THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which version did you like best?

Even though he TOOK THE BEST YEARS of MY LIFE and THREW IT ALL AWAY.
- 13 (13.1%)
(Throw in something about being an amazing lover)
- 9 (9.1%)
Love can be a complicated thing.
- 1 (1%)
There was bitterness. Recrinimiation. Pain. But love was still there.
- 10 (10.1%)
Sorry for going off-script.
- 4 (4%)
Does he still get to flip the table?
- 25 (25.3%)
I'm waiting for Marten's speech.
- 5 (5.1%)
Claire REALLY has to wonder about Marten's parents.
- 13 (13.1%)
ALL the FEELS!
- 19 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2401-2405 (11-15 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 78455 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yesterday I found out that one of the characters of my favourite childhood anime (a 7 year old girl) is, canonically, born 1989. That makes her older than me. And the anime is still running. And she is still 7.
Psh, that's nothing. Bart Simpson was born in 1979...and he's still 10. Hell, even Maggie's a year older, and she's still one!

And of course, awwwww to the comic  :)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Dang.  Some of you people are YOUNG.    :-D

I'm going to sit over here and slowly wrinkle....

You, myself and Paul can just stand over here and sip our drinks, watch the youngsters make fools of themselves the way we used to, and remind them to stay the hell off our lawns.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Feels for reals!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

On a more serious note, I really liked Veronica here. It redeemed her a bit in my eyes from the whole "Marten Tiberius Reed! Apologize to your friends!" ordeal.

Yeah...though in some ways it only shows that she isn't a total bitch to everyone, just her son when he was at a low point. This does rehabilitate her, but the aforementioned incident still sticks in my craw.

Did neither of you ever get tough love or something? Were I behaving a quarter as bad as Marten was in that strip, my mother would have euthanized me.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Yesterday I found out that one of the characters of my favourite childhood anime (a 7 year old girl) is, canonically, born 1989. That makes her older than me. And the anime is still running. And she is still 7.

You think you've got problems, imagine how everyone else feels reading someone born the 90s having a "that makes me feel old" moment.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

On a more serious note, I really liked Veronica here. It redeemed her a bit in my eyes from the whole "Marten Tiberius Reed! Apologize to your friends!" ordeal.

Yeah...though in some ways it only shows that she isn't a total bitch to everyone, just her son when he was at a low point. This does rehabilitate her, but the aforementioned incident still sticks in my craw.

Did neither of you ever get tough love or something? Were I behaving a quarter as bad as Marten was in that strip, my mother would have euthanized me.
How could that be interpreted as Marten behaving bad? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What are YOU looking forward to seeing at this reception?

More of that German DJ!    5 (10%)
Seeing if Mom actually does find anyone at the reception.    9 (18%)
Someone known by (or actually IS) one of the rest of the cast shows up!    3 (6%)
More pics for Aunt Jen's "website"!    2 (4%)
Claire's awkward moments!    13 (26%)
Someone hits on Marten - and Marten has ZERO interest!    7 (14%)
New character introduction!    3 (6%)
JAWOQC (Just Another Week Of Questionable Content)    3 (6%)
Waffles!    0 (0%)
Spathe Ham!    1 (2%)
Screw the memes - is the new comic up yet? (F5) Is the new comic up yet? (F5)...    3 (6%)
WWE: Wedding Wrestling Entertainment!    1 (2%)
ALL THE FEELS!    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Mitigating circumstances aside, Marten's words and attitude immediately preceding were those of a petulant teen. Veronica, whatever her faults, was acting like someone who felt she was due a mother's respect.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2013, 08:17 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You, myself and Paul can just stand over here and sip our drinks, watch the youngsters make fools of themselves the way we used to, and remind them to stay the hell off our lawns.

Redball and I will join you.

I have to ask though - what is our age order here in the forums? October of 1967 here (and old enough to be some-o yo's daddies).

EDIT: Though I'm not old enough to be Jeph's daddy, thankfully.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

September 1940. 

And get off my lawn! 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

August '46 - but I'm too busy to stand around sipping drinks...  Gotta go, things to do, things to do (just walked dogs in a late lunch break, now back to the office for a meeting about the department websites which I'm taking over technical responsibility for).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

[...]which I'm taking over technical responsibility for

irresponsible adult

*FOREBODE FOREBODE FOREBODE*
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Youngin here. 90. But if it makes any of you relics feel better I'm blind as a bat... (till thursday any way) half deaf and my knees and lower legs are jacked up enough I'll probably be walking with a cane before the end of the year.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I should mention that you need to get off my lawn because the band is coming to play a concert there. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

August '87 over here.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

January of '66. Neither old nor young.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Youngin here. 90.

I'm choosing to read that as a literal age rather than a shortened 1990.  :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Mitigating circumstances aside, Marten's words and attitude immediately preceding were those of a petulant teen. Veronica, whatever her faults, was acting like someone who felt she was due a mother's respect.
Just because she felt that doesn't mean she was due it then. She was out of line and Marten had every right to object, and she was even further out of line for shutting him down.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Redball and I will join you.

I have to ask though - what is our age order here in the forums? October of 1967 here (and old enough to be some-o yo's daddies).

Count me in - March of '62.  I remember meeting some hippies driving up to Woodstock when I was a kid...

And I think this deserves its own thread somewhere.  Like maybe a "happy birthday" thread.  I'll be 51 in under 2 weeks. 

Kugai, I know you're the same year as me...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Tunnel snipping
Just because she felt that doesn't mean she was due it then. She was out of line and Marten had every right to object, and she was even further out of line for shutting him down.

Even the worst parents feel respect is owed.  Sometimes, the worse the parent is, the nmore they feel that way. 

Out of line or not, she's his mother.  And he's a "good boy", so he'll kowtow.  Family dynamics. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd say more often, actually. Wouldn't a good parent know that respect has to be earned?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened

After the most recent fight with my older daughter, I can safely say I wouldn't know. 

:cry:

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Tunnel snipping

Even the worst parents feel respect is owed.  Sometimes, the worse the parent is, the nmore they feel that way. 

Out of line or not, she's his mother.  And he's a "good boy", so he'll kowtow.  Family dynamics.
He's theoretically an adult. I said nothing about whether he should have objected; he had a right to. The manner of his objection was that of a petulant teen.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

If the older set comes over to my yard, there will be chairs.

A woman I'd like to see more of in Michigan was born two weeks after I graduated from high school. She'll be 58 this summer. Dammit.

And no women on the forum past what? 50 or so? Any guesses might merit a thread over in chatter.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

EDIT: Though I'm not old enough to be Jeph's daddy, thankfully.

November 1959
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

jesslc

• Furry furrier

March 1984

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Ms. Reed is _so_ lucky Faye wasn't around when she went off on Marten. The Intimidation Field might not have protected her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The Intimidation Field might work, even on the Peach. But you're right; a direct attack on Faye might be less of a trigger than an attack, real or perceived, on her Indieboy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Oh so very much...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

Tunnel snipping

He's theoretically an adult. I said nothing about whether he should have objected; he had a right to. The manner of his objection was that of a petulant teen.

Of course, what right did he have to stand up to her? He should have just let her keep rolling over him. His mother KNEW he was at a low point. He didn't ask her to come, she insisted. She then spent almost all her time there insulting and embarassing him, but decided to sneak off to hug and comfort Dora. The only petulant one would be her, Marten finally told her enough was enough and she decided to smack him down publically, and honestly Marten also should have called out his so called friends for not saying anything during that.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

^This

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Maybe something to the effect of, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize motherhood not only endowed you with the power to publicly emasculate me as much as you like but also affords you diplomatic immunity as a shield against any subsequent fallout. I'll just run any future social visits you have planned by my lawyer first to make sure I won't be overstepping my bounds when I don't feel like taking your shit again."

...nah, went too far into the rights allegory.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

And no women on the forum past what? 50 or so? Any guesses might merit a thread over in chatter.

I only know Zoe is since it's been brought up elsewhere. :-)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Of course, what right did he have to stand up to her? He should have just let her keep rolling over him.
(moderator here: I changed a broken quote tag and will fix it again if I got it wrong)
No, that's exactly the opposite of what I said.
I said Marten had a right to stand up to her. The tone of his response -- the eyeroll, the "let's lock you in your hotel room before you can embarass me further ..." -- those are the words and manner of someone not yet an adult, no matter what the calendar says. You have this conversation in private, maybe even beforehand if you have the forethought to anticipate it (he had fair warning if from nothing more than VV showing up despite his objections) even if only to avoid a public backfire. As someone said upthread, respect is earned.
Responses such as those suggested only cement the idea you can still be addressed as a pre-adult.

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2013, 17:01 by Is it cold in here? »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Damn!

I was looking forward to the Tables, Ladders and Chairs match     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You have this conversation in private, maybe even beforehand if you have the forethought to anticipate it (he had fair warning if from nothing more than VV showing up despite his objections) even if only to avoid a public backfire.
Veronica left lunch with Marten and his friends to go talk to Dora, which is what he was reacting to when he found out, IIRC. Also, he has no way of knowing this, but it's kind of annoying that she bent over backwards to try and make Dora felt comfortable with the whole conversation, but she didn't extend that courtesy to her own son. Yes, Marten could have responded more maturely, but she shouldn't have put him in the position where he had to respond at all.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened

Her level of understanding, despite what her intentions may have been, was minimal at best. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think she may have realized, after the fact, that she'd screwed up in dealing with Marten. Then again, it seems that is her strong suit: hindsight.

(Enter Goatse joke here.)
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

My hovercraft is full of feels!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Quote from: MartenMom
I think we can all agree that marriage is about love.

Someone's never read Tolstoy.

Quote from: War & Peace
Never, never marry, my friend. Here’s my advice to you: don’t marry until you can tell yourself that you’ve done all you could, and until you’ve stopped loving the woman you’ve chosen, until you see her clearly, otherwise you’ll be cruelly and irremediably mistaken. Marry when you’re old and good for nothing…Otherwise all that’s good and lofty in you will be lost.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

My Lovercraft is full of.. OH GODS WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

Someone's never read Tolstoy.

Quote from: War & Peace
Never, never marry, my friend. Here’s my advice to you: don’t marry until you can tell yourself that you’ve done all you could, and until you’ve stopped loving the woman you’ve chosen, until you see her clearly, otherwise you’ll be cruelly and irremediably mistaken. Marry when you’re old and good for nothing…Otherwise all that’s good and lofty in you will be lost.

Reminds me of the Iliad: "Ah, to have never married; and childless died!".
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2013, 19:32 by Valdís »

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

+1 would pun again

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Well, that was quite the speech. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Good job speech. Good Marten. Yes. Thanks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Marten DID ask to make an embarrassing speech at the reception, he just didn't say who would be embarrassed. :p

Epic

• Not quite a lurker

Best Claire expression.
(click to show/hide)

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

1) I have given speeches like that before.  Public speaking on about ten seconds' notice just does NOT work with some people.
2) Claire is definitely growing as a character.  Over the course of this weekend, she has shared a room with Marten, met and accepted his family, (attempted to) fix his clothing, and is now ribbing him like it's old hat.  By the end of this arc, she will have either agreed to go on a date with Marten or will have permanently and irrevocably earned her stripes in his circle of friends.  There is no "Claire the Intern" after The Wedding.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

Goddamn, I had to google Cicero.

And that is a mighty fine Claire expression there. Suaving it up a bit, perhaps it's the whiskey's fault.

Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Best Claire expression.
(click to show/hide)
I was about to post that too. Great expression and a great look for her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up