THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum-D&D?  (Read 33178 times)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
Forum-D&D?
« on: 19 Apr 2013, 13:32 »

So, I was thinking if it'd be possible to play a game of D&D over the forum. Being a complete noob to D&D myself I obviously don't know all the things required for it to function but so far the only thing I can think of that'd be a problem is the lack of dices. To solve that I'd offer to code kind of an online-dice-tool (name pending) and put it up on my server.
So to keep this short I'll just ask these two quick questions:
1. Is anyone even interested in this?
2. Any other issues that need to be addressed?

Question number two goes especially to those people here who have some experience with D&D (I know you're out there :psyduck:)
If there is some interest in this idea I would be happy to work out a complete concept and get this started. :)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Forum-D&D?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013, 13:42 »

This is related to ongoing discussion about re-creating real-time forum chat.

There's just got to be an off-the-shelf solution to this.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:25 »

I suppose a real-time chat would certainly make it easier and probably more fun too.
Still wondering if anybody is even interested though.  :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:29 »

I am theoretically down.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:42 »

hmm, I've never played a Pen&Paper before, but am currently trying to learn the rules of a German one called “Das Schwarze Auge”, I might be interested.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:43 »

you have my attention

you also may be interested to take a look at this site

Zingoleb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:45 »

hmm, I've never played a Pen&Paper before, but am currently trying to learn the rules of a German one called “Das Schwarze Auge”, I might be interested.

Is that...The Black Eye?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:47 »

well, the German term for a “black eye”, i.e. a bruised eye, is "blaues Auge". The official translation of DSA is “The Dark Eye”
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2013, 14:56 »

you have my attention

you also may be interested to take a look at this site
Thanks for the link! This may be a great alternative if we should decide that the forum isn't the right environment for the game. Or if I fail at programming the dices.  :psyduck:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2013, 15:28 »

I also have never played D&D myself, but as you might have noticed, I am interested. I also read The Order of the Stick (as does Primo :D) and frequent the respective forums.

I am pretty sure there are sites like what you plan to set up, ChaoSera, but don't let that stop you :D just saying, whatever you throw together would probably need a possibility to permalink to dice rolls, something like hashes in the URL maybe.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2013, 16:52 »

I know a lot about D&D, I even have my own dice. I've just never gotten a chance to play...

I was going to be playing some first edition with my uncle,  my as I mentioned in another thread she shredded his books :(

I'd love to join anything you guys set up  :)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2013, 18:04 »

I was more thinking of a simple backlog of the past rolls, should do trick, shouldn't it?
Maybe implement a search feature later on.

And mtmerrick, you're welcome to join ;)
As is everybody else, of course.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2013, 18:32 »

I haven't played since... 1981?  I sold all my books and magazines (all the Strategic Reviews and Dragons 1 - 46) to some kid when I passed my Ph. D. qualifiers in... '90, I think. 

It's far too far in the past for me, and I've better things to do. 

OK, things that make money. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2013, 19:35 »

I would be so down.  I'm running an offline game right now, and would love to have a place to be a PC again.

There are already sites, like the one above, that are set up to facilitate play-by-post.   I signed up for myth-weavers.com a while ago (same name there) so I'd have a place to save and edit character sheets, but their system seems a lot like rpol (which somehow I'd never heard of!)  I think it would definitely be easier if we did it on a site set up for rping, as the dice system, character sheet templates, private forums for individual games, etc., are already set up, and they offer character and map generators.  I could even set up a private QC forum on one of them now, and organize it and invite people as they express interest, and then we'd all have a place to start character sheets, and people can practice with the dice roller, and, and, and! 

(ahem.  I've been wanting to be a PC again for a long time, and I like organizing things a *little* too much sometimes <_<.) 

I don't know what edition everyone uses, but I'm most familiar with 3.5.  If that's what we go with, d20srd.org is good for learning the basics, so if you wanted to play but never have (or need to be refreshed), you don't need to drop a bunch of cash on books first.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2013, 19:45 »

D&D? Meh... I preferred Traveller.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2013, 20:20 »

are there any open source game systems, or ones where the necessary materials are available online? not everyone has a stack of rpg books laying around or wants to shell out the cash to buy some.

henri bemis

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2013, 20:26 »

The SRD is basically that for core books of D&D 3.5 (mainly, it lacks a handful of copyrighted creatures and items, like the Beholders, and some of the fluffier stuff, but it has all the essentials), and it has some supplemental things, too, and it's all compatible with Pathfinder - I don't know if there's something similar for other editions or games, but then I've never really looked.  *shrug*.  But it's a completely free and adequate replacement for the books.

eta: poking around a bit, I think myth-weavers might be a better option if we're going to be playing with new people.  It seems a bit more streamlined and user-friendly than rpol when it comes to character creation.

And yeah, I'm sorry if I'm getting ahead of things.  I just really like the idea, so I'm throwing options around to see if anything sticks. 

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013, 23:13 by henri bemis »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2013, 21:11 »

Not a big fan of D&D, my dice prefer the likes of Dark Heresy, Black Crusade, Inquisitor and Pathfinder. But I might be interested.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2013, 13:40 »

Normally I would be in, *but*, I'm already playing in a Paranoia game and a Shadowrun game, and running an Exalted game. I'm... a little diced out, as it were. Good luck though!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2013, 14:24 »

I really want to try table-top games but I've got this big paranoia about being stupid during them. I know bugger all about individual ones though.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:04 »

I really want to try table-top games but I've got this big paranoia about being stupid during them. I know bugger all about individual ones though.

I can guarantee you that a good GM wants people to have fun. And I can also guarantee you that very few people know what they're doing in their first games.

If you want to try a few games, I'd suggest you keep an eye out for a local game club. Most, if not all, clubs loving teaching new people how to play the various games. Just remember that everyone had to start somewhere and they had no clue either. Any good hobbyist/player will take you through a game and explain whats going on as it comes up. Believe me, people want other people to have fun and they know that's not going to happen if you say to a new person "roll that dice twice.....your character is dead."

But if in doubt, just remember; you're there to have fun, they're there to have fun. That's all that matters and there are no mistakes, just funny events that happen in the story.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:40 »

Thanks for the advice.

I actually have some friends who have invited me to their games a couple times, one saying he'd set up a one-off session for me. I should take them up on it.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2013, 17:39 »

Don't forget too that the hobby has some dipshits and assholes, like any hobby does. So there might be people who are an ass to you. Usually, write them off as jerks and forget about them.

There are some exceptions, but anyone who's stuck up their own ass that they forget to have compassion to newbies (even if you are ruthlessly murdering their characters or something) is still a jerk.

henri bemis

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2013, 19:08 »

Yeah, there are some huge assholes in tabletop, or even just people who aren't fun to play with because their style doesn't mesh with yours, and that's totally ok.  Some people take things too seriously for my taste.  It's ok to fudge some things if it makes the game more fun, and PCs can't be brooding all the time.

That's one of the main reasons I'd be really excited about a QC group - I love teaching new people, I imagine the group would be really friendly, and I've been wanting to be in a relatively simple campaign that starts at low level (not that there's anything wrong with more complex stuff - I just only have core books and don't want to spend a ton of money on supplements right now).

Oh, and I found an SRD for Pathfinder, too, if anyone is interested:  http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2013, 19:32 »

I will agree that you can find some real dickheads in gaming, but you can always walk away and find other people. Believe me, the dickheads tend to be ignored quite quickly.

Generally, what you want is someone who will take a few minutes before you start to go over the basics, most likely what you'll face/have to do. They should hopefully take time to explain the mechanics of the system and run you through some of the more common elements.

Don't be afraid to ask questions; "Why do I have to roll this dice?" "How far can I move again?" A good teacher will explain whats going on before handing you the dice "Ok, your character has been injured, but you might be able to stop some of that damage if you roll X".

Don't be afraid to show you're a novice, everyone was at some stage. And don't be afraid of the story and what may happen.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:18 »

Thanks muchly for all the advice. It has calmed a bunch of my nerves. =)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:29 »

We could form a campaign on Roll20, it's free and works pretty well.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2013, 13:24 »

Alright I'm glad to see there's interest in the idea.
Now, would you guys prefer to use an external site like rpol or would you like to play here?

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2013, 13:26 »

I'd prefer here for my convenience, but I suppose this forum might lack mechanics that we need, so I am leaving the call to some of the more experienced players.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:23 »

I'm on a couple of forums that often run storylines on-site. That said it is run more as a story than a more traditional roundtable game, kind of how we've been running the mafia games only each person is contributing to the plot and the GM taking action. The thing as well is that the number of players should perhaps be kept to a fairly low number, both for the sake of the GM's sanity and to make sure people don't get swamp.

henri bemis

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2013, 20:27 »

I think the convenience of having it here would quickly be negated by the troubles with mechanics, unless we want to do a game that is heavy on role-play, and we just trust the GM to roll for us (like in Mafia), or we all doubleextrapinkyswear we won't cheat our reported dice rolls too often (hell, everyone does it sometimes).  Which also sounds totally fun to me.  It really all depends on how/what people want to play.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2013, 21:43 »

i see no problem with letting the gm do the rolling

Zingoleb

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2013, 23:27 »

Or, possibly an IRC channel that people can have open while also posting in the thread? I know most if not all IRC-type chats have an option to dice roll.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #33 on: 21 Apr 2013, 23:53 »

Last time I did a forum RP GM rolling was the way to go
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2013, 23:58 »

Just use an irc room with a dicebot. GM rolling takes so much fun out of D&D since its at least half of what you do in a given game.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2013, 00:03 »

irc would work fine, but there's always the problem of getting a group together at a specified time

this might be of interest: http://www.tellaerad.net/

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #36 on: 22 Apr 2013, 00:11 »

For specifying time, we could use a Doodle to find a timeslot.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:54 »

I wouldn't use IRC because I somehow doubt we can find a timeslot, especially if the players come from different parts of the world (which they probably will)
It would probably be the easiest to use rpol or something similar, but I'm open to suggestions.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2013, 08:27 »

It may still be useful when people tend to be online and available, for the sake of knowing when there will be the most activity.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:50 »

I'd have to agree with IRC being the best bet for online RP'ing, having done it with some friends in the past. And a dicebot is easy enough to get put together.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:52 »

Well, I would propose having separate channels on the server then. I'd like to have an ordinary #forums chatting channel, seperated from an #DnD channel.

henri bemis

« Reply #41 on: 23 Apr 2013, 16:04 »

I don't know, I see a real-time game dying out pretty fast :/.  pbp is slower-paced, but it's easier to accommodate different time zones and schedules.  We could do a combination, where some of the game is done pbp, and then set up other times to do real time RP however often we can agree on.  It's just been my experience that if players don't have a way to participate at least once a week, they kind of lose interest, or at least fall behind on XP pretty quick, and coordinating everyone on a weekly basis could get really tricky, especially when you need to set aside hours at a time.  Running it on an RP site would also probably be easier on the GM and players, especially if they're new to it. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2013, 16:42 »

Honestly? A campaign on IRC would break down pretty quickly, I've seen it happen twice with different groups.
A play by post game has a couple of benefits; 1. People can collect their thoughts and decide what to do at their own pace. 2. Its easier for people to keep up and not be left behind by the fast typers. 3. The story can be expanded upon with very little hassle, which for me is the most important part. The players are just that; actors on a stage where the GM is the director.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2013, 19:24 »

I think pbp is super shitty but thats moatly because I enjoy not having hours and hours to collect my thoughts and figure out the perfect way to go about doing something. I like needing to make split second decisions because I feel it gets me into the character more. Then again I have no stake in this because I'm generally too busy to play.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

henri bemis

« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2013, 20:26 »

The fact that you say you're probably too busy to play is exactly why I think pbp is a better option  - it's obviously not the way you prefer to play, but it would allow others who might be busy, but still interested, to have a stake in it.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #45 on: 23 Apr 2013, 23:25 »

I would definitely prefer play by post, because I have a difficult schedule (and, unlike I assume most of you, I don't live in the States). My daily routine looks something like "wake up at half seven (GMT+2); get ready for uni, unless it's Tuesday or Wednesday, then do homework or browse Internet; if it's Monday, you will have one whole free hour between two of your classes, but then you are busy from 5:30 pm till 9 pm."  :psyduck:

I can sneak a few consecutive minutes or hours here and there, and at least once per day, but not consistently enough to say "I will always have time on weekday X, time Y".

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2013, 00:50 »

I would definitely prefer play by post, because I have a difficult schedule (and, unlike I assume most of you, I don't live in the States). My daily routine looks something like "wake up at half seven (GMT+2); get ready for uni, unless it's Tuesday or Wednesday, then do homework or browse Internet; if it's Monday, you will have one whole free hour between two of your classes, but then you are busy from 5:30 pm till 9 pm."  :psyduck:

I can sneak a few consecutive minutes or hours here and there, and at least once per day, but not consistently enough to say "I will always have time on weekday X, time Y".
Pretty much the same here except that I also have to go to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I would also prefer play by post. And like Loki, I also live in Germany so it would be incredibly hard to find a schedule that both pleases people in the US and in Europe. Throw someone from Australia in and it'll probably impossible.

So I suppose the majority prefers playing pbp, then we just have to decide wether to do it here or on rpol, for example.

Zingoleb

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2013, 06:53 »

I also live in Germany

oh shit

i hope my half-assed german insisting i'm not you isn't too offensively terrible

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 24 Apr 2013, 08:51 »

I also live in Germany

oh shit

i hope my half-assed german insisting i'm not you isn't too offensively terrible
Don't worry about it, there are a few mistakes in there but I've seen far worse german. Sadly, even by supposedly native german-speakers...

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #49 on: 24 Apr 2013, 19:55 »

I would definitely prefer play by post, because...
---

This, 100%.  Due to the state of my life I can't set a schedule like that right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up