THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 16:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum-D&D?  (Read 33565 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: Forum-D&D?
« Reply #150 on: 04 Jul 2014, 00:17 »

Whatever will work the best, seeing as how I will most likely go with a play-by-post game like with did with the previous effort.
To be honest, the only thing that was really stopping me from running a game before hand was my job as well as organising a festival next week. With my contract finished in August, I'm just testing the waters to see if anyone wants to take part.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #151 on: 04 Jul 2014, 00:30 »

I am inclined, but am not at all sure I have the time.
(I'd also have usually suggested using roll20, but this might pose problems with time zones...)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #152 on: 04 Jul 2014, 09:14 »

I might be interested. I've never done a play by post so I'm not entirely sure how it works.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #153 on: 09 Dec 2014, 19:06 »

so, i was going through an old sketchbook, and i came across this unfinished sketch from the now defunct game. thought some on here might be interested to see it.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #154 on: 09 Dec 2014, 19:12 »

Defunct? The game could still happen...I guess.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #155 on: 29 Dec 2014, 14:22 »

I like it! Kinda reminds me of Tarol Hunt's early work on Goblins.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #156 on: 29 Dec 2014, 15:12 »

I rather like it as well. (Side note, I rather dislike what Tarol Hunt is doing with Goblins.)

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #157 on: 30 Dec 2014, 16:53 »

D&D? Meh... I preferred Traveller.
Oh man, I was in the worst Traveller campaign.  Our GM thought it would be great for everyone to role play dealing with bureaucrats instead of you know, adventuring.  We'd spend the entire evening trying to deal with the hassle of dealing with customs, dockyard officials, etc etc.   The campaign ended when the party decided to sell the ship and retire.  "But owning a spaceship was you life's desire!"  Me:  "Fuck it."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #158 on: 30 Dec 2014, 17:04 »

I dunno, bureaucracy is its own sort of adventure.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #159 on: 30 Dec 2014, 17:14 »

I'm in a pretty hilarious Traveller campaign right now.
I am playing a scientist (specifically, a neurosurgeon who happens to be the only one in the party halfway decent at using a computer). We have a rogue/thief in the party (unbeknownst to the other PCs).
As our expedition ship is being blown to pieces by an unknown external force, the rogue happens to be in the lab with all the scientists. I bark at her: "Bloody do something! What kind of science do you do anyway?!"
"I do... Survival Science!"

We have rolled with it ever since. She is our resident "Survival Scientist". My character fervently believes she has all the answers to any questions regarding Survival, and will with great impetus defend her if someone questions her.

(We got off the exploding ship with an escape shuttle which was designed for ten people. We could have crammed up to thirty people in and saved many NPC lives.
So naturally, following the sensible advice of our Survival Scientist, we start as soon as the three of our PCs get into the - otherwise empty - shuttle. We didn't see any other escape shuttles making it :D)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #160 on: 30 Dec 2014, 17:15 »

What's the difference between Traveler and D&D?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #161 on: 30 Dec 2014, 17:30 »

Everything.
Seriously though, what comes to my mind:
* in Traveller, you do almost all rolls with 2d6 instead of a d20. This gives you a different probability distribution. You usuall roll to pass an 8 - everything above that improves the result, with +6 (6 above whatever you have to beat) being a critical success; everything less than that may have negative consequences and -6 (failing the roll by six points) is a critical fail.
* Traveller has a vastly different class system. You can make your character older and for every four years "passed", you can roll on a table of life events, which may include good things (you get a politically powerful ally) or bad things (you lose a limb or an eye).
* It is also very low-magic (at least the setting we are playing.) Psionics exist, few and far between  - they have  "classical" mind skills lile telekinesis, telepathy etc. Otherwise, not much.

I am not too sure what is due to our setting and what is due to the system itself. We are playing in a Star Trek-like world, 5000 years in the future. Thus, the feeling is different a lot.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #162 on: 30 Dec 2014, 17:41 »

It sounds like I would like Traveler more, from that description.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #163 on: 31 Dec 2014, 15:03 »

I am not too sure what is due to our setting and what is due to the system itself. We are playing in a Star Trek-like world, 5000 years in the future. Thus, the feeling is different a lot.
Most of that is indeed built into the standard setting, although the rules can be used for all sorts of space opera.  I wouldn't call the Third Imperium very Star Trek-like, though, so that's possibly a homebrew.  There's also a popular implementation of the Traveller setting using the GURPS ruleset (which I'm much more familiar with.  For Method's reference, GURPS (Generic Universal RolePlaying System) is yet another set of rules, based on 3d6 and trying to roll under a skill number.  Character traits are bought with points, while negative traits give points back, instead of having a class system.  This can make character creation longer and more complicated, but the upside is that characters are very customizable, so you can have things like a swordsman who knows a few minor spells because he ran away from a wizard's apprenticeship, or a ship's engineer who got her training in the space Marines and can hit a target at 500 meters as easily as she fixes a warp core, or a sapient telepathic blueberry muffin if you're in a world that supports that kind of thing. (Traveller allows some degree of that, but it's both randomized and limited in scope).  There's no classes, and the rules are meant to be able to be used to mimic any kind of setting (although many people complain that it doesn't support high-end superheroic adventures very well).
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #164 on: 12 Jan 2015, 18:53 »

Okay, so I might have some free time coming up and I might be able to run a pbp game if anyone is interested.
Now, this would probably be a small-ish game, with maybe five players, but I could expand it if enough people were interested.
I do have a variety of systems and a couple of different stories to go with them, but right now, I'm just gauging interest.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #165 on: 12 Jan 2015, 18:53 »

Maybe!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up