THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which version did you like best?

Even though he TOOK THE BEST YEARS of MY LIFE and THREW IT ALL AWAY.
- 13 (13.1%)
(Throw in something about being an amazing lover)
- 9 (9.1%)
Love can be a complicated thing.
- 1 (1%)
There was bitterness. Recrinimiation. Pain. But love was still there.
- 10 (10.1%)
Sorry for going off-script.
- 4 (4%)
Does he still get to flip the table?
- 25 (25.3%)
I'm waiting for Marten's speech.
- 5 (5.1%)
Claire REALLY has to wonder about Marten's parents.
- 13 (13.1%)
ALL the FEELS!
- 19 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2401-2405 (11-15 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79854 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I think I remember Jeph once said he wouldn't do the Two People Wake Up In Bed And It Looks Like Sexy Things Happened But They Don't Remember gag. [citation needed]

Although he is being hilariously cruel right now. I really like how Claire and Marten look in the last two panels. Very content, indeed.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

NO dammit troll FAIL.

A TRUE troll would've just signed off 'see you Monday' and had the forums explode in speculation and shipping. The mods would've had to step in every three posts,  banning people left and right. Rampant debates over what the second-to-last panel "means". Glorious chaos!

The comment about 'i'm trolling you guys hard' just deflates all the potential brouhaha. 

SQUEEZE BOX

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Haven't logged into this forum in a long time... people are really shipping Martin and Claire? You guys realize she has a penis, right? I don't think Martin has previously expressed any interest in another male's sexual anatomy before... having Martin end up bisexual would be kind of unexpected at this point, although I suppose it's possible it's something he's repressed for a long time. I dunno.

Please read upthread.  And all the other threads involved.  This has been thoroughly discussed, and the conclusion is that a) we don't know what she may or may not have, and b) it's rude to speculate. 

Regardless, love can spring up in the oddest places.  And people grow and change, especially in this comic (and even more so in real life). 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

... You guys realize she has a penis, right? ... another male's sexual anatomy ... end up bisexual ...

It might be prudent for you to read the threads down in the Discuss! section on how to speak to and about trans people.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Haven't logged into this forum in a long time... people are really shipping Martin and Claire? You guys realize she has a penis, right?
Nope. We realise she was almost certainly * born looking that way, of course. She was also born looking rather smaller. That we can be certain of.

* - not every trans woman was. The vast majority yes, but you can't just assume that. Similarly, she may have had genital reconstruction, or may not. That's her business.

You may want to look at these threads:
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,28457.0.html
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,28499.0.html

To prepare you by expanding your mind, to show just how complex things are...
http://www.usrf.org/news/010308-guevedoces.html

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You've missed a lot in your absence, including several people explaining in depth why what you just said is horribly inappropriate. You can find it yourself, it's on previous WCDTs and a thread in DISCUSS, but it boils down to "Claire is a woman and it's quite disrespectful, if not downright insulting, to say otherwise. Speculation on what is under her pants is also inappropriate."

Edit: Didn't see the new page and a few people already saying it better.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Narcolepto

• Not quite a lurker

I think I remember Jeph once said he wouldn't do the Two People Wake Up In Bed And It Looks Like Sexy Things Happened But They Don't Remember gag. [citation needed]

Not exactly that, but there were comics 1611 http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1611 and 1612 http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1612 . They were pretty dang close to that.

Also, lurker status removed!
For the Horde!

HueItzCoatl

• Not quite a lurker

Holy crap, I was all like...."Yes this is going to happen and it's going to be awesome!" and then I was all like, "Jeph, you're a culero, but that was still awesome."
I'm never quite sure where the line is until I've crossed it.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

NO dammit troll FAIL.

A TRUE troll would've just signed off 'see you Monday' and had the forums explode in speculation and shipping. The mods would've had to step in every three posts,  banning people left and right. Rampant debates over what the second-to-last panel "means". Glorious chaos!

The comment about 'i'm trolling you guys hard' just deflates all the potential brouhaha.

Didn't stop Technetium.

The truly successful troll is one that can still be successful even when everyone knows it. Not admitting it is Easy Mode.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I think I've figured out WHY I'm shipping this so hard.

The Marten/Claire dynamic has become a healthy version of the Marten/Faye dynamic. The snark is there for sure (the "nice one, Cicero" quote shows that), but without the violence or the sexual tension being used against Marten (and I know, Faye wouldn't have done that to Marten if she didn't have crippling anxieties, which she's now working through, but the fact is, the dynamic wasn't healthy at the time, because of that). Oh, and Claire actually knows when to turn the snark off, and be nice to Marten without a side of snark, unlike Faye at times (like this strip - Faye pre-500 would've given a backhanded insult instead, or maybe even a backhanded compliment). And, unlike Faye pre-500, Claire seems to actually be reasonably mentally healthy, and happy with the direction of her life - and, unlike Faye, extremely motivated to pursue her dream career, whereas Faye is the "underachieving peon" in the service industry, who needs significant help from Dora to even think about pursuing her dream. Claire's motivation could easily rub off on Marten, and make him less of a slacker (although that could work on a friendship level, it certainly doesn't need the ship to sail to do that). (The question is, does Marten have something equivalent to bring to the table? Else, it becomes rather one-sided, like Penelope and Wil's relationship began as.)

Mind you, there's the issue that it's unethical for Marten to date an intern that he's supervising, but Claire has clearly become a member of the main cast, and will probably stick around even after the current interns are no longer at Smif. (How long are they there, anyway? A quarter? Semester? Longer?) Speaking of which, I suspect Gabby won't stick around with the main cast - she's not really been developed at all, and Emily... Emily will probably be brought out for gag strips, just like the robots.

And, yes, there is the potential issue of sexual compatibility, regardless of what genitalia Claire has - Marten did express that his mind would be shattered if he found out that a partner was a trans woman after having sex with her (in the context of Dora), and that case would even be after having genital reassignment. As other posters have mentioned, it's not tactful to phrase that issue as, "she has a penis", though, ever - or to speculate on what genitalia she does have. If that issue ever needs to be resolved, I suspect Jeph will have Claire mention it, using far less crude terminology, in-comic (had to reword that sentence to get rid of a couple awful, and unintentional puns that would have been completely tactless). And, I don't think Jeph will even go there unless it's needed to develop the character of a potential romantic partner of Claire's, as being very accepting (partially because, he's implied that he's not going to write any events that are negative towards Claire being trans) - if the partner doesn't need that development or if she has had genital reassignment, then it'll most likely be left unsaid, and if the partner wouldn't be that accepting, Jeph wouldn't even bring the ship to a point where it matters. But unless that happens, as far as we're concerned, what's down there is none of our business.

Oh, and Jeph did do the "one person wakes up in bed and it looks like sexy things happened but she doesn't remember" gag, which nearly resulted in Marten's death. It was the resolution of the Faye puking in Marten's lap arc.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

Well, then there's this.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I don't get why everyone is stressing out about Claire's private parts, or Martens compatibility with them. QC has never been about exploring sexual situations, and if Jeph were to make the two a couple, he would be sure not to expose any sexuality-specific troubles between them. They'd just be a couple, with relatively normal couple issues, until it (probably) all falls apart in emotional anguish, as is standard for Marten's life. And I'm pretty sure Jeph wouldn't decide Marten would be unable to have a relationship with Claire if he (Jeph, that is) wanted said relationship to happen.
What do you know about Pokémon?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I don't get why everyone is stressing out about Claire's private parts, or Martens compatibility with them.

To be fair, not many are; and the discussion is at least partly to put another poster gently back on the rails.

(Edited to put in a missing bracket -Method)
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 06:59 by Method of Madness »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Although he is being hilariously cruel right now. I really like how Claire and Marten look in the last two panels. Very content, indeed.

I had that feeling once at a party in a basement with a girl.  Content, dreamy-eyed drunkeness.  Then I descended into projectile vomiting and the worst hang-over in my life, followed by a flirt and dance with said girl, then back to friends because we made much better friends.

I'd say Jeph is trolling everyone hard.  I think he very well knows how hard people are trying to push them into a romantic relationship that I just don't think makes sense and won't happen and I'd be supremely disappointing iffen it did.  I think they're perfect as friends.  And, quite frankly, it'd be nice for Marten to have one more girl he didn't have a history of sexual tension with (Hanners being the only 'close' friend where no sexual tension is present.  And I don't consider the other interns close enough either).

Then again I just happen to like Emily's character and find her more entertaining and would rather see the hilarity of Marten ever got involved with her.

-----

At any rate, I'll enjoy watching the forum-goers here lose their minds and try to ship two people so smashingly drunk they just blacked out.  May not even remember the "drunken stare".
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 06:26 by Madmartigan »

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

To be fair, not many are; and the discussion is at least partly to put another poster gently back on the rails.

I know, but it's still kind of unpleasant, and it takes a lot of attention away from discussing what's actually happening in the comic. Oh, never mind, I just wanted to vent some steam.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Almost forgot, Jeph did also do the "it looks like sexy things happened but he doesn't remember" - Faye trolling a hungover Henry, although there was no waking up in bed.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

All together now: Hurp. Derp.  :laugh:

For our next shipping manifest, I demand Momo and Winslow. Moslow 4-EVAH!  :evil:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

All together now: Hurp. Derp.  :laugh:

For our next shipping manifest, I demand Momo and Winslow. Moslow 4-EVAH!  :evil:

No no no.  If we're shipping ridiculousness.  Pintsize gets a humanoid chasis like Momo and gets into a three-way relationship with Momo and Winslow.  Only, it's an M&S and Momo is the master.  Obviously.  :psyduck:

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

By the way, someone posted this alternate ending to Jeph's twitter feed: http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b412/jankahl/Random/2405_zpse34a2d27.png

Don't worry, still SFW.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

[--snip--]

I want to upvote your post so hard.

And, quite frankly, it'd be nice for Marten to have one more girl he didn't have a history of sexual tension with (Hanners being the only 'close' friend where no sexual tension is present.  And I don't consider the other interns close enough either).

Tai? Marigold, to some extent?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jaredstar1

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

By the way, someone posted this alternate ending to Jeph's twitter feed: http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b412/jankahl/Random/2405_zpse34a2d27.png

Don't worry, still SFW.

It really has been a long time  hasn't it marten

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

That sounds REALLY dirty for some reason!  :-D

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Very cute strip.  :-)

And if you want to analyze something, analyze that Claire curdled up towards Marten.

If anything she shoulda cuddled up closer; At this rate she'll fall out of bed if she tries sleeping on her back! I suppose that could be adjusted while asleep. *Hopes for an adorable first panel on Monday*

Bra. Vo.
Also, lurker status removed!

Welcome!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Marten/Claire dynamic has become a healthy version of the Marten/Faye dynamic.

Wow. That is an impressive insight.

Note that it's accurate if they are forever Just Friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

[--snip--]

And, quite frankly, it'd be nice for Marten to have one more girl he didn't have a history of sexual tension with (Hanners being the only 'close' friend where no sexual tension is present.  And I don't consider the other interns close enough either).

Tai? Marigold, to some extent?

Forgot about Tai, but there is the whole "Dora" thing around Tai.  And I'd say Marigold is closer to Hanners than Martin.  Way closer in fact. 

Still doesn't change the fact I think they make out far better as great friends.  Let's face it, it would appear Marten is the first outside source she's told about her past.  I think it's better for them both to have a strong relationship on a purely platonic basis than screwing everything up with romance.  It would likely be Claire's 1st relationship. We know Marten's score card in that department.  Abject failure.  It'd be better for Claire to have a brother who's not a brother "friend".  If you get what I mean. 
------------------------------------

As for this being a healthy version of Marten/Faye...Not really seeing that.  There was never anything "unhealthy" imo between those two.  If Faye hadn't had her hanger-ups/trust issues stemming from her father, they'd have gotten together lickity split.  Claire isn't Faye.  Only similarity I can see if that BOTH Faye and Claire have entrusted heavily guarded secrets to Marten.  Claire, I imagine, is the new BFF as Faye gets closer to Angus.  Not a replacement.

The only thing I'd say is Claire is Faye without any sexual tension or romantic attraction.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Forgot about Tai, but there is the whole "Dora" thing around Tai.  And I'd say Marigold is closer to Hanners than Martin.  Way closer in fact. 

I, on the other hand, completely forgot about Dora now dating Tai, so there's that.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Nice comic!

I would really like a close friendship between Marten and Claire; I think that would be the best. No real "relationship" relationship, only a good friendship, maybe even in a brother and sister way. They seem to have quite some fun together.

And I agree that Gabby doesn't feel like "main cast". Emily on the other hand … maybe. She even hosted a party for the regular circle, and said she was friends with them, her only friends. Leaving her would feel awkward. But now that I'm slowly getting used to the waiting between comics I feel like there are already so many recurring characters, that it might be hard to implement another one. There is only a limited number of characters who fit into one panel.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

Did anyone else initially read Claire's Out-of-panel comment as "I didn't even know you could do that WITH a horse!"?... No?....
>.> Neither did I.
I also initially considered the circus we must have missed out on to be the aspect of trolling Jeph was referring to. It is VERY obvious I'm not quite awake right now.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Ah, I see the latest edition of Troll Hard: Troll Harder is up.

Honestly though that was the BEST result. Very adorable.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

My initial reaction was "WHAT did Veronica do on the horse?"

Also "Did Aunt Jane get pictures?" But we all know the answer to that one.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Did anyone else initially read Claire's Out-of-panel comment as "I didn't even know you could do that WITH a horse!"?... No?....

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The horse's expression does appear to be rather pained.
Or perhaps s/he can't believe what Aunt Jane just whispered.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

The horse's expression does appear to be rather pained.
Or perhaps s/he can't believe what Aunt Jane just whispered.

Horse looked rather perturbed at being in a wedding.  It had been looking forward to the Kentucky Derby or some such.  He had a date with a black stallion. :-D

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Nay, 'twas probably just a bad pun. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Marry, 'twas a hoarse whisper.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Roborat

• Furry furrier

Well, this was pretty much the ending I expected.  As another poster said, it would have been funnier to have not had the last panel, and let the forums explode in speculation.  We still have the possibility of the awkward wakeup however, depending on who moves where in their sleep, and of course the morning wood situation could, ahem, arise.

xAmilli0n

• Not quite a lurker

Not gonna lie, got pretty excited reading today's comic as I adore the friendship Marten and Claire have built, and the final panel was adorable.  I'm still grinning like an idiot after reading it.

Thanks for the troll Mr. Jacques.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

it would have been funnier to have not had the last panel, and let the forums explode in speculation.

The forums contain a tiny, tiny part only of the QC fanbase - a joke directed at them would be wasted effort.

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

I'm fine with this. I'm going to be patient, and let this progress, because it is gonna be SO SWEET when they do hook up.

Figure this: It took 489 strips between Dora's first appearance to when she and Marten hooked up, m'kay? It's only been 202 strips since Claire's first appearance.

THERE'S STILL TIME! I keep telling myself

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

JJ is just a huge tease, and he knows it. Pre 500 QC was full of these moments, especially when Faye was intoxicated.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Keep in mind that Faye really was attracted to Marten, though.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Who says Claire isn't? Marten is an incredibly nice, funny, stable, and possibly attractive (I am not the right person to judge) person. Until proven otherwise, everything is possible in my opinion.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I made the argument before, that she turned bright red and could barely speak, she was so overcome with attraction, when she met an older, greyer version of Marten. (I mean, Dora used him as a benchmark for how Marten would look when he turned grey, so...)

So, she most likely finds Marten attractive.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I really hope Jeph neither takes the Faye route or the Dora route with Claire. Or worse, the Padma route.
(I hope I don't have to explain further)

Loki

• comeback tour!

Well, we can be reasonably sure he won't take the Vicky route.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A Faye and Marten relationship would have connected and reinforced the worst parts of both personalities: Faye's bullying and Marten's passivity.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

I made the argument before, that she turned bright red and could barely speak, she was so overcome with attraction, when she met an older, greyer version of Marten. (I mean, Dora used him as a benchmark for how Marten would look when he turned grey, so...)

Not too mention he's probably one of the few people outside her family that knows that she's trans and has been totally accepting of her, that in and of itself has probably created a strong bond she feels with him.  Whether or not that turns into romantic feelings will be very interesting to find out.  I'd totally be happy if they're just close in a brother/sister kind of way as I'd be really sad if a relationship got started but ended up not working out and they became more distant. 

westrim

Jeph has made comics that appeared to be targeted at the forums before, such as shooting down rumors about Hannelore and Marigold.

My initial reaction was "WHAT did Veronica do on the horse?"
I distinctly recall positing that Veronica's response to the horse was recognition, but no one bit.

Marry, 'twas a hoarse whisper.
and of course the morning wood situation could, ahem, arise.
Oh, you!

My questions are, how much do both of them move while sleeping, and is the door locked?
People have touched on the first question, but what about the second? Most hotels I've been to had doors that auto locked, but this is a bed and breakfast, it may have a regular lock.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Or she will in 30 years time... :roll:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up