THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Distressing trends in modern pop music  (Read 26812 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Distressing trends in modern pop music
« Reply #50 on: 14 Aug 2013, 11:55 »

I need to start avoiding this fucking thread, man.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #51 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:15 »

Make sure you use protection  :-D

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #52 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:35 »

A distressing trend in pop music is that it still exists.

Beethoven's music was pop in its day.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #53 on: 14 Aug 2013, 15:45 »

I don't believe that parallel's nearly as close as some people like to think.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 15 Aug 2013, 01:35 »

I'd say the two L's are the worst for me:

- Loudness Wars. Everything just sounds so horribly overcompressed, because it is horribly overcompressed. The trend of wanting to make every recording sound "louder" really does tend to ruin all dynamics and turn everything into a big, blaring mess. However, sometimes you run into stuff that bucks this trend. A recent example would be Bruno Mars' latest album "Unorthodox Jukebox"; the production on that one is really nice and organic, plus it has some cracking good songs. Which leads me into the next thing:

- Laziness. Songwriters have gotten lazy. Plain and simple. The promotion wings of major labels are quite simply too fucking good at their jobs. Too many songs with half-assed songwriting make it to radio and onto the charts because the promotion is too effective, and as such songwriters don't really have to make as great an effort to crank out good material once they have this giant machine backing them. Their shit will turn into gold no matter how much they half-ass it.

Runners-up: Songwriting by committee! This is an old one, as old as the hills as it were, and represents a fear in the hearts of major labels. Ever noticed how writing credits for most major songs, no matter how idiotically simplistic, are made up of 6-7 people or more? This is classic too-many-chefs-fuck-up-dinner-for-everyone. This is mainly a greed thing; no matter how tiny a contribution someone makes, people want writing credits since they are the only way to make money off music nowadays. Whitney Houston, one of the best-selling singers of all time, died penniless because she never wrote a single note herself and thus all profits from airplay went into other people's pockets.

The audience themselves: People just don't really seem to care all that much, on the surface of things. But they do care, just not enough. Genuinely good artists like Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake and others are still successful. "Call Me Maybe", probably the most perfect pop song in the last few decades, was still a massive hit. If the general audience gets a serving of actual quality, they still react strongly to it but they still don't seek it out actively despite it being easier than ever. That's a bit sad, but with advances like Spotify and such, this will change over time. The times of crate-digging and zine-reading are long gone, and now everyone can find the perfect music for them with absolute minimal effort.

Sting: Sting hasn't made more albums. Also, not enough "artiste" types have taken his cue and gone off to make "smart" pop music instead of wanky, noodly music-for-musicians arty-farty crap. Sting is a virtuoso and can thus get away with writing super-catchy pop songs in 7/8 because why not!? MORE ARTISTS NEED TO DO THIS!

Overall, I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, we still have Gotye, and Sting is still alive so there's plenty of hope.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #55 on: 15 Aug 2013, 02:34 »

I don't believe that parallel's nearly as close as some people like to think.
Indeed, for most of the nineteenth century, Music hall and variants were popular music, not classical or romantic composers.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

kyomi

« Reply #56 on: 15 Aug 2013, 05:18 »

I was taking the term "pop music" not as "popular music" (genrally) but as the songs that get played 800 times in an hour every day on the radio. All of it is horrible in my opinion... I used to listen to a rock radio station that had bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park and Disturbed along with a few others which I forgot.

Now, I just use it as an alarm to get up and it's the same folkish, country music that shouldn't even be in the same universe as rock. Either that or songs that are trying to jump on the dubstep bandwagon with a "Look! We can do it too!". I rarely hear rock on that station anymore which is pretty sad.

It's stuff like that which is why I've stopped listening to any radio and stopped taking music "advice" from people. Why isn't there a metal radio station? Or even an industrial one? That would be damn awesome.. but noo... all we get to have is this shitty pop music. It's the same 5 songs constantly.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #57 on: 15 Aug 2013, 05:27 »

You really need to lighten up, seriously. Good songwriting does crop up occasionally within the pop spectrum and you're just missing out on good stuff if you write if all off categorically. I acknowledge that a good portion of it is crap, but the more you complain about it and choose to waste your energy hating it the more THEY WIN (sort of...)
If you don't like the radio, then don't listen, it's that simple, really. If it's at work and you can't turn it off, then tune out mentally or open your mind a little.
Also, there are literally bajillions of metal or industrial radio stations online.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 15 Aug 2013, 09:45 »

I was taking the term "pop music" not as "popular music" (genrally) but as the songs that get played 800 times in an hour every day on the radio. All of it is horrible in my opinion... I used to listen to a rock radio station that had bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park and Disturbed along with a few others which I forgot.

Now, I just use it as an alarm to get up and it's the same folkish, country music that shouldn't even be in the same universe as rock. Either that or songs that are trying to jump on the dubstep bandwagon with a "Look! We can do it too!". I rarely hear rock on that station anymore which is pretty sad.

It's stuff like that which is why I've stopped listening to any radio and stopped taking music "advice" from people. Why isn't there a metal radio station? Or even an industrial one? That would be damn awesome.. but noo... all we get to have is this shitty pop music. It's the same 5 songs constantly.

You haven't got the faintest idea what you're talking about.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #59 on: 15 Aug 2013, 09:55 »

There is of course the fact that people go where the money is and the money is in turning out new Justin Biebers and music from those new Justin Biebers. Mainstream radio is bought and paid for. That battle is lost. You'll never get anything else on there ever again.

But there are plenty of sources for your preferences.

http://www.blackmetalradio.com/index.php
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #60 on: 15 Aug 2013, 15:33 »

I was taking the term "pop music" not as "popular music" (genrally) but as the songs that get played 800 times in an hour every day on the radio

I fail to see the distinction, probably because there isn't one; those songs are played that frequently on 'pop radio' stations because those songs are successful on the Billboard charts, and they make it to those charts by way of single sales.

Overall, I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, we still have Gotye, and Sting is still alive so there's plenty of hope.

aside from The Song I Shall Not Refer To By Name, Gotye is fucking amazing.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 15 Aug 2013, 22:50 »

Even THAT SONG is a stroke of undiluted genius in my book.

KingOfIreland

« Reply #62 on: 16 Aug 2013, 05:45 »

Indeed, simple, straightforward music need not necessarily be bad. I enjoy it too.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #63 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:45 »

let me qualify my statement: that song used to be good. now it just makes me want to suicide every time I hear the familiar sounds of the intro pop up on the radio at work.

KingOfIreland

« Reply #64 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:59 »

Oh jesus, I hate the radio at work too.

The most distressing part about pop music (Apart from the huge amount of drivel) is that I hear the same fifteen songs on repeat every other hour and I have to use valuable battery life on my phone on listening to the classical radio station, which is actually really good but too focused on baroque.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #65 on: 17 Aug 2013, 03:11 »

One of the only good things about my brief time working at Co-Op was that Co-Op radio was surprisingly awesome.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 18 Aug 2013, 04:19 »

Oh man, I had it easy in my past few jobs, especially the last one before going to uni.
I had an iPod radio in the reception where I sat, and I could decide for myself what to listen to, more or less. Of course, if I had something brutal on I'd turn it down when customers came in, but still. I listened to so much Tom Waits and shit like that, it was incredible, and if I did want pop radio I could just flick it on and turn it off when I tired of it.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 20 Aug 2013, 04:21 »

I work in an office on my own computer so I just plug in headphones and Spotify all day

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #68 on: 20 Aug 2013, 04:57 »

it isn't even just at work. if I wanna go do anything in any indoor public place aside from the coffee shop where my bandmate works, I get the same horse dick shoved down my throat.

something I just noticed while in conversation with Gaz re: Rihanna's "We Found Love": square wave upward sliding synth with a syncopated staccato attack, usually playing triplets or thereabouts. Jesus fucking Christ that is the most cliche sound effect you can fucking put in a song, and it's literally painful to my ears. God, I cringe just thinking about it. That cannot possibly be good for your hearing.

kyomi

« Reply #69 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:47 »

Previous reply was pretty much just getting pissed at how everything seems to go that way. I had a radio station I would listen to a lot because it was an actual Rock station and played nothing but that. It was a way to get away from all of the "normal" stations but recently they've turned into a folk-like station.. they rarely play any more rock music. (Rock as in Korn, Linkin park, Limp Bizkit and the such.. there was a lot more different artists, but those are just the ones I remember.

When I said metal/industrial radio station, I meant like an actual FM station or something of that nature. Luckily, at work I'm essentially the only one in the office and I have a streaming media server at home so I get to listen to my own metal/industrial radio station :)

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #70 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:20 »

(Rock as in Korn, Linkin park, Limp Bizkit and the such..)

Umm...

NEW DISTRESSING TREND!

Sexual exploitation of women in videos. And I know this isn't new at all, but it's massively bothering me. Specifically, Robin Thicke's shitbrick song that can be summed up by "faux-funk bass and tits". Talking about "tearing ass" is just beautiful.

Also Miley Cyrus's new song. She basically sucks off a sledgehammer and when not naked looks like Ripley when she exits the cyro-chamber. The lyric "You wreck me", with this visualisation of the singer, makes it obvious she's not just talking about her emotions. Cleverly planned "adulthood" PR that has started with the VMAs and shows no signs of stopping.

kyomi

« Reply #71 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:04 »

I knew I was going to get that comment as soon as I mentioned those bands, I'm not quite sure why though. They seem pretty cool to me... Although the new LP stuff is mostly garbage and a lot of the stuff LB did after chocolate starfish was pretty good too.

That Miley Cyrus bit I think is like law for Disney child stars... go for a bit and act like you're normal and then dive off the deep end.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #72 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:24 »

Cleverly planned "adulthood" PR that has started with the VMAs and shows no signs of stopping.

See also:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pop_star
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #73 on: 12 Sep 2013, 22:35 »

I hate Disney pop stars and 'manufactured' rock bands.

I need me some Gershwin and Tchiachovsky (spelled wrong, I know)
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Lupercal

« Reply #74 on: 13 Sep 2013, 07:59 »

I don't know, I try not to be a music snob but I wouldn't put those bands under 'rock'. Depends on your age too, I'm pretty sure everyone has listened to Hybrid Theory at least once.

Yeah, the Disney tweens are sexualised, so it shouldn't be a surprise by now. It's still pretty gross, though.

kyomi

« Reply #75 on: 16 Sep 2013, 05:33 »

I don't know, I try not to be a music snob but I wouldn't put those bands under 'rock'. Depends on your age too, I'm pretty sure everyone has listened to Hybrid Theory at least once.

Where would you put them? They certainly aren't metal or pop.. although essentially all music classification/organization is highly subjective.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #76 on: 19 Sep 2013, 12:33 »

I'd call them pop nu metal because that is what they are

Linkin Park has been reduced to being an even shittier Hoobastank

Lupercal

« Reply #77 on: 19 Sep 2013, 12:40 »

Any band that has a turntablist and a rapper alongside the singer, guitarist, drummer is something I'd define as rap metal. But I'd rather listen to Rage every day of the week if I'm dipping into that genre.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 21 Sep 2013, 06:23 »

Linkin Park's last couple of records have been fantastic.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #79 on: 22 Sep 2013, 16:30 »

... Irony, right? Sarcasm, perhaps?
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #80 on: 23 Sep 2013, 13:04 »

Neither. Linkin Park deserve all the credit in the world for even still existing and having a record deal, let alone shifting records.

Linkin Park are the first band I ever truly loved as a teenager (aside from Weezer, who I've literally been a fan of since I was six years old). They were my gateway drug into hip hop, into metal, into basically all of the music I never explored. So maybe I'm biased.

But I genuinely think their last two records are fantastic. Living Things reinvents no wheels but it's crammed with hooks and strikes a perfect balance between guitars and electronics. A Thousand Suns, meanwhile, is a baffling concept record about nuclear war that, whilst decades late for being relevant, takes six huge swinging pairs of balls to even attempt to record when you consider the source is basically the nu-metal Bon Jovi known for songs about breakups and shit.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #81 on: 23 Sep 2013, 14:20 »

You see, I love early LP. But lately they have felt the need to explore different avenues ... And it's rather boring to me. And I've never heard anyone say anything nice about those last two albums so I assumed you were sarcastic.

My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #82 on: 23 Sep 2013, 14:34 »

Here's me saying nice things about both records: http://madcap156.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/dead-stuff/

And here's me saying not very nice things about the one that came before it, Minutes To Midnight: http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=20&page=3&id=2063

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #83 on: 23 Sep 2013, 22:58 »

Those are nice reviews. It's like you done this before.

Anyway, any love for Collision Course?
My Art.

kyomi

« Reply #84 on: 24 Sep 2013, 14:53 »

You see, I love early LP. But lately they have felt the need to explore different avenues ... And it's rather boring to me.

This. I liked it before when Mike had a bigger part in the lyrics.. I find myself loving any song that he's the "main" lyricist in.
For anyone else that doesn't know, Fort Minor is/was Mike's side project and is completely awesome.

I have no idea why I love his stuff so much even though I really hate rap/hip hop stuff. It's kind of refreshing :)

Anyway, any love for Collision Course?

That is the type of stuff that I don't like personally and thought it was completely retarded to do.. Reanimation was better to me.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #85 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:24 »

I was watching a twitch stream and got to hear a bunch of pop songs I hadn't heard before.  Recognized one or two by name, one or two others were commented on.

Look, I'll be the first to say that I have terrible taste in music, and I don't really have a musical ear besides.  That said, every song I heard sounded like the vocals were being stylized by a synthesizer.  Is autotune really THAT bad?  Because as catchy as some of the toons were, I thought they sounded pretty terrible.

NB: I am also lol-old and a curmudgeon.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:44 »

I work in an office on my own computer so I just plug in headphones and Spotify all day

Not sure that would be appropriate where I am.  I doubt our company has unlimited bandwidth.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #87 on: 21 Jan 2014, 21:09 »

It seems to me that taking the piss out of Mumford and Sons is our national pasttime (Exhibit A and Exhibit B). I do not begrudge this in the slightest  :-P

The distressing trend in pop music in Australia is that it's begun sneaking its way into our alternative stations - Our last Triple J Hottest 100 (supposedly the benchmark for what's good music and what isn't) had so many friggin' Top 40 hits I thought I'd got the wrong station. And all the alternative artists seem to be doing is getting more and more electronic and autotuned.

Gahhhhhhhhhh.

[/rant]
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Lupercal

« Reply #88 on: 22 Jan 2014, 15:36 »

But Australia has AC/DC, Baby Animals and Wolfmother!

Your national identity, summed up in three era-defining bands.

I don't know what it is about Mumford & Sons, I'm just not a folk guy, although I do like the banjo in a novelty kind of way (the same way I like electronic drums, synths, and slap bass).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #89 on: 22 Jan 2014, 23:50 »

Mumford and Sons have made an entire career on shit that all sounds exactly the same.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #90 on: 23 Jan 2014, 01:46 »

A trend I am not liking right now is this whiny, electro, indie keyboard stuff. Things like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I and others like Barbarossa, Metronomy, etc.

It's not that they all sound really similar (though I could argue that they do), it's just that it seems very self absorbed and prentious for the sake of pretentiousness.

Just for transparency, I am also pretty damn pretentious about music myself.
La vie est drôle

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #91 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:47 »

I used to be really into LP back in middle school (wasn't everyone?) and I still like a few songs from Hybrid Theory and MTM. Their lyrics are fairly generic but I feel like they were willing to dick around and have fun with their production, which is my real problem with a lot of the 'pop' stuff (not just today but ever).

M&S is a great example, they found a sound that works for a lot of people but they don't seem to be having a great deal of fun working on the music itself. I don't want to call it laziness or being formulaic, and just because a song is different doesn't give it merit. I'm just saying you can tell when the producer and the band enjoyed themselves and took a risk with some aspect of the music and that's what makes it interesting.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #92 on: 23 Jan 2014, 14:06 »

Simple rock is this: piano, guitars, drums. Too much else and you ruin things.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #93 on: 23 Jan 2014, 14:16 »

Ummm

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #94 on: 23 Jan 2014, 15:00 »

Simple rock is this: piano, guitars, drums. Too much else and you ruin things.
No singing? No bass? :roll:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #95 on: 23 Jan 2014, 18:27 »

Well, of course. You need to have Sir Paul do something in his old age, no? ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #96 on: 24 Jan 2014, 09:53 »

I've always liked bands with horns in them.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #97 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:16 »

And a crowd of young boys, they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll
Then the Sultans, yeah, the Sultans they play Creole

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #98 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:47 »

I've always liked bands with horns in them.

you should listen to Cursive.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #99 on: 25 Jan 2014, 01:27 »

Any band with me in has always got the horn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up