• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Emily's days of punning...

...are over for good.
- 6 (7.2%)
...until someone explains that Hannelore doesn't do puns.
- 13 (15.7%)
...has an obsession with peas.
- 0 (0%)
...and Q's.
- 3 (3.6%)
...has tried so hard to be the "good" child in her family.
- 6 (7.2%)
...are not over! No puns, no peas!
- 16 (19.3%)
...Oh, no, not again.
- 13 (15.7%)
...Waffles? (Wait, that's not a pun.)
- 9 (10.8%)
...needs to be given a second chance at peas.
- 17 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2440-2444 (6-10 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 72740 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Thanks for ignoring your fans on Android.

Android is next in their plans; there will also be a specific iPad version in time, and the opportunity to pay for a premium ad-free version.  Even Blackberry has been mentioned as a possibility.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Thanks for ignoring your fans on Android.

Android is next in their plans; there will also be a specific iPad version in time, and the opportunity to pay for a premium ad-free version.  Even Blackberry has been mentioned as a possibility.

Wish these app developers do the Android platforms at the same damn time. It's like they don't want my money.....

Edit: App developers, not Jeph, just to be clear.....

Truec

• Furry furrier

I would be totally in favor of the entire cast up and moving to New York.  They could all live in the same apartment building in those rent controlled apartments that only exist in sitcoms.  Marten could become a subway busker.  Dora could open a CoD franchise managed by Hannelore.  Steve could delve into whole new varieties of cereal he's never experienced before.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Wish these app developers do the Android platforms at the same damn time. It's like they don't want my money.....

Edit: App developers, not Jeph, just to be clear.....

This is migrating off topic, but iOS development tends to require less effort (much, much, MUCH fewer devices and OS versions to test on), with much more reward (more paying customers - Android users tend to be more cheap, so we're not as good of a target for paid software (I'm an Android user, too, although I don't care about this app, I get my comics via RSS)). Which is why other OSes tend to come later.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff........

Run after her. Talk about it.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff........

Run after her. Talk about it.

No, no! The opposite!
Run away from her! Leave silently!  :angel:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

pursuing baristaness/baristahood/baristiture as your life's ars gratia artis.
Ars gratia baristis? Of Angus' situation one might continue:

Vita brevis,
ars longa,
occasio praeceps,
experimentum periculosum,
iudicium difficile.

(click to show/hide)

Angus might feel it is best to see if he passes the audition before breaking it to Faye. Tricky.  :-\
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Angus might feel it is best to see if he passes the audition before breaking it to Faye. Tricky.  :-\

Silly Angus, this is a comic strip! OF COURSE you'll pass the audition!  :mrgreen:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

No, no! The opposite!
Run away from her! Leave silently!  :angel:
If only that wasn't completely out of character. :)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Silly Angus, this is a comic strip! OF COURSE you'll pass the audition!  :mrgreen:

Pfff... Lubricus, watch and learn, ahem:

Angus leaves for the audition in NY without telling Faye his intentions (he makes something up about work).

While he is away, Faye finds the flyer / Angus' boss calls for an emergency gig.

Angus fails the audition and upon returning is faced with an aggravated Faye all going "Why didn't you tell me?! Don't you trust me?!"

They fight, Faye storms out, cue regular sitcom bullshit until equilibrium sets back in after about 20 awkward strips about handling arguments and relationships better.

BAM! ... I feel dirty now.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Nah, I think it fits better with Angus' character that he will succeed at such an audition. And the drama resulting from his having to move to NY with or without Faye fits better with the overall theme of the comic, too, I think.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Or, Jeph will screw with us by writing the arc so that at dinner, Angus and Faye talk it out, come to a reasonable decision, and then Pintsize will do something to make us all forget the previous few panels.

Interesting foreshadowing though - Jeph's usually a little less obvious.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

But would it be in Angus' character to just up and go like that? He loves Faye, and knows her history with her father, and as such would have an inkling of what could likely happen if he did leave her behind (which could probably be more dramatic than mere drama).

But that being said, Faye will definitely feel like a bitch for not letting Angus pursue his dreams. But can she then just up and leave her social circle that she had a hard enough time to build (admittedly it is only about 3 hours away (Google Maps is my friend...)), and build a new life in New York?

How the hell do you compromise in that situation?
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

Angus' expression in panels 4 and 6 is breaking my heart.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I may be the odd person here but I don't think Angus asking in bed was an odd thing. Around the end of the day is sort of when all my thoughts come together so I have the occasional deep thought to express.

Faye and Angus' relationship seems very solid to me. Yeah, they have spats but they both like the snarkiness of each other. They're not really fights about their relationship. In this case, the night before was cut short but Faye brought it up again and apologised and they calmly, if briefly, talked it out. I would say Angus will bring this up to her again and was hoping to do it the night before, before Faye's answer to his question.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Back at 2006 Faye's hair is too long to easily see her ears, the next time we see her in 2016, it's cut slightly differently, and we can see her ears, and still can since it's continued to be styled similarly. ...

Someone posted a link to 1199 in another thread, and Faye has the double piercing in her right ear there as well, clearly visible in the second panel, so it has been around for quite a while.
Apparently her left ear is double-pierced too.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I now officially predict this thread will hit double-digit pages by Thursday.  :psyduck:

And yes, I was projecting a bit, but it just seemed like Faye/Angus was too much of a good thing. If Dora/Marten meant anything, it was an indication that relationships in this little cleanser-sponsored oeuvre don't last forever.

Long term relationships aren't funny to write, and can actually be difficult to deal with, without resorting to the "Mad About You" effect (essentially having the writers script what happens in their "real" lives).

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Nah, I think it fits better with Angus' character that he will succeed at such an audition. And the drama resulting from his having to move to NY with or without Faye fits better with the overall theme of the comic, too, I think.
Hm... right you are. I've been watching too much Friends lately. ~~
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@jwhouk - We're only on page 3 now, not exactly a lightning pace.

@Skewbrow - Why run? He knows where she'll be all day, he can find her if he wants to talk about it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Angus leaves for the audition in NY without telling Faye his intentions (he makes something up about work).

While he is away, Faye finds the flyer / Angus' boss calls for an emergency gig.

Angus fails the audition and upon returning is faced with an aggravated Faye all going "Why didn't you tell me?! Don't you trust me?!"

They fight, Faye storms out, cue regular sitcom bullshit until equilibrium sets back in after about 20 awkward strips about handling arguments and relationships better.

SPOILER tags next time please,  you just ruined the next three months of comics.  Dr. Tad.    :-D

kaeawc

• Not quite a lurker
  • ş╲˚\╭ᴖ_ᴖ╮/˚╱ş

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Even I, rubbish at relationships that I am, know to tell your partner about possible life changing decisions while you are thinking about them, well before you actually take them.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

How long is the actual potential distance?

Smallest

• Curry sauce

It wouldn't be made up, exactly. "Yeah, I have a job in NY" is pretty suitable both for Faye to hear and as the truth.

I may be the odd person here but I don't think Angus asking in bed was an odd thing. Around the end of the day is sort of when all my thoughts come together so I have the occasional deep thought to express.
I agree. We talk about almost everything right before bed. If it's something sad and dramatic like that, you are also in prime position for hugs (or sex, which is a way better way to feel better). Mind, we live together and are basically married, and as far as I know Angus is just spending the night, so it might feel a bit more intrusive, even if it's still a good time.
(Angus is living with Marigold still, right? If he wasn't I'm pretty sure it would be Hannergold and the apartment would never be dirty again, but that hasn't happened)

ETA- Looks like I was wrong and that's Angus' apartment (by the colour/decor), so it shouldn't have been that invasive, either.

Faye and Angus' relationship seems very solid to me. Yeah, they have spats but they both like the snarkiness of each other. They're not really fights about their relationship. In this case, the night before was cut short but Faye brought it up again and apologised and they calmly, if briefly, talked it out. I would say Angus will bring this up to her again and was hoping to do it the night before, before Faye's answer to his question.
I don't think we know enough to say that. It seems kind of flat to me, like they date, have sex, and love each other, but there's neither passion nor feeling of length to it. The foreshadowing comic linked above could switch careers with the relationship, and that would be how it looks to me ("meh, good enough"). The only times they even seem like more than friends to me are bed/makeout scenes, rather than during dramatic events or talking about things, especially since I'm pretty sure Marten and Dora are still much closer to her than Angus (which is not a bad thing, but means that there is a distance there).

I don't mean it's a bad relationship, just that it could go either way. Nitpicking found negativity, and even if that's a little silly, it means it's possible for it to end soon.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2013, 12:08 by Smallest »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I think it may just be a difference in what romantic relationships are personally to people but for me, a close friend I'm intimate is my relationship. Faye judges Angus as someone to trust despite how hard that is for her and that's a big element. Although it's true there's a lot we haven't seen of them as a couple.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I am reasonably sure this is covered under Jeph's "I won't do Shakespearean misunderstandings". I think.

Now I fear.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

How long is the actual potential distance?

Let me Google that for you...

@Westrim: saying he wants to move there and actually having an opportunity for something there are two different things... but I'm picking nits at this point. 

Despite my long term identification with Angus, this is a really hard call - Best thing is to tell Faye about the opportunity, and be open.  "Hey, that 5 year thing?  Well, the reason I asked was...".  Then send in the "resume" (which probably needs to include some video of your work), and see if you even get past the first round. 

If not, moot point. 

If you do, well... then you have some real thinking and talking to do. 

He will, of course, because one of his prep school pals is the talent coordinator for Worldwide Panties now. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

azurite

• Not quite a lurker

Despite my long term identification with Angus, this is a really hard call - Best thing is to tell Faye about the opportunity, and be open.  "Hey, that 5 year thing?  Well, the reason I asked was...".  Then send in the "resume" (which probably needs to include some video of your work), and see if you even get past the first round. 

Unless what he's starting to think is that, whether he gets the flier gig or not, he'd rather be living in NYC. Which might be why the initial question to Faye was "where do you see yourself in five years," not "What would you think of moving to New York with me if I get a job out there?"

3 hours really isn't that bad a commute for a long distance thing. They could visit for weekends and, if "The Nightly Show" is anything like it's "our world" companion, during that every-fourth-week the crew gets off. BUT that kind of dynamic can only work for so long. Eventually, someone is going to have to move. If he's planning on permanently living in the city and she has no interest in living there herself, then it might be better to just recognize it for the incompatibility it is and move on.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2013, 11:47 by azurite »

westrim

He could always pull a Biden and use Amtrak back and forth every day.

Latias

• Plantmonster

BUT that kind of dynamic can only work for so long.

Not necessarily true at all. There are people who have very long distance relationships for very long periods of time. Not everyone is capable of doing this, of course, but that dynamic CAN work, especially when given they're actually within easy driving distance. We don't know anything about how either of them feels about a long distance relationship, so it's a bit early to proclaim that a long distance relationship can't work out long term.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Back at 2006 Faye's hair is too long to easily see her ears, the next time we see her in 2016, it's cut slightly differently, and we can see her ears, and still can since it's continued to be styled similarly. ...
Someone posted a link to 1199 in another thread, and Faye has the double piercing in her right ear there as well, clearly visible in the second panel, so it has been around for quite a while.
Apparently her left ear is double-pierced too.

Yes, everywhere I could see her left ear clealy, it also seems to have two piercings.

Has there ever been any discussions about any other piercings?  The only one I can recall was with Tai, Marten and Dora talking about Tai's new one.

... Interesting foreshadowing though - Jeph's usually a little less obvious.

Well, of course Jeph could be a lot more cunning than we're giving him credit for, and do something else entirely.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

That's a three and a half hour commute, and $42 a day. (source: amtrak.com, specified stations as SPG and NYP)

He might be better off driving every day.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Has there ever been any discussions about any other piercings?  The only one I can recall was with Tai, Marten and Dora talking about Tai's new one.

There was some surprise expressed about Hanners having piercings, although I cannot find the strip right now.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners has had piercings since the beginning... Something about piercing salons actually being very clean.

Angus doesn't actually have a job yet. He hasn't actually asked her to move to the city yet, it seems like he's throwing out typical mid-relationship half-serious half-playful trial balloon banter at this point but that's definitely a Checkhov's Flyer.

In comic time they've been together probably less then a year? Good time to talk about such things. Her answer doesn't even necessarily exclude the possibility of moving...eventually... But it'll take some character development before she's ready.

Plenty of places this could go.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm sorry, but I can't get the image of Chekhov's flyer out of my head...

And now, neither can you! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

There was some surprise expressed about Hanners having piercings, although I cannot find the strip right now.

Hanners has had piercings since the beginning... Something about piercing salons actually being very clean.

Doh. <fx:smacks head>  Yes of course there was some discussion about her ear piercings, and when you see her ears, she has quite a lot!  She certainly easily beats Faye's two per ear. :-D
Actually, it is rocket science.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

To be exact, Hanners has 10 ear piercings, five in each ear.

westrim

That's a three and a half hour commute, and $42 a day. (source: amtrak.com, specified stations as SPG and NYP)

He might be better off driving every day.
If he's earning Colbert Cash, or even Aasif Mandvi Cash, I don't think the cost would be a problem. He could just teleconference with the writers until he gets there.

How the heck would driving that distance be better?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, gas, tolls and parking would almost certainly be more than $42 a day. Hell, parking alone in the city would come close.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

tassaron

• Not quite a lurker
    • Tassaron.com

Oh yay, I got my wish for some more Faye/Angus time granted. Can't wait to see where this leads.

azurite

• Not quite a lurker

BUT that kind of dynamic can only work for so long.

Not necessarily true at all. There are people who have very long distance relationships for very long periods of time. Not everyone is capable of doing this, of course, but that dynamic CAN work, especially when given they're actually within easy driving distance. We don't know anything about how either of them feels about a long distance relationship, so it's a bit early to proclaim that a long distance relationship can't work out long term.

We did east coast/midwest long distance for five years, and man, if I had a nickel for every time we got the it-won't-work-I-could-never-live-like-that spiel, I'd have a lot of nickels. For some people, long distance is better. It was better for me when I was in my twenties... but, after a point, we had to decide if we were going to have a life together or not. So one of us had to move.

I think I missed the mark with my previous post, anyway - what Angus was actually asking was if Faye saw herself with HIM in five years, if he was in her long term plans. I know her reactions would have made me pretty uncomfortable about my prospects.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

I think I missed the mark with my previous post, anyway - what Angus was actually asking was if Faye saw herself with HIM in five years, if he was in her long term plans. I know her reactions would have made me pretty uncomfortable about my prospects.
I believe it's been shown that Faye's abandonment issues have also led to some fairly massive commitment issues and a generic lack of planning when it comes to life. She obviously has no direction in life and one year in the future, never mind five, is probably not something that's on her radar. It looks fairly certain we're about to see a serious Faye-Angus fight, but I think the bigger foreshadowing is that Faye's about to go through some fairly massive character growth.
Quis pater tibi est?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Re: 5 year plans

I can't make them - not even 5 month plans. Life's too uncertain.
20 year plans - yes, those we have, full of contingency sub-plans. But they're not detailed.

When I was 10, I decided what i wanted to do with my life.
I wanted to travel the world.
I wanted to emigrate to Australia - thanks to a school project I did at age 6 on the place.
I wanted to work on a space program in the year 2000. Maybe offplanet - that didn't seem unlikely in 1968.
I wanted a husband, and children.
I wanted a PhD in Pure Maths and Astrophysics, like Zoe (the Dr Who companion).

I had to make certain concessions to reality when it came to implementation, though not major ones. The biggest was that I didn't have a female puberty, I had to pretend to be a boy. That actually made a lot of my career choices easier, though emotionally it was devastating. I ended up falling in love with another gal, so it had advantages there. She's straight.

I also found out I was Intersex, and was told the odds of me ever having children were remote. 100:1 against - though we now know that was wrong, more like 100,000,000 to 1 against. But... we had a child anyway. I wanted a large family, but for me, 1 is larger than could reasonably be expected.

At Uni, I kept up with the Pure Maths, but dropped Physics because I found Computer Science more interesting. And because there were (and are) a lot of Astrophysicists driving cabs, you had to be in the top few percent.

More through luck than effort, I got the rest. The family emigrated to Australia (I only got 2 weeks notice). I travelled the world as part of my job - from Zuerich to Seoul and Southampton, Bremen and Bangkok to Akron, Ohio and Hengelo, Overijssel. I played a major role in Australia's second space program - before, like the first one, it too was shut down after achieving spectacular success. Shut down in fact because it was so successful, like the first, accomplishing all objectives, but with no plans by a myopic government for any follow-up.

Now I better get back to my thesis if I'm going to get my doctorate. I have all the published papers, it's just a matter of writing it up.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

westrim

^So, mission mostly accomplishedish!

Marten is once again the punching bag. Yay.

It's not even true. Sure, he's lost direction, but he pretty solidly noted his desire to be in a band and create music. That's more than Faye has expressed- she's got art, but every time it comes up she treats it like more like a hassle than an interest.

This strip bugs me.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 00:51 by Westrim »

Loki

• comeback tour!

My jimmies, too, are rustled.
(click to show/hide)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten's far from the only cast member with that problem!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I agree with the rest of you.

What's actually the difference between Faye's attitude and Marten's? That's what I want to know.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Perhaps only that Faye is asking the question? Faye has at least created and sold one sculpture. Marten and his band, as far as we know, have not performed a single gig, distributed an EP, or anything.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I concur with Westrim.

Akima here's a thought, band type stuff takes a lot of work, as far as we know, Marten works, and goes to practice regularly. He doesn't get compensated for practice, he does it because he loves it. People have tried to beat Faye with money for her to do her art thing and it took threats of physical violence from Dora to motivate her to do it. Something she theoretically loves.

Personal opinion? I'd say Marten has more direction then Faye. He knows what he loves, and he's pursuing it. The hard way maybe but he is pursuing it. Course no one in the case beats Dora for direction. Except for the serious "issues" she's got it together otherwise.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Latias

• Plantmonster

Perhaps only that Faye is asking the question? Faye has at least created and sold one sculpture. Marten and his band, as far as we know, have not performed a single gig, distributed an EP, or anything.

That does not mean he hasn't put any effort into it. Faye may have done it, but only because Dora pushed her into doing it. Marten is, at least, actively pursuing it out of his own interest.

I am not a fan of the last panel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up