• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Emily's days of punning...

...are over for good.
- 6 (7.2%)
...until someone explains that Hannelore doesn't do puns.
- 13 (15.7%)
...has an obsession with peas.
- 0 (0%)
...and Q's.
- 3 (3.6%)
...has tried so hard to be the "good" child in her family.
- 6 (7.2%)
...are not over! No puns, no peas!
- 16 (19.3%)
...Oh, no, not again.
- 13 (15.7%)
...Waffles? (Wait, that's not a pun.)
- 9 (10.8%)
...needs to be given a second chance at peas.
- 17 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2440-2444 (6-10 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 72742 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd hardly call it hassling, these are important questions to ask when you're in a serious relationship.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Agreed, Madness.

So does this mean there isn't a panel with Penelope angrily wanting to be balls deep in Faye? Because even though I don't ship that, it sounds hilarious and I'm kind of disappointed.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I'd hardly call it hassling, these are important questions to ask when you're in a serious relationship.

I don't think Angus went about it smoothest of ways though.  His response was basically a "well, why wouldn't you wanna move.  The financial gain, etc."  Kinda crass way to put that considering Hanners, Marten, and Dora are basically family to Faye.  Really tight, close family and after that mess with her father, the seed of loss in her doesn't wanna be too far from them.  And having that conversation in the middle of the night randomly.  Wouldn't be my first choice.

Faye seems to like comfort and familiarity now. 

Anyway, she'd probably irked because she wanted to know what Angus really wanted 5 years from now and he made a joke instead.  That looks like a panic attack face on Faye in the last panel.

[I'm actually surprised they've gone this long without having any kind of fight.  Not that this as regressed to a fight yet, but they've been the "perfect couple" as it were to date.  Bout time they had some drama in their relationship]

Anyway, on the 5 year thing.  I think it is just laziness on the part of interviewers to ask it.  Same for the retarded "what are you weaknesses" question.  Really stupid question.  Turns the focus onto what you suck at, rather than what you are really really good at. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You actually make an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. This shows how little Angus really knows Faye.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

You actually make an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. This shows how little Angus really knows Faye.

Yeah, come to think of it.  A good situation with stable friends is not all that easy to find.  She kinda lucked into Marten.  And likewise for Marten.  They were both rather lonely in the beginning of the strip.  Now they have a nice sized circle of friends. 

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

As I see it, Angus does answer the question. If he had said "with you", Faye might have felt bad for not saying that. So he phrases it in a humorous manner.

I don't think he was fishing for "with you" from Faye. If so, his follow up questions are very strange. When asked, he can not very well say "In New York". After what Faye has just said, that would imply "with or without you".
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

[I'm actually surprised they've gone this long without having any kind of fight.  Not that this as regressed to a fight yet, but they've been the "perfect couple" as it were to date.  Bout time they had some drama in their relationship]

On screen, they had the toilet seat fight, and the argument about music that Marten brought to a halt. Off screen, it's all but certain there have been others.

That was a deeply insightful point you made about Faye's need for a close circle of friends. Her answer still made me unhappy for her. Jeph has said that CoD pays barely enough to live on. It's not the sort of thing to make permanent, unless you're working for someone near retirement from whom you might inherit the shop, or are pursuing baristaness/baristahood/baristiture as your life's ars gratia artis.

(Is Coffee of Doom a baristocracy?)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

I read as Angus's response to her initial blowoff as "you have so much potential and I want to see you achieve it."

Her answer doesn't indicate that her friends are the reason, so we can't assume that. All her answer really suggests is the recurring theme of her being aimless and unmotivated.

The assumption that he asked out of the blue in the middle of the night has come up several times, but we have no idea what preceded this.

Her face looks more like "TMI!" than "PANIC!"

Interviewer questions about the future and weaknesses are more about looking for how you can turn things around- when they ask about the future, they want to know what you'll do in the present, and they ask about your weaknesses to see how you overcome them.

No, CoD is a dictatorship with baristasants.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2013, 12:52 by Westrim »

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

... Hanners, Marten, and Dora are basically family to Faye.  Really tight, close family and after that mess with her father, the seed of loss in her doesn't wanna be too far from them ... Faye seems to like comfort and familiarity now ...

Exactly, Faye hasn't particularly had an easy time of it, with her father especially, so the relative current stability, and closeness is likely to be something she'll value, and doesn't want to lose, even if she could be making more money.  This may not be an entirely conscious thought, but it's likely that the thought of loosing any of that (and she doesn't need to move, or change friends) is not going to generate a positive response, although it may start her thinking about things.

The others in the story aren't necessarily paragons of financial stability either, Marten and Marigold both have made significant expenditures, albeit on Momo's new chassis in Marigold's case which is slightly more sensible than Marten's instruments.

... And having that conversation in the middle of the night randomly ... Anyway, she'd probably irked because she wanted to know what Angus really wanted 5 years from now and he made a joke instead. ...

That was spectacularly stupid of Angus to refuse to answer her, when she replied in a reasonable, if not ideal way, to his question, and he then choose to make light of it when she asked the same thing.

... I'm actually surprised they've gone this long without having any kind of fight ...

They did start off with some minor fighting in CoD, albeit being Angus' way to introduce himself to Faye, and her natural tendency to be sharp towards all of the customers, and especially any who tried to be clever back at her.

Having said that, most people manage to occasionally do stupid things in relationships, and phrase things in a less than optimal fashion.  I certainly have, and I'm sure most of us on here have as well.  Doing and saying stupid things, especially when lying in bed, and possibly not thinking quite as clearly as when fully awake, is just one of those facts of life, and which you normally regret later with a "why did I say that?".  It also makes for a more exciting storyline.

Interviewers use questions like "Where do you want to be in five years" and "What are your weaknesses?" because they should invoke a certain sort of thoughtful response, although this sort of question is used so much now, that all it really does is demonstrate whether you've planned for the interview by coming up with a suitable answer prior to the interview (I know I would).  It's not really a useful question any more, and just suggests an interviewer without much originality in their planning.
Actually, it is rocket science.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Back at 2006 Faye's hair is too long to easily see her ears, the next time we see her in 2016, it's cut slightly differently, and we can see her ears, and still can since it's continued to be styled similarly. ...

Someone posted a link to 1199 in another thread, and Faye has the double piercing in her right ear there as well, clearly visible in the second panel, so it has been around for quite a while.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

On the "middle of the night" thing...

Please note that in the first few panels, Faye has her glasses on and is checking her phone (messages/email/whatever).  This is not the middle of the night, this is settling in for the night.  Not an unusual time to have a discussion and a few musings, and not an uncommon time at all to be thinking (worrying?) about the future. 

Angus' last trip to the city may have resulted in an opportunity that he's thinking about, and he's trying to break it to her... or he just feels that they'd both have a better life there. 

I don't think this is the beginning of the end or anything, but it's definitely an important question in a relationship that has been going on for a while.  Some people never face it, and just go with the flow.  But Angus isn't the type to avoid anything - he's facing it head on, rather like the way he courted Faye. 

How long have they been dating now, anyway?  They were wearing coats soon after it started (Fall?) and it's summer now - maybe 8 - 9 months or so? 

That's serious territory...

Not as long as Wil and Penne, but getting there! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I just wondered "how long have Wil and Penny been together?" and holy archive dive, it's almost half the history of the comic. In less than a hundred strips they'll overtake Dora and Marten.

Latias

• Plantmonster

Regarding the "balls deep" comment and Faye's reaction to it, I believe it is a reference to anal sex. I am asexual and thus not intimately familiar with sexual slang, but the context I've heard it used in before makes it sound very much like a term meant for anal sex. The reaction makes perfect sense if Faye finds anal sex disgusting or otherwise unappealing.

(Although it's getting a bit funny how Tai and Dora hooked up only to be shuffled aside immediately...)

Of course. Marten is the primary focus of the comic, and two secondary characters suddenly being in a relationship doesn't change the overall focus to them. Tai and Dora's relationship is far from the first between secondary characters - in fact, there are three others currently ongoing (Faye/Angus, Will/Penelope, Steve/Cosette) which are all on the sidelines. That's just how the webcomic works.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

The reaction makes perfect sense if Faye finds anal sex disgusting or otherwise unappealing.

This interpretation makes sense but makes me sad, both because Faye is THAT opposed to anal and because Angus is joking about it despite her feelings.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dora is, on the other hand, the center of the social circle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Latias, don't be filthy, he's clearly talking about filling her jacuzzi with playpen balls and jumping in. (Seriously, though, it could mean any orifice I suppose, as long as one is sufficiently inserted.)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i dreamt about Claire the other night.. very vividly. o.o

in other news: i do agree with those above, Angus wasn't very tactful with it. it seemed to smell a bit of "but there's all these positives to moving, what's WRONG with you?". seemed a bit accusatory, and whether or not that was what Jeph intended, that's how it came across. i'm with Faye on this one. bit of a fail on Angus' part.
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

very vividly?
how vivid? are we talking bad accident in the morning vivid or "ZOMG I'M IN A DREAM WITH MY FAVOURITE CARTOON CHARACTER" vivid?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

...what's the difference?

No, CoD is a dictatorship with baristasants.

This reminds me of a joke.

The punchline is "The baristacrats".
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

How'd they fit an entire espresso machine up there? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Which shop is known
for staff who show their claws?
Which shop has staff
who'll scowl and charge you more?
Which shop makes you wear
the little haaaaats?
Naturellement! The baristacrats!

Yes, I know that the shop isn't called...I'm tired and I knocked it out in about two minutes.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Was that from the Baristacats?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I just wondered "how long have Wil and Penny been together?" and holy archive dive, it's almost half the history of the comic. In less than a hundred strips they'll overtake Dora and Marten.

I think the allosaurus' got Penelope.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

There's so much projection going on in this thread we could show a movie!

Wow. I think I've found my new signature.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Moanerette

• Not quite a lurker

Some interesting thoughts.

It's not that I think that a couple shouldn't ever discuss the future, simply that dropping a glib question like that on someone who's about to go to sleep strikes me as rather asinine - and from her response, it seems that Faye thinks the same. It's unwelcome noise. Then when she tries to turn the tables, he cops out with a crude gag, despite her obviously being a bit rattled and not showing any signs of being 'in the mood'. No hanging offence, but somewhat irksome. Time and a place and all that. Am I projecting? Possibly, but I think it's a fair reading. Could be setting up an interesting storyline for these two, anyway.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Didn't Marigold describe Angus as a good guy whose mouth gets ahead of his brain sometimes?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

New comic.

Please tell me that:

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Dun dun dun!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Angus' last trip to the city may have resulted in an opportunity that he's thinking about, and he's trying to break it to her...

Holy crap! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

It's not enough for Angus to meet Stephen Colbert, he needs to be Stephen Colbert (by following a similar career path).

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

angus noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'll be sad if Jeph writes Angus out. I like him.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Who is in New York for some reason?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Dora is, on the other hand, the center of the social circle.
I'd say she was the center of the social circle and she was the initial hub that pulled everything together. Now that she's a secondary character again Marten is the center, both in terms of story and in terms of graph connectivity.
Quis pater tibi est?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Angus really did miss a golden opportunity to bring this topic up with Faye in favour of making a joke... gah. I can only guess that after Faye's response, he was too nervous to actually tell her what he wants.

yay, miscommunication, hilarity ensues.  :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Surely it's no longer hosted by Jon Steward, but John Olver.

(...wait, John Olver?  Who gave him a show?)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jeph said QC is in a quantum state superposing the current era and 2006.

It's not a prohibitive distance for a commuter relationship but that would be a real challenge to someone with abandonment issues like those of the Pugnacious Peach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The Nightly Show is, of course, aired every day at 10AM.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

westrim

There's so much projection going on in this thread we could show a movie!
Wow. I think I've found my new signature.
Glad I could help!

Angus' last trip to the city may have resulted in an opportunity that he's thinking about, and he's trying to break it to her...
Holy crap!
*Cough*
Angus is planning on moving to NY. That's where the jobs are for him, and he clearly likes it there. He loves Faye, and he wants her to come with him and be with her, but if it comes down to staying put because of her neuroses or pursuing his dreams and unwillingness to grow up and face the future, dreams should win (being held back from pursuing the dreams would kill the love anyway). He wanted some variation of "with you," and since he didn't get it things aren't looking too good for them. Not thinking about the future is generally bad for the future, as any corporation paying cleanup costs can verify.
:mrgreen:

Smallest

• Curry sauce

As I just said aloud to boyfriend:
I think they should break up and he should do it because I don't think it would work for the cast to have a TV guy and I don't think Faye could do a long distance relationship and I don't think Faye should leave.

My sentence structure is much worse aloud, thus the ROS, but I stand by that. I don't think Faye leaving would be good, for the aforementioned reasons about her "family" and stable everything being there, and I think she would be bad at/unhappy in a long distance relationship. I also don't think Angus should stunt himself nor that a regular character should be a TV host, because the former is sad and the later is blah.

Of course, perhaps they would agree he should try, and he would fail, and it would be fine.

ETA- Good job to the guessers!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I predict that Angus is going to ask someone for advice.

Maybe Steve who is going to offer him some cereal.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The plot thickens
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

The plot thickens
Nah, that's just the oatmeal.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!

Buh-Bye, Angus!

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Hope to hear from you never!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Buh-Bye, Angus!
Someone is handling this much better than they should. :-D

@Comic:
So "the city" was NY. Huh.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Buh-Bye, Angus!

... but that would not be good for Faye, since as others have said, she probably has abandonment issues, so Angus leaving her for a job in NY would probably make her unhappy, and I like a happy Faye!

The alternative is Angus not doing that, and being resentful towards Faye for limiting his career choices (although if he had intentions in that direction, you would kind of wonder why he's not somewhere like NY already).

Heh, it'll make for some interesting developments either way, but I don't want to see Faye going back to her old sarcy character, even if that probably works better for the strip!

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Buh-Bye, Angus!

... but that would not be good for Faye, since as others have said, she probably has abandonment issues, so Angus leaving her for a job in NY would probably make her unhappy, and I like a happy Faye!

The alternative is Angus not doing that, and being resentful towards Faye for limiting his career choices (although if he had intentions in that direction, you would kind of wonder why he's not somewhere like NY already).

Heh, it'll make for some interesting developments either way, but I don't want to see Faye going back to her old sarcy character, even if that probably works better for the strip!
He's always been interested in comedic acting.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

You know, I was just thinking, that strip is a huge FOREBODE if Angus were to leave for NYC in the end.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Big news! People have been clamoring for a QC iOS app for a long time, and now there finally is one! NOT ONLY THAT, it contains dozens of other fantastic webcomics! It is called Comic Chameleon and if you have an iPhone or iPad you should totally check it out.

Thanks for ignoring your fans on Android.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Thanks for ignoring your fans on Android.
Quote from: pwhodges
Comic Chameleon is a mobile app, for iOS only at present, but Android will come
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up