

(Actually, since then I've made it a two-stage lookup, to get over a bug when the lines in the file listing the images get too long - it still fits in two lines, though.)

I am more concerned about the "coprophage". Is that for shock effect, or is there a deeper meaning?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

It's a post count-based title. Anyone with 7000-7999 posts has it. 8000-9999 is "Mayan calendar conspirator" and 10000+ is "DICKFISH". There may or may not be higher levels, I'm not sure.

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

There is one hurdle though.

The logic of Narrative Necessity.

Would QC be QC if Marten got into a stable "and they all lived happily ever after" situation? Would QC be able to carry on with its emotional dramas if the main character essentially bowed out from the emotional melodrama? I think it would, but it would be a catastrophic (as in sudden discontinuity) change of direction.

I would like to see Marten actually win first prize, after all the poor guy's been through over the years. For that matter, I'd like to see all the characters eventually win big. Hanners healed, Marigold out of her shell... but unless new characters are introduced, that would be the end of QC.

Some Soap Operas manage it. The departure of Ena Sharples did not mean the death of "Coronation Street" though it was never the same again.

BTW one of the few series older than "Dr Who"...

This has happened once before with Dora.  To show the passage of time we see her try to grow her hair out without dying it.  So we skipped about a year of Martens's life to see the "juicy parts."  It was the same for Wil and his American Tour but he and Penelope fell off the earth after their happy ending.

We may see the end of QC but I think Jeph has a lot of story still to tell and I can't see him starting a new project.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's a post count-based title. Anyone with 7000-7999 posts has it. 8000-9999 is "Mayan calendar conspirator" and 10000+ is "DICKFISH". There may or may not be higher levels, I'm not sure.
If I were admin, I'd make anyone with 1,000,000 posts "Jeph", but have it hidden so nobody knew until they reached it (which I'm pretty sure would never happen).
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce

Hepzibah is also a minor character in the Marvel comics universe, usually in the X-Men books. She's a humanoid skunk woman space pirate.

If I recall correctly, that is not her name, and she's quite insistent about it. Corsair calls (called? It's been a long time) her that, because of her resemblance to Mam'selle Hepzibah, who was Pogo's lady friend in (of course) "Pogo".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The post count titles were in place before I was admin. I've changed just three or four. Coprophage is not one I thought up.  Dickfish is the top level; they are all listed in the wiki, which I think has them up to date.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Epic trolling. I love it!

Troll on Mr Jacques, troll on... :-D

Still doesn't change the fact I think they make out far better as great friends.  Let's face it, it would appear Marten is the first outside source she's told about her past.  I think it's better for them both to have a strong relationship on a purely platonic basis than screwing everything up with romance...

The only thing I'd say is Claire is Faye without any sexual tension or romantic attraction.

I agree. They're comfortable together because they don't have that sexual tension - we've seen how awkward Claire gets around guys she finds attractive. I also agree with whoever said they were getting a Hanners and Sven vibe from this comic - it reminded me of that too.

jesslc

• Furry furrier

My prediction: (probably wrong)

Marten wakes up to find they are sort of snuggling together. While he's still half asleep - "whuh? buh? what?" - Claire talks in her sleep something about Henry (or possibly Steve) "Oh Henry you so fine... you so fine you blow my mind..."

Not those exact words obviously.

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

The outcome would depend on exactly how well Jephzibah could write it. I have faith in his abilities, and based on his previous track record, I'd have to say he could probably write whatever he pleased and make it still just as amazing/loveable/funny as always. I personally agree that it would be nice if the main cast could all have resolutions to their respective issues.. but then, as you noted, I do believe it would drastically change the general feel of the comic.

Also, in most situations, even with the best possible match for a person (character..) relationship wise, there could/would be some type of drama still involved, I'm sure. I'm not personally aware of any couple that's absolutely "perfect" in that there's absolutely no disagreement and both are perfectly content with everything.. although my experience is limited to just that: my experience. This in and of itself, regardless of whom Martin eventually pairs with, could still lead to hilarity, sadness, both, or anything in between.

As for the other characters, I love their quirks, and I think that even if they were able to work out those issues to a more level mental/emotional balance, those quirks would still be present in at least a diminished fashion of some sort (And, at this point in comic time, I do believe that is somewhat the case).

I thought Dora and Martin were just the most cutest and fitting couple, and then alla sudden, explosions of nuclear proportion mixed with tears and yelling "WHY JEPH WHY!?!?!". But thaaaat's QC for ya!

Quote from: Jeph
I am trolling you guys pretty hard
-hugs the troll-
"So...cute..."

westrim

I see, thanks. I may never try it, but the process is interesting.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

If Marten were ever to get into a stable, long term 'Happy Ever After' relationship, the entire QC Universe would collapse in a puff of unsmoke.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

If Marten were ever to get into a stable, long term 'Happy Ever After' relationship, the entire QC Universe would collapse in a puff of unsmoke.
It's like his relationship with Dora never happened.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I just gotta say; sleepy-time Claire is adorable. Like a lil' fluffy kitten.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Quote from: Hitch-hiker's guide to Northampton
Some say if Marten's love life ever reached a positive resolution, it would instantly vanish and be replaced by something even more inexplicable. Others say this has already happened.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Congrats, Jeph...this is the first time since joining the forum that I have been motivated enough to change my avatar. :parrot:

Shipping? No, I'm just...uh...kayaking. Yeah, that's it. :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's like his relationship with Dora never happened.
Ha, yeah, Marten's relationship with Dora was pretty solid at most points, and lasted about half of the entire run (including the strips since) and probably about two years in comic. Just because Marten might start another relationship doesn't mean that'll end the comic, or for that matter, that his next relationship will be his last one.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Jeph equated stable relationship for Marten & Faye = end of QC.

So, if he wanted Marten to have a stable relationship, Faye & Angus would have to disappear.

HOWEVER, he has also said Marten will likely never have a stable LTR, so there's that.

He's still trolling us, though.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What Jeph says is either irrelevant or a spoiler in this case...and I'd like to think that he wouldn't spoil.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

He also said he would never do a wedding arc  :-P .

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

When he says he'll never do something, he means he'll never do it until he does.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I just want to see Marten happy. He seems to be with Claire, but if Marten found someone else he could be happy with, I'd be just as glad. I kinda get the feeling he isn't as happy as he used to be, because the rings under his eyes that appeared after Dora broke up with him have never truly went away.
Why does Jephzibah not like seeing his characters happy.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

Re: everyone getting their issue "fixed" thus ending QC: I don't see that happening, ever. That's one of the awesome/terrible thing about people and their issues; you never really get "fixed". Hanners' OCD is never going away, Faye is always going to have attachment issues. People can grow and change and put their pasts behind them, but those things are always going to be part of who they are. I don't think Jeph is going to run out of comics to write for a long time.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

People can grow and change and put their pasts behind them, but those things are always going to be part of who they are.
That'll do.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I just want to see Marten happy. He seems to be with Claire, but if Marten found someone else he could be happy with, I'd be just as glad. I kinda get the feeling he isn't as happy as he used to be, because the rings under his eyes that appeared after Dora broke up with him have never truly went away.
Why does Jephzibah not like seeing his characters happy.

You need to acquaint yourself with the Jephzibah's tumblr: jephjacques.com.
Just another Joe like 46

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, so what if QC changes due to characters changing (or even becoming uninteresting, being put on a bus, and being replaced by more interesting characters)?

In the beginning, QC was a gag-a-day, with occasional plot leaking in, but nothing serious.

Now, QC is almost entirely plot-driven, with the occasional gag leaking in.

And, characters that became uninteresting (Sara is the first to come to mind) have been put on a bus - hell, that was in the gag-a-day days - and been replaced with other characters. And their replacements put on a bus, and replaced with other characters.

So, QC can survive characters getting into stable relationships.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Jeph still tries to stick a laugh in at the end of the strip, so it's not entirely gag-absent. I mean, the most touching moment in recent memory had the punchline: "YEAH! HUG THE #### OUT OF 'IM!"
Just another Joe like 46

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Right, but just because many strips have punchlines doesn't mean that the whole point of the strip is to present the punchline - the point seems to be to advance the plot, and here's a punchline for the lulz.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Actually, when it first started, it was only two or three gags a week, not a gag a day. 

Until Jeph quit his job as an office bitch...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

When he says he'll never do something, he means he'll never do it until he does.
Yeah, I seem to remember him saying in the newspost for this one (very early on) strip that he was never gonna get more risque than it did there. And it was barely risque at all. I found that and posted about it, but I'm too lazy to dig through my posts and find out which one. :P

The point is that Jeph says that a lot. He is constantly breaking down his own boundaries and making new ones. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And I don't think that Jeph's even said that he wouldn't do a Marten/Claire relationship. (Just that Marten would never be happy, and that was clearly in jest.)

Mind you, he's (in jest) tweeted in horror that he's married to a shipper. (Apparently Cristi ships Marten and Claire.)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

... He is constantly breaking down his own boundaries and making new ones ...

One of the underlying admirable qualities of this strip, I think.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I know Jeph was worried about getting a transgender character right, but in the last comic when Marten and Claire are looking into each others eyes, my first thought was "Despite the trolling, if these two ever got together the potential children would have pretty eyes no matter what- oh. right. I forgot. I am an idiot."  That's a win for Jeph I think, being able to make me forget a character's origin and look at how they are now. From the very few trans friends I have that seems like the goal and the entire point.  Well done, JJ.

I feel like it may be a mistake to rule that out.

relevant-ish

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Good call, mtmerrick.

Not that I expect to see a pregnancy arc for another decade or so.  Of all the boundaries Jeph has set for himself, that one strikes me as the durable one.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

...Durex-ble?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I feel like it may be a mistake to rule that out.

relevant-ish

We are working on the technology, too.

It's easier with two females - there we have natural examples. Not many, but there are some Intersex women who have, with technical help, become biological fathers. The female reproductive system is really complex, but the male one can be 95% missing or dysfunctional and still allow the possibility.

It does cause my son some social difficulties though. He often refers to me as his aunt, not his father, except to those he trusts.

In a post-singularity world... yes, it may be possible sooner than the 2025 deadline I think we'll have here.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up