THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detective Comics Cinematic Universe (formerly Man of Steel)  (Read 144085 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Detective Comics Cinematic Universe (formerly Man of Steel)
« Reply #550 on: 12 Jun 2019, 19:38 »

So has anyone heard of this show on syfy called "Krypton" that takes place 2 generations before the events of Superman?  I have never heard of it but Season 2 just premiered. Zod and his followers look a lot like NOD troops from C&C Tiberium Sun so it piqued my interest.

As far as I can tell Val-El, patriarch of the El family, is arrested and executed by the corrupt leadership of Krypton. The El's are stripped of their noble privileges and forced to live in the slums. Val-El's son, Seg, figures out that his father was arrested because he found a terrible secret. Then some people from the future come back in time to save Krypton. An earth man named Adam Strange and General Zod.

From what I can tell its one part Dune, one part Red Faction, and a dash of Game of Thrones. Val-El is even played by the same actor as Barristan Selmy from GoT.

Edit: Oh, also the actor that plays Zod sounds VERY similar to Patrick Stuart, at least in the speech I heard him give in Season 2's premier. I may go back and watch season 1.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #551 on: 12 Jun 2019, 19:54 »

Haven't seen it (or even heard about it), but in case people haven't heard, the latest DC series, Swamp Thing has been cancelled a week after it premiered. This has nothing to do with ratings, but the fact that North Carolina screwed up and miscalculated the tax break it had given the show. Basically the show's budget was cut in half and considering that it's a budget heavy show, its been cancelled.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #552 on: 13 Jun 2019, 06:54 »

There's a forthcoming show on the CW network; I've seen previews while watching The Flash but they don't give a title. There's a spotlight Batsignal, and a woman in a Batsuit, and a "Coming Soon". Thats all I know right now.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #553 on: 13 Jun 2019, 06:59 »

That would be Batwoman, with Ruby Rose as the eponymous heroine.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #554 on: 13 Jun 2019, 07:10 »

That would be Batwoman, with Ruby Rose as the eponymous heroine.
Also not clear if it's going to be in the same multiverse as The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and Legends. I remember one episode of Arrow when they went to Gotham City.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #555 on: 14 Jun 2019, 11:27 »

Holy shit, Adam Strange! One of my favourite trades as a kid was an Adam Strange.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #556 on: 09 Jul 2019, 19:41 »

So I finally got around to watching Shazam and I liked it a lot!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #557 on: 03 Oct 2019, 06:20 »

Sounding like it was good. I am worried people are going to go into it thinking its an action movie because its a comic book movie when really its a drama about a man being broken.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #558 on: 03 Oct 2019, 12:18 »

In a world as nihilistic and violent and grim as the one we currently live in, with more people than ever more aware of that, I cannot imagine a movie I want to see less than one focused only the Joker. Without even a Batman to kick his ass. I don't get it. Like, America practically elected the fucking Joker.

I'd say I might be taking it too seriously - which is true regardless - but it sounds like the movie, director and star all do too...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #559 on: 03 Oct 2019, 13:34 »

Doesn't help that the director can't understand where peoples criticism is coming from.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #561 on: 24 Dec 2019, 09:23 »

Someone watch that and tell me if it's good.

One of the only Millar-written comics I still like. But I haven't read it in ages so maybe I'd hate it now.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #562 on: 24 Dec 2019, 09:49 »

For me Millar's comics work when he has to use established characters, not his own original ones
The movies have always, with the exception of Wanted, been better than the comics

Apparently the Harley Quinn so is actually really good

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #563 on: 24 Dec 2019, 09:57 »

Although I agree with you on a relative scale, because none of his work with other people's IPs are as bad as say, Kick-Ass or Wanted, but it's not like Ultimates is... good.

Also, Millar seems to really, really hate women.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #564 on: 25 Dec 2019, 08:37 »

The first 2 Ultimates were good for the time, and really laid the groundwork for Ultimate Marvel and the Marvel movies
But yeah, he sucks when it comes to writing women

Still the best thing involving him

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #565 on: 26 Dec 2019, 00:16 »

Millar is basically a teenage edge lord who never grew up.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #566 on: 23 Aug 2020, 19:14 »

DC Fandome is over and here's some good stuff from it

But more importantly, Suicide Squad actually looks good/fun

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #567 on: 24 Aug 2020, 01:19 »

Okay, seen the Batman and Suicide Squad 2 trailers. I might be coming across as a bit burned out but really my only thoughts are as follows:

The Batman - Look, can we come to terms with the fact that Christopher Nolan got Batman as dark as the character can get without being taken ludicrously OOC? Trying to one-up the Dark Knight Trilogy is a futile exercise and will only make Batman an increasingly fringe character for a fringe audience. Also, am I the only one tired of Batman movies whose colour pallate is black, dark grey, dark brown, occasionally dark green and even more occasionally searing white spotliights for 'dramatic sillhouettes'. I want to see the motion pictures that I go to see, not just hear them as I squint at indistinct darting shadows;

Suicide Squad 2 - Hrm. Looks like Warner Brothers hasn't tired of throwing bundles of money into this particular trash fire of a franchise. Looks like James Gunn has decided to go with the 'deafen and dazzle the audience into submission' pattern of action flicks.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #568 on: 27 Dec 2020, 07:37 »

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I liked WW1984 a lot. Definitely flawed, but it was a lot of fun, and it was more consistent than the first one. Also, a guy named Chris plays a guy named Steve who shows up about 66-67 years after apparently dying in a plane crash. Probably one of the more specific coincidences in comic book movies.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #569 on: 30 Jan 2021, 19:40 »

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I liked WW1984 a lot. Definitely flawed, but it was a lot of fun, and it was more consistent than the first one.

It wasn't as bad as a lot of reviews seem to paint it as, but it was disjointed as all hell. It didn't suffer the huge drop in logic in the third act like the first one did, but that's mainly because the logic was completely scattershot throughout. The bones of a good movie are there (a lot of people are fussing about the macguffin, but it's a perfectly valid comic book macguffin, especially in a universe where the world-ending widgets from the big team up movie were called "mother boxes") and Pine, Pascal (I just love watching this guy go full ham) and Wiig are doing great work with their roles. But Gadot just doesn't have enough acting capability to carry a movie (also the way she chooses which words to emphasize when speaking English is still baffling) and the entire Egypt sequence needed to be axed in favor of an extended WH action scene and some actual explanation of what the hell was going on with Max Lord.

(click to show/hide)

So, yes, decently fun but WAY too stupid.
Quis pater tibi est?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #570 on: 06 Aug 2021, 04:34 »

The Suicide Squad was so much better than it had any right to be. My favorite DCCU movie yet.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #571 on: 07 Aug 2021, 08:46 »

It honestly worked better than I expected it to. Well done cast and crew.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #572 on: 22 Aug 2021, 16:47 »

Okay, seen the Batman and Suicide Squad 2 trailers. I might be coming across as a bit burned out but really my only thoughts are as follows:

The Batman - Look, can we come to terms with the fact that Christopher Nolan got Batman as dark as the character can get without being taken ludicrously OOC? Trying to one-up the Dark Knight Trilogy is a futile exercise and will only make Batman an increasingly fringe character for a fringe audience. Also, am I the only one tired of Batman movies whose colour pallate is black, dark grey, dark brown, occasionally dark green and even more occasionally searing white spotliights for 'dramatic sillhouettes'. I want to see the motion pictures that I go to see, not just hear them as I squint at indistinct darting shadows;

Suicide Squad 2 - Hrm. Looks like Warner Brothers hasn't tired of throwing bundles of money into this particular trash fire of a franchise. Looks like James Gunn has decided to go with the 'deafen and dazzle the audience into submission' pattern of action flicks.

To quote Red from OSP, "Can you imagine your Batman comforting a scared child? If yes, congratulations, that’s a genuine Batman! If no, you haven’t written Batman, you’ve just written Punisher in a funny hat."
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #574 on: 11 Nov 2022, 07:55 »

Rest in peace Kevin Conroy. You were always and always will be my Batman and Bruce Wayne.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up