THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which version did you like best?

Even though he TOOK THE BEST YEARS of MY LIFE and THREW IT ALL AWAY.
- 13 (13.1%)
(Throw in something about being an amazing lover)
- 9 (9.1%)
Love can be a complicated thing.
- 1 (1%)
There was bitterness. Recrinimiation. Pain. But love was still there.
- 10 (10.1%)
Sorry for going off-script.
- 4 (4%)
Does he still get to flip the table?
- 25 (25.3%)
I'm waiting for Marten's speech.
- 5 (5.1%)
Claire REALLY has to wonder about Marten's parents.
- 13 (13.1%)
ALL the FEELS!
- 19 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2401-2405 (11-15 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 78435 times)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Though Jeph seems to use a bit different definition of singularity than other people.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The next 25 years are gonna be freakin awesome. The amount of technological breakthroughs we are so very close to are just amazing.

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication

You've missed a lot in your absence, including several people explaining in depth why what you just said is horribly inappropriate. You can find it yourself, it's on previous WCDTs and a thread in DISCUSS, but it boils down to "Claire is a woman and it's quite disrespectful, if not downright insulting, to say otherwise. Speculation on what is under her pants is also inappropriate."
Is this a real post.

We're talking about a fictional character, right? I do not think I need to worry about her being offended or insulted by my comments.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

hmmm. I don't see this ending well.

Ruhtrax

• Not quite a lurker
  • Lagging like there is no tomorrow

Hm ... This is now interesting again ...
At least on the romance side ...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Mind you, he's (in jest) tweeted in horror that he's married to a shipper. (Apparently Cristi ships Marten and Claire.)

Ohhhhh no.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You've missed a lot in your absence, including several people explaining in depth why what you just said is horribly inappropriate. You can find it yourself, it's on previous WCDTs and a thread in DISCUSS, but it boils down to "Claire is a woman and it's quite disrespectful, if not downright insulting, to say otherwise. Speculation on what is under her pants is also inappropriate."
Is this a real post.

We're talking about a fictional character, right? I do not think I need to worry about her being offended or insulted by my comments.
Just because you're talking about a fictional character doesn't mean that you can't offend real people by making assumptions about her. Just be careful in the future, ok?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Is this a real post.

Yes.  There are people who can be offended by an inappropriate attitude even when discussing a comic.  You have the opportunity in this forum to learn about the issues and to practice getting it right before you find yourself causing upset in the real real world.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

For some reason I am suddenly recalling that there are a lot of sayings related to how moral fibre is displayed best when one is required to interact with those who can't respond….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication

Is this a real post.

Yes.  There are people who can be offended by an inappropriate attitude even when discussing a comic.  You have the opportunity in this forum to learn about the issues and to practice getting it right before you find yourself causing upset in the real real world.
Alternately, those people who are offended could try to have a thicker skin. Shit son, the world is not going to mold itself to fit your insecurities. You can crack jokes about short people, hell you can call me a midget if you want, I will probably laugh right with you. There was a time when I was young and might have responded the same way you are now, but I got over being an idiot and put more attention on being awesome now. There are thousands of different things that individual people are insecure about, and to expect all of society to know how to tiptoe around your own issue among all the others is unrealistic. Learn to roll with the blows instead and you'll be a lot happier.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is this a real post.

Everything said above has been the outcome of thoughtful discussion, but if it doesn't make sense try an analogy.

You wouldn't post speculation about whether "It" is true about Dale's downstairs equipment, even if you knew that nobody in the forum was African-American. Same principle.

Marten's content to treat her as a woman.

Quote from: Technetium
hell you can call me a midget if you want

And the moderators would treat it as a violation of the civility rule if someone did. It's still flamebait if nobody takes the bait.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

There was a time when I was young and might have responded the same way you are now, but I got over being an idiot and put more attention on being awesome now.
implying all of us are idiots
So what, because we're trying to be sensible about about a fictional character we on this forum all love (and the people that might identity with said character), we're being idiots and not-awesome? Right.
There's a difference to "rolling with the blow" and dealing said blows. And that being said, no one has to roll if nobody deals blows. If people tell you it's a sensitive topic for them, you try your best to be sensible about it.
And you don't run around telling people they're idiots.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Learn to roll with the blows instead and you'll be a lot happier.

In this forum, you need to roll with us.

This is not up for discussion, so I'm closing this thread now.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Additional moderation note:

Will everyone please direct their attention to the fact that the moderation team is unanimous about this.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up