THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Detective Comics Cinematic Universe (formerly Man of Steel)  (Read 144129 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: Detective Comics Cinematic Universe (formerly Man of Steel)
« Reply #450 on: 03 Aug 2016, 10:08 »

The real problem might be that Warner Brothers might just decide to cut their losses with the DCEU films after Justice League and Wonder Woman.

I mean, at the moment the budget for the first three films in the DCEU has been $650 million and the Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice films have earned $1.5 billion.

Compare that to Marvel, whose budget for Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk Iron Man was $490 million and the three films made $1.47 billion and if Suicide Squad flops, the executives are going to be wondering if its worth it.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #451 on: 03 Aug 2016, 16:33 »

Don't forget, Hollywood has a looong history of 'Creative Accounting', so I wouldn't put too much store in those figures.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #452 on: 03 Aug 2016, 16:54 »

True and they'll swap things around if needs be. But in the end, money talks and if the DCEU films continue like they are, WB might decide to cut their losses.

Of course, this means now that the future of the DCEU lies firmly on the shoulders of the Wonder Woman and the Justice League film, but also how the cinema going public views women led superhero films. Catwoman bombed and is generally considered tied with David Hasselhof as Nick Fury as the worst superhero film ever made. The executives just don't believe that women can't lead a hero film by themselves, which is of course bullshit. How Wonder Woman does will be hugely important, not just from a cash perspective, but from an equality one as well.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #453 on: 04 Aug 2016, 01:44 »

I'm pretty sure Suicide Squad is going to make good money. It has been very well marketed, and it's the kind of movie that doesn't have to be all that good for a bunch of people to like it. Also, people are hungry for something similar after Deadpool!
I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #454 on: 04 Aug 2016, 02:29 »

Cross-posted from the 'I saw (x) movie' thread:

I'm a little sad that the movie was so deeply flawed, even though I had a reasonably good time :o

This seems to be the viewpoint that I'm seeing in many viewers' reactions. Not a bad movie but has too many flaws and bad creative choices to ever get beyond 'mediocre/meh'.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #455 on: 04 Aug 2016, 13:57 »

Fun mediocre is better than what we got with BvS.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #456 on: 05 Aug 2016, 00:24 »

In BvS news, the guys at Auralnauts dropped this on Wednesday. I wish the Flash section was in the actual movie.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #458 on: 06 Aug 2016, 20:19 »

I actually rather liked Suicide Squad. It definitely had its flaws, but it's not nearly the shitshow people make it out to be.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #459 on: 06 Aug 2016, 20:42 »

I'll probably see it, and enjoy it.  Then again, my expectations are so low at this point, that it can be mediocre and I'd still have fun.  I'll have to leave my brain at home, though.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #460 on: 07 Aug 2016, 16:59 »

My friends and I went to see Suicide Squad tonight. Seen reviews so I knew it wasn't gonna live up to the hype, but I was still disappointed. At this point it 's rather clear that there is some inherent flaw within the DC/Warner production machine, because all their films have the same problems of confused scripts, tone all over the place, poorly used humor, absolutely no self-awareness and absolutely GODAWFUL editing. Seriously, the pacing and structure of BvS and SS are basically non-existant. It's kinda shocking how poorly put together these movies are, to be honest. All the movies are made up of mostly decent elements (decent casting, design, music, plot ideas) but the execution is just not there.

(click to show/hide)

After watching Suicide Squad, we went home and watched Kingsman. What a great movie that did so many of the things that SS tried and failed at right. Good cinematography, editing, pacing, use of music and comedic/dramatic timing is essential to humor/action movies like these, and here we have one example of how to do all these right and how to do all these wrong.
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #461 on: 07 Aug 2016, 22:17 »

I also saw Suicide Squad today. My expectations were rock bottom, so I was happy it wasn't a complete garbage fire. It was even kind of decent in a 'detach your brain and just go with it' way. Though I couldn't help myself asking 'Why' to the screen in so many cases. Why were these people acting like this. Why did nobody seem to be bothering to stop the big world-ending thing until it was plot convenient. Why did they even put Katana in the movie if they were going to do absolutely nothing with her. The pacing was horrible as well. Taking way to long to introduce the characters with little in between to break it up. There was also the whole host of 'whys' around the existence and operation of the Suicide Squad.. But that is a given and you just got to roll with it. It's a pretty widely accepted fact I think that everyone knows what an incredibly stupid idea it is and why it would never work out. But just gloss over that because they want to see these bad guys working together as the stars.

It had it's good points. Many of the cast was superbly done and I sincerely hope to see Deadshot, Harley and Waller appear in more movies at least. Diablo probably has the strongest story arc, even through it never really goes anywhere. His story is really mostly told in flashback. Katana has the weakest as in it was basically non-existent. I do think that they kept the characters very close to what I've seen in the comics. Which is a huge plus for the DCEU. And I will say something that genuinely surprises me. I didn't hate Jared Leto as the Joker. From everything I had seen and read about him, I expected to absolutely hate him in the role. And mind you, of all the people who have played Mista J, I think his is the worst portrayal. But when you consider who else has been in this role and the absolutely character defining performances they have given him... Being the one who just played a 'meh' Joker isn't that bad, really. I do question strongly his motivation in he movie. That is far from any version of the character I've seen and doesn't really work.

In the end, I think it's worth a matinee trip. Or wait til it's on dvd and rent it. It's still not on par with the Marvel movies, or the DC animated movies. But it wasn't the horrible garbage fire of Dawn of Justice either.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #462 on: 20 Aug 2016, 07:40 »

Precious angels too good for this movie

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #463 on: 20 Aug 2016, 08:11 »

I'm pretty sure that there is going to be a 'Harley and Deadshot' film just because those are the only two in the film with charisma... or even a recognisable character.
~~~~

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #464 on: 20 Aug 2016, 12:24 »

I think that's pretty unfair. I think Courtney was pretty funny, problem was he didn't get anything to do. And I really liked Hernandez (El Diablo). Also Smith & Robbie got very much all of the screen time and plot development, so..

Also, I think having Deadshot and Harley getting all friendly was pretty forced. Absolutely no reason for them to have anything other than forced association with each other, save for being the two most popular characters/actors.
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #465 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:50 »

They did have top billing, and it was no accident. Deadshot and Harley have pretty much been fixtures in the Suicide Squad comics. Well so has Captain Boomerang, but his role was more comic relief. He was seriously underused in the movie sadly. I think he was the worst casualty of trying to shove to many people into this film. It should be pointed out that Deadshot and Harley do have something of a working and occasionally sexual relationship in the comics during their time on the Squad. Most often as two people on the team who aren't complete unhinged psychopaths or entirely unreliable. Which given that ones is an immoral assassin for hire and the other is a criminally insane criminal with a string of violent assaults and murders on her sheet is saying something.

Why it failed in the movie is that they were given no reason to develop a reliance on each other or affection for each other. It was just put in the movie because they had it in the comics. Again, a flaw where they were trying to do way to much for one movie. There is a reason why Marvel studios didn't start with The Avengers first, then do the solo films. Pacing was shot to hell in Suicide Squad as they tried to shove the full origin of Harley, the origin of the Squad and mini-origins of the other characters into a movie that also had to main plot lines running.. The Squad's first mission and Joker trying to free Harley. That was about 4-5 movies worth of material they tried to shove into one.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #466 on: 21 Aug 2016, 13:02 »

I've thought for a while that WB is putting on too much speed in an attempt to catch up with Disney and it's leading to compromised work all the way down the line.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #467 on: 21 Aug 2016, 13:49 »

Why it failed in the movie is that they were given no reason to develop a reliance on each other or affection for each other. It was just put in the movie because they had it in the comics. Again, a flaw where they were trying to do way to much for one movie. There is a reason why Marvel studios didn't start with The Avengers first, then do the solo films. Pacing was shot to hell in Suicide Squad as they tried to shove the full origin of Harley, the origin of the Squad and mini-origins of the other characters into a movie that also had to main plot lines running.. The Squad's first mission and Joker trying to free Harley. That was about 4-5 movies worth of material they tried to shove into one.

You've hit the nail on the head with the problem that Warner Brothers and DC are suffering from. Marvel and Disney have been making its cinematic universe since 2008, or at least setting up the possibility of it (no one knew that the first few films would be that successful), but its used that time to introduce key characters and to develop those stories, as well as slowly expand the overall Infinity Stones storyline.

Even with the success of the Dark Knight Saga, DC and Warner Brothers were very slow in developing a cinematic universe, possibly even getting to the point where they can't catch up. And so, we get films where a dozen interesting characters in the comics are thrown into something of a mess where there barely seems to be enough time to introduce them let alone develop their characters. Marvel took 4 years and 5 films to get to the point where the Avengers assembled, while DC tried to introduce a ensemble film of a lesser known property* in a year and after 2 films.

*lesser in the sense that people would think of the Justice League before they thought of Suicide Squad.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #468 on: 21 Aug 2016, 20:10 »

I'm really hoping 2017 is DC's year, what with Wonder Woman and Justice League.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #469 on: 22 Aug 2016, 07:22 »

I'm starting to lose faith that anything they'll make will be good at this point..
I dunno..

TheEvilDog

« Reply #470 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:29 »

Well MoM is right in one regard. 2017 is going to have to be the year when DC and Warner Brothers success hinges on Wonder Woman and Justice League. Because if they flop then they might reconsider what they are doing.

As it happens, right now DC has four highly praised tv series based upon their work. It might become a case that they decide to concentrate on that aspect rather than film. (For all the cinematic success Marvel has had, and Daredevil and Jessica Jones notwithstanding, they have not had the best of luck with tv series, Agent Carter was cancelled after two series and Agents of SHIELD has been kind of forgotten about).

If DC really want to have a win over the distinguished competition, they really need to play up to their strengths at the moment. And at the moment that's not happening on the big screen.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #471 on: 22 Aug 2016, 10:28 »

Or follow their success with their animated movies and series. DC properties and characters make for good shows. The problem has always been they keep hiring the wrong people to make most of their live action films.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #472 on: 22 Aug 2016, 11:36 »

I really wish Affleck was directing JL instead of Snyder.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #473 on: 20 Sep 2016, 19:40 »

Rumor is the next animated batman movie will be voiced by the original cast of the 60s batman live action show...

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #475 on: 16 Feb 2017, 09:27 »

Warner Brothers are currently looking at Mel Gibson to direct the Suicide Squad sequel.

I kind of get the feeling that if Jared Leto tries to send him a dead rat during production, he's going to get that rat whacked upside his head....

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #476 on: 16 Feb 2017, 11:12 »

What the fuck. Why. For fuck sake.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #477 on: 16 Feb 2017, 11:16 »

I kind of get the feeling that if Jared Leto tries to send him a dead rat during production, he's going to be the first person to deserve it.
Also this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #478 on: 16 Feb 2017, 12:54 »

Well, despite Mad Mel's history, he did do very well with his last directorial outing.  Whether he's the right pick for the Suicide Squad sequel is a debatable point at this stage though.
James The Kugai 

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #479 on: 21 Feb 2017, 17:48 »

LEGO Batman is probably the best Batman movie there will ever be

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #480 on: 23 Feb 2017, 15:57 »

The Dark Knight scowls at you.
James The Kugai 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #481 on: 24 Feb 2017, 15:33 »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #482 on: 01 Mar 2017, 15:10 »

Lego Batman was loads of fun. I wish I could have watched it as a child because it was so fun and it is perfect for shameless excitement. Clearly squeezed in every possible licensed character they could for the maximum amount of tie-in merchandise but I don't even care. I had so much sheer joy while watching and I would watch it again right now.

Who would have thought Zach Galifianakis could be such a great Joker? Reminiscent of Mark Hamill's but not too close and survived being more kid-friendly extremely well.

I loved this movie.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #483 on: 07 Mar 2017, 02:32 »

Rumours are appearing on the internet that Ben Affleck will have a cameo in Wonder Woman. This makes sense as at least one of the trailers suggests that the entire film is a flash-back narrated by Diana to someone and, in the end, who else would she have to whom to tell the story but Bruce Wayne?

This makes me wonder if WB have decided to copy the fan-popular Batman/Wonder Woman ship that was first seriously explored in the 1990s/2000s animated shows.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #484 on: 07 Mar 2017, 04:07 »

I don't understand the value of having a just-for-the-fans cameo in a film when half the fans just spoil it for themselves anyway.

Isn't the whole thrill of it not knowing it's going to happen?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #485 on: 07 Mar 2017, 05:49 »

Agreed. And they're not just spoiing it for themselves.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #486 on: 07 Mar 2017, 15:54 »

Meh

Was always a WW/SH fan shipper anyway

:-D
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #487 on: 07 Mar 2017, 15:59 »

WW/SH?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #488 on: 11 Mar 2017, 15:31 »

Wonder Woman/someone else, at a guess.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #489 on: 11 Mar 2017, 17:57 »

Sheesh, I fiured someone would have figured out the resident Thanagarians initials by now!!
James The Kugai 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #490 on: 12 Mar 2017, 00:22 »

Diana and Shieyra? Well, each to their own ship.

Whilst on the subject of Wonder Woman:
Looks very, very good. I'm thinking that this film may save DCCU (or, possibly, create a standard that Zach simply can't live up to).

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #491 on: 12 Mar 2017, 18:58 »

By odd coincidence, a friend sent me a link to this image on DeviantArt over the weekend:

This Wonder Woman (神奇女侠 - shénqínǚxiá) obviously comes from the fabled land of Chinapan*, rather Themyscira, but I thought it was rather cool. The golden chain-whip in place of the lasso is quite clever.

*The okobo, face-paint, and the design of her headpiece look Japanese, while the rest of her outfit and equipment are more Chinese (especially the five-star red waist-sash :-D).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #492 on: 25 Mar 2017, 10:35 »

I'll let this one speak for itself:

~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #493 on: 25 Mar 2017, 15:36 »

It seems quite dark. Both in terms of lighting, and that nobody really cracks a smile.  So.. par for the course. And they're leading off with parademons? No build up to the big bad huh? Just 'hey, here's an entire planet of bad guys, many of which could give Superman a run for his money, oh he's dead.' The character design I like, and what little I've seen of the actors I'm happy with.  Batman using guns again, including a recoilless rifle or cannon on the batmobile. And possibly a sort of bat-mecha. Bloodshed is definitely on the table.  Mera and the Amazons showing up is nice. Unless it gets completely panned the way Batman v Superman did, I'll go see it. I  hope it turns out good. But... I'm not holding my breath on it.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #494 on: 25 Mar 2017, 16:03 »

And don't forget that Supes is in this mix somewhere.
James The Kugai 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #495 on: 25 Mar 2017, 19:52 »

Nope, Superman is 'dead' as of the end of Batman v Superman. Quotation  marks because of course he 'died' fighting Doomsday in the comics too. But at least he stayed dead for about a year then. Even odds that he'll be a final act 'surprise' in Justice League, or show up in the sequel. I'm fine with him not showing up, really. Henry Cavil has no charisma as Superman. Though to be fair the writers didn't give him anything to work with.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #496 on: 26 Mar 2017, 00:26 »

Possible spoiler based on the comics:

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #497 on: 26 Mar 2017, 14:39 »

Well since they've been hinting at his return in this film,  I suspect we'll see him come into play somewhere in the last half or quarter of the film.
James The Kugai 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #498 on: 26 Mar 2017, 14:42 »

Either that or we see Hank Henshaw, the Eradicator and Superboy stepping in and trying to claim the title of Superman. Oh and John Henry Irons living up to the ideal and Supes returning in the next film.

Oh, and Batman can have his back broken (again) and Wonder Woman can be replaced by an unstable warrior from a sister city.

And in that moment, we shall realise we have been transported back in time to the mid 90s.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #499 on: 26 Mar 2017, 14:48 »

*Runs away screaming incoherently*
James The Kugai 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up